• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler's art style is a must for future Remakes.

Granjinha

Sorry, I'll take this.
2ff35b94-2831-45ee-8992-30cc3f824b85.jpg

like that will actually come out in less than ten years

edit: whoops hot take on the first post of a new page

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This game looks...off to me. So, I can't agree. I don't see what is so "HD" about this. I wish I could explain it better. Maybe it'll be nicer on the hardware itself.

Joe T.

I would definitely get behind that idea. Project Octopath was probably the most interesting looking game to me out of the Switch presentation today.

Radnom

Hm, neither of those games look that appealing to me. I think Octopath would look nicer if it were either strict 2D pixel art or if they just dropped the pixels shtick entirely but kept the 2D/3D vibe. That Secret of Mana remake on the other hand just looks bland to me.

orioto

Good Art™
No, just no. It's gimmicky as fuck. Putting 90's sprite in ugly 3d backgrounds with a ton of post process bloom / light / black shadow everywhee is not "HD2D".

And HD2D exists actually you know, it's 2D, with HD assets lol.

JP

Maybe for remakes of Project Octopath Traveler.

They work well for this game but they're certainly not what I'd want to see in most remakes.

deadfolk

I dunno about everything, but the first thing I thought was that I'd love to see a Chrono Trigger remake like this.

PsionBolt

The pixel art is great. Everything else is kinda terrible. And fancy lighting (slash post-processing of all sorts, really) simply does not belong on pixel art, ever.

It's like they took the worst part of the "mid-tier PS1 / PSP JRPG" aesthetic and added the worst part of the "mid-tier 360 Unreal" aesthetic.

Soar

Haha no that would be sad, it's like saying all action rpgs now must look like Dark Souls. Variety is life. Also prefer bravely default's visuals.

I'm excited to play both Secret of Mana and Project Octopath Traveler, but I wouldn't want both of them to look the same. I enjoy the variety.

Octopath is beautiful but I definitely don't see it at the only option.

An HD version of Bravely Default's art style would be beautiful too!

guyssorry

Agreed. I was slightly warming up to the Secret of Mana remake's look, but seeing all of this Octopath art and in-game motion made me go back to disliking it. Such a shame

Opa-Pa

100% agree, but the groups of savages who hate pixel art because it's supposedly archaic won't let it happen.

KarmaCow

Well that's a false dichotomy. We could have the great pixel art without the awful early 00s overuse of bloom and depth of field.

Granjinha

100% agree, but the groups of savages who hate pixel art because it's supposedly archaic won't let it happen.

or maybe because not every game should follow the same visual pattern? this artstyle wouldn't gel well with a lot of games.

i say that as someone who fucking loves pixel art.

but keep on fighting the good fight!

Saw someone mention on Twitter if people think this style would work for FF6 and just imagining it made me instantly want it.

This art style is fantastic and yeah I'd love to see this over crap like the SoM remake art style.

Final Fantasy VI should be remade in this engine.

Also every other classic Final Fantasys. As well as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3.

All of them

Burbeting

Banned
The backgrounds look gorgeous, even better than in Bravely Default. But I'm not sold on the character sprites. They are just too pixelated.

silva1991

Hell no it looks hideous. Characters look out of place and wrong in that world looking at the trailer.

SoM doesn't look so hot wither, but I'll take it over Octopath anytime.

Top Bottom