• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oh snap! some guy codes and releases playstation eye drivers for windows

AlexP said:
Well, here it is…
I managed to put together a first version of the DirectShow capture filter for PS3Eye camera.
This will allow many of us to use this great camera in various Windows applications (assuming they are compatible with DirectShow system).

As previously described here, you will need to install the camera driver first.

PS3Eye driver Installation:

- Download and extract the PS3EyeDriver.rar archive.
- Run the Install.bat in the Driver directory (this directory is automatically created by extracting files from PS3EyeDriver.rar archive). You might need to reboot your machine after this step.
- Plug in the PS3Eye camera. Let the Windows detect the hub and two USB Camera-B3.04.06.1 devices. For version B4.04.27.1 let the Windows detect USB Camera-B4.04.27.1 devices.
- Since the PS3Eye is a multifunction device, one of these is the audio and the other one is the camera itself. After a few seconds Windows will automatically detect and install one of the USB Camera-B3.04.06.1/B4.04.27.1 devices. This will be the audio device. The one that is left is the camera.
- Windows will prompt you for a driver. Cancel out of that and go to the Device Manager, right click on USB Camera-B3.04.06.1/B4.04.27.1 device and chose Update Driver Software.
- From there select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and select the Driver directory. The PS3Eye Camera driver will be installed.
http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/3137/

hirokazu

Is this just cool like getting the EyeToy camera to work on PCs, or does the PS Eye have some super duper tech in it that you can't find on regular PC cameras?

Speevy

Banned
hirokazu said:
Is this just cool like getting the EyeToy camera to work on PCs, or does the PS Eye have some super duper tech in it that you can't find on regular PC cameras?

Well, it has motion-tracking for games, which is the same as the Eyetoy I suppose. It also takes cell phone quality pictures.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
or buy a PSeye, they aren't expensive. with decent lighting you could get some good quality captures.

hirokazu said:
it's a bit more involved, the eyetoy camera just needed hacked logitech drivers from a camera with the same chipset on PC, while this one was done from scratch

FirewalkR

The Faceless Master said:
it's a bit more involved, the eyetoy camera just needed hacked logitech drivers from a camera with the same chipset on PC, while this one was done from scratch

Meaning, the guy is good.

I think there was a thread about this a few days ago, but wth let's roll with it again. I still have to try it. Please report on success of use as a webcam.

FirewalkR said:

I think there was a thread about this a few days ago, but wth let's roll with it again. I still have to try it. Please report on success of use as a webcam.
well, if there was a thread a few days ago, it would have been about the test version, that was just a proof of concept that worked in an app he coded.

the directshow drivers were released yesterday.

Slavik81 said:
Oh. Interesting.
I had thought it already worked.
no, but someone else has it working on Mac OSX

Kazenone

FirewalkR said:

Installed and working great on Vista.

Edit, let me clarify - the drivers installed fine and I've tried it some software. Amcap and Yawcam worked fine, haven't tried it with anything else yet though (Ustream, Live Messenger).

FirewalkR

The Faceless Master said:
well, if there was a thread a few days ago, it would have been about the test version, that was just a proof of concept that worked in an app he coded.

the directshow drivers were released yesterday.

Yep must have been that, I remembered his talk about how it went straight to the metal, no directshow, so this is new.

I've been wanting to get a webcam for my computer for a while... So if this works well as a webcam I might as well get the PS3 Eye.

Thinking about picking up a PSEye and wondering how well it works out as a webcam. Anyone got it working with PC capturing apps or IM clients?

I've used these for about a week now, works great with Skype though I've had intermittant issues with the audio on the camera. Still, they're nice!

Ranger X

Yeah I tried Alex drivers some months ago but his drivers weren't working with most application. It does work with Skype but not Windows Live Messenger.

Also, his recording tool he's giving it with didn't work for me for some reason.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Bumpage

I can't seem to get the camera to work with any application; some pick up audio, but none do with video (MSN messanger, Skype, Ustream, Justin.tv). The thing is, the test app works perfectly.

Top Bottom