• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast - A new demonic possession drama from the creator of TWD - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.
That won't be the case for the entire show's run. From Robert Kirkman's "Message to Fans":

This is cool, like how Douglas Adams changed the Hitchhiker's Guide a little bit for every medium it was told in. Same basic story but each version was unique so you weren't just going through the exact same stuff over and over.

KonradLaw

I love how it all seems to be boiling more and more, like it was slowly heading toward explosion. I wonder how many people are possessed in Rome.

And anyone thinkgs the cop or/and his wife will get possessed eventually? Because their storyline seems to be opening those holes in their souls that grandma was talking about.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Well, after watching the fourth episode I sure hope that Outcast is not another show where you think that a filler story (in this case Megan's) will eventually lead to something much bigger, but it doesn't and it's just there to provide a decent amount of family drama.

PS. The producers of the show have a good eye for actors. The grandma in this new ep was suuuper creepy. I'm tempted to check imdb to see how many of the actors will get recurring roles, because I wouldn't mind seeing most of them in future eps.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man this show is good, real good, more people should give it a shot, loving the tense atmosphere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The jump scares on this show almost always get me because they mostly tend to happen during sudden flashbacks which aren't always easy to predict. I think this is both clever and cheap. :p

And anyone thinkgs the cop or/and his wife will get possessed eventually? Because their storyline seems to be opening those holes in their souls that grandma was talking about.

I think the cop will after what he did to the rapist dude. (Do we think he killed him or just beat him to a pulp?) Megan getting possessed would be kind of eye rolling considering the same thing happened to both Kyle's mom and wife.

PS. The producers of the show have a good eye for actors. The grandma in this new ep was suuuper creepy. I'm tempted to check imdb to see how many of the actors will get recurring roles, because I wouldn't mind seeing most of them in future eps.

Agreed. The grandma is good in everything I've seen her in, particularly Big Love, and the rest of the guest stars have been very solid.

I think I'm most impressed by the lead dude though - in the first couple episodes I wasn't quite sure how to feel about him but I like him a lot now that I know what they're going for with the character. He's quite convincing as "troubled and confused yet polite small town guy".

dustyherb

Loved this episode, but damn is it creepy thinking about the demon chilling in that lady for two years, singing in church and shit.

Completely agree acting has been awesome so far. I was really worried at first about who was going to play Kyle and the Reverend but they've been amazing together.

derFeef

Wowm Episode 3 had some really tense two minutes there with the trailer and hotel room scenes. I found Kyle's reaction/outbreak at the prison a bit weird, though. It did not fit hsi character imo... but maybe he will develop further down that direction.

edit:
Goddamn Kyle is the boy from Almost Famous.
I can't...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
edit:
Goddamn Kyle is the boy from Almost Famous.
I can't...

HOLY SHIT

something I didn't understand about this show. happens in ep3 I think... but could possibly be the latest one.

I'll spoiler it because I'm not sure where everyone is at. Concerns the man that wears the hat.

the man in the hat he's some kind of unexplained guy but he says to Kyles mum 'we got him anyway' and during the flashback you get to see the kid get strangled, somewhat to death.

so basically, what's going on there? what happened to him at that moment exactly?

Loved this episode, but damn is it creepy thinking about the demon chilling in that lady for two years, singing in church and shit.

I do like the fact that the reverend appears to be almost entirely ineffectual against anything. haha. Also, that guy that was possessed and knew outcast. I sooo badly wanted to hear more about outcast from him. Why do they all know him! and what's up with his blood? Seems to be either really amazing or really terrible for the demons.

Geist-

I'm glad this was pre-renewed for a 2nd season, because it sounds like it's getting really shit ratings. :-(

KonradLaw

I'm glad this was pre-renewed for a 2nd season, because it sounds like it's getting really shit ratings. :-(

It's Cinemax though. They usually get very shitty ratings. By their standards Outcast isn't a hit, but it's no diseaster either. Plus it seems to be growing slowly.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Episode 5 was awesome. I enjoyed all the storylines (poor Rev) and I'm glad we got some news on the
merge
. I'm wondering how fast they'll lead to that (I didn't read the comics and I don't intend do, because in this case I don't want any spoilers ;)).

Geist-

Episode 5 was awesome. I enjoyed all the storylines (poor Rev) and I'm glad we got some news on the
merge
. I'm wondering how fast they'll lead to that (I didn't read the comics and I don't intend do, because in this case I don't want any spoilers ;)).
You'll be happy to know that there aren't many spoilers to spoil. I read the comics after the premiere and Kirkman hasn't made any big reveals yet so really, I just have more questions. It's one of the reasons I'm so surprised that they went ahead with the show, they'll be heading into unknown territory once they get to Season 2.

Those demons are pretty sneaky. I mean, you don't usually read about stories where the demons play along with exorcism.
Oh, I love it. This show is like a Shakespearean tragedy. The Reverend's life is a lie, the protagonist is suffering immensely because of a force he can't tell anyone about, the only way to stop them is to "beat the demon" out of them (made worse by him having to beat children and women), and if he told the person he cares about the most, someone who may even believe him, she would hate herself.

This is seriously one of the best new shows of 2016 and deserves so much more attention.

BeeDog

This show sounds awesome. Does anyone know if there's a streaming service in Sweden that shows this? HBO Nordic doesn't seem to :(

dustyherb

You'll be happy to know that there aren't many spoilers to spoil. I read the comics after the premiere and Kirkman hasn't made any big reveals yet so really, I just have more questions. It's one of the reasons I'm so surprised that they went ahead with the show, they'll be heading into unknown territory once they get to Season 2.

Oh, I love it. This show is like a Shakespearean tragedy. The Reverend's life is a lie, the protagonist is suffering immensely because of a force he can't tell anyone about, the only way to stop them is to "beat the demon" out of them (made worse by him having to beat children and women), and if he told the person he cares about the most, someone who may even believe him, she would hate herself.

This is seriously one of the best new shows of 2016 and deserves so much more attention.
Ya it's seriously weird to think that by season 2 the show will be to the point the comics is at right now. And still like you said hardly anythings been revealed yet.

I feel so damn bad for the reverend. All his work and these exorcisms he's done and pretty much nothing to show for it. I wonder if any of the exorcisms he's done have actually worked, kinda doubt it. Hopefully this show starts getting more attention as it goes on longer, cause I agree it's just so damn good.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Ya it's seriously weird to think that by season 2 the show will be to the point the comics is at right now. And still like you said hardly anythings been revealed yet.

I feel so damn bad for the reverend. All his work and these exorcisms he's done and pretty much nothing to show for it. I wonder if any of the exorcisms he's done have actually worked, kinda doubt it. Hopefully this show starts getting more attention as it goes on longer, cause I agree it's just so damn good.

Sure seems like none of them have worked. I'm glad they're taking the time to flesh out every major character as well.

Pachimari

I might start this up tonight, if it is still a very good show five episodes in. Have been interested in it for a long time, and the opening 10 minutes of the premiere hooked me.

I might start this up tonight, if it is still a very good show five episodes in. Have been interested in it for a long time, and the opening 10 minutes of the premiere hooked me.

I've really enjoyed it so far. It can be a bit of a slow burn at times, but its overall plot is engaging enough to watch and its take on exorcisms is pretty visceral. An interesting take on good vs evil. Without spoiling it, the demons have quite the personalities as their appearance can be deceiving.

derFeef

I love slow paced shows if the pace is used to develop cahracters and plot.
It could be a bit more engaging but the feeling of building up to something big is omnipresent and that excites me.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm definitely enjoying the Reverend's scenes the most. His life is getting more miserable with every passing minute.

Not sure what to think of the ending of episode 6...
so Sidney was cautious about not revealing who he is and suddenly he does?

Geist-

I'm definitely enjoying the Reverend's scenes the most. His life is getting more miserable with every passing minute.

Not sure what to think of the ending of episode 6...
so Sidney was cautious about not revealing who he is and suddenly he does?

I don't know, I got the feeling that maybe
he was bullshitting the reverend and trying to make him think he's the devil. Basically trying to use Satan's reputation to stop him from continuing the exorcisms. Maybe, even though the story is about possessions, it isn't necessarily about demons.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just started watching this show, 5 minutes into first episode. what the actual fuck with that kid. oh god that was graphic.

edit; just finished it. That shit is messed up man. This show is great. I dont think i ever recall scenes involving children shot quite like this for tv.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ah, so the cop didn't kill the creeper guy after all. That's good. I wonder what he wants with Megan though?

Also, boo @ them killing the old woman. She was great. :(

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
This show is just depressing as all hell. At least she didn't off herself.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I thought the camera was going to zoom out to show that Kyle's wife had hanged herself :x

Glad that wasn't the case.

We were all thinking of the same thing. :D I'm glad they left room for her coming back (maybe in the second season and in a demonic form again).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
SDCC 2016: Cinemax's OUTCAST Panel Recap

Has any of the cast any supernatural experiences of their own? No, according to the panel. Fugit said he's living in a house that he didn't know had a full attic until very recently, and that he was spooked when a vaccuum set fell down the stairs while he was exploring the attic. "How did that happen? I don't know. But I'm moving out."

Another fan asked if this series might wind up in the same realm of Game of Thrones, where the show outpaces the comics. "I wish," Kirkman said, but that it would be similar in the sense that the TV series and comic will veer apart and come back together when neceesary. Black said that he and Kirkman discuss what storylines are coming up in the comics in advance.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great episode with a ton of answers.

Also, anyone else think that maybe the demons might be aliens instead? The black goo + the symbiotic relationship they seem to form with their hosts reminds me a bit of the black symbiote in Spider Man. There's also the fact that the pastor's religious exorcism methods don't work at all, which they theoretically would if they were really demons, but not so if they were aliens. Also, Kyle has one of those "I Want To Believe" UFO posters hanging in his room. :p

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The new episode did in fact answer some important questions and it was also nice to see how persuasive Sidney can be. At the end of the day there's no good news for a newly possessed person... you either get taken over easily and you're a prisoner in your own body (I reckon the urge to imprison and kill the boy would've been too high for "old" Sidney if he had some control left) or you become insane and aggressive. Anyway the final two episodes of the season should be interesting. :)

RS4-

Show is fucked up and its wonderful. Watched 1-7 over the past week or so, just wrapped up the most recent one.

I think I only read a few issues of the comics.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That was real good. Damn. Really liking the angle they took on demon possession here and I don't think I'll be able to look at Spiner the same way again.

dustyherb

Amazing episode and loved seeing how fucked up Sidney was before he became possessed. Also damn do I feel bad for the Anderson, every episode things just get worse for him. I hope something positive happens with his storyline by the end of the season.

Great episode with a ton of answers.

Also, anyone else think that maybe the demons might be aliens instead? The black goo + the symbiotic relationship they seem to form with their hosts reminds me a bit of the black symbiote in Spider Man. There's also the fact that the pastor's religious exorcism methods don't work at all, which they theoretically would if they were really demons, but not so if they were aliens. Also, Kyle has one of those "I Want To Believe" UFO posters hanging in his room. :p
The thought has definitely crossed my mind, I also thought maybe they could be like angels or something as well. I really feel they aren't demons but I guess time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom