• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

So Google Dialer was accidently made available to all devices and they just switched it back to it being not working. Luckily I was able to snag the working version.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hey everyone check it out:

http://get.google.com/spaces/#

A new google product that seems to duplicate the intention of hangouts! Except I bet this will be better, and we'll all love it, get used to it, until it's cancelled next year.

In a way it's taking G+circles/communities/topics and creating conversation rooms around them. I just don't see how it's much different from say sharing something on G+ then have people comment on it as a conversation.

Hmmm, still skeptical for now.

A new google product that seems to duplicate the intention of hangouts! Except I bet this will be better, and we'll all love it, get used to it, until it's cancelled next year.

Classic. Let me guess, it's another YouTube messaging where Google thinks you're more than willing to re-add and convince every single friend you have to use yet another app.

Latest monthly security update breads Bluetooth on Nexus 6P, a lot of rumblings about it the past day or so.

The latest update first wipes all your Bluetooth connections (prior to the update) and then when you re-establish the Bluetooth connection the connection drops after 15 seconds of use.

It's crazy how this got through QA.

j-wood

Is Spaces even live yet or did Google announce it and not release it? Lol

It's live. The desktop site and the app are now in the play store.

It seems app notifications currently don't work though. I made a space with a friend and I've received nothing after he posts.

Anyone in the US have any experience with this? I slagged off Apple Pay like mad and said it was pointless as contactless cards are ubiquitous in the UK already.

But like the massive hypocrite I am, I'm now getting excited as it's launch is imminent in the UK - rumours say Wednesday.

A few banks have accidentally launched their help pages early and one store put 'we now accept androids pay' notices all over their tills early.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

LOL called it. Every year.

Looks to be a take on Reddit, kind of. Or forums.

Quasar

Anyone in the US have any experience with this? I slagged off Apple Pay like mad and said it was pointless as contactless cards are ubiquitous in the UK already.

But like the massive hypocrite I am, I'm now getting excited as it's launch is imminent in the UK - rumours say Wednesday.

A few banks have accidentally launched their help pages early and one store put 'we now accept androids pay' notices all over their tills early.

Well...my bank has gone it alone and built their own system and whilst it works fine I actually find it easier just to use a contactless enabled card.

Well...my bank has gone it alone and built their own system and whilst it works fine I actually find it easier just to use a contactless enabled card.

That's what I said. Still want it though.
I like the idea of it also being a PayPal type system for online purchases and having a list of everything in one place.

Some banks here are going it on their own. Notably Barclays. They have, or are in the process of, building NFC payment into their normal banking app.
I don't know why every bank didn't do that to head off having to give a cut to Google and Apple. We've had the technology very widespread over here for years. But no one did it.

I have a feeling that's how things will eventually end up.

Quasar

LOL called it. Every year.

Looks to be a take on Reddit, kind of. Or forums.

For forums I already have Plus Communities.

Seems a bit different to me with them being invite only things. And I'm guessing its not threaded. Looks kind of like a private twitter or something.

Quasar

That's what I said. Still want it though.
I like the idea of it also being a PayPal type system for online purchases and having a list of everything in one place.

Some banks here are going it on their own. Notably Barclays. They have, or are in the process of, building NFC payment into their normal banking app.
I don't know why every bank didn't do that to head off having to give a cut to Google and Apple. We've had the technology very widespread over here for years. But no one did it.

I have a feeling that's how things will eventually end up.

Not sure. I certainly would rather a single system rather than needing a different app for each bank. As it is when Ibsetup my banks app I had to make it the default for nfc payments rather than androidpay, so if I had accounts at different banks switching will be a hassle I imagine.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The may update has been fine for me. His bootloader was unlocked when he did the ota which Google has been warning to keep locked on Nexus devices for a while now. Unlock > Flash > Lock

LOL journalism

That's exactly whats been happening to me I wondered what was going on. No bootloader or any weird modifications on my end.

I've seen other people like Calabi who've said they've followed instructions too.

#LoLJournalism?

Vanillalite

Hey Google I have a proposal.

How about you hire me and pay me 6 figures.

I won't even do anything other than when the dumbasses you already have try and bring up the idea to create another social network and/or messaging app I'll just shoot them down.

It'll save you time, money, and manpower to not do all of this dumb shit too. Smh

Calabi

Welp I just had a major crash on the Pixel C. Heard a gmail notification whilst screen is off, then the audio stutters like crazy and none of buttons are working I cant get it to respond or cut the audio at all. Then eventually it reboots.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey Google I have a proposal.

How about you hire me and pay me 6 figures.

I won't even do anything other than when the dumbasses you already have try and bring up the idea to create another social network and/or messaging app I'll just shoot them down.

It'll save you time, money, and manpower to not do all of this dumb shit too. Smh
You'd abandon that eventually, too.

Vanillalite

Wtf is this Google

screenshot_20160516-2mzxhd.png

longdi

Banned
seemed a bit unresponsive in the video. might be because it's pre-production but still.

also if anything, the spaces app looks good. seems completely redundant though

I have the huawei m8 and it also have 6" 1080p screen, 80% screen to bezel ratio, 4000 mah battery, 4gb/64gb and faster arm octocore processor, as snappy as more expensive phones.

Oh and its 1080p ips-neo screen has crazily good viewing angles!

In short, this XAultra better be very affordable..the Chinese have more than caught up with them now.

Furyous

*looks at the word "mediatek"*
*Cancels preorder*

There's no excuse for a mediatek processor in any device.

I figured out the X lineup's naming scheme:
The XA is the C series budget
The X is the M series midrange
The X Performance is the Z6 successor

All of them have five inch displays and technically fit the compact label. Keyword here being technically.

Top Bottom