• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

WedgeX

Banned
DALLAS 19 IS PERMANENTLY LOCKED

Mik let me know someone claimed helis were on Dallas 19, so I hopped on the admin tool to keep an eye out. While trying to pry legit information from some trolls Mik started to flip out over Mumble. Tanks spawn on/around everyone on the server. Shut it down and locked it the minute it came back up.

Done with that piece of shit.

Every single time we've gone there, to admin or otherwise, hackers have plagued us. Dat shit cray.

Good thing we've got US 38. Stalkers and well-executed raids against us are nothing compared to randomly spawning tanks, jets and helis.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
It's crazy that a 3 year old, $30 dollar game is the #1 selling game on steam... That's just crazy. I'm also convinced that DayZ wouldn't have been able to take off as much as it did without services like steam. I don't think it would have been easy for everyone that bought ARMA because of DayZ to have found a physical copy.

Nonsense. Bohemia itself sells the game online: https://store.bistudio.com/

Everyone could do that.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Edit: It's possible we might gain some performance boost out of forcing people to have client 93616+. What does everyone say?
I say yes. It's going to happen anyways, so we may as well be prepared so that when the next patch comes up we can avoid the inevitable thread posts that say,"why can't I join GAF server." As people should already know to have switched to the Beta patch.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
"Services like steam." I'd infer that he means digital distribution in general, along with Steam specifically.

You mean the internet then.

Digital distribution has been around since mid-90s. What sets Steam apart isn't the digital distribution technology in and of itself. It's unique insofar as it's a retail store on the internet because they pool brands. Apart from that, it's the deals and the chat features that make it great (and other tidbits).

None of that contributed much to the general availability of the game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

Mik let me know someone claimed helis were on Dallas 19, so I hopped on the admin tool to keep an eye out. While trying to pry legit information from some trolls Mik started to flip out over Mumble. Tanks spawn on/around everyone on the server. Shut it down and locked it the minute it came back up.

I'll be looking into a solution that will allow the majority of us to help moderate US 38/TX8. Not everyone is becoming an admin, but we do need something in place that we can shut the hacking down sooner rather than later.
Is there a software tool or something that we can use to prevent the hacks? I know I've seen some questionable players, but I would hate to ban a player that seems to have legitimately worked hard for his gear, but some of the things I've seen in the last week or so don't seem to make much sense. I've seen people with silenced weapons and NVG's and Ghilie Suits way too frequently. I've run into these types of players within minutes of each other on our server on the same play through on the same night.

nekosaur

Current changelog

Changelog:
* [FIXED] Wire Spools, Toolboxes, hedgehog (tank trap) kits not spawning
* [FIXED] Bodies still being deleted too quickly sometimes
* [FIXED] No backpacks or medical boxes spawning
* [FIXED] "No Speaker..." debug report spam
* [FIXED] Infected spawning too close to players (minimum 30m now)
* [FIXED] Infected not spawning inside buildings any more
* [NEW] Infected can't attack through walls
* [NEW] Infected can't see through objects any more
* [NEW] Infected visibility increased (but limited by LOS)
* [NEW] Infected attack range increased (but limited by LOS)
* [NEW] Infected can cause greater damage when they hit you
* [NEW] Optimized server cleanup routine

mik83kuu

Banned
ixJpXhnqCyXSJ.gif

Here's a .gif of me almost getting crushed by two tanks. Not heard in the gif: Me freaking out and a huge crash as the left tank spawns off screen.

ilAsO7HQogvRf.gif

This is AJ trying to suggest I give him road head.

ameratsu

I was only subject to very blatant hacking once where some guy lit up elektro with an infinite ammo rpg. I wonder how prevalent it really is.

With you lol, I wasn't aware there were comments between. Should have quoted.

"Done with that piece of shit."

Sounded pretty definitive and about supporting dayz.

Oh, no, that's relating to Dallas 19. We have so little control over that server that it's frustrating any time someone complains because I can't do anything except for contact the host. Nice guy, but he's slow to do things and doesn't communicate anything.

BadTaste

Found a crashed Huey with a Bizon PP19 SD, FN FAL and a DMR.

After looting what I could I ventured into the forest and found a small open area with 6 tents, 1 bicycle and 1 ATV. I checked the tents, all of them had stuff inside them, such as an M4, M16A2, and miscellaneous things.

I didn't have much room to carry anything so I just hopped onto the ATV and drove away, it was in perfect condition.

I reached the road between Chernogorsk and Elektro, and I decided to head towards Elektro, on the way there I noticed a player on the road too, he was running in the same direction as I was. I decided to stick to the road to keep momentum going... well the fucker took shots at me as I drove past him. I was swerving to try and avoid gunfire but he did hit me a couple of times, he only had a makerov so I wasn't hurt that much.. until I drove onto the railway and flipped the ATV, thus breaking my legs.

Luckily I had 1 stick of morphine left so I used it hastily then proceeded to kill the player with my Bizon since he was sprinting towards me..

I tried to flip the ATV back onto all fours but it was impossible, while I was doing that another makerov wielder approached me, and he immediately took shots at me from afar. I put him down after a few moments then I high tailed it out of there.

A minute later while I was en route to Elektro on foot, I heard an explosion behind me followed by "________ was killed" (same guy I killed just after flipping the ATV).

Laughed my ass off.

abusori

I'll be looking into a solution that will allow the majority of us to help moderate US 38/TX8. Not everyone is becoming an admin, but we do need something in place that we can shut the hacking down sooner rather than later.

Feel free to give me admin powers~

dionysus

Yaldog
Is there a software tool or something that we can use to prevent the hacks? I know I've seen some questionable players, but I would hate to ban a player that seems to have legitimately worked hard for his gear, but some of the things I've seen in the last week or so don't seem to make much sense. I've seen people with silenced weapons and NVG's and Ghilie Suits way too frequently. I've run into these types of players within minutes of each other on our server on the same play through on the same night.

Couldn't they have just killed a hacker to get the gear?

Also, I haven't tried it but isn't persistant characters across servers an easy way to abuse the system. Find a good loot spot, and then just jump servers until you find exactly what you want.

abusori

Third ATV I've managed to flip since I got the first one late last week. Also did you know you can flatten a tent with an ATV?

Was that the one...oh nevermind.

TX8 probably has no more ATV's, people. (this despite me knowing of at least 5 of them)
Mik, we could've had an ATV gaf squad. We could've.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Couldn't they have just killed a hacker to get the gear?

Also, I haven't tried it but isn't persistant characters across servers an easy way to abuse the system. Find a good loot spot, and then just jump servers until you find exactly what you want.
Yes and yes. Both of those you mentioned are problems that I imagine will be addressed sometime in the future.

mik83kuu

Banned
That's the latest beta patch right?

No. But just download the latest and you'll be fine.

---

Also I just lost a shit ton of gear.

ATV:
Five tents
A14
Two AK-something-or-anothers
Shit ton of ammo

Me:
Coyote Elite
M4 Silenced
G17
NVG
Laser Range Finder
GPS
All the tools
Shit ton of ammo and shit

All of this because I was driving the ATV from NW Airfield (where I was farming) and took a wrong turn and got myself right in the middle of Starye Sobor. I didn't last a fucking second.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
All of this because I was driving the ATV from NW Airfield (where I was farming) and took a wrong turn and got myself right in the middle of Starye Sobor. I didn't last a fucking second.
You need to just stop with the ATV's. You are always shooting yourself in the foot with them. I'm sorry for your loss.

Info on the next update

The highlighted are Game changers. Will be very interesting logging in to play once it gos live.

* [NEW] You can hide from an infected chasing you

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Info on the next update

The highlighted are Game changers. Will be very interesting logging in to play once it gos live.

Game changers is right.

Anton668

You need to just stop with the ATV's. You are always shooting yourself in the foot with them. I'm sorry for your loss.

pretty sure we already told him he's cut off from ATV's.
maybe he should stick to something simpler like fishing boats.
course, who am I kidding. he'll find a way to flip/roll that too. lol

Info on the next update

This list pleases me. Just picked up Arma II for my girlfriend this weekend so I'm excited to see these changes as I will be playing more often now.

legacyzero

Banned
Info on the next update

HIDE from infected? hmmm. I wonder how...

HIDE from infected? hmmm. I wonder how...

Most likely has to do with the fact that they can no longer see through walls. You can currently outrun them if you use the terrain, and sometimes if you just stay prone even after you aggro, they will sometimes forget you are there and wander off. I would assume now if you can say get indoors and up some stairs and go prone they will stop chasing you or lose track of where you are.

Irish

Rocket has his experimenting cap on:

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

Hear me out...

It's one of the most intriguing suggestions I've seen. I considered it right at the start of the project. With the new zombie line-of-sight calculations and the ability to loose them, this might actually work

PRO:
- People spawning in can't quickly get into griefing
- Recovering your old loot becomes difficult and risky
- Add's a whole new element and gameplay at the start
- Maybe adds some authenticity, who has a handgun at home?

CON:
- It's fucking annoying having to sneak and run around to find a gun (believe me, I just tried it)
- You can spawn many times before you actually have a life that finds a weapon
- Hackers, for the moment, will reveille in this change until their loopholes are closed

I actually enjoyed doing this when I was experimenting with it myself.

Le sigh, going from 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 really screwed me over as I didn't know how to stealth the zombies, now I do he is going to make it even harder?

I know this is supposed to be an 'anti-game' but stop ****** switching up the skills you need to play the game, make the changes and leave them.

Le sigh, going from 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 really screwed me over as I didn't know how to stealth the zombies, now I do he is going to make it even harder?

I know this is supposed to be an 'anti-game' but stop ****** switching up the skills you need to play the game, make the changes and leave them.

why

fanboi

Banned

Alpha dude... its alpha...

Sorry man, but it's an alpha.

It's not bullshit. It's just a public alpha. So core changes are expected.

Hell, i've played beta mods that stayed as beta for 3 or 4 years and changed the gameplay more than this.

Would you be more happy to play this in 2 years with a final playstyle?

jediyoshi

Sit down and have a think about where you want the game to go, don' constantly tweak the mechanics of the game ruining the experience, just when you get used to one play style he has a brain fart and everyone rides his **** like its the best idea in the world.

Testing>Thinking

Constantly tweaking is inherent to progress. The mod as it exists now isn't meant to represent anything more than a work in progress.

fanboi

Banned
Been reading too much Reddit, le sorry.

Sick of that BS.

Sit down and have a think about where you want the game to go, don' constantly tweak the mechanics of the game ruining the experience, just when you get used to one play style he has a brain fart and everyone rides his **** like its the best idea in the world.

While thinking will take you a far bit, actuall testing is the most crucial part.

Of course they are thinking about changes and planning. But it is when you implement them you see the effects on the game it will have.

And what more can I say... it is alpha... rules/mechanics/content will change... alot.

Jibbed

I think some people need to consider that while Rocket does reach out to the community a lot with suggestions, at the end of the day it's his mod. He's stated a few times it's Alpha for a reason. He will constantly change things and do what the fuck he wants, you're not entitled to anything. The thing with mod development is there is no structure - there's not really a plan of sorts, it's a work-in-progress. If you don't like the current direction of development then take 5 and play something else.

I can't wait for the update myself, everything sounds great. On the spawning with no weapon idea, again I'm supportive, but we need some kind of melee defense at least.

Looking forward to the update. Having zombies seeing you through a huge building then running away from them for 20 minutes is annoying.

Top Bottom