• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision published game Dark Reign put on Xbox Indie channel.

wwm0nkey

xboxboxart.jpg

This is pretty odd but it seems like an old Activision published game is now on the XBLIG which seems to be a first for the service.

Never played it but from what I see Dark Reign was an RTS for the PC and it seems they remade it for the Xbox 360 and PC. its on the Marketplace for $5 now.

NavNucST3

Wtf, so random. I own both this and the sequel. Still have the CDs lying around somewhere. It was the first real 3D RTS

Dark Reign was the first RTS game I played, I can't remember if it introduced it or not but I think it did, that had fog of war and waypoints.

Munin

I wish I could learn about the thought process that went into putting this onto Xbox Live. I can only assume drugs were involved.

I mean, Dark Reign was a good game, but..just..what?

Xander51

Whoa man, Dark Reign...ported to the 360??? What a weird thing! I used to love this game. Still have my copy somewhere.

Dead Man

Dark Reign was the first RTS game I played, I can't remember if it introduced it or not but I think it did, that had fog of war and waypoints.

It introduced '3d' fog of war and line of sight for RTS's I think, I know quite a few games had fog of war before it.

Ranger X

How is it an Indy Game if there's a dev and a publisher????

Even industry people don't even know what Indy means anymore? lol

It's quite a fun game but like most RTS i'm not sure the 360 is the place for it. In fact in general i'm very surprised to see this specific game get this treatment. I wonder what the reason for doing this is?

I still have the discs lying around for both games but i haven't played them for a few years now. I certainly had a lot of fun with them back in the day.

Noogy

What an unexpected surprise! I'm all for more publishers bringing PC classics to the channel... good for everyone involved, really. More eyes on XBIG, more games for everyone else.

Though if you had asked me which publisher would do this first, I would have never guessed Activision.

clashfan

Anything sent to the Indie section of Xbox Live is sent to die regardless.

It's "elite" to bag on xlig but at least MS is the only console maker that allows developers to sell their games on the console with out MS controlling the approval process. MS has not handled xlig well but at least created the process. It's more then Sony or Nintendo can say.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, artillery that actually shoots farther than half the visible screen! Loved playing that game. Setting up the AI for your units was a great help. Engagement modes, damage tolerance. Very helpful.

Looks like this (PC site) is probably a matter of these guys licensing the game from or otherwise contracting with Activision as a way to make their tech pay something while they work on it. Might be more "indy" than it seems at first glance, in other words.

Anybody buy it XBL yet? How does it play?

wwm0nkey

MechWarrior 2, Mercs are all I care about. ;_;

With the new 500MB size for indie games people should work on licensing the older games and porting them onto the service. Games that obviously would never in 1000 years make it onto XBLA though.

Gaspode_T

Well it's one option for devs / pubs not wanting to deal with XBLA 'release calendar' that people often complain about. There are stories of games being 100% done and the bits and bytes are just sitting around waiting for a chance to be released. For an old PC port that is difficult to implement achievements with it kind of makes sense, but I have no idea how these guys were able to port it to XNA.

Top Bottom