• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares review thread

Pre-ordered the collectors edition, my wallet can hate me later. I wish there was a normal version since I don't like having collectors editions with statues, but if its the only physical release here then Ill take it.

Plum

Will definitely be picking this up when I have the chance. I'm pretty much going in blind, but the reviews and impressions from this thread intrigue me. A more direct INSIDE without the severe case of ambiguitus? Sounds like something I'll like for sure.

Kremzeek

Definitely buying, but later when it's on sale.

I'm playing Persona, and Dragon Quest is out next week so I'm too busy.

noomi

Oh man, i completely forgot about this.

Remember seeing it a few months back and was very interested, reviews looks good! Will pick this up.

Thanks for posting and reminding those of us who forgot :p

NOPE, unfortunately it's basically half of that.
As I wrote in my review, I completed the game in two sittings, for a total lenght of something above 3-3.5 hours of total playtime.
Yup, it's definitely not a long game, but it's still absolutely worth it.
And also, the beginning is IMHO the weakest part: after
the kitchen
(it's not a real spoiler, it's really a setting that has always been shown) it really keeps growing and growing, to a very powerful epilogue.
If you guys have other questions, feel free to ask!

And I thought the kitchen part was already pretty cool from what I played at conventions, so this is only more encouraging to hear.

If you guys have other questions, feel free to ask!
I have an abstract question but does Six ever talk, even to the monsters or other people? I know the developers said no dialogue and story, but I'm still wondering if Six ever makes comments to herself about the environment or whatever. Or is she completely mute like Sack Boy?

Mdk7

I have an abstract question but does Six ever talk, even to the monsters or other people? I know the developers said no dialogue and story, but I'm still wondering if Six ever makes comments to herself about the environment or whatever. Or is she completely mute like Sack Boy?

No, she doesn't talk. Yet believe me, you will definitely get to know something about her inner nature throughout the game...

Xion86

Yes! Really glad this is getting positive reviews. This was the one game which stood out for me at last years EGX, I loved the look of it straight away.

Good stuff, will be picking this up for sure :)

Steveo

Banned
I'll be honest, I expected a solid buy rating from the body of the review, was surprised by the wait for sale rating at the end of the video.

he basically says he can't recommend the game because of it's length and pricing.

Otherwise he seemed to really enjoy it.

Supersampling @1080p on the Pro?? Please please. Anybody knows?

The game will run at 1080P and 30 FPS on a regular PlayStation 4 console, while the native resolution will be bumped to 1620P (75% of 4K’s 2160P) on PS4 Pro where the frame rate will be close to 60FPS (70% of the time it will be stable at 60FPS, for the remaining 30% it will vary between 50 and 60FPS).

That's all I know.

Roubjon

I know nothing about this game except that awesome trailer they showed and these good review scores. But based on what I'm hearing here, I think I'm going to go in 100% blind. Last time I did that was Journey and that was amazing.

Se_7_eN

Am I the only one who gets sick from this kind of art style?

I don't know what it is really... But this art style makes me feel ill.

This game looked SOO interesting but completely forgot about it. Glad to see it released along with some great reviews. My backlog is ridiculous but i'm definitely picking this up soon :D

Se_7_eN

What else has this art style?

I actually can't think of many off the top of my head, The Fire Fly Diary is probably the closest, but there are a lot of indie horror games that do it to... I think its the dark edges of the screen that do it.

I know it sounds dumb, but for some reason it gets to me.

Poona

Pre-ordered the collectors edition, my wallet can hate me later. I wish there was a normal version since I don't like having collectors editions with statues, but if its the only physical release here then Ill take it.

UK and Australia are getting physical release of both standard and collectors. Strange that US is only getting a collectors edition in physical format.

I'm trying to see a bigger picture of the Six figurine to see if the collector's version is any good or whether I just get a standard copy.

Really ecstatic to hear the positive praise seeping through in the early reviews. After "Gravity Rush 2," "Yakuza 0," and "Nier: Automata" managed to consume about 60 hours of my life for each round, it's finally nice to have something like a dainty bite in comparison to all the meatier meals in the gaming delicatessen, especially with "Horizon" and "Persona 5" still glaring at me from across the counter. Side scrolling platformers reminiscent of "Little Big Planet," like "Puppeteer" for example, didn't exactly light up the sales division so I was partly worried this would be a solid digital exclusive given the short length back when it was still under a working title. I'm still rather surprised Namco opted to roll out the retail carpet for the game, but I'm deeply appreciative of the move as a collector and I wish I found find the creepy arms picture for express my anticipation. Next week can't roll around soon enough! I'll probably pay off my order sometime this evening, too.

Really ecstatic to hear the positive praise seeping through in the early reviews. After "Gravity Rush 2," "Yakuza 0," and "Nier: Automata" managed to consume about 60 hours of my life for each round, it's finally nice to have something like a dainty bite in comparison to all the meatier meals in the gaming delicatessen, especially with "Horizon" and "Persona 5" still glaring at me from across the counter. Side scrolling platformers reminiscent of "Little Big Planet," like "Puppeteer" for example, didn't exactly light up the sasle division so I was partly worried this would be a solid digital exclusive given the short length back when it was still under a working title. I'm still rather surprised Namco opted to roll out the retail carpet for the game, but I'm deeply appreciate of the move as a collector and I wish I found find the creepy arms picture for express my anticipation. Next week can't roll around soon enough! I'll probably pay off my order sometime this evening, too.
Considering the review embargo was up a week before launch (that's big for an indie game) and they're doing a retail push, it seems like they have pretty high expectations. I think Inside being such a hit last year pushed them to go all out with this, since there's clearly an audience who really likes these kinds of games

Qwark

Damn, I've never paid attention to this game, but it looks really good. I need to clear out my backlog though, I'm not gonna get this until I beat Inside or something.

Holy shit. This caught me totally unaware. Guess I know what my immediate next game after Persona is gonna be!

Edit: And the Pro mode targets 60 instead of 30fps! Awesome!

Just preordered the physical edition thanks to the reviews. This wasn't even on my radar previously.

Outlast 2, this, and Prey within a 7-day period. Send more time please.

I actually can't think of many off the top of my head, The Fire Fly Diary is probably the closest, but there are a lot of indie horror games that do it to... I think its the dark edges of the screen that do it.

I know it sounds dumb, but for some reason it gets to me.

I would say it's very similar to LittleBigPlanet's artstyle generally. I think some of the levels that Tasier made for LittleBigPlanet Vita parallel the tone of this game.

Here's an example

gaiV8FR.jpg

LittleBigPlanet Vita was oddly dark compared to other entries in the series. Maybe they were channeling some of their concepts for this game. You can see the Manakins in image above, which are perhaps similar in concept to the puppet like enemies in Little Nightmares.

wouwie

For those who played and reviewed the game, what type of "horror" game is this? Does it rely on jumpscares, is there a lot of violence and stuff? Or is it more like Inside, which i assume isn't considered a horror game?

Jacknapes

Cannot wait for this. It's certainly my bank holiday weekend game. Didn't go for the Six edition, got a physical copy and soundtrack from Shop to instead.

Good to see it's reviewing well :)

I pre-ordered LN the moment it went up on Amazon UK, £13.99 for a a physical copy is peanuts.

For those who played and reviewed the game, what type of "horror" game is this? Does it rely on jumpscares, is there a lot of violence and stuff? Or is it more like Inside, which i assume isn't considered a horror game?
Inside is definitely horror

And the reviews make it sound like the latter
It’s precisely the kind of horror game I love – grotesque but not gross, and interested in thoughtful pacing and escalation rather than jumpscares and shocks.
Little Nightmares is frightening, in a way that gets under your skin. A way that whispers in your ear that you won't sleep well tonight...It was one of the most unsettling experiences of my life.
Little Nightmares is everything you may have loved about LittleBigPlanet thrown into a sausage grinder with everything you may have dreaded in Silent Hill.

benzopil

If first hours of RE7 were scary for you, this is what it feels like. It's much more scary than Inside (and yes, Inside isnt really a horror)

No cheap jumpscares. You just feel uncomfortable most of the time and always expect something bad.

To clarify: I don't mean gore, chainsaws and nasty dead bodies all over the place. I mean helplessness of the main character who visits s creepy place and is afraid to open the next door. At least that's how I remember first hours of RE7.

wouwie

If first hours of RE7 were scary for you, this is what it feels like. It's much more scary than Inside (and yes, Inside isnt really a horror)

No cheap jumpscares. You just feel uncomfortable most of the time and always expect something bad.

Thanks for the answers. I'm not a fan of scary games, especially the jumpscare/violence kind of horror games (which is why i don't play games like Resident Evil or Outlast). I was totally fine with Inside but that was just a bit creepy at times. Hmm... not sure if i would like this one then if it's more like Resident Evil. I thought that the type of gameplay (e.g. no first person camera) and artstyle would make it a lot more tolerable for me but now i'm not so sure anymore. I might check a small gameplay video once it's out to get a better idea.

Mdk7

No jumpscares, I'd say at all.
No gore, no blood, no explicit violence (yet there's a twisted and macabre carnality to it, with meat and the whole theme of hunger being dealt in a way that reminded me of the scary archetype of the ogres from fairy tales, always so voracious and ready to devour the main character).
It's a game that dwells in the grotesque, one that unsettles you with small details like unnerving sounds here and there, deep black shadows where horrible creatures might be lurking, the camera that slightly bends in a contorted way or the absurd proportions of the environments (like when a kid looks up from his small height and sees the furniture inside a room that's far too big and menacing).

It's really pretty incredible in the way it makes you feel lost, vulnerable - after all you're a small girl all alone inside a distorted dimension, armed with a simple lighter that can't even set fire to anything - and just sort of "not in the right place".
So yeah, it's surely horror, but it's not the average horror thing you usually see around, there's quite a unique character to it.

Mdk7

Hmm, I frankly kinda disagree with this. It's not straight up in-your-face like RE7, and it's not based on jumpscares as that.
It's more akin to a creepy dollhouse (kinda like the broken doll in Toy Story, if I had to make a forced comparison?) rather than Resident Evil 7, but it might be subjective at this point.

No jumpscares, I'd say at all.
No gore, no blood, no explicit violence (yet there's a twisted and macabre carnality to it, with meat and the whole theme of hunger being dealt in a way that reminded me of the scary archetype of the ogres from fairy tales, always so voracious and ready to devour the main character).
It's a game that dwells in the grotesque, one that unsettles you with small details like unnerving sounds here and there, deep black shadows where horrible creatures might be lurking, the camera that slightly bends in a contorted way or the absurd proportions of the environments (like when a kid looks up from his small height and sees the furniture inside a room that's far too big and menacing).

It's really pretty incredible in the way it makes you feel lost, vulnerable - after all you're a small girl all alone inside a distorted dimension, armed with a simple lighter that can't even set fire to anything - and just sort of "not in the right place".
So yeah, it's surely horror, but it's not the average horror thing you usually see around, there's quite a unique character to it.
See, this kind of description makes me hard to see how people can say Inside isn't horror. Horror doesnt exclusively mean scaring you. You dont have to be "scared" for something to be horror. Horror can unsettle and disturb; often the best horror is the subtle kind, not making you jump and scream but get a chill when your mind registers what you're seeing or makes you feel uncomfortable when you think about what just happened

ACG has a non-spoiler review up.

Ah, just realised it was already posted. Still, it's a good watch if you want a video without much spoilers.

Top Bottom