• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's going to be interesting to see how this develops and how the devs handle long term play. I feel simply adding tons of loot and crap to the game and a traditional "long survival = better rewards" system will turn a lot of people off. They need to make sure they keep a good balance between fear of death, and the perma death not breaking the experience.

Perma death doesnt break anything. If anything I'd be worried about people glitching the system to avoid death or equipment loss.

ScRYeD

Technically you could find your corpse and reloot your stuff, it would be pretty hard but you could do it, unless someone killed you for your loot.

So is there any storage system or way to make a safe house? What is the max player limt for the server?

50 players max that I have seen. To make a sorta safe house find a place with walls all around and a gate. I think you can make traps as well but I don't know how. Backpacks are the only storage you have, starting one is 10 extra slots, next is 15 and lastly the Alice bag with is 20 I think.

Technically you could find your corpse and reloot your stuff, it would be pretty hard but you could do it, unless someone killed you for your loot.

50 players max that I have seen. To make a sorta safe house find a place with walls all around and a gate. I think you can make traps as well but I don't know how. Backpacks are the only storage you have, starting one is 10 extra slots, next is 15 and lastly the Alice bag with is 20 I think.

Yeah, I keep coming across that barbed wire trap stuff but have no idea how to use it.

Supposedly some cars have additional storage. You don't really spend much time staying stationary to make a safe house. You can get into buildings and close the door and there's trap equipment but most of the people staying still are the bandits in the towers picking people off or protecting the weapons at the military base.

Aon

Another really frustrating issue that's present is that the server doesn't always keep everyone's day night cycle in sync.

I was running around with a friend for a few hours last night and while the sun had risen for me around thirty minutes into the session, for him it took another 40 minutes, during which not only could I see colour and he couldn't, I could also see at least a KM further.

It was kind of cool directing him like a blind man but I wish that hadn't come about as part of a bug.

Setre

Played several times now and ended up being killed by a bandit every time, save this last one. My last session was actually the most fun I’ve had and I didn’t even really do anything. I spawned near a flare and asked if anyone was nearby, I ended up following a guy named Coffeepot around.

I was actually surprised he turned his back on me so quickly, but I guess since I’ve been killed by bandits every other time I was just expecting more suspicion. Anyway we ended up going along the coast and found several dead bodies. I could tell he still didn’t trust me that much as he didn’t offer me any of the loot. After a while he warmed up though and started giving me cans of beans, he also taught me how to refill my water bottle.

We eventually headed into a small town and poked around a bit. We ran into a couple of zombies but nothing came of it. We crawled our way back towards the beach and continued to follow the trail of dead bodies. Eventually we hit a pier and there was a body at the end of it. Coffee went to investigate and I covered him. I heard the sound of a gate opening and surveyed the lighthouse directly in front of us. I noticed someone lurking near the door and quickly alerted Coffee.

We snuck our way around the lighthouse and eventually cornered the guy. Coffee asked if he was friendly and the guy nodded in response. Our team was up to three and then I got disconnected.

The mod is a lot more fun when teaming up with someone but I can see the appeal of being a bandit. I had my gun trained on the back of Coffeepot’s head several times and kept thinking how easy it’d be to shoot him and take his shit.

Kritz

Banned
Another really frustrating issue that's present is that the server doesn't always keep everyone's day night cycle in sync.

I was running around with a friend for a few hours last night and while the sun had risen for me around thirty minutes into the session, for him it took another 40 minutes, during which not only could I see colour and he couldn't, I could also see at least a KM further.

It was kind of cool directing him like a blind man but I wish that hadn't come about as part of a bug.

Colour? I couldn't see anything! I was gonna start lobbing flares around if I wasn't so paranoid of being followed.

Kritz

Banned
I actually super love how untrusting people are, and watching my own transformation from a friendly survivor, to guy who considers taking you out if it turns into a "me or him" situation. I still have never... Intentionally killed anyone, but I generally find myself to be a bit more cautious in chat when approaching anyone I might consider a threat.

Then again, I have never been killed by anyone I end up approaching and trusting. Heck, in my 10 lives, every death save one was from zombies. And the one death was a tower sniper going crazy (story on page 3 or so).

So I hope I never get bored of the human interaction. It being the major draw point to the game anyway. I hope these guys take an eve online approach of not interfering with players going crazy within the games own rules, and I hope it doesn't get feature creeped like minecraft or any other often updated games.

Nemic77

The mod is a lot more fun when teaming up with someone but I can see the appeal of being a bandit. I had my gun trained on the back of Coffeepot’s head several times and kept thinking how easy it’d be to shoot him and take his shit.

Yes, yeeess... Give into your feelings. You know it's only a matter of time before you get burned by an incompetent survivor. T

here's nothing preventing you from teaming up with other bandits.

Orgun

After getting catapulted into the sky by an Admin mad with power I came to terms with losing all my shit. Took a break and logged into another server (eventually) and I still had my stuff.

Quiche can attest to the fact that I was shouting Hallelujah and praise the lord :)

Conceptor

Do you have to fix it up or is all ready to go?
Ahhh, the helicopter itself needed some fuel and parts (I assume) but minigun worked just fine - much to Freakinchair's enjoyment.

FLY IT AROUND AND BE THE ENVY OF EVERYONE. That's awesome. I really want to find one but I'm worried I'll end up crashing and burning D:
Yeah we spent a good amount of time looking on the internet to see if anyone had instructions. We decided to just improvise if it worked lol.

what server are you guys on?
US2

e5TOR.jpg
ipSGT.jpg

Orgun

Ah crap, lost my pistol when changing to flashlight! Now im running around with a red flashlight, an empty AK74 and an empty Winchester!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I was thinking about possible issues with the game. Lack of incentives for players to invest in their characters and especially in player run communities on specific servers and how there are a lot of factors that would likely lead people to banditry and unrepentant player killing.

I think a severe but interesting feature could be 24 hour server bans when you die. Permadeaths are great and all, but it just strips players of loot. And with life expectancies being only a little above 4 hours its not that dramatic an occurrence. You die and respawn, no big deal. But if you die and cant log back into that particular server thats a big deal. Dying becomes all the more lethal, losing a member of your party becomes all the more great, being a bandit becomes all the more dangerous, for both sides.

As a bandit your PKing really disrupts the game, youre dropping players out of the game, but at the same time, if theres a really annoying bandit running around and you take him out, hes not just gonna respawn and start PKing you and others, he'll be gone for at least a day.

You can still go join another server, just not the one you died on. Might be problematic with the current overcrowding but might be interesting further down the line.

raphier

Banned
yeah. no. banditry is part of the game. and doing a ban will only turn people away because each server serves as a realm. If you ban a person from that realm, it will be hard to migrate and only leaves negative feelings on.

Also Rocket is going to implement some type of skill system which will not have anything to advance health or firepower, but something to encourage teamwork. What do you guys think of that? When you die, you start anew.

Ferrio

Banned
So I was thinking about possible issues with the game. Lack of incentives for players to invest in their characters and especially in player run communities on specific servers and how there are a lot of factors that would likely lead people to banditry and unrepentant player killing.

I think a severe but interesting feature could be 24 hour server bans when you die. Permadeaths are great and all, but it just strips players of loot. And with life expectancies being only a little above 4 hours its not that dramatic an occurrence. You die and respawn, no big deal. But if you die and cant log back into that particular server thats a big deal. Dying becomes all the more lethal, losing a member of your party becomes all the more great, being a bandit becomes all the more dangerous, for both sides.

As a bandit your PKing really disrupts the game, youre dropping players out of the game, but at the same time, if theres a really annoying bandit running around and you take him out, hes not just gonna respawn and start PKing you and others, he'll be gone for at least a day.

You can still go join another server, just not the one you died on. Might be problematic with the current overcrowding but might be interesting further down the line.

The interview sounded like eventually your player will level up and such. So losing them could mean quite a setback.

The M.O.B

My first time entering this foreign world. I traveled for over an hour without meeting anyone. I went into the countryside to make an attempt on finding ammo, guns, anything I could use. I visited a few houses and wasted all of my ammo fighting zombies. I was throwing flares down to mark my way despite knowing the consequences. Eventually I heard gunshots behind me where I had put down a flare only a few minutes ago and saw about 5-6 zombies piling into a house, more gunshots forced me to investigate and try and help. I made my way to the house and met a guy in a house.....Unfortunately the flare I had thrown earlier attracted the zombies to him I think and had caused him to run out of bullets.........a few seconds later one last zombie came.......Neither of us has a single bullet left.......I ran out.........My first friend...he stayed behind and died :(

Never even got his name...

Eventually I met another guy named Zee, I put down a flare and he saw me. We grouped up in an open field and decided to travel together. We decided to try and "sneak" past some zombies.............worst decision we made. We downed the initial bunch, but more kept coming. I was injured, with no ammo, and only had Zee to protect me. We went into a barn and crept past a zombie, but the zombie saw me. At this point we were at the top of the stairs, so in a last ditch effort I bolted out the door and told Zee to go the other way. In my haste I feel off the platform and broke my legs, I turned to see Zee sprinting out the other door.............Dead.

Welp, my the was a tad overly dramatic but an interesting night adventure for my first time. I had no clue where I was the whole time but it was neat. Going to start again in the morning and hopefully I can get some GAF buds.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
yeah. no. banditry is part of the game. and doing a ban will only turn people away because each server serves as a realm. If you ban a person from that realm, it will be hard to migrate and only leaves negative feelings on.

Also Rocket is going to implement some type of skill system which will not have anything to advance health or firepower, but something to encourage teamwork. What do you guys think of that? When you die, you start anew.

I have no issue with banditry, I think it's a great facet of the game. The server ban would be for everyone not just bandits, so it's not punishing you for any specific action, just dying. It just has the added bonus of preventing griefers. The idea is to add another layer of consequence to death because right now it's pretty insignificant.

And I am aware if future plans for skills and such, which would do well to increase attachment to characters, but it won't matter too much if the average life expectancy doesn't increase by a significant margin. 4 hours isn't very long. But even then I still think a temporary ban could be interesting.

You're supposed to be dead after all. Right now you still know who controls what areas, still the same time and weather. You could have allies around to help give you loot and give you a leg up. There's still a fair advantage despite just dying. But remove that familiarity and it's a whole new ball game.

I have no issue with banditry, I think it's a great facet of the game. The server ban would be for everyone not just bandits, so it's not punishing you for any specific action, just dying. It just has the added bonus of preventing griefers. The idea is to add another layer of consequence to death because right now it's pretty insignificant.

And I am aware if future plans for skills and such, which would do well to increase attachment to characters, but it won't matter too much if the average life expectancy doesn't increase by a significant margin. 4 hours isn't very long. But even then I still think a temporary ban could be interesting.

You're supposed to be dead after all. Right now you still know who controls what areas, still the same time and weather. You could have allies around to help give you loot and give you a leg up. There's still a fair advantage despite just dying. But remove that familiarity and it's a while new ball game.

I dunno man - death is pretty significant when you've made it all the way to the airfield and your group has outfitted themselves with all sorts of weapons/supplies. You don't last long with just the starting items. If there was a level up system in place then death would be even more punishing and that's as far as I'd go with it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
s and kept thinking how easy it’d be to shoot him and take his shit.

I just don't get it. Maybe if you had a team and just went looking to TK but as a random just spawning it seems a but unproductive. You need other players if only to watch your back and provide support. I guess I'm ol' fashioned and just don't/won't kill people on my "team." Though I do understand the appeal, it's almost like a shortcut.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I dunno man - death is pretty significant when you've made it all the way to the airfield and your group has outfitted themselves with all sorts of weapons/supplies. You don't last long with just the starting items. If there was a level up system in place then death would be even more punishing and that's as far as I'd go with it.

I can understand the feeling, I've been there a few times myself. I just like the severity of it, it fits the setting. The game is all about the atmosphere and experience, being desperate and vulnerable. And I think the temp ban would be a novel addition forcing players into unfamiliar servers after they die. You can't go back and loot your body, link up with friends. That worlds is dead cause you're dead. Well for a day, then you can go back to that server if you have any particular affinity for it.

Maybe 24 hours is a bit much, maybe just 2 would work better. Starting off on your own in unfamiliar territory with unfamiliar people. Then you can go back to the other server if you want.

The game runs fine for me on my old computer. Don't know why someone said that even a bad quad-core isn't enough. I have a E8400 at 3.2 Ghz and a GTX 275 and with everything set to Normal except for shadows set to high it runs pretty good. AA is set to low but I enabled FXAA in the control panel.

robin2

The game runs fine for me on my old computer. Don't know why someone said that even a bad quad-core isn't enough. I have a E8400 at 3.2 Ghz and a GTX 275 and with everything set to Normal except for shadows set to high it runs pretty good. AA is set to low but I enabled FXAA in the control panel.

I played arma 2 SP on a a C2Duo E6750 (2,6ghz dual core) + 8800GT 512 MB. This mod uses a low draw distance serve side too, so you should be fine even with a relatively weak system.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Perma death doesnt break anything. If anything I'd be worried about people glitching the system to avoid death or equipment loss.

Player addiction, I mean. It's like, dying in Demon's/Dark Souls isn't as big of a deal as it might be in other games, because the game is designed around it. It's still intense and annoying, but it's okay. Same goes for perma death here. You don't want it to happen, but the game seems to lend itself to the philosophy that if you die it's okay, and there's encouragement to keep playing despite starting from scratch.

They'll need to be careful they don't break that idea by making death more tedious and punishing than it needs to be. Like, hypothetically, if there was a levelling system/skills. It sounds good on paper, but what you'd end up with is a bunch of high levelled people aggressively defending their ranking, low level folk used as fodder, and every death goddamn annoying as all your work is undone.

Obviously there needs to be punishment and loss for death, but it seems DayZ's greatest strength is the unknown. It's a true sandbox experience: largely objectiveness beyond the need to survive. It makes every encounter with another player an unknown, unpredictable event. Throw too many rule sets, goals and traditional design in there and you'd see behaviour dilute down to what works best.

J-Rock

Banned

Agreed. I could see a simple level system being useful. Maybe a level up ranking, based on time alive, that only affects the physical aspects of the character. The longer you survive the stronger your character becomes physically. Subtle enough to not over power players though. Things like, needing less food/water, heal faster, or run a little faster.

Feature

Banned
I'd buy this right away if it wasn't for the horrible bugs and the 50(?) player limit on a server. This needs atleast 500 man server or something.

Enco

I'd buy this right away if it wasn't for the horrible bugs and the 50(?) player limit on a server. This needs atleast 500 man server or something.
Not sure if serious.

500 people would ruin it completely. Would turn into a non scary pvp game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There are some servers with 100+ people now anyway.

I hope past Alpha we see some new maps, though, as well as enemies.

Top Bottom