• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
So McGinn may not even be the biggest upside to the SJ trade. Apparently one of the prospects we got during that deal, Sgarbossa - is an OHL monster. Won the OHL scoring title this year too. Wonder if he'll be able to integrate well at an NHL level.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2012-eastern-conference-coaches-poll/118751

From what I've read about him he has tons of talent at the OHL level but there are doubts he'll be able to be as good in the NHL.

Still a stud prospect though. DW is an idiot for that trade.

Solo

tumblr_m0rhwwLCOK1qa2axqo1_500.gif

From what I've read about him he has tons of talent at the OHL level but there are doubts he'll be able to be as good in the NHL.

He'll probably be at training camp next season so hopefully we'll get a good look. Not that we need another center for fuck sake. Hopefully if he's good enough to stay up he can also play wing.

Edit: Solo lives!

dem

Sgarbossa is not an nhl player

Lead the OHL in scoring in your draft year and you might be something.

Alucard

Banned
Hoping for a double hat-trick from Pominville and Vanek tonight. I support making the East stronger by giving the Habs a top 5 pick.

Socreges

Banned
We're back! Finally i don't have to listen to the prof anymore....

In hockey-related news: Cancks just signed a 22 y-old goalie, LET THE SCHNEIDER TRADE TALKS BEGIN (/continue)
Well, he's our draft pick and apparently been looking very good this season. Connata would get signed regardless of Schneider. Nice to have some depth at the goalie position.

Canucks fans,

Who would you rather be traded, Luongo or Schneider? Keep in mind:

Trading Luongo wouldn't bring in much besides another bloated contract.
Trading Schneider would bring in a much better return.

Yeah I realize Luongo is slumping right now so it's maybe not the best time to bring this up, but still. Curious where people side.

Socreges

Banned
Some rather boring games tonight. Gives me time to catch up on Justified.
Good matchups (det/nyr, van/chi) without much in the way of playoff implications, I guess.

Chicago's been playing really well lately and the Canucks have not looked good. Hopefully they see this as a milestone game.

Good matchups (det/nyr, van/chi) without much in the way of playoff implications, I guess.

Chicago's been playing really well lately and the Canucks have not looked good. Hopefully they see this as a milestone game.

I'm addicted to the dog fights. Just call me Michael Vick.

Edit: Also I'm pulling for the Canucks for once. We're inching our way towards Chicago. Be a bro and help us out for once this season.

Looking forward to the Canucks coming out and shitting the bed again.

Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not watching anymore games until this team starts giving a shit.

RC

Banned

Hopefully a match againest a rival will wake this team up. Something has to.

Well, he's our draft pick and apparently been looking very good this season. Connata would get signed regardless of Schneider. Nice to have some depth at the goalie position.

Canucks fans,

Who would you rather be traded, Luongo or Schneider? Keep in mind:

Trading Luongo wouldn't bring in much besides another bloated contract.
Trading Schneider would bring in a much better return.

Yeah I realize Luongo is slumping right now so it's maybe not the best time to bring this up, but still. Curious where people side.
I love Schneider, I think he's a fantastic goalie and he can only grow better. He's calm cool and collected, he has dizzying intellect on and off the ice, and he puts his best out on a very consistent basis.

But I would still trade him over Luongo. Why? Because of Eddie Lack. I think Eddie Lack is the real deal and was one of the best offseason moves last year. Eddie has been killing it once again in the AHL and the fact that he went undrafted is still absolutely baffling to me. The fact that we managed to pick up a goaltender prospect this good for free is straight up robbery. It also helps that because of his age and stage in development, by the time Lack is ready to take on a full-time starter job, Luongo will have declined enough that the job will be open in Vancouver.

The Canucks at this point, is the deepest team in terms of top-end goaltender depth. Not Toronto's shitty threesome of Gustvasson, Reimer and Scrivens deep, but legitimately deep.

Our #1 is an elite NHL goaltender
Our #2 is arguably the best NHL backup
Our #3 is one of the top three NHL goaltending prospects

What we need is for a Schneider trade to bulk up the areas where we're not as deep, which is top end forwards and defense prospects.

Socreges

Banned
Devil's advocate: Eddie Lack has never played a game in the NHL. He could be the next Jonas Gustavsson. How does that sound?

Terrifying. It sounds absolutely terrifying.

seriously though, I'm loving This Av's push. I hope they make it in since they're so much fun to watch.

I need me more Landeskog

Landy has had the effect Duchene had on me during his previous years - fuckin' hope. Only much more of it. I hope Duchene figures things out next year, we could have a dangerous team with O'Reilly Landy and Duchene on their best games respectively. Varlamov has grown into his own over the last 10-12 games and if that keeps up we may get a playoff spot.

Devil's advocate: Eddie Lack has never played a game in the NHL. He could be the next Jonas Gustavsson. How does that sound?

And as far as goalie prospects go it's actually pretty likely. Most goalies seem to come out of nowhere. I can't think of the last "big name" prospect that was developed like a traditional positional player and panned out. Especially as a legitimate long term #1.

It's possible, goaltending prospects are the most volatile. They could go south at any moment. Hell, Schneider could pull a 180 and shit up the net for the rest of his career, it's never guaranteed.

That said, Gustvasson's a headcase, Lack has shown absolutely no indications of that. If anything, he's very mentally calm. Hell, Luongo's more of a fucking headcase than Lack.

I kind of wish the Canucks had injuries like the Wings. Then there'd be a legitimate excuse for sucking. Getting tired of hearing that they're healthy and don't care because they're basically guaranteed second in the conference. At least it allows AV to shuffle lines and pairings to find something that works in case it's needed during the playoffs.

And Schneider will get traded. If Rick Nash couldn't get moved then Luongo won't. I think the days of huge blockbuster trades are all but done. There's just too much risk involved with the cap and all. Eddie Lack should be a serviceable backup but I wouldn't be surprised if Luongo plays 70 games next year.

On the topic of shitty Leafs goaltending...

Penis speaks the truth dude. Goaltending depth in this organization is scary at the moment. Combine that with the teachings of Allaire and we have a fuckin breeding ground for success. Too bad we can't keep all of them, we'll be developing goalies for other teams kinda like the Dominican developed shortstops.

When you have three #1s you just simply roll the fucking dice.

Neo - coach, Wilson played rope a dope with Columbus. Made it look like Gustavsson would start all day and then throws Scrivens in there. They thought they'd get to face a tired goalie, but well the goaltending machine in Leafland pops out another stud.

/depth

Socreges

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
If Rick Nash couldn't get moved then Luongo won't. I think the days of huge blockbuster trades are all but done. There's just too much risk involved with the cap and all.
Nash wasn't moved because the asking price was impossibly steep. There have been blockbuster trades in the past year, so I don't know what you mean. And there's no "risk" necessarily if you're trading one big contract for another.

That said, I'm 90% sure that Gillis will be trading Schneider anyhow.

Luongo to Toronto e76
They'd need to send another ridiculous, bloated contract our way, though.

So, Grabovski.

Preds management should host a clinic on how to swallow your pride. I know they're desperate for their first cup but the amount of shit they're swallowing to pursue it.. hell, maybe that makes them deserve it.

I lol'd. But at the same time it's regretful that Manics and his stupid ass /depth comments have become so popular with non-Leaf fans in this thread as a tool to trash the Leafs. =(

Don't take it to heart, it's as much as a 'laughing with' as it is a 'laughing at'. It adds entertainment and makes people enjoy being here.

You're making people happy.

CCF23

And as far as goalie prospects go it's actually pretty likely. Most goalies seem to come out of nowhere. I can't think of the last "big name" prospect that was developed like a traditional positional player and panned out. Especially as a legitimate long term #1.

Schneider and Rask are headed for this route. Cam Ward, Fleury, Price, Lehtonen (doesn't get the credit he deserves because of injuries).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You're crazy! Jeanneret is one of the most exciting in the league. Admittedly he's a bit of a homer and is getting older, but I still love him.

His voice just annoys me, his homerism isn't that bad comparatively.

Fei

Desharnais seems to have grown so much as a player this year. I remember in our first matchup he reminded me of Derek Roy - a small player who loved to dive. Now he's dangerous on offense and made a great backcheck on Stafford. Good for him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Desharnais has improved a lot since last year in every aspect of the game. One of my favourite players, great story and has had to work every second to get where he is. He just needs to shoot a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom