• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls 360 patch held up due to MSFT patch size limits

Aka Lab Zero can't catch a break:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/09/skullgirls-xbla-patch-in-limbo-due-to-file-size/
http://www.xblafans.com/microsoft-h...bla-patch-due-to-size-restrictions-61789.html
Despite landing on the PlayStation 3 back in late November, Skullgirls' Slightly Different Edition update has yet to make its way to Microsoft's console. The delay is due to the file size of the update itself, according to XBLA Fan's translation of a tweet from the official Japanese Skullgirls account.

While Microsoft limits XBLA updates to just four megs, the fighter's Slightly Different Edition patch weighs in at 590 megabytes. Being granted an exception to the rule is apparently possible, though subsequently time consuming. No announcements have been made regarding an expected completion date for the whole deal.

Edit: Ravidrath got a detailed explanation. See post 86

Games are allowed to have bigger than 4MB nowadays, but obviously a limit is still there. Would be interesting to know the exact limit.

Since the game is on XBLA, couldn't they just replace the game with a new patched version? They've done it before with Bomberman for example.

Solo Act

Rules and regulations. I don't know exactly how, but I would bet this policy is in place for financial reasons. Why else would a company make a conscious decision to not improve a game that is available on its system?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Real question: Does Microsoft actually do anything good for gaming anymore? It seems like every single thread about them is either about how shitty their policies are for developers or advertising.

Rules and regulations. I don't know exactly how, but I would bet this policy is in place for financial reasons. Why else would a company make a conscious decision to not improve a game that is available on its system?

IIRC bandwidth is a factor; for example, Sony charges the publisher by the bandwidth spent by consumers downloading these additions. MS has a different system that (I think) is in part designed to discourage putting bloat on their network. It's just really outdated.

I was hoping this was the first reply.

Am I the only one still hoping Skullgirls comes to Steam?

Right now it's looking likely that Skullgirls will make it to PC based on what Ravid has been saying the past few weeks, so I think it's OK to keep your hopes up.

It's not a great indicator of anything, but Skullgirls did become available for preorder on Gamersgate again. (thanks Tizoc)

They charge out the ass for the cert process on every patch, you'd think they could roll whatever bandwidth charges they incur somewhere in that $40k

KageMaru

I don't understand why any type of patch should have any memory size limit. They really need to get this sorted out for next gen.

androvsky

IIRC bandwidth is a factor; for example, Sony charges the publisher by the bandwidth spent by consumers downloading these additions. MS has a different system that (I think) is in part designed to discourage putting bloat on their network. It's just really outdated.
Even Sony has mostly dropped bandwidth charges. From a dev interview last summer, between SCEA and SCEE, only one of them has a bandwidth fee any more, and it's only for downloads larger than 2 GB.

Even Sony has mostly dropped bandwidth charges. From a dev interview last summer, between SCEA and SCEE, only one of them has a bandwidth fee any more, and it's only for downloads larger than 2 GB.

Makes MS seem even more disappointing in context then, although there may be other factors we're unaware of.

Maybe they're just waiting for next-gen, since it's generally been stated they'll be a lot more accommodating then? Your guess is as good as mine.

Shito

Nope.
This process is in place because the 360 has to support 20Go SKUs, and more importantly old SKUs without any HDD (I think the memory card is something like 4Go?).
So, what they did was reserve a given buffer space on the drive where to store the updates, and cycle through them once it maxes out -- the new one erasing the oldest one. That's why you always have an update prompt when playing a game you haven't played for ages: your old update got erased, and you have to download it again.
With such a system in place, it's easy to see why they would want a size limit on those patches.

This shouldn't be a problem for the "720", since all SKUs will have an HDD. Just like the PS3 or the Wii U do.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They don't have free dlc [on the X360]? Didn't halo 3?

Microsoft really needs to fix this. Why the hell does it cost so much as well?

Nope. Portal 2 is the exception for the simple reason it's also on the PS3.

Edit: I'd assumed by "'they" you meant "Valve", but I just realised I'm probably wrong on that.

bitoriginal

What the fuck?

I can only say that I'm glad there's an alternative to XBL.

Quite frankly I appreciate the limit. I've turned PS3 games on to see I've got to download over 500mb, which would take about an hour on my shit connection. I then turn it off to play something else. Most games on the Xbox patch in about a minute, and it doesn't eat into my gaming time.

I understand that some games differ from the norm such as Skullgirls, but in general, I think that the patch size limit on Xbox is a good thing.

1. Set a limit for patch sizes.

2. Make only first patch free (or how many there was, no matter)

3. ???

4. Profit.

Bring on next gen.

They don't have free dlc? Didn't halo 3?

Microsoft really needs to fix this. Why the hell does it cost so much as well?

Nope, at least not XBLA games, not sure about retail games. Pretty sure Bioshock had free DLC. I recall Bastion having free DLC on PC and the DLC on X360 cost 80 MSP because they couldn't have it be free. There's also a fee for making DLC (and patches too for that matter).

Since everything is downloaded from XBL on X360, MS takes a fee. That fee definitely covers more than just the servers though, like earnings.

mollipen

IIRC bandwidth is a factor; for example, Sony charges the publisher by the bandwidth spent by consumers downloading these additions. MS has a different system that (I think) is in part designed to discourage putting bloat on their network. It's just really outdated

It's a fair argument - the costs for bandwidth that Microsoft has to deal with for downloads. Maybe they could do something like, say, charge consumers a fee for online to help offset those costs.

Nope. Portal 2 is the exception for the simple reason it's also on the PS3.

When pressed about whether Microsoft effectively enforced the pricing, Faliszek added: "Well, they helped us get the first one out for free. We had the one DLC out for free. And I think... they have to look and say, wow, we're kind of being unfair to everybody else if these guys can do that

that's interesting.

I can't help but feel valve like the additional income but know they can blame microsoft for any backlash. after all, why price the dlc for the odd price of 560msp when they could price it for 200msp or 400msp?

it should be noted there's a ton of free dlc on the store as well as a number of free games, so I'm not sure that's even valid any more. after all, that is from nearly 4 years ago.

It's a fair argument - the costs for bandwidth that Microsoft has to deal with for downloads. Maybe they could do something like, say, charge consumers a fee for online to help offset those costs.

Yeah, that will work. I wonder why didn't they do so? Oh, wait a minute...

Xbox-live-logo.png

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The limit isn't 4MB, hasn't been for almost two years. Regardless of the actual limit, there are ways around it.

Ask Criterion, Dice and many others...

JaseC

Nope, at least not XBLA games, not sure about retail games. Pretty sure Bioshock had free DLC. I recall Bastion having free DLC on PC and the DLC on X360 cost 80 MSP because they couldn't have it be free. There's also a fee for making DLC (and patches too for that matter).

Since everything is downloaded from XBL on X360, MS takes a fee. That fee definitely covers more than just the servers though, like earnings.

Forza Horizon has a couple of free DLC packs due this month.

I don't understand why any type of patch should have any memory size limit. They really need to get this sorted out for next gen.

Because when I put a game in, I want to play it. I don't want to wait for it to download a patch for half an hour first.

Obviously there should be exceptions, but they should be just that: exceptions.

The limit isn't 4MB, hasn't been for almost two years. Regardless of the actual limit, there are ways around it.

1.) It's a contextual limit.

2.) I agree, there is a long-established history of games from AAA publishers getting to pick and choose which platform rules they don't have to follow. Skullgirls doesn't fall in that category, though.

Draft

Real question: Does Microsoft actually do anything good for gaming anymore? It seems like every single thread about them is either about how shitty their policies are for developers or advertising.
The provide the one platform where publishers can sell enough units to justify AAA development costs.

JaseC

that's interesting.

I can't help but feel valve like the additional income but know they can blame microsoft for any backlash. after all, why price the dlc for the odd price of 560msp when they could price it for 200msp or 400msp?

I think that's the point -- 560 MSP was as low as Microsoft would go.

it should be noted there's a ton of free dlc on the store as well as a number of free games, so I'm not sure that's even valid any more. after all, that is from nearly 4 years ago.

I edited my post just moments ago; I thought he was asking about Valve, not the X360 in general.

Quite frankly I appreciate the limit. I've turned PS3 games on to see I've got to download over 500mb, which would take about an hour on my shit connection. I then turn it off to play something else. Most games on the Xbox patch in about a minute, and it doesn't eat into my gaming time.

I understand that some games differ from the norm such as Skullgirls, but in general, I think that the patch size limit on Xbox is a good thing.

I tend to agree. I hope they keep a limit next gen but both increase that limit to something like 20mb and drop the fee or at least reconsider the cost. have a scaling system or something.

first patch is free, second patch costs a few hundred and then ramp up the cost to say a couple of thousand and if a fourth patch is required, charge 10k or something. 40k is excessive.

dan2026

Because when I put a game in, I want to play it. I don't want to wait for it to download a patch for half an hour first.

This is a fair point.

If you let developers do whatever they want, some will end up taking the piss.
I'm surprised that a resolution can't be made here though.

It seems like they are arguing over semantics.

I was also all for this game when it came out (and bought it on the 360 lol)
Now the game might as well be dead to me.
New characters, new modes, bugfixes, all of it came to naught in the end.

I think that's the point -- that 560 MSP was as low as Microsoft would go.

I'm not so sure, there's nothing in the article that suggests they enforced a price point but rather insisted that they charge for the dlc. the pricing is seemingly left up to the the publisher / developer, otherwise all dlc would have a set minimum limit and that's not the case.

40K is an internet myth. They charge 10K.

that's a lot more reasonable. do you know if it's a scaling system or is that the fee for all patches after the first one?

KageMaru

I understand that but there are other patches that far exceed 4MB, which is my point. Why have this stupid rule that any patch that does not change the executable be limited in file size?

JaseC

I'm not so sure, there's nothing in the article that suggests they enforced a price point but rather insisted that they charge for the dlc. the pricing is seemingly left up to the the publisher / developer, otherwise all dlc would have a set minimum limit and that's not the case.

I'd say the "economy of value" comment suggests just that, but it's difficult to be certain as there's no further clarification.

Nabs

Not all DLC is the same. I think Microsoft sets the minimum depending on the type of content provided.

Off the top of my head, Bioshock, RDR and Mass Effect 3 had free, sizable DLC too. Then again, these were AAA multiplats so the same rules might not have applied. Burnout is interesting in that it was DLC acting as massive title updates.

Wasn't Hydrophobia overhauled for free?

Top Bottom