• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the history of American bread and why is it so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been living here for 16 years and I'm still boggled at how bread could've possibly devolved after the Europeans migrated here. European bread is generally pretty good.

Since there's no way for me to make a thread about anything without getting flamed in some way, here's a bonus for those that missed out on the Conan / bread expert segment from a long time ago:

http://www.noob.us/humor/conan-obrien-and-the-bread-professor/

Future-discussed non-political gripes with the US will include American cheese, starting the calendar on Sunday, and the MM-DD-YY format.

Indigo

It mostly has to do with differences in the wheat and climate. Also, most commercially produced American breads are enriched with various things to improve nutritional value and prolong shelf-life.

If you want good bread, you usually have to track down a small, independent bakery. Sadly, these can be hard to find depending on your location.

bjork

You never had that god bread that they make at local grocery store bakeries? That stuff is tasty.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah, I was going to post that too, usually your local Grocery store should have a bakery or something. Freshly baked bread should be part of the selection.

Pre Packaged bread is obviously not going to taste as good as freshly baked bread unless this is an argument against American Pre Packaged bread in favor of European Pre Packaged bread.

Battersea Power Station said:
I've been living here for 16 years and I'm still boggled at how bread could've possibly devolved after the Europeans migrated here. European bread is generally pretty good.

Since there's no way for me to make a thread about anything without getting flamed in some way, here's a bonus for those that missed out on the Conan / bread expert segment from a long time ago:

http://www.noob.us/humor/conan-obrien-and-the-bread-professor/

Future-discussed non-political gripes with the US will include American cheese, starting the calendar on Sunday, and the MM-DD-YY format.

Because we produce it cheap and add stuff to make it last longer. I don't mind you bitching about American Cheese, even though I kinda like it (I grew up with it).

However, your problems with our calender makes you a damned communist. Next you are going to tell me a pint of beer isn't the perfect serving of beer, and that miles aren't superior to kilometers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually saw a special about the history of american bread on either the History Channel or National Geographic. They went through the history of a lot of different "american foods" like american cheese and bread.

Chichikov

Artisan bread aside, the question still remains -
How come the simple plain supermarket bread in North America (yeah Canada, your bread is shit as well) tastes so bad?
It's easily the worst of its kind I've ever had.

p.s.
American Cheese is an abomination.

bjork

The only bad bread I've ever had is rye, because it's like eating compost. Oh, and any time the bun on an am/pm hotdog is wet, that's pretty bad too.

Hah i read it as beard's. I read the the first three posts thinking you guys where talking about beards, lets just say i was quite confused.

Tobor

bjork said:
The only bad bread I've ever had is rye, because it's like eating compost. Oh, and any time the bun on an am/pm hotdog is wet, that's pretty bad too.

Must...control...seething...anger.
I'm not actually angry

You don't deserve the awesomeness that is a good Jewish Rye with hot Corned Beef.

bjork

Tobor said:
Must...control...seething...anger.
I'm not actually angry

You don't deserve the awesomeness that is a good Jewish Rye with hot Corned Beef.

More for you, sir. I've never been able to eat rye without it just tearing me up on the inside. But put that on some cheapass $3 Stater Bros (local grocery) bread, and I'm all happy.

bjork

Diablos said:
White bread sucks and I avoid it whenever possible.

^ left-winger apologist white guilt? :lol

only kidding, let the James Iha rap unite us as one, sir

Diablos

Huh? No, white bread sucks.

Here, do this. Eat nothing but whole wheat or multigrain bread, of any type, for a month.

Then, eat a piece of white bread. You'll be like "man, this is shitty."

bjork

Diablos said:

Here, do this. Eat nothing but whole wheat or multigrain bread, of any type, for a month.

I like them both about equal, and I'm not too picky as far as brands. I don't like the bread that's got 900 tons of seeds on the crust, though.

Tobor

Onix said:
You think the bread's bad ... what about the cheese? :x

We have excellent bread and cheese. Just not in the crap section of the supermarket.

But thanks for generalizing.

Jacobi

Banned
Diablos said:

Might be true, but only if you don't live in France

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

I look forward to the MM-DD-YY format gripe. Clearly DD-MM-YY is better, but YYYY-MM-DD knocks them both into a cocked hat.

takotchi

The best kind of bread is potato bread (made with white flour). Any kind of whole wheat bread makes me gag, but I do like pumpernickel. Plus, it's just fun to say... it sounds like there should be a saucy joke in there somewhere, but I can't think of it.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
iapetus said:
I look forward to the MM-DD-YY format gripe. Clearly DD-MM-YY is better, but YYYY-MM-DD knocks them both into a cocked hat.

I never know which format to give with when I sign stuff, so it differs which I bet can be confusing for people :(

Grizzlyjin said:
I actually saw a special about the history of american bread on either the History Channel or National Geographic. They went through the history of a lot of different "american foods" like american cheese and bread.
I'll search for this using my DVR; thanks for the heads up.

I guess I'm more interested in any cultural reasons for the difference.

In much of eastern Europe, when someone goes out to pick up bread, they usually come back with

bread.jpg
ItsInMyVeins said:
I never know which format to give with when I sign stuff, so it differs which I bet can be confusing for people :(
I'm also unsure many times, but I'm lucky enough to have a DD > 12.

thefro

Chichikov said:
Artisan bread aside, the question still remains -
How come the simple plain supermarket bread in North America (yeah Canada, your bread is shit as well) tastes so bad?
It's easily the worst of its kind I've ever had.

Because it's made to stay fresh as long as possible and survive shipping. Taste is an afterthought.

You can get actual fresh baked bread in nearly every supermarket in the country these days.

Tobor

In much of eastern Europe, when someone goes out to pick up bread, they usually come back with

bread.jpg

That looks like the exact same kind of bread I get here in America as well.

Pro tip: Step away from the mass produced bread aisle and walk over to the bakery section.

Has anyone noticed that focaccia isn't cool anymore and that it's all about the ciabatta?

And Vermont cheddar is godly, you fools.

Just so you know, most Kraft cheese is processed cheese-food, not technically cheese.

Kaeru

Banned
I know I know *raises hand*

It's because Americans have a pretty shitty culture in general, food, arts, architecture, clothing, etc(and weather or not they have any sorts of culture is debatable)
But I still love Americans as far as people goes.

Seth C

If we are talking about white sandwich bread, then it isn't just an American thing. I saw it in every supermarket I went to in Italy. Even in America though, I refuse to eat the stuff as an adult. First off, bleached wheat flour? Why on earth would you ever want to eat that? I always buy some good artisan bread with unbleached flour. Something with garlic gloves if I can, as that stuff is delicious.

Also, while they will tell you not to refridgerate bread, you certainly can. It will cause even fresh bread to resist molding for ages, and if you plan to toast your sandwiches you won't notice a difference in the quality of the bread due to the refridgeration.

Tobor

Kaeru said:

It's because Americans have a pretty shitty culture in general, food, arts, architecture, clothing, etc(and weather or not they have any sorts of culture is debatable)

facepalm.gif

Kaeru said:

Yeah, well whatever nationality you are, I think you're a douche bag.

deadbeef

sublime085 said:
Has anyone noticed that focaccia isn't cool anymore and that it's all about the ciabatta?

And Vermont cheddar is godly, you fools.

Just so you know, most Kraft cheese is processed cheese-food, not technically cheese.

Atlanta Bread Company makes some Basil Pesto Focaccia bread that is amazing. I could eat an entire loaf in one sitting.

And to the OP, stop buying your bread at the Piggly Wiggly or wherever it is that you shop. Just because we have lots of one-stop-shopping, such as Wal Mart, doesn't mean you want to do all your shopping there, especially if you are concerned with the quality of your food. If you want good bread, go to a bakery.

Tobor said:
That looks like the exact same kind of bread I get here in America as well.

Pro tip: Step away from the mass produced bread aisle and walk over to the bakery section.
I don't know, man. I try, but it always lacks the fleshiness that I yearn for.

I agree with most people that good bread can be found; I'm just wondering why it's not in the mainstream.
Flesh Into Gear said:
I'm surrounded by communists clearly
I haven't even made my thread asking why American bathrooms are so far behind European ones.

Tobor

I don't know, man. I try, but it always lacks the fleshiness that I yearn for.

I agree with most people that good bread can be found; I'm just wondering why it's not in the mainstream.I haven't even made my thread asking why American bathrooms are so far behind European ones.

Wikipedia said:
The development of white bread was a response to the adaptation of the grocery business to modern commerce. Bleaching gives white flour a far longer shelf life than whole wheat flour, and bread made from it has a longer shelf life. This allows it to survive storage and long transit times.

This is a huge country, and improving shelf life and transit time has shaped almost every product we eat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_bread

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

bread.jpg

everytime i get bread, i get something like that. go to a local bakery.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
fresh bread still hot from a bakery tastes amazing.

american cheese tastes so dumb. american cheese tastes unintelligent. Cheddar is always better, even on burgers.

Kaeru said:

Ok i passed it the first time by, but this shit is too retarded to not throw in some :lol :lol :lol 's

Kaeru

Banned
sublime085 said:
Yeah, well whatever nationality you are, I think you're a douche bag.

It's ok you don't have to take it personal. I come from Sweden, the culture here is maybe nothing to brag about either.
I wrote it before(you decided not to bold that part) that I love americans as people and I have never met an american that I didn't like.
But I think your culture sucks, thats all.
It's not healthy, it promotes violence, greed, consuming on the expenses of others, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom