• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PAX Social Experience - GAF meetup, 1up After Party, and two rad things ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

I just got back from PAX and its been a hailstorm of emotions. Ups, downs, explosions, bombshells, oh there is a story to tell. Being an average GAFFer, pseudo-connected in the games industry, and not really expecting much but a myriad of previews- I was pleasantly surprised at the experience.

First off, the PAX meetup with GAFFers. Originally it was supposed to be 10-15 guys, but we ended up with four people. The stigma that GAFFers embody fanboys, reticent assholes, and overly cynical elitists was clearly not the case. Most of us worked in some form in the games industry (places you wish you worked at). Great conversations about console wars / warriors, this Fall, our personal lives, the fragility of the games industry, casual vs. hardcore, Gears 2 / Resistance 2 - it was an intimate look into some clever opinions. It was great meeting you guys.

Here's where GAF will cry bloody murder. Since I was the organizer, I originally planned a GAFcast as a surprise. I invited some of the 1up editors, Intihar, and some other 'surprises', but I ended standing Fragile Eagle up, who later yelled at me, "Where the hell were you, I was there at the Sony booth till 7."

(BTW- Insomniac, he is seriously one of the most genuine PR guys I've ever met. He is truly a class act.)

Secondly, while the majority of people at the event just play the previews, I like to take time out and actually talk to the developers and get insight into gaming production. I found out some amazing bomb shells, most of which I have my mouth zipped on, but here are two things that won't get me in trouble
I hope.

1. LBP will have official Disney DLC.
2. Infamous is targeted for May 2009.

Finally, major props to the editors at 1up, and Bombcast. The Gameworks after party was pretty rad. The guys did a great job of showing that they were gamers, just like you or I, and had a great time treating readers / listeners like peers and colleagues. I talked to Shane in particular, for God knows how long, oh I know he's reading this and knows who I am. It was like a conversation out of an episode of the 1up Show.

Anyway. I'm tired as fuck. I'm sure most people are. I know the hangovers are in full force this morning. If anyone has questions about impressions, just ask.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
thuway said:
First off, the PAX meetup with GAFFers. Originally it was supposed to be 10-15 guys, but we ended up with four people. The stigma that GAFFers embody fanboys, reticent assholes, and overly cynical elitists was clearly not the case. Most of us worked in some form in the games industry (places you wish you worked at). Great conversations about console wars / warriors, this Fall, our personal lives, the fragility of the games industry, casual vs. hardcore, Gears 2 / Resistance 2 - it was an intimate look into some clever opinions.

LOL.

Hi Sucker Punch. Release inFAMOUS on May 17, 2009. My birthday.

and Disney DLC for LBP? really? I want some Mickey Mouse ears and does it count to say Kingdom Hearts has relation with Disney? can I have a keyblade as well? lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Disney DLC is surprising to me considering the fact the depth of the game. I can't imagine little kids sitting around creating levels with this.

thuway

DMPrince said:
Hi Sucker Punch. Release inFAMOUS on May 17, 2009. My birthday.

and Disney DLC for LBP? really? I want some Mickey Mouse ears and does it count to say Kingdom Hearts has relation with Disney? can I have a keyblade as well? lol

Here's a funny story. The exhibition hall was closing Saturday and us GAFFers were in line for LBP. The cutoff was made right in front of us. I told the Sony rep as we were in line "Do you know we are from Neogaf?", he smirked and made sure that we were the last to get our impressions in.

:D

He than talked about the Disney DLC, and I think mentioned actually having Disney characters in the game. I don't remember the full details, but it'll come soon enough. Oh one more thing, there is no collector's edition in the works. If you want that collector's edition, make sure to start your petitions now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
thuway said:
If you want that collector's edition, make sure to start your petitions now.
With all the ludicrous preorder bonuses (littlebigpouch etc..) I don't really think there needs to be a Special edition.

thuway said:
Here's a funny story. The exhibition hall was closing Saturday and us GAFFers were in line for LBP. The cutoff was made right in front of us. I told the Sony rep as we were in line "Do you know we are from Neogaf?", he smirked and made sure that we were the last to get our impressions in.

He than talked about the Disney DLC, and I think mentioned actually having Disney characters in the game. I don't remember the full details, but it'll come soon enough. Oh one more thing, there is no collector's edition in the works. If you want that collector's edition, make sure to start your petitions now.

thanks sony.

Rapping Granny. Go Spam the blog again :lol

Farnack

Banned
Plinko said:
Disney DLC is surprising to me considering the fact the depth of the game. I can't imagine little kids sitting around creating levels with this.
Man, I can't imagine little kids sitting around creating a life size replica of Darth Vader with lego.

The real answer? They don't. They don't have to create extremely well designed levels to have fun. The tools in the game are simple enough for kids to make something they like, and the game will teach them how to make better stuff.

If there are going to be Disney DLC i expect some Disney levels from them or at least competent people to create it. I really want to see a levels created by developers and such. and an official ICO level too ;3

Oh God I'm so sorry that I didn't make it. However, if you want impressions, I can jump in too! I think I was the first one to break here that Wipeout HD was playable, and I played it a few times.

thuway

I drilled into the Sony guy's head that they need Hayao Miyazaki to design a level for the Japanese market. I get shivers just thinking of Kodamas..... If Disney gets a crack, Studio Ghibli will do wonders for the title. Just put a Princess Mononoke themed level in a kiosk.

I'll echo AlphaTw0, if you want impressions just ask.

Narcosis

thuway said:
I drilled into the Sony guy's head that they need Hayao Miyazaki to design a level for the Japanese market. I get shivers just thinking of Kodamas.....

That is a really cool idea

Plinko said:

We've got grown men bitchin' in another thread about the exclusivity of a game with Donald Duck in it.

And also you do know LBP is a platformer with over 50 levels?

thuway said:

OK WTF IS THIS SHIT!

This would have been my first CE purchase for a game ever, I didn't even get the MGS4 CE.

Somebody start a new thread, we need to recruit.

Somnia

DMPrince said:
50 some levels if they don't have internet access or for those that don't know how to download level or don't plan to making actual levels ;P

True...though I'm sure the majority of the people who buy this game will have internet access...unless it really does break into the mainstream

thuway

One more bombshell -

David Ellis is an extremely charismatic guy in real life. He mentioned that the season premiere of the next 1up Show will have a huge focus on R2. You'll see an updated look at the Resistance 2 public beta. He teased about it for a few minutes, and everyone who got to listen was hyped X 5. I'm going to refrain from specifics so shock factor will be there, but everyone will be really happy. Make sure to download.

Trevelyan

Banned
Thanks a lot Thuway. Great stuff. With Infamous slated for May, I imagine Spring for Sony will be Feb-KZ2, Mar-RE5, Apr-White Knight, May-Infamous. Not bad.

Somnia

thuway said:
Oh I forgot -

David Ellis is an extremely charismatic guy in real life. He mentioned that the season premiere of the next 1up Show will have a huge focus on R2. You'll see an updated look at the Resistance 2 public beta. He teased about it for a few minutes, and everyone who got to listen was hyped X 5. I'm going to refrain from specifics so shock factor will be there, but everyone will be really happy. Make sure to download.

=O

Now that is the kinda news I like to hear!

thuway

Rapping Granny said:
Also what's your impression for Far Cry 2? is the AI that bad as some people say?
Most of the games on the show floor aren't finished yet. So I would hold off on making any judgement. The game looks fantastic. The venue is not the best place to preview games.

element

I'm sorry I didn't make it to the meet :( I couldn't remember where to meet at and then got hung up and couldn't get to Gameworks for the 1up thing :(

Fun show though. Need a day to recover. Feet are killing me.

Igo

DMPrince said:
If there are going to be Disney DLC i expect some Disney levels from them or at least competent people to create it. I really want to see a levels created by developers and such. and an official ICO level too ;3

Official Cave of Wonders level confirmed? Please Sony make this happen, with free flowing lava pushing the sackboys/girls through the level.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So would you recommend going to PAX alone?
It's something I'd be really interested in doing, but I don't know if I could get a friend to go with me.
I'm also a little bit nervous about how "hardcore" the gathering is supposed to be.
I've played games all my life and it's my biggest passion, but I'm not particularly meganerdy.
Well, maybe I am (totally am) but PAX seems intimidating.

thuway

Jtwo said:
So would you recommend going to PAX alone?
It's something I'd be really interested in doing, but I don't know if I could get a friend to go with me.
I'm also a little bit nervous about how "hardcore" the gathering is supposed to be.
I've played games all my life and it's my biggest passion, but I'm not particularly meganerdy.
Well, maybe I am (totally am) but PAX seems intimidating.
People are generally friendly. Its a public event. Its always nice to have a friend, I brought one with me, but for the most part, I wandered off by myself playing what I wanted.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I have no idea where to ask this and I doubt you know..
But is Levine's keynote and Gabe/Tycho's panel going to be available to listen to anywhere?

dLMN8R

thuway said:
Most of the games on the show floor aren't finished yet. So I would hold off on making any judgement. The game looks fantastic. The venue is not the best place to preview games.
I was the guy who posted the Far Cry 2 AI bitching comments and I agree with you - I made sure to say multiple times that the code we were playing obviously wasn't finished, and hopefully the AI and other factors will be heavily tuned before release.

But the game, as displayed, absolutely did have awful, awful AI.

Anyway, I was up there for a bit talking with Shane and the others and I completely agree with you - everyone was so kind, gracious, etc. Awesome time had by all.

Oh, and a big LOL to the nerds standing in line to get to the bar. Dudes - it's a bar. You shove your way up to the front or you're never getting a drink :lol :lol

dLMN8R said:
I was the guy who posted the Far Cry 2 AI bitching comments and I agree with you - I made sure to say multiple times that the code we were playing obviously wasn't finished, and hopefully the AI and other factors will be heavily tuned before release.
Did you check the FC2 demo in the main theatre on saturday? The guy doing the demo made it a point to say that the version he was playing was nearly complete, and that they were sending it to cert soon.

thuway

devilchicken said:
Did you check the FC2 demo in the main theatre on saturday? The guy doing the demo made it a point to say that the version he was playing was nearly complete, and that they were sending it to cert soon.
No I didn't get to.

The only good thing in a LBP LE would be real sackboy doll. And since there's no way they would be able to make enough of those in time for October, I'm glad they're not doing an LE.

Meier

Rapping Granny said:
30hvghu.jpg

I need to know... is this Cheryl from Curb Your Enthusiasm? I've wondered it for ages..

thuway

akachan ningen said:
The only good thing in a LBP LE would be real sackboy doll. And since there's no way they would be able to make enough of those in time for October, I'm glad they're not doing an LE.
Ehhh..... I still would rather buy collector's version, with hardcover box, soundtrack, custom art, and a limited edition Sackboy. There are a ton of little promo items that can be given away that will hold sentimental value.

thuway

LOL someone bumped this thread. Jesus, hopefully GAF reconsiders my junior member status :-/, I do somethings here and there. But yeah dude, why would you bump this almost three year old thread. Just make a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom