• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Baywatch

Neo Member
Lots of Seattle GAFfers, huh? We should all hit up Shorty's some night. I hate Belletown, but I'd go down just for that.

dekjo

Baywatch said:
Lots of Seattle GAFfers, huh? We should all hit up Shorty's some night. I hate Belletown, but I'd go down just for that.
I've only been once for a work function. Don't remember much about the place though. Only that it's close to Key Arena. Seems almost Eastlake/Queen Anne instead of Belltown.

RaoulDuke

OuterWorldVoice said:
I like Aloha Ramen on Greenwood better. Tiny, hardly any seating, but better, IMO than Samurai.

Boom Noodle has Tonkotsu ramen now and it is amazing! There is one in u-village and capital hill and another in bellevue square.

RaoulDuke said:
Boom Noodle has Tonkotsu ramen now and it is amazing! There is one in u-village and capital hill and another in bellevue square.

I went to the Boom Noodle in Capitol Hill when it first opened. Was a little too gimmicky for me.

Battlezone said:
I actually kinda like Seattle, but I would much rather live somewhere else than here.

I love it here. Best place I've ever lived, and I never want to leave.

Except to go on vacation to Hawaii in 2 weeks, so long suckers!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
RaoulDuke said:

Ugh. We went to Boom Noodle on New Years and it ranks as the worst meal I've had in the year that I've lived here.

Hard to believe anyone would recommend Dick's for general consumption, either. Decent shakes, but limp, flavorless fries and burgers that could be mistaken for McDonald's wiped across the face of a teenager.

platypotamus said:
I love it here. Best place I've ever lived, and I never want to leave.

Except to go on vacation to Hawaii in 2 weeks, so long suckers!
I have such a love-hate relationship with this city, and it almost entirely depends on the weather. I should not be wearing sweatshirts on the 4th of July. *grumble*

Cosmic Bus said:
Ugh. We went to Boom Noodle on New Years and it ranks as the worst meal I've had in the year that I've lived here.

Boom Noodle is crap, just like their sister-chain Blue C Sushi.

Hard to believe anyone would recommend Dick's for general consumption, either. Decent shakes, but limp, flavorless fries and burgers that could be mistaken for McDonald's wiped across the face of a teenager.

You go to Dick's at 1:30 am after you've been drinking with friends. Well, that's what I do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
I like Aloha Ramen on Greenwood better. Tiny, hardly any seating, but better, IMO than Samurai.

Gonna have to agree with you. Samurai was pretty good when they first started out, but the quality has dropped and they are a bit overpriced in my opinion.

I know the owners and staff at Aloha, so I might be biased, but I think their food is quite a bit better. It also helps that I live in North Seattle so Aloha is a lot closer.

There's also Fu Lin in the International District, which is a Chinese food restaurant, but also serves Japanese-style ramen. Unfortunately it can be really hit or miss. The owner worked in Japan a long time ago, and it's quite good when he prepares it, but sometimes it can be poorly prepared.

manofmandango said:
Any restaurant recommendations for non-vegetarians?

Everything I recommended in my first post.

Me! said:
As for restaurants, The Five Spot as previously mentioned is a great spot. My wife and I went there on our first date and when we got engaged. We used to live right by it up on Queen Anne Hill, so we've got fond memories. Other good places are Frank's Oyster Bar and Champaigne House in the U-District, Feirabend in Eastlake, Joule in Wallingford, How to Cook a Wolf on Queen Anne Hill, Steelhead Diner near the Market, and Smith and Quinn's, both in Capitol Hill. Samurai Noodle in the U-District and ID is probably the best ramen we have to offer. It's not as good as what you can get in Japan, but still delicious. Paseo has killer Cuban sandwiches, Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard has great Mexican, and La Isla in Ballard is good Puerto Rican.

distantmantra said:
Everything I recommended in my first post.
Thanks distantmantra! Sounds like there is quite the rivalry between ramen shops.

Hilbert - local places. I would like to avoid the tourist traps.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Battlezone said:
I have such a love-hate relationship with this city, and it almost entirely depends on the weather. I should not be wearing sweatshirts on the 4th of July. *grumble*

I do to. I miss it some days and wish I was still there. But at the same time I really disliked the city itself, found it ugly and gray. I didn't like most of the people and I found things to be overpriced.
I would consider living there again, but not unless my life was in a very different place.

I moved to Seattle from San Diego and I love this place. Given the difference in weather, that let's you know how great Seattle is.

For non vegetarians, I recommend as someone did before Paseo's in Ballard and Fremont, fiendishly good sandwiches. The scallop one is my favorite, but the pulled pork has quite a following too.

dekjo

Hilbert said:
Anything particular you are interested in?

I have become enamoured of Roro for BBQ.
I have yet to find good BBQ in Seattle. What is this place?

Edits: Found it on yelp. Will check it out.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
dekjo said:

Quick note: I am northwestern born and raised. I might not know what good authentic southern BBQ is.

distantmantra said:
You go to Dick's at 1:30 am after you've been drinking with friends. Well, that's what I do.

I thought that's what Beth's was for?

manofmandango said:
Any restaurant recommendations for non-vegetarians?

Podog has fantastic hot dogs. I've enjoyed all of Tom Douglas' restaurants that I've eaten at. La Carte De Oaxaca in Ballard is the best Mexican food I've had in my entire life. Skillet is awesome wherever they happen to be parked at the moment too.

Darth Pinche said:
For non vegetarians, I recommend as someone did before Paseo's in Ballard and Fremont, fiendishly good sandwiches. The scallop one is my favorite, but the pulled pork has quite a following too.

Them too.

dekjo said:

I've heard good things about Smokey Pete's in Ballard too, but I haven't been to either of these places yet.

My favorite barbecue in the city was Barbacoa on Queen Anne Hill. Unfortunately, they went out of business in 2006. Apparently there is a good place in West Seattle on California Ave.

platypotamus said:
I thought that's what Beth's was for?

Beth's is a sit down place. We want to head over to Dick's on 45th and then quickly get back to my house for more Rock Band and beer.

Besides, if I'm going for sit down drunk food in the middle of the night, I'm going to The Five Point.

red_mill.jpg

1613 West Dravus Street
Seattle, WA 98119-1720
(not the one pictured above, but still awesome)

Most satisfying burgers ever.

Lots of interesting recommendations, indeed. I've been in the Seattle area since September, but I haven't done anything or been anywhere, yet.

I'm usually in the suburban areas, but I've always wanted to make a thread like this, so thank you.

Do Red Mill's burgers really live up to the hype?

Necromanti said:
Do Red Mill's burgers really live up to the hype?
Actually tried them for the first time on Valentine's Day and I really, really enjoyed them. The prices are reasonable and the burgers are pretty big so you get what you pay for. Had the Bacon deluxe and it was awesome. Onion rings were good, too.

There's a bit of a wait though.

It's a great place to grab lunch at. Totally recommend it.

Baywatch

Neo Member
coldvein said:
food recs are getting me stoked. what's the deal with this Shorty's place?

It's a bar with a ridiculous amount of pinball machines. Pretty damn fun place to knock back some pints.

Pics:
l

l

l

Serious Pie is some of the best damn pizza I've ever had (when they don't burn the crust). Try the Buffalo Mozzarella - it's "just" cheese pizza, but it's magical.
edit - but expensive :(

Also enjoy DelFinos pizza in U-Village.

Mandarin Chef in the U-District (green onion pancakes!)

Mr. Villa in Lake City (the only decent non-"haute" Mexican place I've found in Seattle). If anyone else can recommend some decent Mex, I'd love to hear about it.

Out by Fry's in Renton there's a "5 Guys Burgers and Fries" - a chain, but new to the area. Tasty little burgers. Though be forewarned - I also enjoy Dick's (and their limp fries).

Roti in Queen Anne for Indian. Or Taste of India in U-Dist.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Banjo Tango said:
Mr. Villa in Lake City (the only decent non-"haute" Mexican place I've found in Seattle). If anyone else can recommend some decent Mex, I'd love to hear about it.

La Carta De Oaxaca. In Ballard. Not haute, but definitely a "scene" which basically means a long wait (made easier by excellent margaritas in the bar area) for family-style seating.

But world class food once you sit down.

Stinkles

Chichikov said:
The best noodles in Seattle, and some of the best I had in the US is Hue Ky Mi Gia.
Have the braised duck dry style.
You can thank me later.

p.s.
Boom Noodle is beyond crap.

I am going to defend Boom Noodle a bit. It's great if you have kids, or if you want a cocktail. Their japanese pancakes are pretty much authentic. If you must have their noodles, try the Kimchee Broth with the Tokyo ingredients and add some roasted garlic.

The chef is super responsive to suggestions from Ramen-otaku and if I am not mistaken, I think their broths are getting better.

But I'd still rather go to Aloha or Samurai. The greatest crime is that Aloha doesn't even have beer. Man needs beer with his Ramens.

Chichikov

To each his own.
I was not impressed, to say the least.

And you should REALLY check Hue Ky Mi Gia, trust me on that one.
It's fantastic.

Oh, and since we're on the subject of food, the best meals I had in Seattle were in The Corson Building.
Just a fantastic experience all around.
But the place is pricey.

Edit: I do agree with you on La Carta De Oaxaca, and I hate Mexican food.

OuterWorldVoice said:
La Carta De Oaxaca. In Ballard. Not haute, but definitely a "scene" which basically means a long wait (made easier by excellent margaritas in the bar area) for family-style seating.

But world class food once you sit down.
Cool, thanks!

Banjo Tango said:
Out by Fry's in Renton there's a "5 Guys Burgers and Fries" - a chain, but new to the area. Tasty little burgers. Though be forewarned - I also enjoy Dick's (and their limp fries).

There's a Five Guys in Seattle. It's located in the Thornton Place building in Northgate.

Roti in Queen Anne for Indian. Or Taste of India in U-Dist.

I love Roti. The people who own Taste of India also own Cedar's on 50th in the U-District. Chili's Indian Deli on the Ave also has great food, even if the store itself looks incredibly run down.

OuterWorldVoice said:
But I'd still rather go to Aloha or Samurai. The greatest crime is that Aloha doesn't even have beer. Man needs beer with his Ramens.

Wife and I had dinner at Samurai in the U-district last night, just about a mile walk from our house. Spicy miso ramen, karaage, croquette and a couple a Sapporos. Good times.

dekjo

Banjo Tango said:
Yeah, the two things I can't find in the Seattle area is good Mexican food and good BBQ. I'll try Roro that was mentioned earlier in the thread to see if it's good - probably this weekend - but if I want good Mex, I have to make it myself.

dekjo said:
Yeah, the two things I can't find in the Seattle area is good Mexican food and good BBQ. I'll try Roro that was mentioned earlier in the thread to see if it's good - probably this weekend - but if I want good Mex, I have to make it myself.

La Carta De Oaxaca in Ballard. A few of us have consistently recommended it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Can somebody suggest anything interesting to do or see around Alki beach? We may head down that way today, but I don't want the drive to be solely for Bakery Nouveau. While I would be okay with that, I'm not sure my friends are.

Cosmic Bus said:
Can somebody suggest anything interesting to do or see around Alki beach? We may head down that way today, but I don't want the drive to be solely for Bakery Nouveau. While I would be okay with that, I'm not sure my friends are.

Bowl of chowder at Duke's?

Macam

Banned
For anyone in town and looking for excellent vegetarian food, I can't recommend Cafe Flora enough, especially for breakfast.

dekjo

distantmantra said:
La Carta De Oaxaca in Ballard. A few of us have consistently recommended it.
Yeah, I've seen it. Just haven't tried it. Though it's been added to my list.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
dekjo said:

I am mexican. You can find a lot of good taco trucks, there is a chain called Riconsito that is really good, and La Carta is good, just a bit of a wait. As a mexican I am never desperate for good mexican food around here, it's not as good as southern california, but it is good enough for me.

Edit: I used to go to a small mexican supermarket every saturday when they would offer homemade tamales. Sometimes you have to be in the know on where to get this stuff.

Stinkles

Hilbert said:
I am mexican. You can find a lot of good taco trucks, there is a chain called Riconsito that is really good, and La Carta is good, just a bit of a wait. As a mexican I am never desperate for good mexican food around here, it's not as good as southern california, but it is good enough for me.

Edit: I used to go to a small mexican supermarket every saturday when they would offer homemade tamales. Sometimes you have to be in the know on where to get this stuff.

For Taco trucks, try Bravo on 45th Street, next to Dick's. Good, hearty stuff. Nice people.

Seattle GAFer here, born and raised.

There are so many great places to eat, you can't go wrong.. many of the recommendations here I'd second, I'd also add:

Joey on Lake Union - Seared Ahi Tuna Tacos, best appetizer in the world.. great sandwiches, the most flavorful fish tacos I've ever had (not the best overall, that'd have to go to some of the places I've eaten at in Hawaii) and the bar area is basically a fancy Hooters with chicks in short black mini-skirts instead of orange redneck outfits. Don't be fooled by this place being a trendy nightspot, the food is GREAT.. created by Chris Mills who is a fairly famous chef from Vancouver, BC, CA.
http://www.joeyrestaurants.com/location/lake-union

Tawon Thai in Fremont - Seriously not sure how more Seattlites don't know about this place.. there are a million REALLY GOOD Thai restaurants in Seattle, this is the best IMO. Great service, cool place, and amazing food.
http://www.tawonthai.com/

Bengal Tiger, 65th and Roosevelt - Best Indian in Seattle IMO.. I've tried them all.. they are the most consistent and delicious..and the owner Mohamed is extremely friendly and a gracious host.
http://www.bengaltigerwa.com/bgindex.html

Pomodoro, Eastlake - AMAZING food for a great deal here.. this is a not well known hole in the wall, even has it's own parking (rare).. the chef is a 5 star chef from Spain who cooks spanish inspired Italian cuisine. Would be great for a vegetarian IMO.. their Hummus Ravioli appetizer is incredible.. hell I come just for the bread and the avocado/cilantro spread they serve with it.
http://www.pomodoro.net/

Mashiko - There are a lot of great sushi places in Seattle where you can get great fresh fish.. even places not mentioned on the "top lists" you can't go wrong with. Mashiko is the most "different" so I recommend it to travelers. They take the "sustainable" stuff to a dorky pretentious level, but they also have some awesome unique rolls. Highly recommend, although West Seattle can be tough for parking and whatnot.. and isn't really my favorite neighborhood overall.. still recommend.
http://sushiwhore.com/

Piecora's Pizza, Capital Hill - I LOVE me some Pagliaccis.. and Pag's delivers.. so they are my overall favorite.. but I always stop by Piecora's any chance I can get.. I've been to NYC many times and Piecora's does the best job of capturing NY style pizza. You can argue with me all day about the water in NYC and how it makes the dough better, Piecora's is as good or better than the famous NYC pizzaeria's I've toured.
http://www.piecoras.com/

distantmantra said:
I live just a couple blocks from Bengal, and it is really good, but I still prefer the Lamb Vindaloo at Roti.

I'll have to give that a try. I've eaten at Roti but I don't believe I had lamb there.. had a spinach dish I believe.

At Bengal I love some of their classics like chicken tika/tika masala.. but their coconut walla and mango walla are my favorites. LOVE their Samosa as well, usually get the veggie samosa... they serve it with a spicy slaw that goes amazing with some mint chutney.. that + fish mango walla (whatever white fish is in season they'll use) is excellent.

There's very little separating the better ethnic places in Seattle IMO, just specific dishes one will do better than the other.

That is a great intersection to live near BTW.. I actually like the Jalisco up the street, Tokyo Sushi, and Royal Palm Thai can be OK.

dLMN8R

I really don't get the hate for Blue C Sushi and Boom Noodle around here. I've had a lot of sushi everywhere on the East Side, in downtown, and elsewhere. Everything from the crappiest, cheapest sushi around, to sushi meals that cost upwards of $50 per person when all is said and done.

Blue C Sushi isn't the best place around, but they're hardly "crap". They're constantly making fresh dishes, stuff doesn't stay on the conveyor belt forever, and you can order whatever you want and get it quickly if you don't like what's on the belt.

What's on the belt though is often perfectly fine though. Whether it's a piece of ngiri, or a roll, or whatever else, I've never been disappointed especially considering the pretty low price of it all.

I've only been to Boom Noodle a couple of times, but some of their appetizers are just freaking great. Their Salt and Pepper Tofu is amazing, and I've had a couple of their noodle dishes which were also fantastic. My fiancee has celiacs and their well-marked (and delicious) gluten free food is also extremely handy.

SHAZOOM

I go to Kona Kitchen/Yuji's Lounge for my Hawaiin fixes. Its a bit off of 80th and a bit south of Northgate Mall. Karaoke nights are ... interesting.

Chichikov

If you're looking for a good Japanese restaurant you should really check out Maneki.

There are places with better sushi in Seattle, but I don't think that there is a better Japanese restaurant.

It's also would've been Seattle's longest running restaurant (opened in 1904) if it wasn't for the internment camps in WWII.

As for Blue C Sushi, well, it's a chain of conveyor belt sushi places, and the quality is you would expect from an establishment like that.

Top Bottom