• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really That Good: Transformers the Movie

As an absolute Transformers fanatic, I appreciate this movie and the way it has shaped the franchise.

As someone born 11 years after the movie came out, I fucking hate it. I had someone tell me the other day that it is the greatest piece of Transformers fiction available, and had to stop myself from going into a rage.

And while the video makes interesting points about intent vs. interpretation, it doesn't exactly hold up under scrutiny. Also funny that apparently everyone hated Hot Rod back then. He's one of my favorites now.

It's still better than the 2nd-5th Bay films, though.

Pilgrimzero

Movie was devastating to a kid back then.

I recall the later episode where zombie Optimus came back then die again just to add salt to the wound.

banktree

Banned
It's something that demands you have heavy nostalgia. Having never watched the cartoon, my first exposure to it was a 'surprise' midnight movie. What followed was an hour or so of loud flashing lights, explosions, and horrid music. It made Michael Bay look like Shakesphere.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I've never seen it, but honestly, I probably would be able to turn my brain off and enjoy it if it wasn't for that goddamned Shia LeBouf.

edit: oh goddamn it. He's talking about the original animated film, not Bayformers lol.

Toxi

Banned
The Touch means I can't hate this movie.

Though people calling it the best Transformers fiction are fucking nuts.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I mean, I'm not a fan of the movie overall, but to say the music is the biggest problem with Transformers is like saying Scarlett Johannson was the worst aspect of Lucy.

bionic77

Anyone who did not love this movie in 1986 has horrible taste.

Watching this in the theaters as a 9 year old was mind blowing. It melted my brain watching all my favorite characters die. Moves faster than any movie I can think of. And the soundtrack remains legendary.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I guess, but it's weird as so many of the things he seems to not like about fandom and fan culture and bad, lazy criticism can be sourced/traced back to this film sort of IMPRINTING on people like a fetish.

An entire generation of boys (between this, Dark Knight Returns & the general misunderstanding of Watchmen) grew up thinking unloading a shotgun into your toybox was the shortcut to depth and resonance, and as such, the 90s/00s followed that trend to its natural (ugly) terminus, the effects of which we're only JUST NOW in 2017 starting to move past.

To argue that its somehow a good thing because of that is weird to me.

I dunno, the thrust of the video seems to be that the movie is "really that good" if by "that good" you mean "memorably batshit on a level that a toy commercial probably doesn't deserve to be but accidentally attained anyway." It's an offbeat entry in his series, no doubt, but I agree with most of it as a TF fan and fan of the '86 movie who acknowledges that it's visually inventive schlock.

Wouldn't the better argument be that if you loved it in 1986 as a little kid it's likely because you were a little kid and you hadn't developed any real taste yet at all?

I didn't like it in 1986. I grew to appreciate it more seeing it as an adult. As a kid I hated it because it killed everyone I liked except the Dinobots and expected me to care about all these nobody idiots who turned into bullshit "future" cars.

Oersted

Yeah, being impaled through the chest by a poisonous snake is something you can easily recover from.

The deaths in the movie always crack me up.

Besides the whole killing of favourites, its so absurdly cruel. My favourite is that one scene where that poor bloke is sentenced to death.

I didn't like it in 1986. I grew to appreciate it more seeing it as an adult. As a kid I hated it because it killed everyone I liked except the Dinobots and expected me to care about all these nobody idiots who turned into bullshit "future" cars.

I liked it when I was little and watched the shit out of it. But I was a little kid and didn't really know shit. I revisited it on a DVD release, I think, and was fucking shocked at how god-awful it was on almost every percievable level

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well Gen 1 is the best era.

Speaking as a fan since day one in 1984, Beast Wars and IDW's More Than Meets The Eye comic are light years better than anything G1 ever did.

I liked it when I was little and watched the shit out of it. But I was a little kid and didn't really know shit. I revisited it on a DVD release, I think, and was fucking shocked at how god-awful it was on almost every percievable level

My main surprise upon rewatching it years later was "How the hell did I not have any kind of 'wtf is this' reaction to the music?" The '80s were a time, that's for sure.

I'm not really sure I would call Transformers: The Movie per-say, but there are some good moments, and the energy is really good. Yes it's a toy commercial, but hey it's not boring at least. Plus it's very quotable. " See, the universal greeting works every time".

This movie is not "really that good." It's a fuckin toy commercial that rips off Star Wars.

Soundtrack is good though. Vince DiCola is pretty awesome.

Shame he basically retired after this film. Sure it was very similar to Rocky 4, but synths were huge in the 80's, and I'm sure he could have done a few more films, before petering out in the 90's.

JCHandsom

After ruminating on the review for a while now, I'm still not sure whether or not I agree with it.

On the one hand, I'm a believer in the death of the author and everything he's saying at the end of the video about audiences being the ones who imbue meaning into a work and the reader becoming the story teller is preaching to the choir.

On the other hand, I am very skeptical about the merits of media aimed at children and people's feelings concerning the "experience" they had as a child. There are numerous examples of films that I was wild about as a kid that I saw with new, more critical, eyes when I was older and vice versa. To make the claim that because something endears itself into the hearts and minds of a bunch of children must mean that there are some hidden depths to it is...let's call it optimistic. And that's coming from the guy who unironically likes ID4.

gforguava

I guess I'll be generous enough to say it was at least the best feature length toy commercial of 1986 but anything beyond that is just nostalgic nonsense. It is a terrible film, outclassed by dozens upon dozens of films released that year alone.

Firemind

Speaking as a fan since day one in 1984, Beast Wars and IDW's More Than Meets The Eye comic are light years better than anything G1 ever did.
tumblr_lwghn8Ht2R1r20x9do1_500.gif

Autobots dying to the tune of Instruments of Destruction is the greatest thing ever put on film.
hi5

Catphish

Love this movie.

I'll never forget when Megatron & Co. stormed the Autobot shuttle and took out Prowl, Wheeljack, and the others. When Starscream held the transformed Megatron, shot those guys, and the red smoke leaked from their gaping mouths before they collapsed into lifeless heaps... I said goddamn.

That fight between Prime and Megatron. Fucking savage. "I'll rip out your optics!" ...I said goddamn.

When Prime died and Unicron changed Megatron to Galvatron and Galvatron fucking disintegrated Starscream, I said goddamn.

Then when Ultra Magnus, trying to active the Autobot Matrix, said, "Open, dammit, open!" (and I'm pretty sure someone said "shit" along the way), I said goddamn.

So many other good scenes.

I was a huge fan of the cartoon as a kid, but the movie was hard-fucking-core by comparison. I think that's why I loved it so much. It didn't give a good goddamn.

Also, the soundtrack is excellent. I still listen to it often. 👍

New002

I love this movie as much as Bobby Roberts hates it @_@. I've loved it since I first saw it as a kid. Still do. I've seen it countless times and still watch it at least once a year. To me it's a classic.

jett

D-Member
No it's not. It's a different kind of bad than the Bayformers.

Gave it a rewatch some months ago, I was surprised how poor some of the animation looks, compared to what I remembered. :p

JCHandsom

Say what you will about Transformers '86, but Bayformers is repugnant on multiple levels. I don't feel like I'd need to take a shower after watching the animated movie.

It actually had a female Autobot character that didn't die after saying two words.

Catphish

Say what you will about Transformer 86, but Bayformers is repugnant on multiple levels. I don't feel like I'd need to take a shower after watching the animated movie.

I don't understand why they had to look like fucking silverware art when they transformed into robots. Why didn't they just stick with the G1 models?

Top Bottom