• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any making food less salty tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Timedog said:
This. It's simple physics.
make sense.

so food on plate. bowl of water next to plate. no overlapping or titlt?

if i have a huge plate of food, would a huge bowl of water be needed/.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
is terriaki. she got some shitty salt sauce. so the meat strips and vegetables are soaked in salty sauce.

Dahellisdat said:
Seal your food in a semipermeable membrane and then leave it in a tank of water overnight.
:lol:lol

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Lay terriaki strips on a bed of cooked white rice, the rice will adsorb salty sauce. Then eat them both at the same time.

Askani

19b728.jpg

"Make it again!"

No, I'm not some kind of Misogynist actually advocating violence against women.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
DeathNote said:
make sense.

so food on plate. bowl of water next to plate. no overlapping or titlt?

if i have a huge plate of food, would a huge bowl of water be needed/.

elevate the bowl and get it as close to the water as possible. The amount of water won't matter too much because the saturation point of salt mixed with water is far more than anything you'll likely have in your food, although a larger bowl would have more surface area of exposed water and exacerbate the process I guess. If you can rig something up so that tilt is possible, that would help tremendously as far as speed, actually, but if not an hour or two would probably do fine.

This should preferably be done in a warm area. As the water evaporates from the bowl and causes the air in the direct vicinity to have more moisture content, and gaseous H2O lives in a somewhat unstable state in the atmosphere, with many loose H and O atoms continually breaking apart and reattaching to form H2O molecules. These atoms, when loosed, are WAY more attracted to sodium ions than to each other, because they naturally prefer to form an ionic compound rather than share valence electrons. When these non-metal atoms come in contact with sodium ions, the bond together and create a compound that is gaseous at the normal temperatures we live at( I think you have to go down to like -120 kelvin for them to become solids). Thus some of the salt on the food is dissolved and dissipates into a very common, unscented gas. Although the various gas laws state that much of the sodium will also move into the bowl in an aqueous and unstable state. You breathe in small amounts of the gas every time you cook or wash your hands!

Solaros said:

?

S. L.

Timedog said:
elevate the bowl and get it as close to the water as possible. The amount of water won't matter too much because the saturation point of salt mixed with water is far more than anything you'll likely have in your food, although a larger bowl would have more surface area of exposed water and exacerbate the process I guess. If you can rig something up so that tilt is possible, that would help tremendously as far as speed, actually, but if not an hour or two would probably do fine.

This should preferably be done in a warm area. As the water evaporates from the bowl and causes the air in the direct vicinity to have more moisture content, and gaseous H2O lives in a somewhat unstable state in the atmosphere, with many loose H and O atoms continually breaking apart and reattaching to form H2O molecules. These atoms, when loosed, are WAY more attracted to sodium ions than to each other, because they naturally prefer to form an ionic compound rather than share valence electrons. When these non-metal atoms come in contact with sodium ions, the bond together and create a compound that is gaseous at the normal temperatures we live at( I think you have to go down to like -120 kelvin for them to become solids), thus some of the salt on the food is dissolved and dissipates into a very common, unscented gas. In fact, you breathe in small amounts of this gas every time you cook or wash your hands!
white_ninja_clever7x7.png

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DeaconKnowledge said:
(Seriously, One Salt gets into beef good luck getting it out.)
Speaking of which, if you manage to try salt-preserved meat sometime, it will suddenly become clear to you why England has a tradition of stews and boiling food in general.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Timedog said:
an hour or two would probably do fine.

This should preferably be done in a warm area.

So you want him to set meat out on a warm countertop for a couple hours and then eat it?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Borgnine said:
So you want him to set meat out on a warm countertop for a couple hours and then eat it?

I severely doubt that anything bad is going to happen to the meat in an hour. One time I ate a jack in the box burger that was 36 hours at room temperature. Sometimes it takes me an hour just to eat my food at a restaurant if I'm with a bunch of people and we're talking a lot, or I get too full to finish it right away. But try at your own discretion, OP.

edit: I also don't see where he said it was meat.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Timedog said:
I severely doubt that anything bad is going to happen to the meat in an hour. One time I ate a jack in the box burger that was 36 hours at room temperature. Sometimes it takes me an hour just to eat my food at a restaurant if I'm with a bunch of people and we're talking a lot, or I get too full to finish it right away. But try at your own discretion, OP.

Food should generally be left out in the open for no longer than two hours. One hour if the air is hot.

Economan

Desalinate the food.

All you got to do is put the food in water. Entropy will cause the salt to diffuse out of the food and into the water (until there is an equal concentration), as solutes move with a concentration gradient (high to low). Although, you probably won't want to do this if its like cake or meat or something. Actually, probably only something like pickles or feta cheese is where you'd want to do this.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Hitokage said:

Food should generally be left out in the open for no longer than two hours. One hour if the air is hot.

omg you guys are SO suburban.

I ate some turkey burritos that were left out in my car for 4 hours and I was doin the jitterbug not 3 hours later.

I love eating sandwiches that have been left out in the sun all day. There simply is no greater food on this planet.

yall gotta get dirty some times...makes the body strong.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
JodyAnthony said:
That's the saltiest thing I ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt.

Okay, fuck. I've been thinking about this all freaking day long.....

How did you taste the OP's meal he got from his grandma?

Fusebox

Banned
Potatos isn't it? I remember theres something you can cut and throw in and it absorbs salt, I'm sure its potatos.

edit - Aha!! I'm not going nuts:

http://www.hub-uk.com/tallytip01/tip0032.htm

If your stock, sauce, soup, stew etc is too salty; add a peeled potato or potatoes into it, depending on how salty it is and how much of the stock, sauce, soup or stew you have.

As the potato cooks it will absorb a lot of the salt. The cooked potato can then just be discarded (or used if really wished). Repeat if necessary

EmSeta

Sol.. said:
omg you guys are SO suburban.

I ate some turkey burritos that were left out in my car for 4 hours and I was doin the jitterbug not 3 hours later.

I love eating sandwiches that have been left out in the sun all day. There simply is no greater food on this planet.

yall gotta get dirty some times...makes the body strong.

+1

dionysus

Yaldog
Raw potatoes work wonders. I once put 3 tablespoons into chili instead of 3 teaspoons, was fine with one potato. Make sure you cut it up into about 4 slices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom