• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

1-D_FTW

After plugging in my G27, PS3 purchase justified!

Only wish I hadn't been a dumbass. I could have typed in the free 30 day PSN + code and purchased for 6.99 instead of 9.99. Oh, well.

GrayFoxPL

Hi gang! This is the reason why I was away for all this time from this thread. The next episode of VERSUS BATTLECAST is now LIVE! It's DAYTONA USA versus RIDGE RACER 2!

VERSUS BATTLECAST: DAYTONA USA versus RIDGE RACER 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfcJJsz-Fo

Enjoy and spread the word!

Awesome video, pleasure to watch.

How did you get so good footage of RR2? Last time I tried it on the emu it looked wonky, but it was long time ago I admit.

Btw. should I watch the VF2 vs Tekken 2 battlecast when I love VF2 but Tekken 2 I love way more? I don't want to get all red and grumpy. ;P

Trojan X

Banned
Awesome video, pleasure to watch.

How did you get so good footage of RR2? Last time I tried it on the emu it looked wonky, but it was long time ago I admit.

Btw. should I watch the VF2 vs Tekken 2 battlecast when I love VF2 but Tekken 2 I love way more? I don't want to get all red and grumpy. ;P

Thanks dude. I'm really glad that you like it. You GOT to watch the VF2 vs Tekken 2, the fighting style will shock you, especially when you see Shun Di and Akira. :)

GrayFoxPL

Thanks dude. I'm really glad that you like it. You GOT to watch the VF2 vs Tekken 2, the fighting style will shock you, especially when you see Shun Di and Akira. :)

I tried, but I shouldn't. Great to see VF2 running at it's real 496x384 resolution without no existent then antialiasing - really fair comparison. Turned it off after comparing to Street Fighter.

Trojan X

Banned
haha! Just do it and don't kid yourself. :)

If (or when) it comes out on XBL it will look exactly the same. Beside, even at that resolution you mentioned, you won't have the exact look expecting unless you are using a MEGALOMO projector screen. That made all the difference in the world to every Model 2 game. Street Fighter 2 used the standard CRT screens found in TVs today . ;)

zomg that vid

mCkBj.jpg

\(^o^)/

Trojan X

Banned
zomg that vid

mCkBj.jpg

\(^o^)/

I approve this picture. :)

I've been receiving lots of mail responses regarding my Daytona USA trailer that I created for VERSUS BATTLECAST. People basically saying that my trailer makes SEGAs look like... I'd rather not say but I am really please with the high responses.

Here's the comparison. This is SEGA's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0vPiVpnTs

and this is mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wzfcJJsz-Fo#t=45s

Trojan X

Banned
Put this on last night hoping for a good session but found no games at all. Broke my heart man.

I know. Trust me, the lobby system is practically a field of dreams. You'll get lost unless you flag a beacon and the only way to that is to create a lobby and stop looking for quick games. Trust me on that one.

Beacons are a godsend for downtrending multiplayer games. Its a shame that the lobbies went from jam packed to nearly non-exisistent in a matter of weeks. Keep the game alive! :)

Does anyone know if there's a way to see the best times/leaderboard for arcade and/or time lap mode?
Not the time trial mode, which is only the standard amount of laps.
It must be keeping a record since after arcade finish it tells you your ranking.. but i haven't found a way to see the ranks ... except (i think) for waiting around in attract mode

Dave Long

Banned
I have gotten at least four players every time I've created a lobby recently. Definitely the way to go. Don't just look for games. Do that first for sure, but then create one yourself.

Trojan X

Banned
I have gotten at least four players every time I've created a lobby recently. Definitely the way to go. Don't just look for games. Do that first for sure, but then create one yourself.

Most definitely. That's what I've been saying to people many times here. Glad that you agree with me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Trojan's latest episode is just....HEAVENLY. Everyone go watch it nao! I not only watched it I downloaded it to my HD so I can watch it for years and years to come. Excellent narrating as well! :D

Whoah dude....c'mon get the next episode out already I'm dying to see it LOL! :p

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I, for some ungodly reason, decided to double-dip on the game. Before I download the PSN version, does it still come with the 8-bit XMB theme?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, so the 8-bit XMB theme is a separate $1.49 purchase now. Wev, I have an extra $2 or so in my account and I want to support modus...

:downloads 8-bit XMB theme and PSN version of game:

Trojan X

Banned
Trojan's latest episode is just....HEAVENLY. Everyone go watch it nao! I not only watched it I downloaded it to my HD so I can watch it for years and years to come. Excellent narrating as well! :D

Whoah dude....c'mon get the next episode out already I'm dying to see it LOL! :p

Edgeward said:
Whoa, the production in this video is amazing. Real nice work.

Thanks guys! I am really please that you are loving the video. I worked very hard on it, even creating the 3D for the Ridge Racer trailer took forever with hours upon hours of rendering time. However, it was worth it if it means its good enough to be part of your memorabilia. That makes me very happy.

I hope more and more people watch the videos. Please spread the word.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Daytona USA will be $6.99 on PSN this week to January 2, 2012, Christmas sale.

Tarin02543

I've been playing this together with Sonic CD for the past couple of days now, pure gaming nostalgia heaven!

If Sega ever decides to make a port of Virtua Fighter 1 I'll be the happiest man alive.

Trojan X

Banned
I've been playing this together with Sonic CD for the past couple of days now, pure gaming nostalgia heaven!

If Sega ever decides to make a port of Virtua Fighter 1 I'll be the happiest man alive.

I hear that completely.

I think SEGA main problem with porting these classic games is content. They need to come up with a genius way to make all ported games of the 90s more "fulfilling" without breaking their bank. For example, I had a lovely Christmas dinner with my friend the other day and I asked him if he purchased Daytona USA. To my surprise, he he didn't purchase the game because even though he agrees that its the best racing game ever, he didn't' buy it because the overall package was too "skeleton". He said, and I agree, that SEGA should have at least added a few more tracks, even if they were from the Dreamcast version at least it would have been something, and also include a REVERSE mode that takes place in a night-time setting of some sort in the game. If that was done, then he would have purchased the game in a heart-beat. Do you want to know what the sad thing is? Well, my friend use to work and create games at SEGA during their golden days and some of the games he made are incredible.

Well, I hope other SEGA people are listening. Deliver the games but just add a little bit more content and "consider" in everything they put in (e.g. the multi-player lobby situation in Daytona USA is a major oversight).

Trojan X

Banned
Oh, to ensure high Virtua Fighter sales, I believe that Virtua Fighter 1 should be combined and sold with Virtua Fighter 2. Virtua Fighter 1 and, unfortunately Virtua Fighter 2, doesn't have enough weight to receive high sales due to the mentality of gamers today. So to ensure a strong or above satisfactory sales, both titles should be combined together and include the same options as the SEGA Saturn option. I.e. EXPERT and WATCH mode (in fact, replace WATCH with Replay mode instead but containing all the Watch mode camera angles). If SEGA do that then they would get another DAY ONE sell-out.

Oh, they should let me make their adverts instead. :p

Tarin02543

I hear that completely.

I think SEGA main problem with porting these classic games is content. They need to come up with a genius way to make all ported games of the 90s more "fulfilling" without breaking their bank. For example, I had a lovely Christmas dinner with my friend the other day and I asked him if he purchased Daytona USA. To my surprise, he he didn't purchase the game because even though he agrees that its the best racing game ever, he didn't' buy it because the overall package was too "skeleton". He said, and I agree, that SEGA should have at least added a few more tracks, even if they were from the Dreamcast version at least it would have been something, and also include a REVERSE mode that takes place in a night-time setting of some sort in the game. If that was done, then he would have purchased the game in a heart-beat. Do you want to know what the sad thing is? Well, my friend use to work and create games at SEGA during their golden days and some of the games he made are incredible.

Well, I hope other SEGA people are listening. Deliver the games but just add a little bit more content and "consider" in everything they put in (e.g. the multi-player lobby situation in Daytona USA is a major oversight).

I actually disagree with your friend and like to think of the skeleton package as an incentive to buy it as it gives you the exact same version you played 15 years ago in the arcades.

Trojan X

Banned
I actually disagree with your friend and like to think of the skeleton package as an incentive to buy it as it gives you the exact same version you played 15 years ago in the arcades.

I know exactly what you mean but the problem is many people thinks the same as he does. So the question is how do you resolve that? I'd like to think that there is a way for both markets to eat and enjoy the same cake. However, the way the industry is going it appears that unless one side suffers, the audience will always be too segmented on something that shouldn't be, which affect both sales and the strategic decision for future product releases. So without considering making additions, or receiving high sales , it seems even more unlikely that we would get awesome games like SEGA RALLY 2, Scud Race and others on Xbox Arcade and PSN. It's sad...

Your thoughts?

Trojan X

Banned
Sega Rally + Sega Rally 2.

easy port, easy money maker.

My dream would be to have SEGA RALLY 2 with Model 3 arcade (in HD) but with Dreamcast content. That would make me go insane. Packaged with SEGA RALLY 1 and, somehow, what ever you do in SEGA RALLY would affect SEGA RALLY 2 then I'll buy it at £39.99 without hesitation.

It's interesting... That's what bundle packages are missing, synergy. Here's another example, Virtua Cop 1 and 2... From the way the game is presented (storybased), there will be no confusion with both game working with each other (e.g. you start from VC1 and continue your efforts on VC2 together with your score and achievement from the first game and so on). If done right, then that would give me more incentive to play both games equally and with greater satisfaction. The only issue would be for games like VF1 & 2... I wouldn't know how to make both titles work with each other as they are both too radically different, unlike Virtua Cop.

I miss LightGun gaming. Virtua Cops, House of dead, Time Crisis, Let's Go Jungle and Lost World are incredible light gun games.

Koralsky

I just wish original Sega Rally model 2 port (1080p, 60FPS), with Saturn extras and OST.

I'll be in heaven.

Anyone know how are the sales of Sega Rally Online Arcade on both PS3 and X360?

Trojan X

Banned
I just wish original Sega Rally model 2 port (1080p, 60FPS), with Saturn extras and OST.

I'll be in heaven.

I don't know the numbers but I heard the sales is embarrassing. I'm not surprised though because the demo of SEGA RALLY 3 provided a really dull experience, and the reputation of SEGA RALLY Revo is not creditable even though I like the game.

The BEST thing for SEGA to do right now to re-instate SEGA RALLY as one of the most enjoyable games around is to do the following (get a pen and paper, SEGA):

1) Release SEGA RALLY 1 and 2 as a bundle.

2) Provide a way for users to upload their time on both arcade. laps and time-lap mode.

3) Deliver the arcade model 3 graphics version of SEGA RALLY 2 but deliver the content (courses, weather settings, tires, etc) that made in its entirety the Dreamcast version of SEGA RALLY 2.

4) Provide 2 - 8 players on both games, Sega Rally 1 & 2.

5) Provide a FULL lobby system that allows the host to:
(a) change course without throwing everyone out of the lobby.
(b) provide a poll lobby host feature which allows people to vote what course they want to play when they are inside the lobby.
(c) provide a full points system so players achieve points in dependency of where they rank in a race.
(d) expanding from C, similar to BP points in Street Fighter 4 but we will call it RP (Racing Points), players should be encouraged to keep playing online to build their RP points and those points should be uploaded on the RP worldwide score board.
(e) Massively penalise all players that either 1. race backward, 2. quit out of a race by either quitting or logging off from Xbox LIVE/PSN by turning off their machine or logging out of the network, to prevent cheaters. Also put a system that would recognise players that uses a lag switch to interrupt players.

6. Provide a COMMUNITY option in the game that integrate with the official forum and facebook. This is so people can continue talking about the game and SEGA can announce and regulate online tournaments that everyone can participate in.

7. Provide racing in REVERSE feature. Make this seemless like normal mode so it doesn't feel like an add-on. Change daylight and weather setting to increase interest.

8. Provide extra geometry drawing to make the game 16:9 in 1080p TRUE RGB colour.

9. Upload replays on Facebook and Youtube. Allow people to see your replay and your friends to see your time and announce whether they've beat your score or not. Like FORZA 4, if your friends beaten your time, then the game should ask whether you want to beat the time your friend has achieved in which it will take you straight to the game if you accept the challenge.

10. From ALL menus screens baring the main game, the game should automatically highlight which one of your friends are playing the game. From this, there should be a one button press that allows you to immediate invite your friend for a game or into your lobby.

11. Allow players to host tournament events in which would be integrated with the official forums via a calendar system.

12. Include DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 - 7.1 sound.

13. Include ALL music from the SEGA Saturn and Dreamcast game. Theme and Loop them appropriately to each course.

Done. If SEGA do that, then I'll buy the game for £49.99 without issues nor hesitation. Call it SEGA RALLY ELITE Edition.

xemumanic

I don't know the numbers but I heard the sales is embarrassing. I'm not surprised though because the demo of SEGA RALLY 3 provided a really dull experience, and the reputation of SEGA RALLY Revo is not creditable even though I like the game.

The BEST thing for SEGA to do right now to re-instate SEGA RALLY as one of the most enjoyable games around is to do the following (get a pen and paper, SEGA):

1) Release SEGA RALLY 1 and 2 as a bundle.

2) Provide a way for users to upload their time on both arcade. laps and time-lap mode.

3) Deliver the arcade model 3 graphics version of SEGA RALLY 2 but deliver the content (courses, weather settings, tires, etc) that made in its entirety the Dreamcast version of SEGA RALLY 2.

4) Provide 2 - 8 players on both games, Sega Rally 1 & 2.

5) Provide a FULL lobby system that allows the host to:
(a) change course without throwing everyone out of the lobby.
(b) provide a poll lobby host feature which allows people to vote what course they want to play when they are inside the lobby.
(c) provide a full points system so players achieve points in dependency of where they rank in a race.
(d) expanding from C, similar to BP points in Street Fighter 4 but we will call it RP (Racing Points), players should be encouraged to keep playing online to build their RP points and those points should be uploaded on the RP worldwide score board.
(e) Massively penalise all players that either 1. race backward, 2. quit out of a race by either quitting or logging off from Xbox LIVE/PSN by turning off their machine or logging out of the network, to prevent cheaters. Also put a system that would recognise players that uses a lag switch to interrupt players.

6. Provide a COMMUNITY option in the game that integrate with the official forum and facebook. This is so people can continue talking about the game and SEGA can announce and regulate online tournaments that everyone can participate in.

7. Provide racing in REVERSE feature. Make this seemless like normal mode so it doesn't feel like an add-on. Change daylight and weather setting to increase interest.

8. Provide extra geometry drawing to make the game 16:9 in 1080p TRUE RGB colour.

9. Upload replays on Facebook and Youtube. Allow people to see your replay and your friends to see your time and announce whether they've beat your score or not. Like FORZA 4, if your friends beaten your time, then the game should ask whether you want to beat the time your friend has achieved in which it will take you straight to the game if you accept the challenge.

10. From ALL menus screens baring the main game, the game should automatically highlight which one of your friends are playing the game. From this, there should be a one button press that allows you to immediate invite your friend for a game or into your lobby.

11. Allow players to host tournament events in which would be integrated with the official forums via a calendar system.

12. Include DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 - 7.1 sound.

13. Include ALL music from the SEGA Saturn and Dreamcast game. Theme and Loop them appropriately to each course.

Done. If SEGA do that, then I'll buy the game for £49.99 without issues nor hesitation. Call it SEGA RALLY ELITE Edition.

Put me down for a copy as well.

BTW, I've been meaning to say like everyone else, I think you've done a great job on your YouTube series. Already subscribed, thumbs up every video, and I hope to see more soon.

stil want Daytona USA 2 more than anything.

Yes.

I'll be in heaven.

I'm totally for that. That would be my choice as well.

My only concern from Sega's perspective is the sale potential/marketability of it. I would be concerned that some less knowledgeable Sega product manager would go, "why are we doing Sega Rally 1 in HD, don't we already have Sega Rally Online Arcade in HD?" Maybe they would be concerned it would create sales confusion, with less hardcore buyers seeing "Sega Rally" and Sega Rally Online Arcade on the store and buying the wrong one.

These would be my concerns as far as obstacles from Sega. I still believe in the sales potential of Sega Rally 1, that it would have strong global appeal as it is still one of the top most downloaded ROMs.

I think it would definitely be profitable as far as Sega's goals.

Trojan X

Banned
Put me down for a copy as well.

BTW, I've been meaning to say like everyone else, I think you've done a great job on your YouTube series. Already subscribed, thumbs up every video, and I hope to see more soon.

Thank you so much! I'll do my best to make every episode every more exciting than the previous. Episode 4 will be LIVE tonight! Please spread the word much as possible, my friend.

Satchel

Banned
I must say, I'd love this treatment that Datyona got to be given to Scud Race.

I've already got the 200GS for Daytona, yet still play it. I usually need to tee up games with my brother online.

I'm surprised this isn't played online a lot more to be honest.

I hear that completely.

I would agree, but it's just so cheap as it is! If they would have dumped the DC tracks on there I would have been expected to pay twice as much for the finshed product...

Trojan X

Banned
Ok gang, I know you've been waiting for this one! This is a christmas packed episode of VERSUS BATTLECAST! This week, we have:

* gone head 2 head with LAST BRONX and SOUL EDGE
* waked down Memory Lane with SCUD RACE
* announced the winner of Episode 2.

gritos_invisibles.1301839400.IMAGEN1.jpg

Check it out here and seriously turned up volume, set it to full screen 1080p, and eat some popcorn goodness while watching the action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkVRr0rA088

Enjoy!

Trojan X

Banned
I would agree, but it's just so cheap as it is! If they would have dumped the DC tracks on there I would have been expected to pay twice as much for the finshed product...

That's highly true. I just wish there was a way for all of us to have the same cake but there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Ok gang, I know you've been waiting for this one! This is a christmas packed episode of VERSUS BATTLECAST! This week, we have:

Check it out here and seriously turned up volume, set it to full screen 1080p, and eat some popcorn goodness while watching the action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkVRr0rA088

Enjoy!

This is SO good. I'm DYING for SCUD Race!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

Enjoy!

The stuff dreams are made of! Fantastic job man! Scud Race 4 life!!

Top Bottom