• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

en_D2PjMt6hhU.png
en_SjfDxouH7k.png
Oh dear

Here, green, have a 5/4 haste for four mana. Red, LOL get fucked.

Matsukaze

Hmmm... I've been considering getting back into Magic. Haven't really been invested in the game since Tarkir.

Egyptian plane is bound to have amazing flavor and I like the look of the mechanics. They seem pretty neat. From what I've read, however, it seems like Standard is in a bad place now, yes? Not sure how much I want to commit.

OnPoint

Oh dear

Here, green, have a 5/4 haste for four mana. Red, LOL get fucked.

It legit makes zero sense. Why is red even in the game at this point if all the other colors do its stuff better, while the unique stuff it does is slowly choked into irrelevance and unplayability?

Again, despite both being 3x, a conditional 5/4 creature with indestructible, haste, and a functional ability is not the same thing as an effectively 4/3 creature with haste. Hazoret is 100% the better card in Constructed even if she takes more effort to work.

DrArchon

Looking at that Crocodile more and comparing it to Emporer Crocodile really makes the power creep apparent.

Uncommon, 3G for 5 power and haste, unless you have no creatures in which case it's 4 power.
vs
Rare, 3G for 5 power and no abilities, unless you have no creatures in which case fuck you.

Santiako

Looking at that Crocodile more and comparing it to Emporer Crocodile really makes the power creep apparent.

Uncommon, 3G for 5 power and haste, unless you have no creatures in which case it's 4 power.
vs
Rare, 3G for 5 power and no abilities, unless you have no creatures in which case fuck you.

To be fair, Emperor Crocodile was demoted to common in Eternal Masters, so they are aware that the card is now obsolete and kinda bad.

Santiako

i'm talking about limited

both are uncommons but a 1/2 menace is legit unplayable

never mind green gets haste. feels like a slap in the face.

The 1/2 menace guy is clearly intended for constructed, where he has the potential to be amazing. And we're just finishing Aether Revolt limited, where red is the best colour!

Firemind

The 1/2 menace guy is clearly intended for constructed, where he has the potential to be amazing. And we're just finishing Aether Revolt limited, where red is the best colour!
unless there are cards that cycle for one mana, I doubt it. it doesn't even get +1/+1.

Jhriad

Hmmm... I've been considering getting back into Magic. Haven't really been invested in the game since Tarkir.

Egyptian plane is bound to have amazing flavor and I like the look of the mechanics. They seem pretty neat. From what I've read, however, it seems like Standard is in a bad place now, yes? Not sure how much I want to commit.

Standard isn't in a great place but the limited environment has been pretty consistently above average for a while. You could always jump in for the prerelease or drafts and see how this set out the set afterward affect Standard before you jump back in.

unless there are cards that cycle for one mana, I doubt it. it doesn't even get +1/+1.

Turn 1: Land, Flameblade Adept
Turn 2: Land, Flameblade Adept
Turn 3: Noose Constrictor
Turn 4: Swing board and discard your hand for the win.
Nothing can go wrong here.

Anyway, I'm liking the theme of this set. I can't wait until they show the good cards.

Santiako

That's why I said potential. If there's some good cyclers and discard outlets, there could be some red/x aggro deck where this shines. Maybe with Noose Constrictor or Black Vampires, Fiery Temper, etc

Violet_0

Banned
boring so far, where are the busted 2 mana fliers

the "god" type is meaningless now, it's just another indestructible creature

Tunoku

I wonder if we'll get some kind of hyper efficient Gravecrawler/Bloodghast/Vengevine/Amalgam type card in this block.

Matsukaze

First god:

en_3zm4wIPG70.png
en_NjMBuAVB2Y.png
Hazoret: Behold! I am known as the Fervent!

Planeswalker: I have four cards in hand.

Hazoret: Oh for real? Nvm. I'm just gonna chill, then.

(And yeah, I can't unsee Pervert lol).

Standard isn't in a great place but the limited environment has been pretty consistently above average for a while. You could always jump in for the prerelease or drafts and see how this set out the set afterward affect Standard before you jump back in.
Sounds like a plan. I could go for some drafts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Pervert is pretty bad. I would probably almost always rather just play Fleetwheel Cruiser in an aggressive deck and doing nothing but doming at a relatively high price isn't great. You can get one to drive a Cruiser, of course, but I don't want to pay 4 mana for a Crewbot.

sgjackson

so hazoret only shows up to save the justice league when they're about to die because she doesn't activate until you have one card in hand eh

also i didn't see anyone mention it but the set trailer is the first one of these i've actually liked - it's more of an ambient worldbuilding piece and they're getting better at the motion comic thing.

Poppy

should have made it so that if you discard the pervert, you can choose to put it on top of your deck or something. i dunno, make some kind of payoff for running it with madness and make it be able to get topdecked on an empty hand more easily

Dreavus

I've been out of the loop for a while now, but I can't believe how terrible those "special borders" are. Like you can kind of see what they're going for but the font is just poorly thought out. And it's all caps for some reason. It reminds me of that weird "ancient language" mew promo card for the Pokemon movie, in the worst ways.

I'll be on the lookout for cheap cubables, although I haven't updated mine in the last two years...

Santiako

Big functional change to split cards:

Starting with Amonkhet, we're streamlining split cards a bit. This applies to all split cards, not just the aftermath cards.
Previously, we played a delicate dance when asking about converted mana cost. Sometimes Destined//Lead's CMC is most like 2: Goblin Dark-Dwellers can target it. Sometimes it's more like 4: Transgress the Mind can blorp it. Sometimes it's more like 6: Dark Confidant dings you for 6 if you reveal it.
This rewards players who dig into the rules and figure that out, but it baffles a lot of people, too. So now, it's simple: If Destined//Lead isn't on the stack, it has a converted mana cost of 6. Destined on the stack has a CMC of 2, and Lead on the stack has a CMC of 4, but Destined//Lead, any time it's not one or the other, has CMC 6.

No more casting Boom/Bust from Dwellers, no more free big spells from Kari Zev's Expertise :/

(Straight from Tabak on reddit)

No more Fire/Ice on Isochron Scepters! That's killing a really long interaction :(

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

No more casting Boom/Bust from Dwellers, no more free big spells from Kari Zev's Expertise :/

I'm not surprised. It seemed like the previous interaction was holding them back from really being able to explore the power level of split cards.

Lucario

No more Fire/Ice on Isochron Scepters! That's killing a really long interaction :(
well that fucking sucks :(

makes way more sense for newer players this way, though. These interactions always got me some dirty glances at FNM level, and way too many judge calls.

kirblar

After MTGNext launches I suspect we might see an update on this to restore free-spell compatibility functionality (without the BS), but likely not under the current engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom