• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come announced - Realistic open-world first-person Medieval RPG

First real info from CZ magazine
-> no publisher found - kickstarter (500 000,-) - if they hit it rest of the devlopment pays investor(czech millionare), if not development ends
-> thx to no publisher - game will be cut to 3 episodes with 30h of gameplay each
-> main character is young blacksmith
-> equip will be realistic - layers of cloths+armor inc. underpants
-> every hit will be calculated in real time, so if you hit someone with the sword on helmet first will be evaluated damage to the helmet, further will be calulated transfer of force to the head of the enemy and other possible injuries and at the same moment will be also calculated the trajectory of the sword that slides from the on the shoulder and collarbone ...

- more info on KS with new trailer at evening

damn. Thanks for the info.

I really hope publishing houses come to regret the way they fund games... and that this game does well.

Dead Man

-> no publisher found - kickstarter (500 000,-) - if they hit it rest of the devlopment pays investor(czech millionare), if not development ends
-> thx to no publisher - game will be cut to 3 episodes with 30h of gameplay each
-> main character is young blacksmith
-> equip will be realistic - layers of cloths+armor inc. underpants
-> every hit will be calculated in real time, so if you hit someone with the sword on helmet first will be evaluated damage to the helmet, further will be calulated transfer of force to the head of the enemy and other possible injuries and at the same moment will be also calculated the trajectory of the sword that slides from the on the shoulder and collarbone ...

So they have started a kickstarter and need to hit 500k before the investor will pay for more, otherwise no game?

So I doubt we're getting this game now ):
500K is a large sum for a new development team and a niche title.
I was looking forward to this too.

Zarx

So I doubt we're getting this game now ):
500K is a large sum for a new development team and a niche title.
I was looking forward to this too.

Well at least they have a quite decent looking playable build of the game they can use to produce promote the campaign. They have a decent shot at it as long as they manage the campaign well.

Dead Man

It's right there in plain English.

I can't tell if you are serious or not, apologies. This board has broken me lately. I will assume you are not, and will join in your mirth. If you are serious, pretend this is taunts about your mothers virtue or something along those lines.

Well at least they have a quite decent looking playable build of the game they can use to produce promote the campaign. They have a decent shot at it as long as they manage the campaign well.

That's the main thing that could get it going. From the look of things they will have some solid gameplay to show. 500k certainly isn't impossible.

Sentenza

I'm not sure about how I should read this course of events.
From what I got the game was supposed to aim quite high in terms of ambitions, and I'm a bit skeptic that a crowdfunded project could deliver in that sense, even with a private investor on top.
I also must admit I don't find the idea of having a (former?) open world/sandbox RPG fragmented in episodes too compelling.

Tactics

Does 'realistic' only refer to the look of the game, i.e. making the environments look as historically accurate as possible? Or are they talking about 'realistic' gameplay?
If it's the latter I don't really understand what they're trying to do tbh. If they were really aiming for a realistic experience, they'd have to implement situations like these:

- Your leg is injured in battle. The wound is infected and you eventually lose the leg. You are crippled for the rest of the game.

- You're thrown off your horse. Landing badly, you die. Game over.

- You randomly contract a fatal disease. After a while, you die. Game over.

It's easy to think of many more situations like this, that a realistic game would need to account for. As a fan of games like NetHack I personally wouldn't mind unwinnable situations and random deaths, but wouldn't a game like this be unsellable to a wider audience?

Sentenza

Does 'realistic' only refer to the look of the game, i.e. making the environments look as historically accurate as possible? Or are they talking about 'realistic' gameplay?
If it's the latter I don't really understand what they're trying to do tbh. If they were really aiming for a realistic experience, they'd have to implement situations like these:
CUT
I... think they just meant a realistic setting? As a historically accurate one, without any fantasy element on top.

Moff

this is the kind of game I will like even if its only mediocre, I'm really interested in the concept. migh even back it.

ZoddGutts

KS might do well if they show gameplay off well. Also send a demo to Youtubers like how Larian did with Divinity: Original Sin to gain more awareness of their Kickstarter.

jet1911

New screenshot

903435_695001753865417gfge.jpg

SighFight

Kickstarter Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfmd9ZMyIw

The Kickstarter itself doesn't seem to be up yet. Anyways here's a preview by Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-medieval-unmagic-of-kingdom-come-deliverance/1100-6417236/

From the Gamespot article:
Vávra admits that Kingdom Come: Deliverance was a hard sell to publishers. After all, how big is the market for a fantasy game that isn't that fantastical?

So they found one? No word of Kickstarter in there.

Edit:
Nevermind from Eurogamer:
That's when he says "Kickstarter".

"We agreed that we will go to Kickstarter to raise very small amount compared to the whole budget of the game. We will ask for ... about £300,000, and if we raise such money, the investor will then finance the rest of development himself, and we will self-publish the game.

Twinduct

Hmm hope the 'Act' breakup doesn't confuse people.
Looks promising and hope for the best with this.

Really hope they go the youtube route. Viral exposure seems to be pretty effective for kickstarters.

I like magic and dragons, so not really that excited for this but it does look impressive. Not only that, but it's on PC and I love Chivalry, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Top Bottom