• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother 2 Resurrection Festival, game coming to Wii U VC in Japan on 3/20

Empty

i love him so much

bring it over and let me explore every nook and cranny of the mother 2 world iwata pls

Tiktaalik

Nintendo should just bloody release the game. If they get sued they should just negotiate a licensing agreement. Nintendo can afford it.

Codeblue

Can you even get on Japanese Miiverses with a Western console?

I know you can set the region and look at it. Not sure about posting.

I don't think Starmen.net are the type of people that would restrict this sort of thing to a single Miiverse community anyway.

backlot

I know you can set the region and look at it. Not sure about posting.

I don't think Starmen.net are the type of people that would restrict this sort of thing to a single Miiverse community anyway.

But we know for sure that people from Nintendo are going to be paying attention to this community. I really hope non-Japanese Wii U's can post on it. If not there's always every community for every VC game NOA ever gives us.

Smithy C

If this comes out on the Europe VC, I will buy a Wii U. Heck, if they just say it's coming out over here, I'll even buy a Wii U before the price gets cut.

Tookay

The main reason Earthbound/Mother 2 wasn't released on the VC was because of copyright issues due to audio samples, right? So if it's being released in Japan, one would assume that this problem has been resolved and that a North American release is imminent?

Not at all.

If it's just released in Japan, though, those infringement issues will probably go more unnoticed than if it's released in America.

terrisus

Well, any Virtual Console version wouldn't come with the box, guide or stickers, so not really an even comparison.

Looking at completed listings, a whole bunch have gone in the $100-140 range (and a couple of lower-priced ones that were of course snapped up as soon as someone listed them), and there's a Buy-it-Now available at $210 right now if one really doesn't want to wait.

Sure, still much more expensive than a virtual console release, but, not nearly as extreme as the $400 and counting in the above auction if one is just interested in playing the game.

Danielsan

Well, any Virtual Console version wouldn't come with the box, guide or stickers, so not really an even comparison.

Looking at completed listings, a whole bunch have gone in the $100-140 range (and a couple of lower-priced ones that were of course snapped up as soon as someone listed them), and there's a Buy-it-Now available at $210 right now if one really doesn't want to wait.

Sure, still much more expensive than a virtual console release, but, not nearly as extreme as the $400 and counting in the above auction if one is just interested in playing the game.
Add ridiculous shipping costs to Europe. Not knowing if the battery is in working order, or if it is going to die soon and the fact that you can't even be sure that it's a legitimate copy or simply a rom dump on a SNES cartridge. Trying to get a legitimate copy of this game is just a giant pain in the ass as well as a huge hit on your bank account. Maybe you are fine spending upwards of €150 for a beat up cartridge only version of an 18 year old game, but as much as I'd love to play it, I sure as hell am not going to spend that kind of money on it.

Drago

Can you even get on Japanese Miiverses with a Western console?
Yes, you can. You can even post messages there too (if I remember correctly)

My only hope is that this releases in NA in the Spring alongside the official VC, so Nintendo won't have to sell it for 30¢. :/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They'll probably just package this with Mother 3 so they can sell it in the US as a 40 dollar cart.
LG0Nmes.gif

Raxus

Honest question.

Why did Nintendo stop bringing the Mother series over?

I only ask because even simple releases like the Virtual Console version of Earthbound were actually edited out of games like Super Smash Bros.

Did someone at NoA's kid die from Mother 2 or something?

terrisus

Add ridiculous shipping costs to Europe. Not knowing if the battery is in working order, or if it is going to die soon and the fact that you can't even be sure that it's a legitimate copy or simply a rom dump on a SNES cartridge. Trying to get a legitimate copy of this game is just a giant pain in the ass as well as a huge hit on your bank account. Maybe you are fine spending upwards of €150 for a beat up cartridge only version of an 18 year old game, but as much as I'd love to play it, I sure as hell am not going to spend that kind of money on it.

Batteries are pretty quick and easy to replace, even without any prior soldering knowledge (and can just be replaced with a battery in a holder to make any future replacements even easier). As far as getting a legitimate copy, paying attention to details and seller feedback and such usually can take care of that issue (at least, I've never gotten stuck with a fake game yet).

While I certainly recognize that many people aren't willing to spend that kind of money on an older game (although I would counter-argue that Earthbound is such a spectacular game that it would be easy enough to pick 3 new games that one was considering buying, passing on them, and getting Earthbound instead, and it would be a better choice), I guess the only point I was trying to make was that, if one is just looking to play the game, that the extra-inflated prices that come with auctions that include the guide, box, or both the guide and box weren't particularly relevant, since with a virtual console release, one is getting neither of those, and also no physical game at all.

Drago

Honest question.

Why did Nintendo stop bringing the Mother series over?

I only ask because even simple releases like the Virtual Console version of Earthbound were actually edited out of games like Super Smash Bros.

Did someone at NoA's kid die from Mother 2 or something?

Earthbound Zero (Mother) came too late in the NES lifecycle and would have been a definite bomb. Localized but went unreleased.
Earthbound (Mother 2) was a bomb and it had a big (awful) marketing campaign, and every copy came with a strategy guide which was probably quite the money sink.
I don't know why Mother 1+2 GBA never got localized, probably due to legal issues.
Mother 3 came out in 2006, after the GBA was basically dead. An english release would have came out even later than that, and it would have been a HUGE bomb and money sink.
Legal issues prevented VC releases worldwide.

It's pretty easy to see why NoA doesn't seem to care much for the series. I sure wish they did though. :(

Amir0x

Banned
this was the thing they were hinting at? Something that'll never come to the USA :/

Ah well, not like it'd matter since Miiverse integration is the big difference here, and I don't give a shit about the circle jerkin' Miiverse.

Teknoman

That would be COMPLETELY worth it and I don't think anyone else would argue that.

I'd buy it.

...I know it's never coming back to North America. One of these days i'm just going to either have to suck it up and find the cheapest copy on Amazon...or search for mislisted ebay auctions lol.

Until then, i'll keep searching whenever i'm out, and hope I run into cheap copy at a pawn/thrift/flea/old book store like that one guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EarthBound-...5001?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2ec5a0cb69

Lets see how fast this gets driven up.

Drago

Does Mother 3 have music copyright issues as well?

Or they just can't be f**ked translating it?
There would be some legal issues with that one too.

Off the top of my head I know that the Batman theme riff is used in a battle theme, among a few other things.

emb

Itoi said:
Well, yeah, maybe that's it. I wanted to make a playground that everyone would value down to the tiniest or most insignificant thing. The goal I probably didn't think of before making it was to be discovered by players throughout the world. Yeah, that's one thing I wanted to do.

T_T

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
this was the thing they were hinting at? Something that'll never come to the USA :/

They said the same thing about Xenoblade, and I have a copy that plays in my US American Wii.

They said the same thing about The Last Story, and that came over.

They said the same thing about Pandora's Tower, and that's coming over in a couple of months.

Never give up. Never surrender your dreams.

terrisus

They said the same thing about Xenoblade, and I have a copy that plays in my US American Wii.

They said the same thing about The Last Story, and that came over.

They said the same thing about Pandora's Tower, and that's coming over in a couple of months.

Never give up. Never surrender your dreams.

They said the same thing about Mother
They said the same thing about Mother 3

Imported both of those, since waiting didn't seem too fruitful. And so far, years having passed by already, that's provided to be the correct decision.
And I'd gladly take either of those over all of those three combined.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They said the same thing about Mother
They said the same thing about Mother 3

Imported both of those, since waiting didn't seem too fruitful. And so far, years having passed by already, that's provided to be the correct decision.
And I'd gladly take either of those over all of those three combined.

Hey, weirder things have happened.

Davey Cakes

Mother 2 Miiverse Siege, people! Set your Miiverse to the Japan region and hammer them with posts showing your love for the game and demanding it!

JavyOO7

I regret not buying Earthbound when I had the chance to when it first came out in America.

And Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

I'm super sad right now...

Drago

The thing that stings the most is that I lost my copy in a move earlier this year, and I don't want to pay $150 for a replacement cart.

I need a virtual console release of this. :'(

And I wouldn't be surprised if Mother 3 was the first game on Japan's GBA VC

Davey Cakes

I regret not buying Earthbound when I had the chance to when it first came out in America.

And Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

I'm super sad right now...
Funny, around 1996 I walked into Funcoland with my brother and we picked up those two games!

Jarate

Banned
Mother is one of the few games series out there that I support the "illegal" downloading of.

I have an earthbound cart, so it doesnt really affect me, but come on, there shouldnt be moral issues regarding Earthbound "piracy." The game is pretty unobtainable to western markets

Question. Was MOTHER (1) ever put up on VC? If not, would MOTHER 2 coming before it indicate that they're working on that one first since it's the only one that's made it to the states?

Drago

Question. Was MOTHER (1) ever put up on VC? If not, would MOTHER 2 coming before it indicate that they're working on that one first since it's the only one that's made it to the states?
Neither Mother 1 or 2 were released on VC anywhere in the world.

And Mother 2 was the only one that made it to the States, not 1, but there is a complete localization that was made by NoA that was never officially released.

Alcibiades

I'm still pissed by brother gave away a brand new copy of Earthbound to a friend of the family because they only had 1 SNES game at the time and he felt bad for him. This was back in the late 90's before it was worth a lot, but even then it was a rare game. My brother gave it because it was the only brand new game I had lying around, if I had had any other game sealed he probably would have given that. My brother was in elementary at the time though so I guess he didn't know any better.

EDIT: I hope it gets released just to drive the Ebay prices down. If Nintendo didn't get used back when they first released I don't think they'll be getting sued now. If they do release it they better not change anything about it like with Star Tropics. Sign a damn contract if you're worried but there is no excuse for changing a game from how it was originally released.

18-Volt

The funny thing is Nintendo will remind us the franchise still exist with adding even more Mother content to Smash Bros. It's not because NoA ignores the series, it's because NCL hates us non-Japanese people.

Top Bottom