• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 360 revision with 1TB of storage coming soon to a Hut near you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xabora

Update: NeoGaf -> Internet -> NeoGaf

Today I ran across some information.
However I do live in an area with a good deal of employees/contractors from a rather large corporation and have worked with some of them in my past.

So lets start off with some of the info I was given starting with the 360 in general.
From what I was told during a conversation;
Microsoft seems to be slimming the system down to a 'Wii-like' size. (A Fat overweight Wii )
This model should have the CPU+GPU Combo Dye with the E-DRAM off to the side.
Thats all the information I have on that.

Now I'm not 100% sure on this so do not get hyped up, but speculated release is Late Winter 2008ish?
Side note, ATI/AMD has been working on a CPU/GPU Combo dye for sometime. LINK

As for the Xbox,
The model after the currently existing Xenon/360... that is expected to have a Blu-Ray Drive?, 1TB HDD, and a Quad-Core CPU.
(Considering its still early these are most likely to change.)
They also mentioned the spec sheet for the console was leaked. ?

Lastly, the handheld xbox-like device. As far as I know its considered a "Pie-in-the-sky".

Again, I would like to mention, please take this with a grain of salt.

Proelite

Xabora said:
As requested via a mod this thread is to be labeled as a Rumor, so please take it like that.

However I do live in an area with a good deal of employees/contractors from a rather large corporwww.microsoft.comation and have worked with some of them in my past.

So lets start off with some of the info I was given starting with the 360 in general.
Microsoft seems to be slimming the system down to a 'Wii-like' size. (A Fat overweight Wii :lol)

Now I'm not 100% sure on this so do not get hyped up, but speculated release is Late Winter 2008ish?

As for the Xbox,
The model after the currently existing Xenon/360... that is expected to have a Blu-Ray Drive?, 1TB HDD, and a Quad-Core CPU.

Lastly, the handheld xbox-like device. As far as I know its considered a "Pie-in-the-sky".

1TB HDD is definitely not going to be there.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
This kid down the street has this uncle, who works at Bungie, and he told me Halo 4 will be a Wii exclusive mini game collection.

Mods asked me to label this post as a rumor though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
1TB is a bit expensive still, even to put into a console... unless they plan at launching at $500+...

soco

there's no need for 1TB. that's just silly as is adding an extra core. this sounds like an xbox fanboy's daydream on the ign forums or something.

1TB for the console after 360? I wouldn't expect to see it for 2 or 3 years so that's entirely possible. At this stage of development they're only predicting, and the size of the HDD is the most flexible of all their components. 1TB is looking towards a time when all content is purchased digitally.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
If MS's goal is to move towards a mass market price, I don't think 1TB HDDs and BD drives are the way to do it... and forgive me for being skeptical about a Wii sized 360. The power brick on the current system is bigger than the Wii.

theBishop

Banned
Xabora said:
As requested via a mod this thread is to be labeled as a Rumor, so please take it like that.

However I do live in an area with a good deal of employees/contractors from a rather large corporwww.microsoft.comation and have worked with some of them in my past.

Microsoft seems to be slimming the system down to a 'Wii-like' size. (A Fat overweight Wii :lol)

As for the Xbox,
Speculative Date is considered 2010~.

A slim 360 would be welcome (so long as the power supply is also slim). Built-in Wifi please.

No thanks on the media tank edition. I'd be interested in seeing what they can do with a handheld, but the Zune does not instill confidence.

Xabora

theBishop said:
A slim 360 would be welcome (so long as the power supply is also slim). Built-in Wifi please.

No thanks on the media tank edition. I'd be interested in seeing what they can do with a handheld, but the Zune does not instill confidence.
The "Media Tank"

Is not Xbox 360+ its the NEXT Xbox... not just a new Xbox 360 with a new code name + fancy labeling.

theBishop

Banned
Xabora said:
The "Media Tank"

Is not Xbox 360+ its literally the NEXT Xbox... not just a new Xbox 360 with a new code name + fancy labeling.

Meh. I'm not buying another game console before 2013. The current crop still have a lot to prove.

itsgreen

That 360 shrink down thing is almost a known fact.

It has been on the roadmaps for quite some time that xenos and xenon will be integrated into one die.

For next xbox my money is on a 500gb rather than 1tb, they will go for the cheapest available disk in 2011, which will be 500gb (lower gb will be available, but will be nearly the same price).

Also I expect the next xbox to have the same architecture as the current one, but with more cores, 9 or so and higher mhz, most likely a little higher, 3.6 or something (in comparison to todays 3.2ghz).

That way there wont be any compatibility issues with 360. Or they could sucker punch me with that new rumoured intel processor (http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/12/14/intel-talking-to-console-vendors.aspx) and include a new 32nm(?) xenon-xenos core.

MS doesn't need to slim down the console to a "Wii like" size. Thats only going to open up another can of worms with more RRoD.

Blu ray drive is maybe. I wouldn't place any bets on it.

1TB HDD is ROFL MY WAFFLES

Quad core CPU? Not a chance.

MS handheld video game device? I doubt that MS is going into the handheld business. If Sony failed then MS doesn't stand a chance. Handheld is Nintendo's stronghold and ultimately their realm. Nintendo DS2 is going to pretty much dominate the market.

itsgreen

domokunrox said:
MS handheld video game device? I doubt that MS is going into the handheld business. If Sony failed then MS doesn't stand a chance. Handheld is Nintendo's stronghold and ultimately their realm. Nintendo DS2 is going to pretty much dominate the market.

My thoughts. Why would they battle for that hardly contested space where software sales suck and they already have their own mobile games platform in Zune and Windows Mobile (7 (2008)/8 (2009+))

And for the record I don't think PSP failed. It's just a story of DS doing way better. That doesn't mean the PSP is doing bad...

Raistlin

People are jumping all over the TB drive ...

... can someone explain why the 360 would need a quad-core CPU? That makes even less sense.

The only reason to do something like that is if they wanted to dramatically expand what the in-game blades can offer (ie, offer everything). However, that would only work if you also combined the extra core with extra RAM.

So yeah, no.

theBishop

Banned
domokunrox said:
MS doesn't need to slim down the console to a "Wii like" size. Thats only going to open up another can of worms with more RRoD.

I'd still like to see it.

Blu ray drive is maybe. I wouldn't place any bets on it.

OP says its the next-box. Makes sense there, otherwise, its a waste of money.

1TB HDD is ROFL MY WAFFLES

i no rite?!

Quad core CPU? Not a chance.

Seems a little underpowered for the next-gen when 360 is tri-cored.

Sony failed? Microsoft's PDA/mobile software is some of the company's best work. If the hardware was right, they could probably make a nice system.

Inspirius

Of course if they plan on using digital distribution as well as blu-ray with the next xbox then a 1TB drive wouldn't be unreasonable.

Manager

Today the price difference between 50gb and 500 gb isn't much, so why wouldn't 1tb be possible in ~2011?
Also, they could be going Steam/downloadable games, and with games today being ~15gb on PS3, a couple of hundred gb should be possible.
Not that I think the rumour must be true, but 1 tb on a console with downloadable games in 2011 doesn't sound *impossible* to me. Specially not after the whole $100 harddrive Accessories thingy that people are angered with, MS might just want to put an internal one from the start and make it big.

itsgreen said:
For next xbox my money is on a 500gb rather than 1tb, they will go for the cheapest available disk in 2011, which will be 500gb (lower gb will be available, but will be nearly the same price).

That's almost the case today, it's like a $20 difference between 250 and 750gb in Samsung's new line.

Raistlin

radioheadrule83 said:
Could be a proper successor. Although I hope not, I havent even got a 360 yet.

Oh ... this is supposed to be the 720? :lol I thought it was an elite 360 model.

In that case, this is even more laughable.

Onix said:
Oh ... this is supposed to be the 720? :lol I thought it was an elite 360 model.

In that case, this is even more laughable.

More? A hard drive I bought two years ago for $200 I bought one for 25% bigger for $60. It makes more sense for the 1080.

ampere

Nino said:
This kid down the street has this uncle, who works at Bungie, and he told me Halo 4 will be a Wii exclusive mini game collection.

Mods asked me to label this post as a rumor though.
:lol
This is pretty much how reliable the OPs information seems.

Raistlin

BenjaminBirdie said:
More? A hard drive I bought two years ago for $200 I bought one for 25% bigger for $60. It makes more sense for the 1080.

I'm not referring to the HDD necessarily.

Not sure how I feel about the 2010 timeline for a successor, and a quadcore CPU isn't really what I'd expect next gen.

itsgreen

BenjaminBirdie said:

Thats still 30 bucks more than a hard drive should cost in a console developers point of view...

theBishop

Banned
1TB is kind of ludicrous. SSD is likely to replace HDD over the next few years, and scale will drive the price down below our magnetic spinning platters. The same way LCD technology is cheaper than CRT, SSD will one day be cheaper than HDD. But I don't believe 1TB of SSD will be cost effective by the time the nextbox comes out.

Even a 20GB HDD (a pittance by PC standards) adds a significant cost to mass production because it has moving parts.

If they built that today, even using mass parts that would cost a fortune

300$ - 1TB
200$ - BD drive
200$ - Quad CPU
$ - GFX card
....other shiz
fifteen hundred and ninety nine dollars! Giant enemy lobsters. FORZAAAAAAAAAAA MOTORSPORRRRRTT.

I think next gen will come later than the 5 year gap. If you think about it we've already hit 4 years

also if a 20GB hdd is $100+ and a 120GB is $230 I'm afraid to ask what the elite 2TB drive upgrade will cost. :lol

theBishop said:
1TB is kind of ludicrous. SSD is likely to replace HDD over the next few years, and scale will drive the price down below our magnetic spinning platters. The same way LCD technology is cheaper than CRT, SSD will one day be cheaper than HDD. But I don't believe 1TB of SSD will be cost effective by the time the nextbox comes out.

I want them to hurry and drop in price. solid state drives are :leet:

theBishop

Banned
Tiduz said:
only 4 cores?
psht. 8 core CPUs are hitting this year.

cell.jpg

i keed

Xabora said:
Prolly for the dev box imo

What? We have a tri core cpu in the 360 now.

:lol :lol

Yea, people talk about it like it's so impossible. How soon people forget the 360 has 3 cores. It may not be anywhere near as powerful as a Quad Core CPU that we have on the PC today, despite being one core short, but a Quad Core next gen Xbox isn't really out there in terms of wild guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom