• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

Theorry

Is this according to devs or someone that beat it? I already clocked in around 20 hours I believe, and I'm pretty sure I'm about halfway through the game. To be fair, there have been instances of me not knowing where to go.

Devs and some people here and streamers. Its average offcourse. maybe some will beat it in 15 and others will go to 40.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone give me a breakdown of the combat mechanics? I've been playing for about 10 hours, and I still have a lot of questions:

When do you use horizontal attacks and when do you use vertical attacks? How can you decide if you want a stabbing, cutting, slashing or bashing weapon?

Meantime

Does the camera bob up and down when your character runs like it did in Lord of the Fallen? I had to stop playing because it made me nauseous.

MilkBeard

The dev playthrough is looking pretty good. Combat looks good, and I like how there are people around the areas who need help. Gives the game its own feel. Animations are great.

How long was your first run? And would you review it well? 7,8,9/10?

I'd like to know this too.

It feel like 30 hours for me but I just look into my save file and it said 79 hours. Also, I'll give this game 9/10.

GfxAJ62.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It feel like 30 hours for me but I just look into my save file and it said 79 hours. Also, I'll give this game 9/10.

GfxAJ62.jpg

This is obviously a YMMV thing but damn that is several times what I was expecting. Even if it was a quarter of that for me that would be 20 hours and I'd be more than fine with that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
From TB his vid.

untitled88zob.png

Could probably post this in the OP so people have an idea of the options available. I especially love how there are several different tiers for the occurrence of the slow mo movie mode of the finishing sequences. Love that granularity.

nOoblet16

I'm kind of digging how some of the areas are so claustrophobic. The setting makes it look unique in this game because usually in most games you only get this sort of claustrophobia in caves or ruins..both very common.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Could probably post this in the OP so people have an idea of the options available. I especially love how there are several different tiers for the occurrence of the slow mo movie mode of the finishing sequences. Love that granularity.

PC performance thread usually cover these settings.

I assume the person who gave away the keys to the kingdom will put it up on release :p

Sanctuary

79 hours!?? Holy shit.

And 9:10? Yesssss

As HStallion said, YMMV. I think a lot of people are probably going to dock it two more points simply due to the environment either not being appealing, or being too samey throughout. Playing times are wildly varying too. Really depends on how many times someone dies, how often they might get lost, or just how slow in general they want to take it through either trepidation or just wanting to focus on the small details. Some people finished the first Dark Souls blind in under 60 hours, and I can't imagine this game being anywhere the same scope.

DemWalls

Fantastic. Thank you :)

(and thanks to the devs for taking the time to include the option)

Yeah, Deck13 have always been great with this. When LotF came out, some people (rightfully) complained about the Chromatic Aberration effect being way too pronounced, and they gave the option to turn it off after a few days with a patch.

Meanwhile, From just doesn't give a crap about doing the same for BB.

I'm mostly interested in what Souls fans think of this - and I say that as someone who's of the opinion that those people are more likely to be critical.

Listonosh

GfxAJ62.jpg

Ok this makes me feel a lot better about my current playtime. Like I said previously, I'm about 20 hours in and I feel like I'm maybe half way, but it could be less. I'm sure subsequent playthroughs will be much, much quicker.

I'm mostly interested in what Souls fans think of this - and I say that as someone who's of the opinion that those people are more likely to be critical.

I think it's great so far! As far as my souls history goes, I've beaten them all including Bloodborne, but never finished Demon's. I didn't particularly love Lords of the Fallen, something about that game just felt off, and it seemed like a bad clone, but The Surge does a lot of things right, combat being one of them. It also separates itself from Souls by implementing different mechanics in unique ways, such as leveling your Core power, which isn't as clear cut as simply increasing your level. The implants play a big part as well, and truly let you keep customizing your character on a case by case basis, as you're never really locked in any sort of stat progression.

nOoblet16

Yeah, Deck13 have always been great with this. When LotF came out, some people (rightfully) complained about the Chromatic Aberration effect being way too pronounced, and they gave the option to turn it off after a few days with a patch.

Meanwhile, From just doesn't give a crap about doing the same for BB.
Deck 13 is a top tier studio in terms of tech, they were doing some amazing shit graphically in LoTF and this game has a Pro mode that offers twice the framerate over base PS4 at virtually no visual compromise (outside of SSR). From is like straight up mid tier really in comparison, they don't really care if their game runs bad or lacks options.

Deck 13 is a top tier studio in terms of tech, they were doing some amazing shit graphically in LoTF and this game has a Pro mode that offers twice the framerate over base PS4 at virtually no visual compromise (outside of SSR). From is like straight up mid tier really in comparison, they don't really care if their game runs bad or lacks options.

LOTF ran pretty badly on PS4. Frequent fps drops and tearing. BB even with it's frametime issues was more pleasant to play.

LOTF ran pretty badly on PS4. Frequent fps drops and tearing. BB even with it's frametime issues was more pleasant to play.

Yup, also - calling From 'mid tier' seems eh, off the mark, lets just say.

I think it's great so far! As far as my souls history goes, I've beaten them all including Bloodborne, but never finished Demon's. I didn't particularly love Lords of the Fallen, something about that game just felt off, and it seemed like a bad clone, but The Surge does a lot of things right, combat being one of them. It also separates itself from Souls by implementing different mechanics in unique ways, such as leveling your Core power, which isn't as clear cut as simply increasing your level. The implants play a big part as well, and truly let you keep customizing your character on a case by case basis, as you're never really locked in any sort of stat progression.

Thanks for your impressions, sounds good.

Most implants I've seen in footage have been buffs, healing, etc. Are there more "tech magic" ones, or is stuff like that reserved for drone abilities?

Also how different do weapons within the same category feel?

DemWalls

Indeed, I may respect them less as creators, but as developers I sure respect them way more than From.

Actually, to think that they went from Venetica to LotF is impressive to say the least. They really stepped their game up - now I feel the urge to check that presentation about LotF's lighting again.

Effect

So is there a in story reason behind respawning when you die or just a game over and a reload at the last check point, hub, station and lose progress?

Also can you customer the look of the character at all at the start of the game?

nOoblet16

Yup, also - calling From 'mid tier' seems eh, off the mark, lets just say.
Their tech is unquestionably mid tier, not only do they have performance issues in their game but they also don't use advanced tech. LoTF had framerate issues but it was doing FAR FAR more impressive things technically from its GPU particles to volumetric lighting (the way they did light penetration through glass in LoTF was extremely fascinating and you still don't see it in other games). Just some of the examples.

You can have performance issues in games and still see that the developers are top tier tech wise, case in point GG with Killzone 2, ND with Uncharted 1, Crytek with Crysis 2/3. Basically bad performance cannot necessarily be used as evidence to find out a developer's tech profeciency (especially when they improve it in sequel, as was the case with those games and Surge) but performance WITH mid tier tech can be used as evidence especially if they keep repeating it.

Top Bottom