• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

Ryaaan14

Banned
I have a hard time understanding why a power brick would be relevant to anyone. Unless you lived in an apartment which was 12"x12" in which I could understand.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If it doesn't have a power supply and the picture shows no visible internal power supply:

1. Internals are missing something in that tear down
2. It is truly magic

Parch

Jesus christ. GAF is like a fucking middle school today spreading rumors with total disregard. That's a table full of PROTOTYPES.
You surprised? Somebody speculates about some BS crap that comes to mind and the next 5 pages are people talking/whining about it.

This isn't totally GAF's fault. There's been a shitstorm of misinformation and failure by MS/Gaming press to actually confirm these reports. Between this and the used games report, who the hell knows what's going on?

That's my point. People need to stop speaking in absolutes until we know what's what. It only adds to the confusion

Juancho9 said:
Nope. IT HAS A POWERBRICK. lolz

Never said it didn't. I said that image is a table full of prototypes.

Oppo

Guys. If it had an internal PSU, a) we'd see it in that Wired pic, and b) the back plug would be your standard 3-prong deal. You know, like every PC. Or the PS3. It clearly has a proprietary plug. The brick needs to power both the console and the Kinect sensor.

madmackem

Im just waiting for the, hold on theres more, kinect has its own power brick posts. This thing is fucking huge and has a huge kinect and now we find out it has a power brick to go along with it.

iMax

Here's a better shot of the external power brick from this video.

screenshot2013-05-21a79skj.png

I don't get the hate for power brick. I mean of course it would be better if there wasn't one but doesn't it help a lot with the cooling to have one outside of the box? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically is there any other negatives than the looks?

I don't get the hate for power brick. I mean of course it would be better if there wasn't one but doesn't it help a lot with the cooling to have one outside of the box? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically is there any other negatives than the looks?

we have to build another shelf for the brick.

dc89

Holy shit! I was saying during the conference I'm dreading the power brick. I hoped it would be inside, but no. Jeez.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The 360 power brick was super picky. It wouldn't work in a power strip, only directly to the wall. Hope that's not the case again.

Huh? Mine is plugged into a power strip, and my 360 works just fine. Nothing's burned down yet, either.

Is there anything new about this topic? I'm very curious and debating whether is better to have external or internal.

External is better if you want to avoid cooling issues and also PSU is what normally fries with electronics and replacing will be a breeze.

Internal will just be less cable clutter.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Thew woman says "Xbox snap live TV" and the video in the corner was a super stutter fest. I hope they work on that.

At 1:45 in the hardware video you can clearly see the top right "ruffles" has a circle cut out to match the fan size, so the ugly ridges are not for looks, they are masking part of the cooling.

ShamePain

Banned
And PS4 will probably have a built-in one, and a smaller sized box as well, just like it is right now with PS3 Slim and Xbox S. Nanomachines.

dorkimoe

I have a hard time understanding why a power brick would be relevant to anyone. Unless you lived in an apartment which was 12"x12" in which I could understand.

this. Most people have entertainment stands..put it in the back and get over it.. lol ridiculous

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So wait, now there is a power brick -even though we've had it said officially that there isn't- just because you saw a rectangular prism in a lineup of design concepts?

I guess that's one way of looking at it.

Alx

Is there anything new about this topic? I'm very curious and debating whether is better to have external or internal.

External is better if you want to avoid cooling issues and also PSU is what normally fries with electronics and replacing will be a breeze.

Internal will just be less cable clutter.

Powerbricks are ugly, but in the end not much of an annoyance. I have them piled up with the rest of the cable mess behind my TV cabinet, and forget about them until the next time I have to plug/unplug something from there.

Top Bottom