• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReaperXL7

6971584826_722c08998b_b.jpg

6971584916_67b28fa101_o.jpg

6971584906_369b96d28a_o.png

7117662167_81279679ec_o.png

6971584810_014d19c712_o.jpg

What is Playstation All Stars Battle Royale?

So what is PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale? First and foremost, it’s a celebration of a storied history of great characters and rich worlds brought together in one game. And for us, there’s no better way to celebrate than by creating an experience that players can sit around one screen and enjoy together. There are probably a few types of games that can be enjoyed by four players simultaneously, but for us at SuperBot, a brawler was the obvious choice for one really good reason: the developers here at SuperBot really like fighting games. We love playing them and we love making them. With PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, we set out to make an experience accessible enough for all PlayStation fans to enjoy while also creating something deep enough for the serious fighting game aficionado. We think this “accessible yet deep” strategy is the perfect way to bring PlayStation fans of all stripes together.

Press Release:
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) today announced the release of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, available for PlayStation 3 (PS3). Developed by SuperBot Entertainment, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is the ultimate four-player brawler, influenced by some of the greatest PlayStation themes and characters of all time. Spanning the entire PlayStation universe, players will select and control the likes of iconic characters such as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, and Sly Cooper among others. Additionally, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will include a line-up of special characters from some of the game industry’s top third party developers and publishers. With a host of playable characters, special attacks, themed stages, and mash up music, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale pits players in a deep fighting game that draws inspiration throughout the colorful PlayStation universe.

“PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale delivers a veritable encyclopedia of PlayStation’s rich gaming history,” said Guy Longworth, Senior Vice President of Marketing, SCEA. “This game is a celebration for fans of PlayStation and we are excited to deliver the most comprehensive brawler available.”

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gives players access to a wide variety of PlayStation characters and ties in the excitement of a four player, full screen brawler. Players can fight in a variety of configurations, including versus matches for four, team battles, special practice modes, and team up with friends to take on players online. Online battles will deliver a new set of challenges, including Tournament mode, Special Event Battle, and Custom Matches. In Tournament, players are matched online to gain experience and special awards. Special Event Battles allow SuperBot to set match parameters daily, and players earn experience points towards an overall leaderboard based on performance. Players can also arrange customized matches with their own rules.

Environments and music are drawn from the rich and varied history of PlayStation titles, then thrown together in unique mash ups that showcase each property in a new setting. The mash up elements will introduce a secondary IP to an existing theme, allowing situations where characters and environments from completely different PlayStation IP can interact during a match. The in-game music, composed by John King of the Dust Brothers, will also stay true to the mash up theme by incorporating a mix of various IP soundtracks throughout.

In addition to a rich and deep online multiplayer experience, players can engage in several single player modes including Combat Trials and Arcade mode. In Combat Trials, players not only learn the basics of the game but perfect their skills through hundreds of unique challenges. Additionally players can play through a fixed level progression with prizes in Arcade mode.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has not yet been rated. For more information about the title, please visit www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com.

IGN:

After playing the game, speaking to the president of the studio and then playing the game some more, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is no longer a game I'm profoundly skeptical of, but one of my most-anticipated upcoming projects. There's no reason to be coy about its inspiration -- Super Smash Bros. undeniably paved the way for it -- but no reason exists to dismiss it as a clone, either. After all, it's not very often that a clone gives its inspiration a serious run for its money. And from what I've seen and played of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, it seems ready to do just that.

The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player, campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

PS Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/see-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-in-action/

Destructoid:

After several matches I came away pretty excited about All-Stars. Smash rip-off? Who cares! It's so fun that I'm not even drawing the connection anymore. It's so easy to get in and get wrapped up that I found that a string of fights takes place before you know it. Even with only six characters and four stages I'm sure I could have played all night if permitted. The characters are are an obvious draw, and with their fantastic control you want to keep playing them. The mashed-up stages are also a riot, and are all eye candy to boot. If they get the balance down pat and add the right characters, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will be a smashing success. I'm sure they can pull it off, as the foundation has already been laid for a great fighting game.

- The team consists of members with extensive backgrounds in fighting and combat titles

- Either the left analog stick or the d-pad controls movement of your character.

- The right stick will let you perform throws, with different ones assigned to each direction.

- The X button jumps, and the other three face buttons are assigned to different attacks.

- L1 blocks and R1 picks up items.

- R2, executes a super move. While fighting, you'll build up a meter that lets you perform a super move that knocks out characters.

- Also, some attacks knock AP (action points) out of opponents, letting others pick them up to fill up these meters. There are three levels of supers, each one stronger than the last, and each requiring another filling of this meter. If you can manage to land hits and survive long enough, a level three super can knock out all other players, earning you points.

- Victory goes to the player with the highest number of KOs; knocking out a character adds to your score while being knocked out subtracts from it.

- So, there's nothing in the way of health bars here, as health doesn't really matter in the long run.

- Most of the matches I played were frantic free-for-alls that had us hitting each other in any way possible in an effort to get those meters filled up.

- get excited about the control, because it's outstanding. SuperBot really nailed it. It's fast, super-responsive, and never gets in the way of the crazy action. The in-air stuff is not floaty at all; jumps do what you need them to, when you need them to. I never had a problem blocking, platforming or recovering.

http://www.destructoid.com/our-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-wishlist-226562.phtml

Eurogamer:

So, yes, it's Super Smash Bros. for the PlayStation generation. And why not? "We're fans of fighting games - it's not something we shy away from," says Omar Kendall, game director of mouthful-of-a-title PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

"We're taking the best of what the genre has delivered over its storied history and we're adding our take on it as well," Kendall adds. "We're proud to exist in the same space as these games. We don't mind [the comparisons] at all - our game has a very unique and interesting gameplay feel to it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rs-battle-royale-preview-super-smashing-great

Gameinformer:

There's no denying where the inspiration for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale comes from, but I had fun during my time with it. Sony's characters may not fit the colorful, family-friendly mold of Nintendo's creations, but their differences make for some entertaining and varied attacks and play styles. While plenty of roster reveals are inevitable before Battle Royale is released, I can't help but wonder if it'll compare to the variety in Nintendo's fighter. That said, we wouldn't be surprised to see big names like Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Jak, and Ratchet join the fray (Crash Bandicoot is likely excluded thanks to the fact that he isn't Sony-exclusive anymore). It's far from a novel idea, but All-Stars Battle Royale made for a fast-paced and fun four-player experience in my time with it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...04/27/ps-all-stars-battle-royale-preview.aspx

Gametrailers:

Interview
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-interview-playstation-all-stars/729625

First Take (impressions)
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729633
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729631

Hit Points
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hit-points-playstation-all-stars/729627

G4
http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/66057...battle-royale-hands-on-preview-smashy-smashy/

Joystiq
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/27/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-smashes-through-the-playsta/

Shacknews
http://www.shacknews.com/article/73545/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-preview

Gameplay Features:
Smash bros gameplay confirmed
60 FPS confirmed (nerds)
multiplayer with options
3rd party characters are in
3 layers of super for each character, the Bars represent your "Super meter"
Mash Up Stages featuring elements from multiple fanchies, like God of War/ Patapon, Ratchet and Clank/ with God of War elements.
The aura glow around the characters signifies that your Super meter is full. It is not always present.
You can use D-pad or Analog to move around

Confrimed Characters:

(First Party)

Here's a quick rundown of the six debut characters:

Parappa the Rapper: Parappa is small and fast; a short-range melee character. His moves come right out of Chop Chop Master Onion's kung-fu dojo, though you'll have to be right up on your opponents to connect with most of them. One of his most useful moves is also pretty funny: he brings out his Boxy Boy boom box (it arrives with the classic "Aw yeah!" hip-hop sample) to the play field, where it spews AP bubbles that can be picked up to charge super meters. Smart players were using the boom box to level up and use Parappa's skateboard super, which dashes through and knocks out anyone in sight. It's a total dick move, but it works, and wins matches.

Radec: Killzone character Radec isn't as cute as our favorite dog rapper, but he makes up for it with badassness. He's quite the opposite of Parappa, working best as a long-distance attacker, with projectiles and lasers that easily land hits on the opposite side of the play field. His level one super gives the player a reticule that can be placed over any character to direct a large-scale fire attack.

Sweet Tooth: Those wanting to play as a strong bully will want to choose Twisted Metal's scary clown hero. He's huge and all about space control, with attacks that can send you flying. Up close he hits really hard, so stay away if you can. I loved using him to shoulder check enemies to send flying across the screen. His level three special is flashy, bringing fire and parts flying out of the sky to his body to turn him into Mechatooth, armed with a machine gun that will easily mow all opponents down.

Fat Princess: No one picked the big girl in the first rounds, but I found that she was one of my favorites after trying her out. I fell in love after seeing her match opening animation, which has her instantly plumping up after downing a piece of cake. Princess has swinging mid-range attacks that are fast and reliable, and they provide good defense, as a lot of jumping and blind swinging can take place. She's surprisingly agile and has lots of power.

Sly Cooper: Sly is unique in that he has no defense at all. Instead, and true to his character, he can turn invisible by hitting the block button. This makes him quite a bit more sneaky, as he can get behind opponents to use his special moves in close range. His normal attacks glide him from platform to platform, and he can fly/attack diagonally, making him great at recovery.

Kratos: Anyone that has enjoyed any of the God of War games will feel right at home with Kratos, as he plays exactly the same in All-Stars. He's the best all-arounder of the initial line-up, with a mix of both ranged and close quarters moves. His spin attacks take up huge space, and his spear-based pokes will push you back. He's a beast.

(Third Party Characters)

Third Party Characters have been confirmed, but none have been revealed yet. Pulling from 2 decades of material, so chances are good for some PS1, and PS2 characters.

(Confirmed Stages)

Interactive Stages

One stage, Dreamscape, looks like it came straight out of LittleBigPlanet, complete with stage creation pop-up menus in the background, randomly selecting platform pieces for you and your opponents to overcome. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the screens in the back of the stage become a backdrop for a Buzz! quiz show, with Buzz coming out to ask random trivia questions. In one fight we were asked, "Which Sony handheld was released in 2011." The text from the four multiple choice answers fly over each fighter, and it seems you're supposed to attack the correct answer. It's strange, but it works, and makes for some really wacky fights.

The other three stages we saw were just as fun. The Hades stage starts out looking just like God of War, but the background transitions to feature scenes and characters from Patapon, cute cheering and song included.

Another stage called Metropolis is straight out of Ratchet and Clank at first, with its moving platforms and conveyer belts, but then rain starts to pour, and a huge hydra pops up from the back to attack fighters.

My favorite stage mixes a Jak and Daxter village with Hot Shots Golf. From nowhere, with no notice, Hot Shots characters begin using the play field as a driving range, with ultra-hot golf balls raining down on you and your opponents like missiles.

Dreamscape feels different than the other stages, as it's set in the level editor of LittleBigPlanet. You see Pop-It bubbles and creation elements spring up throughout the fight, which creates different platforms to battle on. Keeping with the hybrid stage theme, it eventually turns into an impromptu game of Buzz! Quiz. A Playstation-related question appears on the screen, and the fighters have to stand on the platform that corresponds with the correct answer to avoid taking damage.

-Some Stages are combined between Franchises-

Hades stage (hades doing things during the fight) Includes Patapon elements.
Buzz stage (get quizzed DURING the fight)
LBP stage (starts off empty, stage builds as you play)
Sandover Village stage
Ratchet and Clank stage with Hydra from GoW

So many threads already, I figured it would be best to try and have one, Will Update with more information Soon.

Hoo-doo

Banned
From the other thread, courtesy of Pyromaniac:

It's over, HERE IS THE INFORMATIONZ:

- Smash bros gameplay confirmed
- HOLIDAY RELEASE
- 60 FPS confirmed (nerds)
- multiplayer with options
- 3rd party characters are in
- 3 layers of super for each character
- Looks like life bars instead of numbers
- Hades stage (hades doing things during the fight)
- Buzz stage (get quizzed DURING the fight)
- LBP stage (starts off empty, stage builds as you play)
- Sandover Village stage
- Ratchet and Clank stage with Hydra from GoW
- Patapons doing things to Hades, combining characters for stages
- fat princess
- sly (can turn invisible cuz he stealthy)
- kratos
- Sweet Tooth
- Radec
- Parappa

Looks awesome. Hades fighting fucking Patapon in the back, while you duke it out in the front, i'm totally on board.

prwxv3

So apparently you only get points if you KO with supers. And you build meter with regular attacks and items destroy meter of your enemies. And there are certain moves of certain characters that drop AP orbs that build meter.

zroid

Banned
I took some notes of the Dtoid preview. Lots of info on the gameplay.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-226561.phtml

- The team consists of members with extensive backgrounds in fighting and combat titles

- Either the left analog stick or the d-pad controls movement of your character.

- The right stick will let you perform throws, with different ones assigned to each direction.

- The X button jumps, and the other three face buttons are assigned to different attacks.

- L1 blocks and R1 picks up items.

- R2, executes a super move. While fighting, you'll build up a meter that lets you perform a super move that knocks out characters.

- Also, some attacks knock AP (action points) out of opponents, letting others pick them up to fill up these meters. There are three levels of supers, each one stronger than the last, and each requiring another filling of this meter. If you can manage to land hits and survive long enough, a level three super can knock out all other players, earning you points.

- Victory goes to the player with the highest number of KOs; knocking out a character adds to your score while being knocked out subtracts from it.

- So, there's nothing in the way of health bars here, as health doesn't really matter in the long run.

- Most of the matches I played were frantic free-for-alls that had us hitting each other in any way possible in an effort to get those meters filled up.

- get excited about the control, because it's outstanding. SuperBot really nailed it. It's fast, super-responsive, and never gets in the way of the crazy action. The in-air stuff is not floaty at all; jumps do what you need them to, when you need them to. I never had a problem blocking, platforming or recovering.

Here's a quick rundown of the six debut characters:

Parappa the Rapper: Parappa is small and fast; a short-range melee character. His moves come right out of Chop Chop Master Onion's kung-fu dojo, though you'll have to be right up on your opponents to connect with most of them. One of his most useful moves is also pretty funny: he brings out his Boxy Boy boom box (it arrives with the classic "Aw yeah!" hip-hop sample) to the play field, where it spews AP bubbles that can be picked up to charge super meters. Smart players were using the boom box to level up and use Parappa's skateboard super, which dashes through and knocks out anyone in sight. It's a total dick move, but it works, and wins matches.

Radec: Killzone character Radec isn't as cute as our favorite dog rapper, but he makes up for it with badassness. He's quite the opposite of Parappa, working best as a long-distance attacker, with projectiles and lasers that easily land hits on the opposite side of the play field. His level one super gives the player a reticule that can be placed over any character to direct a large-scale fire attack.

Sweet Tooth: Those wanting to play as a strong bully will want to choose Twisted Metal's scary clown hero. He's huge and all about space control, with attacks that can send you flying. Up close he hits really hard, so stay away if you can. I loved using him to shoulder check enemies to send flying across the screen. His level three special is flashy, bringing fire and parts flying out of the sky to his body to turn him into Mechatooth, armed with a machine gun that will easily mow all opponents down.

Fat Princess: No one picked the big girl in the first rounds, but I found that she was one of my favorites after trying her out. I fell in love after seeing her match opening animation, which has her instantly plumping up after downing a piece of cake. Princess has swinging mid-range attacks that are fast and reliable, and they provide good defense, as a lot of jumping and blind swinging can take place. She's surprisingly agile and has lots of power.

Sly Cooper: Sly is unique in that he has no defense at all. Instead, and true to his character, he can turn invisible by hitting the block button. This makes him quite a bit more sneaky, as he can get behind opponents to use his special moves in close range. His normal attacks glide him from platform to platform, and he can fly/attack diagonally, making him great at recovery.

Kratos: Anyone that has enjoyed any of the God of War games will feel right at home with Kratos, as he plays exactly the same in All-Stars. He's the best all-arounder of the initial line-up, with a mix of both ranged and close quarters moves. His spin attacks take up huge space, and his spear-based pokes will push you back. He's a beast.

KingK

That aura glow around the characters signifies that your Super meter is full. It is not always present.

Saw a few people mentioning how they didn't like the glow, so I thought I'd point that out.

also, hopefully they have a stock mode as well.

edit: Stock confirmed in that GT interview

darkwing

That aura glow around the characters signifies that your Super meter is full. It is not always present.

Saw a few people mentioning how they didn't like the glow, so I thought I'd point that out.

also, hopefully they have a stock mode as well.

better put this in the OP

Octacamo

How many more thread will be there for this game??? one video just came out and already 4 threads created for discussion....

Mxrz

Ah. Hydra stage starts off as a the city from Ratchet and Clank.

Destructoid said:
My favorite stage mixes a Jak and Daxter village with Hot Shots Golf. From nowhere, with no notice, Hot Shots characters begin using the play field as a driving range, with ultra-hot golf balls raining down on you and your opponents like missiles
There any video clips of this yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom