• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is evidently the name of the new game

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Update: Thread title was originally "Rumor: Electronic Arts files trademark for "Mirror's Edge Catalyst" in Europe". More information has been made available, thanks shinobi602, supporting that this is indeed EA's doing and that it could very well concern (be the name) the upcoming game for consoles and PC.

Today, on June 8, 2015, an entity believed to be Electronic Arts (due to representative being J A Kemp, which EA has been working with for a long time) filed a trademark for "Mirror's Edge Catalyst" in Europe via the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM). It is a basic CTM filing for computer game software:

Trade mark information

Name: MIRROR’S EDGE CATALYST
Filing number: 014220396
Basis: CTM
Date of receipt: 08/06/2015
Type: Word
Nature: INDIVIDUAL
Nice classes: 9, 41 ( Nice Classification )
Vienna Classification
Filing date: 08/06/2015
Registration date
Expiry date
Designation date

Filing language: English
Second language: French
Application reference: TM402329EM-BRM/JXM
Trade mark status: Application filed
Acquired distinctiveness: No

Goods and services

9 Computer game software; downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices; video game software.
41 Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game; Provision of information relating to electronic computer games provided via the Internet.

Representatives

J A KEMP

ID: 10662
Organisation: n/a
Legal status: Legal Person
Type: Association
State/county: n/a
Town: London
Post code: WC1R 5JJ
Address: 14 South Square Gray's Inn
Correspondence address: J A KEMP
14 South Square
Gray's Inn
London WC1R 5JJ
REINO UNIDO
00 44-2030778600
00 44-2072428932
mail@jakemp.com
Source: https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/014220396

Since last year, the OHIM doesn't show, for security and data protection purposes, the owner of a filing until the application fee is paid, so for now we can only assume that this is EA's doing. Hence why I marked this as rumor. This label can perhaps be removed from the title once more information becomes available. Of course, there is an offset chance that this is a hoax, but it seems very unlikely.

There you have it anyway. Could it be the new title of the upcoming Mirror's Edge maybe, or is it related to something different? Whatever it is, an answer at E3 next week isn't unthinkable.

Luke_Wal

That seems like a good name. I'm not sure I can imagine they'll just call it Mirrors Edge, although with the way EA names Need For Speed games, I might be wrong.

MUnited83

For you.
Probably a mobile game.

I actually enjoyed the first mobile game quite a bit, so if it's a sequel to that then great.

MayMay

Banned
Certainly better than just "Mirror's Edge" - yess.

Also, totally forgot that game exists.. now I'm even more hyped for E3

Eggbok

That seems like a good name. I'm not sure I can imagine they'll just call it Mirrors Edge, although with the way EA names Need For Speed games, I might be wrong.

They might, it's totally possible.
New NFS is just called Need for Speed and it's a reboot.
New BF is just called Battlefront and it's a reboot.
New ME is also a reboot and has just been called Mirror's Edge.

Maybe Catalyst the new addiction to the name though or maybe it's a sequel to the mobile runner.

Well, Mirror's Edge being my favorite game of all time and all, I for one am pretty hyped for Mirror's Edge: Substance That Increases The Rate of a Chemical Reaction Without Undergoing Any Permanent Chemical Alteration Itself

It's a bold move for a sequel and an unusually long subtitle but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'll show myself out.

18k3nwygds4rnjpg.jpg

Again, EA?

Percy

Banned
Was kinda hoping for a subtitle word starting with 'H' so we'd have a funny acronym to use for the game.

I don't think this is a f2p microtransaction-fuelled mobile spin-off, it's probably the new title for the main game. I mean, calling the successor Mirror's Edge seven years after Mirror's Edge came out would just be silly.

Mindwipe

That's a terrible title.

I'd be all up for a new mobile game if it was like the last one, which was really fun.

But it's EA, so it would be a FTP ridden shitfest this time.

so a new console game reveal alongside the mobile? please

You know the sequel/reboot was not only confirmed for PS4, One and PC, but given a trailer last year and the year before, right?

Or am I somehow misunderstanding what you're saying here?

Little Old Man said:
Catalyst? Hopefully it will speed up the development of the game.
BbgL7x3.gif

krang

You know the sequel/reboot was not only confirmed for PS4, One and PC, but given a trailer last year and the year before, right?

Reveal vs. announcement.

It was more of a teaser than an actual reveal.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
New mobile game id say.

Why are people calling the new console game a sequel? Its not. They've said many times its a total reboot.

Daria

]

With no release date or actual gameplay really. I want real gameplay to see how skewed this reboot is going to be to the original because I'm hyped about playing this

They might, it's totally possible.
New NFS is just called Need for Speed and it's a reboot.
New BF is just called Battlefront and it's a reboot.
New ME is also a reboot and has just been called Mirror's Edge.

Maybe Catalyst the new addiction to the name though or maybe it's a sequel to the mobile runner.

I hope so 'cause it's a terrible title.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
All I'm glad to see is that this at least means that Mirror's Edge will be shown in some capacity at E3. One of my most anticipated games I'm looking forward to seeing really.

Probably a mobile game. I wish they'd name the new ME something like The Mirror's Edge, to give it some differentiation from the original. Or just Mirror's Edge 2.

Top Bottom