• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Thread: Plus What? PLUS EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvm

Gamasutra.
iot48CqfMboWf.png

us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus ▬ blog.us.playstation.com/tag/playstation-plus

uk.playstation.com/playstationplus ▬ blog.eu.playstation.com/tag/playstation-plus

What is it?

Members have access to:

• dozens of free games (for PS3 and Vita!)
• early access to games
• exclusives betas & demos
• free themes & avatars
• all kinds of discounts
• 1 GB online storage for PS3-saves (including copy-protected ones)
• another 1 GB online storage for Vita-saves
• automatic (scheduled) downloads of patches & updates
• automatic (scheduled) trophy synching​

What does it cost?

$49.99 | €49.99 | £39.99 --> 1 year
$14.99 | €14.99 | £11.99 --> 3 months​

Free games?

Yes. Full games, 100% free to play, complete with online modes and trophies to earn.​

How many free games?

In both Europe and North America, new members have access to a package of at least 14 games (10 PS3, 4 Vita).
Every month, a handful games are replaced with new ones.
At the end of a year, you can have over 50 games if you got them all.​

How long do I have access to these games?

Each game is only free to "claim" for a limited time. It varies from game to game, usually between 1 month and 3 months. A couple games are available the whole year.
However, once a game is in your download history ("Downloadlist" on the Store), it is free to play and re-download for as a long as you're a Plus-member.

To get a game in the download history, you don't even have to actually download it. Just add the game(s) to your cart and check out (on web store) or start the download and then cancel (on PS3 or PSV). You do not need to complete a download them at that time.
This is very useful for when your hard drive is full. Double check your download list to ensure the items you wanted are listed there.

Also, don't forget you can claim items through the web store if it is available in your region: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

Can I keep playing my games if I stop being a Plus-member?

Free games: no.
But if you re-register, you do regain access to your complete download history.

Bought games: yes.
Anything you spend additional money on, on top of your subscription, is yours to keep. This includes games bought with Plus-exclusive discounts.​

---additional questions----------------------------------------------------

Do I need to use my PS3 or PS Vita to access the store and claim my goods?

No, you can use the web store if it is available in your region: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

Do I have to download the game to own it?

No, you can use the web store (see previous question) and just add the free items to your cart and then checkout. If you complete the checkout, you have added those items to your account and can download at a later time.

If you are using a PS3 or PSV, you can select download on the free item (there is no add to cart/check out on these systems) and then once the license has activated and your download has begun, you can then cancel the download. Just to be sure you have acquired the license, you can always double check your download list to make sure the items you wanted are listed there.​

Do I even have to own a PS3, PSV, or PS4 to take advantage of PS+?

No, you can just subscribe and use the web store to add games to your account. The system at this time does not seem to know or care whether you have any hardware systems attached to your account.​

When does my subscription end? How do I cancel automatic renewal?

In the PS3-menu go to the PlayStation Network tab, there:
Account Management --> Transaction Management --> Services List --> PlayStation Plus​

What are "full game trials"?

Full game trials are exclusive to Plus-members and are full games you can play for 1 hour.
Trophies can be earned, but you won't be able to sync them until you've bought the game.​

Why can't I download this game? I've got the hard disk space!

You need twice the game's size to download and install it. So if the game is 10GB, then you need 20GB on your hard drive to hold both the 10GB installer and the 10GB installed version.​

A special thanks to Goldrusher for contributing the majority of the updated OP. Also thanks to the PS+ thread denizens for helping with updated information and answering questions for new (and old) PS+ subscribers.

Irish

I was happy with it the first month, but it seems like a waste now that they've gone biweekly. :( (I liked my weekly minis.)

expy

Banned
jvm said:
What do you get with a subscription?
All PlayStation Plus plans offer the following features, explained in further detail below:
  • 60-minute full game trial
  • Automatic downloads
  • Select PlayStation Store discounts
  • Exclusive PlayStation Store offers
  • Select free games, DLC, themes, and avatars
  • Early access to select demos
  • Priority for invitations for select beta programs
  • A + sign next to your name on your friendslist
Fixed =)

Chris R

Only had to pay $25ish for the full year, and I'm enjoying it so far. But then again I didn't own Wipeout, Critter Crunch, any of the minis, ect so the value has been there where it might be lacking for others.

kassatsu

Banned
Japanese PSN+ for 8/18

Free Games -- Siren New Translation Episodes 1-4 (PS3)
Game Trials -- Shiki-ten (PS3), Numblast (PS3), Snakeball (PS3)
Discounted games -- Elefunk (¥400 - PS3), Bealphareth (¥300 - PSone) Jet Moto (¥300 - PSone)
Free avatars -- Shiki-ten (x4)

This cleared up some of my misunderstandings about the service. Thanks.

Without definite knowledge of what the freebies are going to be, I just can't justify giving them the cash right now. I look forward to seeing how the service evolves though.

Loudninja

You sure we wont be able to keep DLC?
Posted on 24 June, 2010 at 12:54 pm by James Thorpe

Hi, sorry for the cofusion. All the DLC (e.g. Killzone DLC, etc) we are currently offering is not tied to the subscription and you will keep it forever. This will always be the case unless stated otherwise in the description of the content on the store.
The reference in the T’s & C’s refers to a situation where we may, in the future, offer additional ‘Premium game elements’ and these may be linked to your subscrition.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/23/playstation-plus-explained/comment-page-2/#comments

kassatsu said:
Japanese PSN+ for 8/18

Free Games -- Siren New Translation Episodes 1-4 (PS3)
Game Trials -- Shiki-ten (PS3), Numblast (PS3), Snakeball (PS3)
Discounted games -- Elefunk (¥400 - PS3), Bealphareth (¥300 - PSone) Jet Moto (¥300 - PSone)
Free avatars -- Shiki-ten (x4)
Holy crap Siren? That game is $40 still is it not? I wish we could get that in NA.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
criesofthepast said:
Holy crap Siren? That game is $40 still is it not? I wish we could get that in NA.

Nah that's just the first four episodes which are like 10ish dollars I think? Something around that.

Ermac said:
Nah that's just the first four episodes which are like 10ish dollars I think? Something around that.
Oh right. It has 12 episodes in total. I think it's a $14.99 value for the 4 episodes. I'd still love to have Siren as a free game. Always been meaning to get it. Needs to drop in price.

androvsky

LiquidMetal14 said:
Sam and Max next month? All of it free?

Holy crap. It says the full season, but it's hard to believe. I paid $25 iirc, and that was with the pre-order discount. That's a hell of a deal if true.

And I hope it means we get some more back catalog of Telltale's games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll subscribe one of these days, I'm just waiting for them to offer a free game that I want but don't own. Wipeout HD and Critter Crunch just happen to be my two favorite and most played games on PSN. I guess that's the downside to owning almost all of the awesome games on PSN. It'll help if they offer a hour trial for a retail game I don't own, but again I've played almost everything I could be interested in.

Still, it'll be worth it for the discounts, I'll probably save money over time. Exclusive access to betas is definitely one thing that would be guaranteed to sway me as well.

Nice thread, though, we needed one.

Beth Cyra

I'll get plus if they ever offer up a decent game to go with it in the future like they did LBP for Euro at launch. Other wise I think I am just fine with out it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks guys. I tried to get everything into the region lists that I could figure out, esp. with help from the posts kass made.

Looks like the US gets discounts out the freaking wazoo. I don't have them all listed. :O

Also, I couldn't find a definitive answer on whether Canada has access to PS+. Anyone?

jvm

Gamasutra.
SuperSonic1305 said:
Yes. I have PS+ and it's exactly the same as the US list.
Beautiful. Thanks.

Edit: Just to follow up, are prices the same, both for the discounts and the subscriptions? (That is, they're using USD$1 = CAD$1, right?)

jvm

Gamasutra.
FunkyPajamas said:
So Qore isn't part of the PSN deal? I was hoping the plus subscription would include the yearly Qore subs as well.
It appears to include a free monthly download. As far as I can tell this is different from a subscription only in name, not in practice.

Well I guess it could be worth it for new ps3 owners, but it's mostly old crap. :lol
I would only be interested if I could download new DLC and new PSN games at reduced price.

jiggles

Banned
SolidusDave said:
I'm pretty sure you keep the "free" DLC.
Yeah, there's no real DRM on DLC on PS3. Gameshared DLC works even after you deactivate the account on your PS3 (meaning you could share your DLC with thousands of people at once if you were so inclined). It's the stupidest shit ever.

hiro4

Great topic.

But I'm missing WipeOut HD at the EU section.
I'm positive that was the first free game, (besides LBP if you bought the year sub).

Hanmik

Good job on the OP.

One little thing. For automatic Download to Work, you have to make your PS3 remember your login and Password. This is bad if you do not like other persons in your family (or friends) playing with your user.
You also need to leave your PS3 on standby. This is not so good for people who care about electricity bills or the environment.
Ohh and when you activate Automatic Download, you have to choose 2 hours daily for the PS3 to check for automatic downloadable stuff.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hang on a sec...

If you subscribe, say, in August, you have to download your free stuff in that month, or it will 'expire' and not be available to download for you the next month?

In other words, say I started my subscription in August. In November I wouldn't be able to go back and download stuff from August?

darkwing

gofreak said:
Hang on a sec...

If you subscribe, say, in August, you have to download your free stuff in that month, or it will 'expire' and not be available to download for you the next month?

In other words, say I started my subscription in August. In November I wouldn't be able to go back and download stuff from August?
yes the stuff is only offered for that month thats why you download it all so it will be on your download list

gofreak said:
Hang on a sec...

Correct.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
darkwing said:
yes the stuff is only offered for that month thats why you download it all so it will be on your download list

Thanks. Trust Sony to make something more complicated than it should be :lol Stuff being on your download list is as good as being up on the store for you, so why they don't just leave it there for the duration of your sub...

DonMigs85

jigglywiggly said:
Yeah, there's no real DRM on DLC on PS3. Gameshared DLC works even after you deactivate the account on your PS3 (meaning you could share your DLC with thousands of people at once if you were so inclined). It's the stupidest shit ever.
I did not know that. So this applies even to Fallout 3 and such, which have a big "DLC" file installed separately from the main game data? I know RE5, COD, Wipeout etc just integrate with the existing installed data.

jiggles

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
I did not know that. So this applies even to Fallout 3 and such, which have a big "DLC" file installed separately from the main game data? I know RE5, COD, Wipeout etc just integrate with the existing installed data.

I'm think it still applies, yeah. I'm almost certain Rock Band's song packs work, and they're housed in a seperate game data file from the main game.

MrPliskin

Banned
gofreak said:
Thanks. Trust Sony to make something more complicated than it should be :lol Stuff being on your download list is as good as being up on the store for you, so why they don't just leave it there for the duration of your sub...
It does stay in your download list.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I thought I had this clear enough, but I'll have to work on it:

You have a window of opportunity during which time you can add a free game to your download list by purchasing it (for $0.00, e.g.) from the store.

If you don't purchase it in this way during your window of opportunity, then you will not have gotten the game for free through PS+. It won't be in your download list.

If you do purchase it in the proper way (just go through the motions in the store, get it added to your download list) then it will always be in your download list. You can always download it, regardless of your subscription status, I believe.

But, if your subscription lapses, you can download but not play the game. Renewing your subscription will allow you to play the game.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, so free or discounted DLC does not go away when your subscription lapses. I edited the OP to reflect this.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom