• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Grinchy

Banned
anyone else having trouble with the sixaxis turbo overboost thing?

i can make it work like 1 out of 10 times and then only if i REALLY jerk the thing forwards :(

It literally worked every single time for me. I even thought to myself, "Wow, I don't like things getting mapped to the motion inputs, but this one works fantastically."

Maybe I'm just used to using the controller that way from the other PS3 games that used it.

What the fuck... I played the demo yesterday and I could hear a lot of swearing (in Spanish) and I thought it was awesome because swearing is rarely translated properly.

And now I see news of censorship? What exactly is going to be censored? If the PAL version is censored because of Germany and/or Australia, that's dumb as hell.

Waaghals

This seems to be a great game, unfortunately it is a bad demo.

The enemies only targets the players car. This is made apparent when looking at the score screen at the end of a round. Often I find myself doing more damage than all the AIs put together. They don't fight each other, once you enter the area you become the number one target for all of them.

In addition to this the control layout was very unfamiliar to me, but not bad per se.

I am sure this is a exactly what old fans of the series want from the demo, but it could make it difficult to attract new audiences, and Jaffe already said that the normal AI in the final game won't be like this.

tusken77

It literally worked every single time for me. I even thought to myself, "Wow, I don't like things getting mapped to the motion inputs, but this one works fantastically."

Maybe I'm just used to using the controller that way from the other PS3 games that used it.

Yep, it's absolutely fine. Works every time for me. The smallest of flicks, done. You need at least 34% remaining of your boost to do one. Maybe that's why some people are having trouble - shaking the controller not realising it's not available under 34% boost level.

Yep, it's absolutely fine. Works every time for me. The smallest of flicks, done. You need at least 34% remaining of your boost to do one. Maybe that's why some people are having trouble - shaking the controller not realising it's not available under 34% boost level.

Hmm, man I didn't even realize that. I got to the point where I just gave up trying to turbo dash. Maybe now I'll actually pay attention to the meters.

Valnen

Pre-Order from Amazon UK: Cancelled. Shame on you Sony, shame on you. I was really exited with this game, and now i may not even import it from USA. Stupif fucking censhorship. FUUUUUU.

If we never get a twisted metal game again because of the lost sales I will be pissed at gamers as a whole.

The enemies only targets the players car. This is made apparent when looking at the score screen at the end of a round. Often I find myself doing more damage than all the AIs put together. They don't fight each other, once you enter the area you become the number one target for all of them.

Challenge mode = survive and destroy 8 cars. Wouldn't be much a challenge having the other 7 cars destroy each other while you can just chill in the corner, would it?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Probably... ; /

David, could we get some clarification on this? And more importantly, is it possible to import the game from the US if I want to play a non-gimped version here in europe?

Hey- a few things:

1- I DO NOT think it's region locked. In fact, if it is, that's brand new cause I remember thinking, 'No way we can do ranked games all over the world cause of lag' and our amazing net coder was like, 'nope, should be ok'....so I don't THINK that's true. In fact, until you guys mentioned it, it never would have occurred to me that we would be region locked cause as of yesterday, we were not. But again, I only found out yesterday we're slipping in Europe so if you've got a link, send it. Otherwise, worldwide game still on! :)

2-RE CONTENT CUTS A: Well nothing like Black. And come on, you think I wanted to change content? FUCK no- for a bunch of reasons 'fuck no'. But it ain't my game (Sony owns the IP and funded it) and I certain countries have- obviously- much stricter guidelines. AND since TM has never been a big seller outside of America, I guess it didn't make sense to have a whole bunch of different discs for each country (i.e. Germany gets disc ver. 3, UK gets disc ver 6, etc.)

3- RE CONTENT CUTS B: It's not a TM:BLACK style change. 99% of the cuts were in the movies and the movies are still intact and I sat with the editor- who was the same editor of the American movies- and we went thru and addressed the notes from Europe and made sure the stories still worked. And to be fair, there have not been that many cuts. For example, in the scene we've released on the net from the intro- where the girl stabs Tooth in the eye- the SCEE version has this but we cut away right before the scissors make contact with Tooth's face. It's CLEAR what she's doing and I think we even keep the sound effects in and such- but the last few frames are gone. The story itself tho totally works and- for some folks even who tend to think this kinda stuff plays better left to your imagination anyway- perhaps it even works better.

4- RE CONTENT CUT C: Only a few content cuts for the game- for example, I think the guy on the gurney from Meat Wagon is dead so you are exploding a corpse covered with TNT vs. a screaming man trapped to the gurney. Sucks on my end but at the same time, I get it and the game play isn't different and the intent is still there, as is the humor. In some ways, it's actually much more macabre when you think about it. Shooting a dude screaming out the back of an ambulance is pretty stupid and fun and cartoony in a dark, twisted way. Turning a stolen from the morgue CORPSE a missile? A bit more disturbing in some ways...not trying to sell you on it, just thinking outloud.

Anyway, it sucks in that I HATE cuts the original game. At the same time, it's nothing like TMB and players in SCEE territories will be able to play the same game and dive into the same Twisted universe as SCEA players. It's a touch different but I and the team still stand JUST as proudly behind the SCEE versions and are very excited that we'll be able to meet up with TM players the world over online and share the game together.

5- As for delay- yeah, it sucks too. Localization just taking a touch longer. Altho I heard March 1 and someone on this board- I think- is saying March 31?!? Does March even have 31 days?!?! It might...shit, I'm dumb. :) I honestly sit here and can't recall...lessee...no I think March goes to 30, right? ANYWAY point being: I heard March 1 (and I KNOW there's a March 1, dammit!)....are you guys hearing something different?

Ok, heading up to San Francisco (thanks Jimmy B!) for the Twisted Metal community event and multiplayer competition and for the IGN live show- hope to see some of ya'll there tonite or in the IGN audience!

David

NHale

If we never get a twisted metal game again because of the lost sales I will be pissed at gamers as a whole.

Don't blame the consumer that was waiting to buy the game, blame the publisher and/or developer for delaying and cutting content from the game.

Nowadays there is no excuse not to have a worldwide release anymore but announcing it less than 2 weeks before it was supposed to launch is asking for people to cancel their orders and buy another of the good games that are releasing in the next 3-4 weeks.

It's even "funnier" when you take in account that Jaffe wanted Twisted Metal to succeed in Europe. Good luck with that.

jett

D-Member
RE CONTENT CUT C: Only a few content cuts for the game- for example, I think the guy on the gurney from Meat Wagon is dead so you are exploding a corpse covered with TNT vs. a screaming man trapped to the gurney.

Is the demo censored then? The gurney guy doesn't do anything.

V_Ben

Banned
Thanks for coming in and explaining the cuts David. They don't seem nearly as bad as I was expecting them to be, thankfully :)

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Is the demo censored then? The gurney guy doesn't do anything.

Good question: for folks who have downloaded the demo in SCEE territories, is the dude on the gurney animating and screaming when he's fired? If he is, the demo is the same world wide. If he's not moving, well there ya go: you didn't even notice :).

David

I am the one who´s pissed. I´ve been waiting for this game SO LONG. But I dont´t want to be part of this stupid brainless censorship shit. I am a Twisted Metal die hard fan, but i live in a free country ( Spain ) And I don´t want that a bunch of burocrats decide the contents I should or I shouldn´t have in a game.

Hey- a few things:

1- I DO NOT think it's region locked. In fact, if it is, that's brand new cause I remember thinking, 'No way we can do ranked games all over the world cause of lag' and our amazing net coder was like, 'nope, should be ok'....so I don't THINK that's true. In fact, until you guys mentioned it, it never would have occurred to me that we would be region locked cause as of yesterday, we were not. But again, I only found out yesterday we're slipping in Europe so if you've got a link, send it. Otherwise, worldwide game still on! :)

2-RE CONTENT CUTS A: Well nothing like Black. And come on, you think I wanted to change content? FUCK no- for a bunch of reasons 'fuck no'. But it ain't my game (Sony owns the IP and funded it) and I certain countries have- obviously- much stricter guidelines. AND since TM has never been a big seller outside of America, I guess it didn't make sense to have a whole bunch of different discs for each country (i.e. Germany gets disc ver. 3, UK gets disc ver 6, etc.)

3- RE CONTENT CUTS B: It's not a TM:BLACK style change. 99% of the cuts were in the movies and the movies are still intact and I sat with the editor- who was the same editor of the American movies- and we went thru and addressed the notes from Europe and made sure the stories still worked. And to be fair, there have not been that many cuts. For example, in the scene we've released on the net from the intro- where the girl stabs Tooth in the eye- the SCEE version has this but we cut away right before the scissors make contact with Tooth's face. It's CLEAR what she's doing and I think we even keep the sound effects in and such- but the last few frames are gone. The story itself tho totally works and- for some folks even who tend to think this kinda stuff plays better left to your imagination anyway- perhaps it even works better.

4- RE CONTENT CUT C: Only a few content cuts for the game- for example, I think the guy on the gurney from Meat Wagon is dead so you are exploding a corpse covered with TNT vs. a screaming man trapped to the gurney. Sucks on my end but at the same time, I get it and the game play isn't different and the intent is still there, as is the humor. In some ways, it's actually much more macabre when you think about it. Shooting a dude screaming out the back of an ambulance is pretty stupid and fun and cartoony in a dark, twisted way. Turning a stolen from the morgue CORPSE a missile? A bit more disturbing in some ways...not trying to sell you on it, just thinking outloud.

Anyway, it sucks in that I HATE cuts the original game. At the same time, it's nothing like TMB and players in SCEE territories will be able to play the same game and dive into the same Twisted universe as SCEA players. It's a touch different but I and the team still stand JUST as proudly behind the SCEE versions and are very excited that we'll be able to meet up with TM players the world over online and share the game together.

5- As for delay- yeah, it sucks too. Localization just taking a touch longer. Altho I heard March 1 and someone on this board- I think- is saying March 31?!? Does March even have 31 days?!?! It might...shit, I'm dumb. :) I honestly sit here and can't recall...lessee...no I think March goes to 30, right? ANYWAY point being: I heard March 1 (and I KNOW there's a March 1, dammit!)....are you guys hearing something different?

Ok, heading up to San Francisco (thanks Jimmy B!) for the Twisted Metal community event and multiplayer competition and for the IGN live show- hope to see some of ya'll there tonite or in the IGN audience!

David

Thanks for the updates. It's a different culture and I imagine it's hard changing your baby to suit it. I know it sucked about Black, but I can tell you from a country with a high suicide rate and huge mental health issues that sometimes, shit, no matter how awesome it was, might not fly with some people (Boy that was fun downloading low res WMV's from TMAlliance to get the full story). I've been a Euro twisted metal fan since World Tour and it's harsh sometimes to deal with the fact that it's not huge in Europe and we don't get things like Head-On Extra Twisted (We totally dodged a bullet with TM3 & 4 though!) but it's still great we're getting this one mostly as you intended.

Still pre-ordered. Still looking forward to it. Absolutely loving the demo. Thanks for making the game as Twisted as possible.

Have you tried the racing controls? I found that a lot easier to deal with than the default since it's like other car games with the weapons on the face buttons being easy to handle.

Tbh I opted not to try them. Only because I'm not a racing gamer in general. Would love to see a Mario kart style layout, alas there's only the 3 options

AngryMoth

Thanks for the update David. I think part of the reason people freaked out is because Germany often requires pretty major cencorship for some games to get released, so having one version for the EU was quite worrying. While not ideal, I would hope that people won't be put off if the changes are only minor as you say. Having said that, I may still try import a US copy as it does irk me me not seeing things as the developers intended, and the delay kind of seals the deal (I'm very impatient!).

jett

D-Member
I find the "classic" controls the best because you can easily shoot both weapons at the same time. You don't need analog acceleration for this game.

Good question: for folks who have downloaded the demo in SCEE territories, is the dude on the gurney animating and screaming when he's fired? If he is, the demo is the same world wide. If he's not moving, well there ya go: you didn't even notice :).

David

Huhh I have the american demo though. :p

Mikey Jr.

For guys worried about cuts, I know it sucks, but I know someone is going to upload them to youtube.

So you can still watch them uncut on there.

Thanks for the update David. I knew you were not behind the censorship, but I am honestly not used to that crap. I´ll stick with the US imported version. I really like the demo and you guys did a nice job with the game.

EU can't handle the violence!

yeah the european version should have naked people in all those missing frames and it would be a-ok! :D

still a shame about such silly cuts, might cancel the pre-order and just buy the US version to get the directors cut.

Gustav

Banned
yeah the european version should have naked people in all those missing frames and it would be a-ok! :D

still a shame about such silly cuts, might cancel the pre-order and just buy the US version to get the directors cut.

Seeing naked people is part of everyday life. Seeing murderers and sociopaths in action is not.

Denzar

Thanks for the update David. I think part of the reason people freaked out is because Germany often requires pretty major cencorship for some games to get released, so having one version for the EU was quite worrying. While not ideal, I would hope that people won't be put off if the changes are only minor as you say. Having said that, I may still try import a US copy as it does irk me me not seeing things as the developers intended, and the delay kind of seals the deal (I'm very impatient!).

This. I was already pissed off when it happened to TM Black, even though bigger cuts were made back then, and the very thought of the new TM being censored in SCEE territories brings a bitter taste to my mouth.

Buying, and playing the US version will bring me peace of mind. It's stupid, I know, but I want to enjoy this game the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Played the demo yesterday, and got that warm, fuzzy feeling in my belly. TM is back, and I'm loving it.

MadmanUK

David

Thanks for clearing that up, will import.

Also,

Thirty days hath September,
April, June, and November;
All the rest have thirty-one,
Save February, with twenty-eight days clear,
And twenty-nine each leap year.

This. I was already pissed off when it happened to TM Black, even though bigger cuts were made back then, and the very thought of the new TM being censored in SCEE territories brings a bitter taste to my mouth.

Buying, and playing the US version will bring me peace of mind. It's stupid, I know, but I want to enjoy this game the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Played the demo yesterday, and got that warm, fuzzy feeling in my belly. TM is back, and I'm loving it.

Not stupid at all. It's 2012 and the government or corporations still think they should tell you what you can and can't see in something as trivial as a videogame.

Atruvius

Just checked both demos and they're the same version, except PAL version is 200mb bigger. PAL and NA Meat Wagons both have an elderly chap on a gurney.

Murkas

Is the AI supposed to play like that bastard Smash Bros player we all know? You know, the guy who if you blink in his direction will go after you for the rest of the match and ignore all other players, I keep getting sandwiched by like 6 cars at once. I don't remember any TM doing this.

I won't be purchasing this game due to the cuts, on top of the game we also get the cut version of Black? Fuck that. I can use the money to buy a game that is the same everywhere, it's a shame because I actually like the game but I won't support buying cut content.

Zanosuke

Is the AI supposed to play like that bastard Smash Bros player we all know? You know, the guy who if you blink in his direction will go after you for the rest of the match and ignore all other players, I keep getting sandwiched by like 6 cars at once. I don't remember any TM doing this.

I won't be purchasing this game due to the cuts, on top of the game we also get the cut version of Black? Fuck that. I can use the money to buy a game that is the same everywhere, it's a shame because I actually like the game but I won't support buying cut content.

Seems like a shitty reason. It's not like it was Davids decision (see post 1210) and 99 % of it is movie related. Game is fun as hell, isn't that what matters?

Mikey Jr.

Thanks for clearing that up, will import.

Also,

Thirty days hath September,
April, June, and November;
All the rest have thirty-one,
Save February, with twenty-eight days clear,
And twenty-nine each leap year.

I know an easier one.

Put you fists together so the backs of your hands is facing you.

Use the knuckle on your pinky on your left hand as January. Since there is a knuckle there, January has 31 days. The dip next to it is low, so thats February.

It even works for July/August which have 31 days.

I know an easier one.

Put you fists together so the backs of your hands is facing you.

Use the knuckle on your pinky on your left hand as January. Since there is a knuckle there, January has 31 days. The dip next to it is low, so thats February.

It even works for July/August which have 31 days.

I have no idea if i've just been trolled or not o.0

Will probably be importing too if they cut out the cutscenes in the EU version.

Murkas

Seems like a shitty reason. It's not like it was Davids decision (see post 1210) and 99 % of it is movie related. Game is fun as hell, isn't that what matters?

I know it wasn't his decision, that's why I never blamed him. But I can use the money to buy a different game that is fun as hell that isn't cut, doesn't seem like a shitty reason to me.

I may import the US version but last time I imported my details got leaked courtesy of VGP.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does Black come with all new copies or just Amazon's? I know Amazon mentions it and Axel, but Gamestop just mentions Axel for example

Demo was awesome, so much fun. Might have a steep learning curve for some, but after a couple of tries I was a able to win consistently. Will have to import simply because I can't wait the 2 weeks or so delay after looking forward to it last year, so hopefully it is region free, which seems likely.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Hey- a few things:

Snip for length

David

Beat me to it David. Damn my sleeping. So yea people need to not worry. It's not the TMB situation again where the cutscenes are ripped out. Censorship does suck ass though so I feel for David, Scott, and the team for having to censor it. Also I've not seen a damn ting saying it's region locked. I think some people just pulled that out their asses. Now if I remember you guys mentioned that the demo is region locked but that the retail wouldn't be.

Does Black come with all new copies or just Amazon's? I know Amazon mentions it and Axel, but Gamestop just mentions Axel for example

It's all of them and not just Amazon. All of the first run of the game come with the TMB code. The American copies are the American version. The European copies contain the edited version of TMB. Just so you know.

Top Bottom