• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Showdown Championships 2012 | Fighting game tournament | April 6-8

USD

STREAM

Two streams were planned for the event, but currently there has been only one channel streaming. Stream has been up-and-down, however:

http://www.twitch.tv/shinkensou
http://www.twitch.tv/planetzero (Original primary stream channel, offline)

INFO

For more information, check the SRK thread.

We are proud to present the 12th installment of the Showdown tournament series. This year we are pleased to be a part of the Road to Evo series.

Date: April 6-8. 2012
Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
1601 Lake Robbins Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77380
1-281-367-9797

SPONSORS
Planet Zero
ASUS
Kensou's Laboratory
Insomnia
Monsters Arcade
Quantic Gaming
Directron.com

GAMES

Arcana Heart 3 (PS3)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND (PS3)
The King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
Skullgirls (PS3)
SoulCalibur V (PS3)
Street Fighter X Tekken (360)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (ARC)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (ARC)
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (ARC)
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Ver.2012 (360)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360)

PLAYERS

Justin Wong was scheduled to attend, but missed his flight due to going to the wrong airport.

You can find (un-updated) pool assisgnments here.

BrolyLegs
EX Jermaine
FourWude
Fubarduck
Happy Medicine
Hsien Chang
Jan
Jewelman
John Choi
Kid Viper
Kineda
KOR
Mihe
Mike Ross
NGG Stone
Quantic Kensou
Ranmasama
Ricky Ortiz
St1ckBuG
TWG Arthur

BRACKETS

AH3 Bracket
BB:CSE Bracket
KOF XII Bracket
MB:AACC Bracket
MK Bracket
Skullgirls Bracket
SCV Bracket
SSFIIT Bracket
SSFIV AE Bracket
SFXTK Bracket
UMvC3 Bracket

SCHEDULE

All times are CDT (UTC -5)

FRIDAY

09:00am - Badge pickup & purchase at the venue
10:00am – Last minute registration
12:00pm – Pool 1 starts
01:30pm – Pool 2 starts
03:00pm – Pool 3 starts
04:30pm – Pool 4 starts
06:00pm – Pool 5 starts
07:30pm – Pool 6 starts
09:00pm – Pool 7 starts
10:30pm – Pool 8 starts
01:00am - Mystery Fighter Theater 9000

SATURDAY

10:00am – Semi-Finals for SFXTK & MK
11:30am – Puzzle Fighter & Melty Blood
12:00pm – Semi-Finals for BlazBlue: CS EXTEND
01:00pm – Semi-Finals for UMvC3
01:30pm - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
02:00pm – Semi-Finals for SoulCalibur v
02:30pm – Arcana Heart 3
03:00pm – Skullgirls
04:00pm – Semi-Finals for SSFIV AE 2012 & KOF XIII
05:30pm – Tournament of Legends ST Qualifier
08:00pm – Main Events
10:00pm – Grand Finals SCV
11:00pm – Exhibition matches – TBH

SUNDAY

10:00am – Grand Finals MK
11:00am – Grand Finals BB:CSE
12:00pm – Grand Finals KOF XII
01:00pm – Grand Finals SFXTK
02:00pm – Grand Finals UMvC3
03:00pm – Grand Finals SSFIV AE 2012

USD

There was already some controversy regarding the tournament. Many players are wary of Planet Zero because of its sketchy reputation. The pool assignments posted on Facebook showed that some players from PZ's weekly ranbats were given seeding into the semi-final round.

Some in the comments sections questioned this seeding:

The fact that local players are getting bye's into semis and don't have to play in pools is ridiculous. Stop the preferential treatment PZ, you're supposed to be changing your image, not keeping up with the status quo. Adeel, Jermaine, Kensou, Stone, kris 134, and the rest need to be in pools just like everyone else.

Texas Showdown Championships said:
PZ is our main sponsor, we used the weeklies there as our main advertisement. Everybody was welcome to come and participate. How is it different from Big 2 or WNF(before they lost them) having Evo points for their winners? This was approved by SRK/Evo staff as well.

But then EVO stepped in:

Tom Cannon said:
I don't recall approving this. Please send me email.

Later:

Texas Showdown Championships said:
Ok, there was a miscommunication when things were originally discussed. The seeded players are no longer being advanced to the semis and being added to pools.

Pools are yet to be fully updated however.

Malajax

I'll be there this Saturday, but I won't be competing. Hope to get my hands on Skullgirls and meet some new people.

jbug617

Banned
Apparently Justin Wong missed his flight to attend Texas Showdown and to re-book the flight they want $700 so he will no longer attend.

There was already some controversy regarding the tournament. Many players are wary of Planet Zero because of its sketchy reputation.

Some in the comments sections questioned this seeding:

"The fact that local players are getting bye's into semis and don't have to play in pools is ridiculous. Stop the preferential treatment PZ, you're supposed to be changing your image, not keeping up with the status quo. Adeel, Jermaine, Kensou, Stone, kris 134, and the rest need to be in pools just like everyone else."

Haha...you're eyes definitely reach far USD. That was me you quoted lol. I tried to resolve it with the parties involved at first, but that didn't work out so I had to go directly to the Cannons. I knew there'd be backlash after the fact so I just made sure to nip it in the butt. I care a lot about the Tx community, and I don't think anymore negative press is what's needed. I truly hope the tourney is a success and things start picking up for Tx again.

I'll be rooting for FourWude, good luck man!

where's Farms and rbrouge?

I decided not to go to this tournament for various reasons. I'm pulling for all my Tx boys for sure though, we definitely have the talent to put these out of towners on notice.

John Fucking Choi in Texas? My god I'M IN THERE!

LOL at Planet Shady getting fucked by EVO. I love how every year they make something up and with half ass reasoning.

USD

Haha...you're eyes definitely reach far USD. That was me you quoted lol. I tried to resolve it with the parties involved at first, but that didn't work out so I had to go directly to the Cannons. I knew there'd be backlash after the fact so I just made sure to nip it in the butt. I care a lot about the Tx community, and I don't think anymore negative press is what's needed. I truly hope the tourney is a success and things start picking up for Tx again.
Haha, I deleted the name because I didn't want to blow up someone's name, even if Facebook is public, but had I actually read it, I would have realized that.

Ravidrath

Even though the game isn't out yet, there will be an officially-sponsored Skullgirls tournament on Saturday at 3 PM.

Since the game isn't out yet, the tournament will be free to enter. Autumn Games is giving out a (really swank), one-of-a-kind FoeHammer dual-mod fight stick, and providing a prize pot of $500.

7044015317_ea80cb4a54.jpg

More pics of the stick here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/revergelabs/sets/72157629375346366/

Even though the game isn't out yet, there will be an officially-sponsored Skullgirls tournament on Saturday at 3 PM.

Since the game isn't out yet, the tournament will be free to enter. Autumn Games is giving out a (really swank), one-of-a-kind FoeHammer dual-mod fight stick, and providing a prize pot of $500.

7044015317_ea80cb4a54.jpg

More pics of the stick here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/revergelabs/sets/72157629375346366/

I'm not familiar with FoeHammer sticks. Are they easy to swap out the artwork so it doesn't have Skullgirls on it?

impact

Banned
I don't even have a 360 anymore but its just nice to have just incase. Plus the eightarcs are much better looking and comfortable than TEs and HORIs.

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
Before I start, I want to make a brief comment on the pool situation. We only rolled with it because we had gotten approval by "someone" on SRK (I don't want to name him). There was legitimate miscommunication on the matter between him and the Cannons, and us as a result. That's all I wanted to say about it, and won't say more. We rectified the situation and we are competing in the pools. PZ meant no harm and didn't try to do anything without approval from the appropiate staff of SRK.

The pools have been updated, and these are the most current pools:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/texa...ments-for-texas-showdown-2012/359878334058045

If the link doesn't work, let me know.

Mike Ross contacted me and should be arriving around noon CST. Tune into the stream when we go live and enjoy the show!

Dahbomb

Very unstacked pools overall for Marvel except for Pool 8. Mihe, Zeus, Ramnasama (sp?) and Danke all in it together.

My hype levels aren't terribly high for this tournament but there is possibility for some very interesting Marvel play as it's not the usual suspects from EC/WC that are playing. Mihe and Stone are the favorites to win this IMO which means that this could finally be an Ultimate tournament where Zero wins something or at least get into top 3 lulz.

I don't know if Poltergust is coming or not, he won of their locals here using a Phoenix Wright team. He is one of the few legit PW players in the US so hopefully he is playing there (didn't see him on the bracket).

Dambrosi

Banned
The main stream was apparently never even started, but the secondary KOF/MK9/BB/SCV stream was active earlier, up until said power outage fried ShinKensou's rig.

Sucks for all of us out here, but here's hoping they sort it out for tomorrow's show.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Man, did the government declare it Stream Disappointment Day or something, what the fuck?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So why is nobody watching this? Or even trying to watch, cause if this shit was an EC/WC major there would be a ton of posts complaining that there's no stream or they've fucked up but it's halfway through the day and there's only a few recent posts. Good Friday or does Planet Zero really have that bad of a reputation?

So why is nobody watching this? Or even trying to watch, cause if this shit was an EC/WC major there would be a ton of posts complaining that there's no stream or they've fucked up but it's halfway through the day and there's only a few recent posts. Good Friday or does Planet Zero really have that bad of a reputation?

Looks like a pretty tame tournament. Not a lot of heavy hitters. I'll pretty much be watching IPL4 over the weekend.

Maybe I'll pop in for a little Marvel here and there.

Honestly, it's not planet zero's fault at all why streams aren't up. I'm here atm and there were power outages multiple times so they just decided to turn off computers. The stream is probably up now, when I left it seemed as if they were trying to set it back up.

Fubarduck is lookong really solid, talked with him for a bit. Cool cool guy.

Earlier when they were having the power outage issue some ppl yelled call spooky :lol

USD

Honestly, it's not planet zero's fault at all why streams aren't up. I'm here atm and there were power outages multiple times so they just decided to turn off computers. The stream is probably up now, when I left it seemed as if they were trying to set it back up.

Fubarduck is lookong really solid, talked with him for a bit. Cool cool guy.
Yeah, Kensou's stream is up, haven't seen any activity from the Planet Zero one yet.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Before I start, I want to make a brief comment on the pool situation. We only rolled with it because we had gotten approval by "someone" on SRK (I don't want to name him). There was legitimate miscommunication on the matter between him and the Cannons, and us as a result. That's all I wanted to say about it, and won't say more. We rectified the situation and we are competing in the pools. PZ meant no harm and didn't try to do anything without approval from the appropiate staff of SRK.
I really can't imagine what kind of reasoning led anyone over there to believe that handing out multiple byes to local players was okay under any circumstance. Even if you're telling the truth, the mental gymnastics you'd have to pull to justify the idea in the first place are just silly.

Haunted

For me, it's a combination of IPL going on at the same time and the player lineup looking pretty lacking. Then I wanted to check it out just now and one stream is down while the other is choppy as fuck.

So yeah. Someone update this thread when the stream is running well and commentators (Mike Ross!) are there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For me, it's a combination of IPL going on at the same time and the player lineup looking pretty lacking. Then I wanted to check it out just now and one stream is down while the other is choppy as fuck.

So yeah. Someone update this thread when the stream is running well and commentators (Mike Ross!) are there.
Anyone know the big Marvel names there not listed in OP?

I mean.. if you wanna watch Marvel this (theoretical) stream doesn't seem like it will be very entertaining.

Lacking player line up, non functioning streams... not hard to figure out why there isn't any buzz around this.

Will check it out tomorrow once they get their setup in check.

Junie12

Wow I didn't even knew there was a tournament going on this weekend :lol

But yeah I'm a skip this since I'm going to be playing Xenoblade all weekend.

Top Bottom