• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntPork

Banned
Well there was that ever so kind (i'm really bitter towards them it seems) analyst who claimed that Activision wasn't on-board supporting the Wii U.
And some people still believe that, and it can still be the case, we shall see.

That analyst had no inside sources. He just read about Kojima saying no to Project Ogre on Wii U and decided from there, "Konami only plans limited support!", and then looked at the list of announced Activision games, didn't see Wii U anywhere, and said, "Activision isn't supporting Wii U at all!" Analysts are idiots.

test_account

XP-39C²
I bet you cave and go online pretty quick :p
Haha, it is kinda hard to resist going online, yeah :) But i've been "lucky" with both Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3. I ordered both games online at their launches, and both time i got the games 3-4 days before the official launch due to fast mail service. When i got the games, the online part wasnt activated yet, so my only choice was to play offline/single player.

When i get Black Ops 2, i will start with the single player. But i'm not sure that i will be able to stay away from the online before i've finished the single player hehe.

Bumhead

Banned
Let's be serious for a second. Does anyone here actually buy CoD games for single player? I don't think I have ever beaten the single player campaign. I've always dived into multiplayer and spent 100% of my time with CoD playing multiplayer.

I'm probably a split. I don't buy COD for the single player but I dont buy it for the multiplayer either. It's a pretty well rounded package, for me. Throw in zombie modes and a few of the other extra's and I think the COD games are reasonably good value. I think the single player modes are good for 2 or 3 play throughs in a throwaway, blockbuster movie sort of way.

Not the biggest COD fan in the world but I'll be pleased if it comes to Wii U, whether I buy it or not.

test_account

XP-39C²
Do we know if it will be possible to install retail games since it will be possible to download it?
If it is possible, then it will be like it is on Xbox 360 and older PC game (and maybe some newer PC games as well). You can install the full game, but you need the disc inserted when booting the game.

Zarovitch

They most likely won't allow it. I believe it's due to the fact that people will just install and return the game after they install a copy on their HDD or SD card. Then again, they can just do what MS is doing and make it so that you must have the disc in the tray, but that defeats the purpose of installing a game if you're too lazy to change discs.

Yeah i mean like MS, sometime i install them because my dvd player make too much noise and some games load better.

Linkhero1

Haha, it is kinda hard to resist going online, yeah :) But i've been "lucky" with both Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3. I ordered both games online at their launches, and both time i got the games 3-4 days before the official launch due to fast mail service. When i got the games, the online part wasnt activated yet, so my only choice was to play offline/single player.

When i get Black Ops 2, i will start with the single player. But i'm not sure that i will be able to stay away from the online before i've finished the single player hehe.

No man (or woman) can resist jumping to online mode when they have a chance to. Haha

Do you plan on getting Black Ops 2 for Wii U for for another console/PC?

I'm probably a split. I don't buy COD for the single player but I dont buy it for the multiplayer either. It's a pretty well rounded package, for me. Throw in zombie modes and a few of the other extra's and I think the COD games are reasonably good value. I think the single player modes are good for 2 or 3 play throughs in a throwaway, blockbuster movie sort of way.

Not the biggest COD fan in the world but I'll be pleased if it comes to Wii U, whether I buy it or not.
Yeah I should have rephrased what I was said. I meant to say that most people don't buy CoD for it's single player campaign.

Yeah i mean like MS, sometime i install them because my dvd player make too much noise and some games load better.

If they do it like MS and it does allow faster load times then I wouldn't mind too much.

They most likely won't allow it. I believe it's due to the fact that people will just install and return the game after they install a copy on their HDD or SD card. Then again, they can just do what MS is doing and make it so that you must have the disc in the tray, but that defeats the purpose of installing a game if you're too lazy to change discs.

They can just have it dial up and check to see if you have the game registered as a purchase. This seems pretty simple (albeit annoying to some degree potentially for some* users).

* this includes me, but I'm willing to bite the bullet this time, as long as the dialup isn't required if you use the physical disc

GPW comes-up with the best touchscreen-related videos! Almost like he has a bookmark folder of these things stashed for when they're useful. Very educational, no doubt.. his haptics links goodness are still my favorites. :)

For a moment that looked like "touching-related videos".

The whole "bookmark folder" deal made it even more real. (and don't get me started on "haptics")

Then I went back and paid close attention to what you said.

Thank god I got it all wrong the first time.

Linkhero1

They can just have it dial up and check to see if you have the game registered as a purchase. This seems pretty simple (albeit annoying to some degree potentially for some* users).

* this includes me, but I'm willing to bite the bullet this time, as long as the dialup isn't required if you use the physical disc

Could you expand a bit more on it? Do you mean like check if you've registered the title with Club Nintendo or something along those lines? I'm not too sure I follow.

GPW comes-up with the best touchscreen-related videos! Almost like he has a bookmark folder of these things stashed for when they're useful. Very educational, no doubt.. his haptics links goodness are still my favorites. :)

My "bookmark folder" is called "google". I pretty much just do a search every time and hope really hard. Heck, I don't even have links to past posts here on GAF (though I did start doing that "#ABCDE: Nintendo goes third party, announces Wii U is now just a multiplatform controller" thread history stuff).

test_account

XP-39C²
No man (or woman) can resist jumping to online mode when they have a chance to. Haha

Do you plan on getting Black Ops 2 for Wii U for for another console/PC?
True hehe :)

I'm getting the PS3 version myself, but i'm interesting in seeing what the WiiU version will offer (same with the Vita version (assumably) for that matter). Are you getting the WiiU version?

Penguin

That analyst had no inside sources. He just read about Kojima saying no to Project Ogre on Wii U and decided from there, "Konami only plans limited support!", and then looked at the list of announced Activision games, didn't see Wii U anywhere, and said, "Activision isn't supporting Wii U at all!" Analysts are idiots.

I won't deny that.. though my beef with analysts.. is for different reason.

I just know people who put extra stock in things that come out of their mouth because.. they have some inside connection that the rest of us don't or something like that.

Linkhero1

True hehe :)

I'm getting the PS3 version myself, but i'm interesting in seeing what the WiiU version will offer (same with the Vita version (assumably) for that matter). Are you getting the WiiU version?

I'm planning to if Nintendo announces a good online infrastructure along the lines of PSN/XBL, otherwise I'll stick with the 360 version.

HylianTom

Banned
Time for another blast from the past!!!

This week in 2006, a survey about console allegiance came out. I don't read too much into it, but as someone who loves B.S. stats, I always get a kick out of this kind of stuff.

NextGenAllegianceChart.jpg

What your next generation system preference says about you
http://www.siliconera.com/2006/05/0...n-system-preference-says-about-you/#more-1218

And the press release:
Press Release
SONY, MICROSOFT AND NINTENDO ARE BATTLING OVER “THE UNDECIDEDS”

IGN SURVEY SHOWS 14% UNSURE ABOUT NEXT-GEN VIDEOGAME CONSOLE PURCHASE

Console Makers Must Court PlayStation 2-Owner Fans of “Lost” who Listen to Gorillaz on their MP3 Players and Eat at Taco Bell, According to IGN

May 1, 2006 - Brisbane, Calif. - In the race to be the leading next-generation console, any of the three manufacturers can take the prize, according to results of a recent study by IGN Entertainment’s GamerMetrics and IGN Research Solutions. The “IGN Research: Next-Gen Console Allegiance” survey shows that while 36% of the IGN.com audience claims loyalty to the PlayStation 3, the spread is narrow enough for the undecided 14% to make the critical difference. 28% say they have the strongest allegiance to the Xbox 360, while 22% pledge their faithfulness to the Nintendo Wii. IGN’s survey also profiled and analyzed the undecided gamer by lifestyle choices, media consumption habits, favorite brands and game genre preferences to understand what Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony need to consider as they strategize to emerge as the victor.

One noteworthy quality about the undecided gamers is the fact that they prefer role-playing games (RPGs), while the favorite genre of the entire survey sample is Action. This, coupled with the fact that 79% currently own a PlayStation 2 - traditionally considered the top console for players of RPGs - might give Sony the edge over their competitors.

Favorite brands of the undecided gamers include Google, Apple, Coke, Taco Bell, Target and Dell. The group’s affinity for youth-focused brands that offer quality products for reasonable prices might favor Nintendo’s next-gen approach.

Gamers undecided about their next-gen purchases seem to spend more time and money consuming their entertainment at home. More have sizable DVD collections than go out to the movies (67% own at least 20 DVDs, while only 50% went to see a
movie within the 30 days before taking the survey), and many (47%) plan to buy an HDTV. They won’t be using it to watch MTV, however. Only 17% watch “Punk’d,” while an even smaller 10% watch “The Real World.” Undecided gamers will
instead be watching their choice television drama, “Lost,” as will those allied with the Xbox 360, a positive sign for Microsoft. PlayStation 3 enthusiasts by and large prefer “24,” while Nintendo Wii devotees favor “Smallville.”

Other findings about the undecided gamer include:
. 70% own a handheld gaming device (their preferred handheld being the PSP)
. 90% regularly download music from the internet; 60% own MP3 players
. Favorite band is Gorillaz (which is true also for those most excited about
the Nintendo Wii. Xbox 360 fans prefer Nirvana, while those awaiting the
PlayStation 3 most enjoy Eminem.)

IGN’s research suggests that Microsoft must lose its reputation as being first and foremost for the First-Person Shooter crowd to appeal to a broader market. Nintendo must appeal to the consumer who can not afford to spend close to $500 on a new console and Sony must reach out to their loyalists by promoting backwards capability with the PlayStation 2 and offering functionality with the PSP.

maeda

So I have spotted rumblings about "No RE 6" on Wii U in various Gaf threads. Where is this info about there being no RE 6 version for Wii U coming from?

So I have spotted rumblings about "No RE 6" on Wii U in various Gaf threads. Where is this info about there being no RE 6 version for Wii U coming from?
no one knows if it's going to come out eventually, but as of right now, it's not coming at launch or for a while, unless Nintendo surprises at E3 with the announcement and capcom lied.

11redder

Plus Kotick said that you bet against Nintendo at your peril or something similar after the Wii U unveiling at E3 last year.

HylianTom

Banned
Also, here are the games that Bozon knew about for the Wii at the nine-days-before-E3 point:

Nintendo Wii: We may possibly see, based on our “Every Game We Know About” list:
-Metroid Prime 3
-Super Smash Bros Online
-Super Mario Revolution
-Zelda TP: With Rev Control
-Animal Crossing (?)
-Super Mario Kart (?)
-Untitled N-Space
-Camelot RPG (?)
-Cooking Game (?)
-Trauma Center Rev.
-Sponge Bob
-Madden Revolution
-Untitled Capcom
-Untitled Midway
-Untitled Natsume (Harvest Moon? River King?)
-Pangya Golf
-THQ Cars
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
-New IP
-Super Monkey ball
-Sonic
-Tony Hawk
-Red Steel

So what happens when E3 comes and goes, and there still isn't much announced software wise. Do we still cling to a mystery NDA?
Honestly?

It wouldn't surprise me too much, so it wouldn't get me too aggravated. I still see anemic third-party support, especially from the West.
The long-embittered part of me would just say, "fine. Let's see how that works-out for 'em. {*Ganon laugh*:} Heh heh heh.."

maeda

Capcom was asked, and they said that they're not working on a Wii U version right now.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Well Capcom says many things. If they are indeed not working on a version of RE 6 for Wii U, which is highly unlikely IMO, then the company is run by a bunch of idiots. Missing out on launch is one of the dumbest things they can do.
So what happens when E3 comes and goes, and there still isn't much announced software wise. Do we still cling to a mystery NDA?
We show middle finger to 3rd parties and continue buying Nintendo games as usual.

BurntPork

Banned
Well Capcom says many things. If they are indeed not working on a version of RE 6 for Wii U, which is highly unlikely IMO, then the company is run by a bunch of idiots. Missing out on launch is one of the dumbest things they can do.

I don't think they would just flat-out lie. It's definitely not coming at launch.

Nibel

The NDA must be dead by then. When the console is revealed - even without exact date and price - then there is no point in NDA'ing that shit.

But then again it's Nintendo *sigh*, right?

maeda

I don't think they would just flat-out lie. It's definitely not coming at launch.
Well they wouldn't be the first one to do so. But, yeah, after Capcom Wii fiasco I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom is happy poisoning another well with shitty support or lack of it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Bloober Team appeared in several categories on mapyourshow, like Action, Adventure, Arcade, Shooter.

The polish studio has some games on WiiWare and DsiWare like Last Flight, Paper Wars, Bloons, Double Bloob, and their most recent title is the Lost-Viking inspired A-men for PS Vita.

Let's hope they're developing a good project for the Wii U eShop :)

I think there's other new additions on other categories as well but don't have time to check if they already have been reported here.

Linkhero1

I'm going to rustle someone's jimmies.

But seriously I expect to be more content from western devs than Japanese devs. I'll still be in denial mode for a while until I've come to terms.

MDX

Time for another blast from the past!!!

This week in 2006, a survey about console allegiance came out. I don't read too much into it, but as someone who loves B.S. stats, I always get a kick out of this kind of stuff.

nextgen2.jpg

:

One noteworthy quality about the undecided gamers is the fact that they prefer role-playing games (RPGs), while the favorite genre of the entire survey sample is Action. This, coupled with the fact that 79% currently own a PlayStation 2 - traditionally considered the top console for players of RPGs - might give Sony the edge over their competitors.

Nintendo seriously missed out on this market by fumbling with Xenoblade, Last Story, Panadora Tower, etc. Lets see what they will offer with WiiU.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Bloober Team appeared in several categories on mapyourshow, like Action, Adventure, Arcade, Shooter.

The polish studio has some games on WiiWare and DsiWare like Last Flight, Paper Wars, Bloons, Double Bloob, and their most recent title is the Lost-Viking inspired A-men for PS Vita.

Let's hope they're developing a good project for the Wii U eShop :)

I think there's other new additions on other categories as well but don't have time to check if they already have been reported here.
The only recent addition (apart from Bloober Team of course) to Wii U categories is that of ROYAL ELECTRONICS INC under the categories Compilations, Distributor, Hardware, Localization and Retail.

http://www.royalelec.com/

Also, Game Quest was added to Retail.

http://www.proximogames.com/

I found this so boring I didn't even bother to report it. These were added last week.

VariantX

We show middle finger to 3rd parties and continue buying Nintendo games as usual.

Not working on isn't the same as saying its never happening. There's a good possibility that it could show up within a year or so after launch with added incentives like having it be sort of a GOTY edition.

Penguin

I don't think folks cling to mysterious NDAs now.

But if not much is announced at e3, well Nintendo screwed the pooch in convincing 3rd parties over the past year and a half, which isn't a good thing.

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo seriously missed out on this market by fumbling with Xenoblade, Last Story, Panadora Tower, etc. Lets see what they will offer with WiiU.

Agree 110%.

This is perhaps one of my top third-party wishes for the upcoming generation: that jRPG developers get a sense of comfort with the Wii U to the point where it becomes their platform of choice. In terms of easing into HD development, limiting increases in development costs, a platform that'll be friendly to Japanese aesthetics/space considerations/features/etc.. I'm hoping that the Wii U can attract its share of these titles.

Even if we get one Xenoblade or Symphonia-level title per year, I'd personally be very, very happy. A title of that nature can keep me busy for months on-end. :)

Pretty much. If they want to skip the Nintendo platform again, I'm not going to financially reward them for that behaviour. They can go and.. {*grumble, grumble!*}

BurntPork

Banned

But if not much is announced at e3, well Nintendo screwed the pooch in convincing 3rd parties over the past year and a half, which isn't a good thing.

We're all still sure there's an NDA. Deny it if you want, but it exists.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;37501228 said:
The only recent addition to Wii U categories is that of ROYAL ELECTRONICS INC under the categories Compilations, Distributor, Hardware, Localization and Retail.

http://www.royalelec.com/

Also, Game Quest was added to Retail.

http://www.gamequestdirect.com/

I found this so boring I didn't even bother to report it. These were added last week.

Well, maybe one of these not-very-known studios (those listed in gaming categories) will launch a hit on Wii U eShop :)

Keep the sleuthing, i reported bloober because i thought maybe you or others didn't had the time to do it.

Linkhero1

It's not mysterious if it's really there. I think if there was no NDA in place that we would have seen some announcements for the Wii U unless third party don't want their games on the platform.

Pretty much, bar Ubisoft for some reason. Maybe because we knew of the majority of their titles (AC3, Killer Freaks etc) last E3.

Yup. We didn't get news regarding any other third party games after E3 that I can remember. Just a bunch of rumors, speculations, and hints.

Jokeropia

lol there aren't 200 games that sold a million copies on wii
Hm, did a quick Google search and i found about 20 3rd party titles that have sold over 1 million copies each in the US. I dont think that there are many extra games in Europe that has sold a million copies. In Japan there is Monster Hunter 3. So maybe he ment 20 instead of 200.
I would like to know where he got the number.

It is within possibility, but the only numbers Nintendo has really given is the list of games that have sold 1 million copies in the US only as of the third calendar quarter of 2011. This quantity is forty-two.

Given that it is now over half a year later and that this million seller number is from one country only, it is certainly possible. We'd need to see, for example, a list of "half-million sellers" in the US, which would probably be a lot closer to that 200 mark.

I can say this: Jokeropia did not get his number from that site. The numbers they have aren't even close to what he's providing.

edit: I should note that the overall software sales in the US of the Wii is in the same ballpark as the Xbox 360's and is likely decently higher worldwide overall. We did some calculation on this earlier during a slow night, and I'll try to find it.
Nintendo used to release counts for the number of million sellers for each of there systems during the financial results briefings. They haven't done that list since the end of last fiscal year. At that time there were 243 worldwide million sellers for the two "Nintendo platforms this generation," 161 of those being third party titles. Given the extra year, claiming "'about' 200" titles should be close enough.
Thanks, JJConrad. I have to wonder why so many people misread that comment. If I only meant Wii, I wouldn't say "Nintendo platforms".

Mithos

Depends how you mean, I have not played ANY of my PS3 games online, and I have a few that have online modes, Uncharted 2 is the only one, and that's for 5mins to get the 2 online trophies that existed, nothing more.

Conor 419

Banned
Capcom said there were no plans or something.

But, as a result of the NDA. I'm not going to judge the third party lineup till post E3.

Pretty much. If they want to skip the Nintendo platform again, I'm not going to financially reward them for that behaviour. They can go and.. {*grumble, grumble!*}

I agree. Its Nintendo games + whatever comes from 3rd partys. If they ignore Nintendo again then they can go fart in elevators while wearing a reggie costume.

Linkhero1

Depends how you mean, I have not played ANY of my PS3 games online, and I have a few that have online modes, Uncharted 2 is the only one, and that's for 5mins to get the 2 online trophies that existed, nothing more.

I was talking about CoD and people who play CoD games in general. I don't really play anything else online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom