• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

I assume you don't need to rely on having it on for that section then? I haven't played a GT game in years. I guess maybe they'd be subtitled too?

DBT85

This is causing some controversy in the thread in the Gaming part of the forum. Lots of people just hate the man for some reason.

Lots of reasons apparently, his clothes, his hair, his jewellery, his lifestyle. All seem to upset people far more than any F1 driver I've ever seen.

Lots of reasons apparently, his clothes, his hair, his jewellery, his lifestyle. All seem to upset people far more than any F1 driver I've ever seen.
If only he would stop enjoy his success and behave like a proper Formula 1 driver, living his life in private. Which means not existing outside the sport!

Man, I'm glad I got over this childish shit.

Zaru

True reason they hate him: he's black and successful.

Could be worse. He could be german and successful.

cN9PwBk.jpg

Now imagine if Wehrlein ever got a dominant drive

BigAl1992

Could be worse. He could be german and successful.

cN9PwBk.jpg

Now imagine if Wehrlein ever got a dominant drive

I'd imagine people would react like this;

giphy.gif

Championship battle aside, because I'm a neutral and I personally love to see a championship go all the way to the last race of the season like it was for a while a few years back, I don't really mind Hamilton being in the game. Hell, I follow the guy on Twitter and most of the time he's just chilling and doing his own thing. I don't really get all the hate for him when, as others have pointed out, we've had past and current drivers act way worse than him.

Actually, now that I think of it, wasn't Wehrlein criticised by one team (rumours now) as being difficult to work with?

I used to dislike Lewis, simply for him being too damn good at such a young age and almost always being in one of if not the best cars on the grid. Dude got his first drive in Formula 1 and just kept on winning ever since.

Now though...I'm still a Ferrari fan, so I won't ever root for him to win races (unless he's dressed in red) and part of me also dislikes how he's breaking all kinds of records set by Schumacher, but I can't do anything but respect the guy. He's so damn good. Dude is an absolute competitor and winner through and through and will probably go down as one of the greats because of it.

Can't hate on that man! And regarding all the other stuff on the side, I like how he carries himself. Can't blame the guy for doing him.

True reason they hate him: he's black and successful.

Fuck off with that shit. It's perfectly valid to think he's a bit of a wanker without race coming into it (if it helps, I think Alonso is a wanker too).

I think he's one of the best drivers in history... but that doesn't change how I feel about him as an individual.

A friend and I are headed out to Austin for the race. Is there a site/blog that lists offsite/fan events going on during week before the race?

I used to dislike Lewis, simply for him being too damn good at such a young age and almost always being in one of if not the best cars on the grid. Dude got his first drive in Formula 1 and just kept on winning ever since.

Now though...I'm still a Ferrari fan, so I won't ever root for him to win races (unless he's dressed in red) and part of me also dislikes how he's breaking all kinds of records set by Schumacher, but I can't do anything but respect the guy. He's so damn good. Dude is an absolute competitor and winner through and through and will probably go down as one of the greats because of it.

Can't hate on that man! And regarding all the other stuff on the side, I like how he carries himself. Can't blame the guy for doing him.

giphy.gif

Fuck off with that shit. It's perfectly valid to think he's a bit of a wanker without race coming into it (if it helps, I think Alonso is a wanker too).

I think he's one of the best drivers in history... but that doesn't change how I feel about him as an individual.
I honestly think he's gotten a lot more tolerable since leaving the suffocating atmosphere of McLaren and growing up a bit. If you watch a modern interview and compare it to like 7 years ago, he's like a different person.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think it's quite petty to hate a person for wearing jewelry or for complaining about tire degradation. I can get annoyed by say, Jacques Villeneuve saying something disagreeable again, but I'd reserve hate for truly detestable persons walking this planet. It's not like he beats his wife/girlfriends like Jos Verstappen did.

Par Score

It's pretty obvious a lot of the complaints, like those about his clothes, hair, "bling" and especially anything nebulous about his "lifestyle", are fairly deeply rooted in racism.

He's the first and only black F1 driver, and he's incredibly successful. You honestly think there's not a significant undercurrent of racism going on?

Don't make me post the Spanish blackface or the German monkey suits.

He's the first and only black F1 driver, and he's incredibly successful. You honestly think there's not a significant undercurrent of racism going on?
Well, not the only anymore, Pascal Wehrlein exists and as others have said he also gets labelled as diva-ish and hard to work with. But yeah, you're right.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
IndyCar released their 2018 schedule. Watkins Glen got replaced by Portland International Raceway. They are provisionally returning to Mexico City in either March or August. Would be interesting to compare Indy and F1 lap times if they use the same layout.

Jezbollah

I like Lewis a lot as a driver but if there's two things that I can't stand about him: 1) he seems to be distracted and unfocused at times during the season. Some weekends he just looks disinterested. That was one of the big reasons why he lost to Nico last year. Maybe thats down to his lifestyle away from the track but thats kind of irrelevent. You need to do the job when you need to. and 2) he implies that he came from a rough neighbourhood as a kid - I know Stevenage a lot (my sister and her family live there) - and it's nowhere as bad as he makes it out to be.

Good on him on getting the GT:S part. I'm sure he'll do a fine job.

Chris R

IndyCar released their 2018 schedule. Watkins Glen got replaced by Portland International Raceway. They are provisionally returning to Mexico City in either March or August. Would be interesting to compare Indy and F1 lap times if they use the same layout.

Fuck, I'm going to miss the Glen... why did they drop it?

But it's cool that Portland is being added. I'm going to try to get there for it! Wish they'd drop the 2nd Bell Isle race for COTA maybe, would be a nice back to back for people traveling to Texas.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Fuck, I'm going to miss the Glen... why did they drop it?

But it's cool that Portland is being added. I'm going to try to get there for it! Wish they'd drop the 2nd Bell Isle race for COTA maybe, would be a nice back to back for people traveling to Texas.

The Glen was a last minute replace for a cancelled Boston street race last year. Due to the short notice, attendance wasn't great. This year the attendance was still pretty much the same, so it got axed.

I dont get GT fans complaining about Lewis being in the game. The man is a world class driver, I want his input into that game. I would say the same about any elite driver, regardless of how I felt about them personally.
I dont like Jackie Stewart at all, but if he was in some driving game, I wouldnt object.

DBT85

Annoyingly a bunch of those Lauda interview clips aren't listed in uploads. They only show up if you're watching a video.

Some amazing stuff in there though.

Geeat tidbits about the "its a shitbox" moment too.

DBT85

2) he implies that he came from a rough neighbourhood as a kid - I know Stevenage a lot (my sister and her family live there) - and it's nowhere as bad as he makes it out to be.

Not seen anything suggesting a rough neighbourhood (tho tbh, there are rough and not rough parts of just about every town. Many people like to joke that my home town of Croydon is a shithole but I lived there with no issue for 24 years). I've seen him say him and his family had it rough, but that was more his dad working 2 or 3 jobs to get him racing, being the only black family at any racing event he'd ever been to until recently and not having the piles of cash that most people have with that much talent.

Fox Mulder

I like Lewis a lot as a driver but if there's two things that I can't stand about him: 1) he seems to be distracted and unfocused at times during the season. Some weekends he just looks disinterested. That was one of the big reasons why he lost to Nico last year. Maybe thats down to his lifestyle away from the track but thats kind of irrelevent. You need to do the job when you need to. and 2) he implies that he came from a rough neighbourhood as a kid - I know Stevenage a lot (my sister and her family live there) - and it's nowhere as bad as he makes it out to be.

Good on him on getting the GT:S part. I'm sure he'll do a fine job.

I don't really care enough to hate him. They're all diva assholes to be champions and he's a legend. Social media would have eaten up Schumacher and Senna too.

Chris R

The Glen was a last minute replace for a cancelled Boston street race last year. Due to the short notice, attendance wasn't great. This year the attendance was still pretty much the same, so it got axed.

What a shame :(

Granted, I think NASCAR puts on a better weekend, and the 6 hours race is even better, but it sucks losing a classic track from the schedule.

PIR looks a little basic though, I wonder if the race would be even that good to watch live.

If you were to draw up a list of Formula 1 drivers who deliberately crashed into their rivals in order to try and win the WDC, who would be on it?

Yeah these are basically my feelings on Lewis too. I popped on over to the gaming side for once and went into that thread. Good god the hate Lewis is getting in there lol

Hmmm... I dunno. Do you really think a 3 time world champion, with the most pole positions ever, and second all time in race wins, could possibly be known as 'great' at some point?

I'm not quite sure yet. :p

I've seen him say him and his family had it rough, but that was more his dad working 2 or 3 jobs to get him racing, being the only black family at any racing event he'd ever been to until recently and not having the piles of cash that most people have with that much talent.

He's never been anything but middle class. Daddy's two jobs weren't exactly putting in hours at t' mill.

Sure, in comparison to people like Rosberg, you could consider him poor, but in real terms, he's never come close to knowing what it's like to struggle.

I dont get GT fans complaining about Lewis being in the game. The man is a world class driver, I want his input into that game. I would say the same about any elite driver, regardless of how I felt about them personally.
I dont like Jackie Stewart at all, but if he was in some driving game, I wouldnt object.
Lewis won't have any input, he'll be reading from a very basic script. The Vettel/Loeb/Gordon involvement in GT5 turned out to be a cruel joke. It was so bad it became a meme.

Randdalf

It's been fun this season having all these one-off drivers; Giovinazzi, Button, Di Resta, Gasly, and now whoever drives for TR in Austin.

Dr.Phibes

Well, not the only anymore, Pascal Wehrlein exists and as others have said he also gets labelled as diva-ish and hard to work with. But yeah, you're right.

It's irrating that a lot of (especially British) fans don't think Wehrlein is a poc.
I guess he's simply not black enough.

I also find it hilarious that people still bring up stuff like multi 21 to discredit Vettel but somehow forgot that Lewis accused his team of intentionally fucking up his car not even 12 months ago.

I also find it hilarious that people still bring up stuff like multi 21 to discredit Vettel but somehow forgot that Lewis accused his team of intentionally fucking up his car not even 12 months ago.

How are these two things relatable in any way?

One is a guy refusing to follow team orders or be courteous to his team mate.

The other is a guy struggling to cope with the crippling amount of technical issues that literally cost him a world championship after a random swapping round of mechanic teams, while his rival in the exact same machinery was suffering none of these issues.

Besides, multi21 is barely scratching the surface when it comes to things you could say about Seb.

Jezbollah

Not seen anything suggesting a rough neighbourhood (tho tbh, there are rough and not rough parts of just about every town. Many people like to joke that my home town of Croydon is a shithole but I lived there with no issue for 24 years). I've seen him say him and his family had it rough, but that was more his dad working 2 or 3 jobs to get him racing, being the only black family at any racing event he'd ever been to until recently and not having the piles of cash that most people have with that much talent.

I do remember a quote from Lewis saying he was from a rough neighbourhood - that's what initially raised my eyebrow - Stevenage is generally an OK town who obviously are very proud of what he has achieved. You're spot on though - every town has it's good and bad parts - I just feel that I know that town enough to know that it's generally very liveable and a nice place - especially given how new of a town it is.

I don't really care enough to hate him. They're all diva assholes to be champions and he's a legend. Social media would have eaten up Schumacher and Senna too.

Oh yeah this is true. The drama with Senna vs Prost would have been immense on social media. woof.

I have wondered this about Pascal. He's obviously talented, but it seems like there has been no noticeable progression in results in his time in F1. Reminds me of one Mr Palmer..

Zeknurn

I have wondered this about Pascal. He's obviously talented, but it seems like there has been no noticeable progression in results in his time in F1. Reminds me of one Mr Palmer..

The Sauber is basically one tier down compared to everyone else. It's not like he can do anything in it other than race his team mate.

Top Bottom