• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

From famousmortimer himself

Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Cut some stuff, more at the link.

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.” (Pete note: shoutout to thuway!)

I asked if could be fixed soon. He said that anything is possible and Microsoft is obviously working on it but he thinks it will be months, not weeks. Getting online launch games certified is taking so long that it’s pushing games after launch back.

volcano-erupting-from-space-GIF.gif

kasane

People proclaiming Xbox live as the holy grail of online services are in for a rude awakening if this is true.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”

Oh boy.

Einbroch

Banned
Yawn. Stayed up for nothing. No specifics, just a bunch of kinda-sorta-maybes.

Tell me that friendslists won't work at launch. Tell me something concrete.

Meh.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Since it's a little out there now, it's pretty bad situation.

There are other things but this covers a good chunk of some of the BS happening behind the scenes.

Man

We just need the boat to seal the deal

“The system OS and network integration was written by a group of people who do not play games. They don’t understand why things were set up in the ways they were designed by J Allard back in ’05.”

God damn.

x-Lundz-x

Wow the party system being fucked sounds amazingly bad. How could ms fuck that up when they had it working so well on 360.

And months to fix? They should just delay the console.

Didnt cboat mention these problems months ago.

I can only imagine how rushed the xbox OS guys are. The DRM back track must have set them back months on something that was allegedly already behind schedule

Heysoos

“The system OS and network integration was written by a group of people who do not play games. They don’t understand why things were set up in the ways they were designed by J Allard back in ’05.”

Allard's vision destroyed.

Seems like everything is a complete mess on Microsoft's side.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This should be an interesting launch. I need to know how broken the system is. No surprise it was borked though.

heckfu

Banned
This kind of info has been out forever. I think this is a non-issue coming from side developers who aren't involved with the 'fix' even if it's needed.

This guy hyped up this article and it wasn't much of anything IMO.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Didnt cboat mention these problems months ago.

I can only imagine how rushed the xbox OS guys are. The DRM back track must have set them back months on something that was allegedly already behind schedule
That's when they had months to fix it.

The problems persist.

Skyzard

Banned
That sounds worrying if true but I don't see what is so obvious about the DRM that would have to do with the problems...It was just a timer/connectivity check and is this game used?

“Yeah, getting anything online to work was a pain for months, barely worked at the very end of last month. Adding friends, sending game invites or even achievements’ toasts could be a nightmare. I don’t know that much outside of “my” project, but from what I saw in others, online was always a problem. No idea if this will still be an issue at launch though, I think it would be too much, but it looks like it won’t be flawless at all.”

daaaamn.

Valentus

MS trying to hide this things is shameful and so unethical

Fuck i almost feel that they tries to sell us a beta testing pass for $500

Zukuu

Banned
Not that much of a deal imo. Will be fixed in future patches. PS4 starts without all stuff working as well. As long as basic functionality runs fine (e.g. playing games) it could pass without much trouble for MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom