• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One reversals haven't hurt us; "we're in an enviable position"

Do you feel that the overhaul you’ve made to Xbox One’s strategy has hurt its momentum?
No. And look, we remain true to our vision that we want to be wherever our consumers want us to be. We think that digital consumption patterns will change and grow over time. We think that the Cloud gives you a level of sophistication, depth and breadth that people can only dream of. And overtime more people will embrace that.
That said, we want to offer consumers choice, including physical discs and being able to do all the things that they want with those physical discs. We want to be available in any format that our consumers are looking for. We’ve always been very committed to consumer choice.

Why not stick with your strategy, and just try and educate consumers better on what it was you were trying to do?
As a business, the minute we don’t listen to our customers attentively, and adapt and react in an appropriate way, then we would be in a dangerous place. I love the fact that we are reactive and agile in that way. We remain true to our vision – digitally and physically – and we are genuinely in an enviable position versus anyone else in being able to deliver that. I wouldn’t trade places with anybody.

Those high profile Xbox One policy reversals? Nothing to lose sleep over, according to Xbox Europe vice-president Chris Lewis. Speaking to MCV in a new interview, Lewis insists that the next generation Xbox is performing well despite the abandoning of Microsoft's original digital strategy, which would have obliged users to sign in every 24 hours in order to ascertain game ownership.

"That said, we want to offer consumers choice, including physical discs and being able to do all the things that they want with those physical discs. We want to be available in any format that our consumers are looking for. We've always been very committed to consumer choice."

Some have attributed the "failure" of Microsoft's original digital plan to miscommunication rather than any inherent flaws, which is a credible-sounding line of thinking. Perhaps most notably, Xbox execs gave differing, partial accounts of how game trading would work on Xbox One back at reveal, cue a sizeable backlash.

"As a business, the minute we don't listen to our customers attentively, and adapt and react in an appropriate way, then we would be in a dangerous place," Lewis observed, when asked whether Microsoft could have stuck to its guns. "I love the fact that we are reactive and agile in that way. We remain true to our vision - digitally and physically - and we are genuinely in an enviable position versus anyone else in being able to deliver that. I wouldn't trade places with anybody.
Via MCV and OXM

Enviable?

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

hwy_61

Banned
As a business, the minute we don't listen to our customers attentively, and adapt and react in an appropriate way, then we would be in a dangerous place

Like those initial pre order numbers? No shit, Sherlock.

Vol5

I'm sorry, but I can't shake the feeling that if the pre-order numbers were on a par or better than PS4, then the DRM would still stand.

On the flip side, now that Mattrick has gone, I feel a lot of subdued ideas are coming through.

46w500

Banned
I understand that the general consensus is that Microsoft can do no good going into this upcoming generation, but, really, they've done everything you would want a corporation to do when faced with consumer backlash. They've listened, they've made changes, and they're ensuring to communicate that this is how they are going to operate moving forward.

So, what would MicroSoft have to do, beyond what they're doing now, to appease gamers?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
They are in an enviable position but the reverses have done at least a bit of harm.

Take out the reverses and just make what is on the table now their original proposition, they can't tell me they wouldn't be stronger.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The initial plan hurt.There are peeps still hurt cuz of it. The reversal doesnt reverse the hurt for some, but the reversal itself shouldnt hurt. If it does...lol.

Honestly, besides online checks, most of the stuff didn't seem that bad. But I didn't like the limitations they put on me as a consumer. I know it will happen eventually, but I'm willing to wait until I'm forced.

I think the backlash was well warranted, it worked. now I can enjoy the majority of this generation while I still buy/sell/trade stuff that I bought.

I understand that the general consensus is that Microsoft can do no good going into this upcoming generation, but, really, they've done everything you would want a corporation to do when faced with consumer backlash. They've listened, they've made changes, and they're ensuring to communicate that this is how they are going to operate moving forward.

So, what would MicroSoft have to do, beyond what they're doing now, to appease NeoGAF?

Become Sony and put out The Last Guardian.

Vizzeh

Banned
Surely they could have "listened" to the consumers earlier, they ignored us for months until the backlash was unbearable. Im sure X1 is profitable, but they cannot be happy, the line coming from MS is a defensive one, the one from Sony is humbly elated.

Majanew

Banned
The reversals haven't hurt you. It was the original plans you had that hurt you. It caused a shit storm that you couldn't contain -- no matter how hard you tried to spin it. That's why you caved. That's why you did the reversals. That's why PS4 pre-orders are stomping all over XB1's. You were insulting and arrogant. You got what you deserved.

That said, we want to offer consumers choice...

Hmm, where have I heard this before...

EGM: in regards to HD-DVD as an optinal add-on, you said in the past, "We're not forcing movie technology on game players, but instead are letting them choose how to personalize their experiences." If this is true, why not sell a Blu-ray player as well?

Perter Moore: Well, because... when we look at HD-DVD, we're looking at a superior format. Microsoft is a backer of HD-DVD for a number of reasons, and I don't see any reason why we should support something that we don't believe in. We believe in HD-DVD.

EGM: Why not give customers the choice, though?

Peter Moore: Because the consumer's choosing HD-DVD. [Laughs all around] Look... we're not going to get embroiled in a movie-playback war. We're very clear on this. If you've already got your 360, $199 put you in the high-def movie playback scenario, but i'm not burdening the box with it as our competitor's done. This is about games. It's not about movies.

EGM: Does that mean you wouldn't include a built-in HD-DVD player in future iterations of the Xbox 360?

Peter Moore: No, no, it's about choice. We're absolutely focused on consumers that want to play games, and if they're fortunate enough to be the small minority right now that have the equipment to take advantage of the new generation of high-definition movie playback, then at their choice they can buy an HD-DVD player for $199.

Give me the choice of not buying Kinect, please.

That article is a load. They really gave a rats ass about customers, they would have never tried to push the retard levels of draconian drm. They had to wait to see they were getting double fisted on pre orders, and promptly shit their pants.

This is nothing but PR at its finest. This whole debacle and Win 8 has me scared for the future. I love MS's business products, but if they end up like this, then I don't know wtf is gonna happen.

Mesoian

Microsoft marketing is odd. They're always right where they need to be at the exact moment they need to be to lay down some amazing spin...but they always say the wrong thing.

I should make a gif of this, there's an amazing scene in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story where Bruce is auditioning for the role of Kato in the original Green Hornet, and he's jumping from rafters and fighting dudes, and sliding down banisters and doing that Jackie Chan shit before Jackie Chan stuff was a thing, and he lands and turns to the Hornet and says some one liner that's super dumb. I feel like that describes Microsoft's marketing beautifully. Aggressively nimble, able to slip in and out of places most companies can't, can get the entire world to watch them at a moment's notice on the edge of their seat and with baited breath, and then literally says the dumbest most anti-message thing possible once all eyes are upon them.

DodgerSan

It's staggering that these clowns keep trotting out the "listening to feedback" bs time and again. They had MONTHS of feedback, including the Orth incident.

But keep on spinning chaps.

BigDug13

So, what would MicroSoft have to do, beyond what they're doing now, to appease NeoGAF?

First of all, can people stop referring to Neogaf as a single entity with singular thought?

You are on Neogaf. You are defending Microsoft. Therefore Neogaf is not anti-Microsoft because you are a part of Neogaf.

Oppo

Bit of dissonance there, somehow being both "agile and reactive" and saying in the next breath "staying true to their vision".

Maybe they just mean their PR tactic sort-kinda worked for now, and they'll turn the DRM back on later.

Top Bottom