• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosseyes

Banned
Um. So. Been playing for around 70-90 hours now and my wife decided to make a character.

Today I go to continue mine and find two profiles of her character and my lvl 90 one gone.

Anyone else know what could have happened?

Um. So. Been playing for around 70-90 hours now and my wife decided to make a character.

Today I go to continue mine and find two profiles of her character and my lvl 90 one gone.

Anyone else know what could have happened?

Not sure. But make sure you log in with your PSN account.

If that doesn't work, if you have PSN Plus then you can download your cloud save from the night before to restore things.

ironmang

lol fighting that guy in the red in the dojo on section 3. wish they turned down his aggression just like a tiny bit or at least made stamina a concern for him. feels less like a fight and more like him relentlessly chasing me down.

inb4 "it's not hard i did it with a broken dagger at lvl1"

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Uh huh... if you say so...
Come on, it does it's own thing....But there's more differences between GTA games than Souls & Nioh
If you played a souls game you probably know most of the game mechanics and know what almost all items do aswell.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
lol fighting that guy in the red in the dojo on section 3. wish they turned down his aggression just like a tiny bit or at least made stamina a concern for him. feels less like a fight and more like him relentlessly chasing me down.

He is pretty damn relentless to be fair. Dude outpaced me so bad in combat the first time I faced him lol.

hyp

haha holy shit. accidentally ran into hello kitty while playing remotely on my vita and somehow smacked him down. broke a sweat with that one, whew!

Crosseyes

Banned
Not sure. But make sure you log in with your PSN account.

If that doesn't work, if you have PSN Plus then you can download your cloud save from the night before to restore things.
We only have the one PSN account we've played on. I've been playing for a while and for her we hit new game and the two different character slots have been there before for her save and mine.

Today now they've both been overwritten as her character with saves about 2 minutes apart.

Cloud data appears to have data from the 10th but that's still hours of my game and every last minute of my wife's character gone.

Any tips on heir to the NioH sub mission??

Okay, you need to be more specific. Because if not, then basic tips:

Let enemy act first, you then react to their action.

Don't get greedy, get your hits and back away.

Sprint away from enemies, don't mash dodge to create space.

Utilize items, magic and ninjitsu. Don't ignore those things.

Lure enemies, via arrows/bullets/stones/ninjitsu.

Equip gear that has sense enemies abilities to prevent ambushes.

Going through your gear can be annoying, but do make sure you make an effort to equip the best stuff.

Mix up your stances. Higher stances do more enemy ki damage. Just don't be a low / mid stance warrior.

Press the option button to get clarification on what terms and terminologies mean in regards to weapons/armor.

On certain missions, you may hear a background chanting noise. That's because there is this guy (who looks like he's playing a lute) that's summoning revanents. Be sure to kill him to stop them from happening. Often times sniping works best.

Go to Torii gate, and random encounter to help others. This is a good way to gear farm, learn enemies/bosses, and most importantly, improve your own play skills. Not to mention you might be doing somebody else a favor.

We only have the one PSN account we've played on. I've been playing for a while and for her we hit new game and the two different character slots have been there before for her save and mine.

Today now they've both been overwritten as her character with saves about 2 minutes apart.

Cloud data appears to have data from the 10th but that's still hours of my game and every last minute of my wife's character gone.

I'm not sure. Your backup save may be the best choice your have. And I take it your wife probably didn't even get that far to begin with. Unless there is something I can't think of, that might be your best option.

It's best to have separate accounts for each person using your PS4. To avoid things like this.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
So, that's Nue down and fake Tachibana taken down, then real Tachibana ahows up and yeah that's about as much fun as hammering nails in with your forehead.

I suspected it would happen and it eventually did: I moved onto the next area and after ten minutes inside another uninspired cave level with - you guessed it - pick axe Yokai and the occasional Oni, I shrugged, switched the game off, deleted the save and breathed a sigh of relief.

Somewhere in there is a good game with solid mechanics and excellent character design, but each sweet nugget is buried beneath a stinking handful of bullshit that ultimately just isn't worth choking down.

Some are bound to argue that the difficulty makes the pay-off worthwhile and sure, in other games, I'd agree but not here. I walked away from each boss victory unable to decide if I'd actually risen to the challenge or just gotten lucky. Overwhelmingly though, the feeling was more of a 'thank fuck that's over' than a sense of reward.

The game's best parts are the levels themselves but the design, layout and art direction absolutely pale into comparison to other contemporaries, not to mention the essential brevity of each one.

The final short-coming is the overall presentation: a technically unimpressive showcase but for its lightning-fast load times, that despite the relatively small size of its environments, simplistic geometry and lack of post processing or other high-end effects is forced to half the native resolution in order to deliver a stable 60fps.

Honestly, looking at what's on display and comparing to other it's other games on the market, the compromises are genuinely hard to fathom.

Anyway, that's my mini review. I gave it a decent shot, but this one just isn't for me.

JPS Kai

Okay, you need to be more specific. Because if not, then basic tips:

Let enemy act first, you then react to their action.

Don't get greedy, get your hits and back away.

Sprint away from enemies, don't mash dodge to create space.

Utilize items, magic and ninjitsu. Don't ignore those things.

Lure enemies, via arrows/bullets/stones/ninjitsu.

Equip gear that has sense enemies abilities to prevent ambushes.

Going through your gear can be annoying, but do make sure you make an effort to equip the best stuff.

Mix up your stances. Higher stances do more enemy ki damage. Just don't be a low / mid stance warrior.

Press the option button to get clarification on what terms and terminologies mean in regards to weapons/armor.

On certain missions, you may hear a background chanting noise. That's because there is this guy (who looks like he's playing a lute) that's summoning revanents. Be sure to kill him to stop them from happening. Often times sniping works best.

Go to Torii gate, and random encounter to help others. This is a good way to gear farm, learn enemies/bosses, and most importantly, improve your own play skills. Not to mention you might be doing somebody else a favor.

These are all really good tips, but they're asking about a specific mission: Heir to the NiOh.

For the boss at the end, get a lightning weapon and/or Sloth Talismans.

Blobs will go down via fire.

Crosseyes

Banned
I'm not sure. Your backup save may be the best choice your have. And I take it your wife probably didn't even get that far to begin with. Unless there is something I can't think of, that might be your best option.

It's best to have separate accounts for each person using your PS4. To avoid things like this.
Seems like we can recover my save and hers remained intact during the cloud download. So she's alright but I lost my progress from the 6th region back to the 4th.

So just a heads-up for anyone who wants to set up multiple save files for characters. Some bug overwrote one character's save for us with a duplicate of another character.

Jesus, the OCD I'm getting to collect all Kodama is insane.

You have kodama sense?

Also, as a side note: I'm taking off enemy sense. It's a nice perk but it's on crappy gear otherwise, and - in a sense, it's like spoiling the level for me. Half the fun in these types of games is enemy location, and enemy sense kind of just ruins that. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Izuna

Banned
ZACKKK!!!!

tumblr_nfia0aeQfU1s82ar1o2_r1_500.gif

N° 2048

You have kodama sense?

Also, as a side note: I'm taking off enemy sense. It's a nice perk but it's on crappy gear otherwise, and - in a sense, it's like spoiling the level for me. Half the fun in these types of games is enemy location, and enemy sense kind of just ruins that. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I do, it's just that I can't move on unless I get em all -.-
My brain.

So, that's Nue down and fake Tachibana taken down, then real Tachibana ahows up and yeah that's about as much fun as hammering nails in with your forehead.

I suspected it would happen and it eventually did: I moved onto the next area and after ten minutes inside another uninspired cave level with - you guessed it - pick axe Yokai and the occasional Oni, I shrugged, switched the game off, deleted the save and breathed a sigh of relief.

[here is where you start your mini-review]

No, you really didn't give it a decent shot as you say. Your "progress" of not even finishing the first area is not making any progress especially when you consider the length and diversity of the environments and missions. This game has more boss fights than many other action games have regular enemies.

The levels expand significantly as you go on. Each new main mission I do is better than the last. (just finished the ice stage) As you level up, you begin to unlock magic and ninjitsu that makes things easier, in addition to diversifying your play strategy. Btw, you walking away from a boss thinking you got lucky is all on you for not being able to properly read visual and auditory tells from bosses and enlist strategies based on them from what you learn. People on this forum aren't doing no-damage run throughs against boss encounters because 'they are getting lucky." They are doing it because they are utilizing skills they have learned, as well as leveraging the game's various RPG mechanics. The game really clicked for me starting in region 2. You should at least go on to that, before you do a review of the game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that many of the missions in region 2 on onward have a sort of 'thing' to them. The fact that one mission's boss can be reached in 15 minutes or if you want to "light all the bonfires" and complete the level in it's entirety than the mission level time can extend all the way to an hour plus is absolutely fantastic in terms of level design.

gdt

Can someone explain reforging? I just lost earth damage on a weapon because I'm doing something wrong here. I just wanna mess around and raise elemental damage.

IvorB

Come on, it does it's own thing....But there's more differences between GTA games than Souls & Nioh
If you played a souls game you probably know most of the game mechanics and know what almost all items do aswell.

But it's not as much a Souls game as BloodBorne which is by the same dev and known to part of the same series. BB is 100% souls so saying this is the same is plainly wrong.

I'm not denying the Souls influence and mechanics are there. But it actually has way more resemblance to Toukiden:

Mitama (I think) = living spirit
Self contained levels that you travel to that are sometimes remixed and reused.
Same mythology with Yokai, Oni etc
Pretty much the same weapons
Strong emphasis on crafting
Pretty sure even the art style for the maps and illustrations is the same or similar

Which makes sense seeing as they are from the same dev house.

For Souls you've got:
Levelling system
Shrines = bonfires but that is tenuous considering Ninja Gaiden has shrines also.
???

Maybe people are just prone to exaggeration at the moment but saying the two games are as similar as GTA V and GTA IV is also pretty crazy to be honest...

Edit: Another one for Toukiden: an explicit story with cut scenes, narrative etc.

Izuna

Banned
I thought I'd reroll 3 of my less important stats on the Raikiri but I never got rolls that even compared. ;/

And now all the money is gone. YAY

Nevermind, there's no more content. What. A. Game.

Finished it all at LV170

I thought I'd reroll 3 of my less important stats on the Raikiri but I never got rolls that even compared. ;/

Finished it all at LV170

Congrats Izuna, What score would you give it? Nevermind already saw.

Darkman M

Finished it all at LV170

What's your save log time look like?

Izuna

Banned
Ends after NG+?

Study procrastination and ignoring a girlfriend.

Congrats Izuna, What score would you give it?

Thinking back, I can't say this game deserves a 15/10. It's 14/10 at best because I couldn't be Kunoichi...

Hopefully, Team Ninja stop being lazy and fix this serious issue.

--

It was a blast from beginning to end. It had its insta death gimmicks (Souls), patient action gameplay (NGB), and a really fun loot system and end-game (Diablo).

I swear to god, this game has done something to my Xbone controller:

qdeUb3e.jpg

What's your save log time look like?

I've legit kept the game running since I've turned it on outside of resets, so it's 87 hours.
(and by that, I mean it's been counting while I slept or did anything else. I estimate my actual playtime to about 35 hours, though)

wait it's been a week?!

silva1991

Just beat the game. Holy shit what an amazing final level and glorious final boss

Last time I fought Orochi was in Okami

latest

I won't play replay it anytime soon, because I'm a bit burnt out, but when I do I will respec to use the damn spear for sure.

Yet another fantastic game this year. Horizon Zero Dawn can't come fast enough.

Izuna

Banned
Just beat the game. Holy shit what an amazing final level and glorious final boss

Last time I fought Orochi was in Okami

latest

I won't play replay it anytime soon, because I'm a bit burnt out, but when I do I will respec to use the damn spear for sure.

Yet another fantastic game this year. Horizon Zero Dawn can't come fast enough.

did you
click the boat?

--

guess who is such a scrub with the PS4, he accidentally deleted the game instead of closing it...

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
No, you really didn't give it a decent shot as you say. Your "progress" of not even finishing the first area is not making any progress especially when you consider the length and diversity of the environments and missions. This game has more boss fights than many other action games have regular enemies.

The levels expand significantly as you go on. Each new main mission I do is better than the last. (just finished the ice stage) As you level up, you begin to unlock magic and ninjitsu that makes things easier, in addition to diversifying your play strategy. Btw, you walking away from a boss thinking you got lucky is all on you for not being able to properly read visual and auditory tells from bosses and enlist strategies based on them from what you learn. People on this forum aren't doing no-damage run throughs against boss encounters because 'they are getting lucky." They are doing it because they are utilizing skills they have learned, as well as leveraging the game's various RPG mechanics. The game really clicked for me starting in region 2. You should at least go on to that, before you do a review of the game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that many of the missions in region 2 on onward have a sort of 'thing' to them. The fact that one mission's boss can be reached in 15 minutes or if you want to "light all the bonfires" and complete the level in it's entirety than the mission level time can extend all the way to an hour plus is absolutely fantastic in terms of level design.

I'm glad it clicked for you and that you're having fun, but if I give a game around twenty hours of my time (because I too took the time to rinse each stage and sub missions before moving on) it better have hooked me in by then.

If I reach area two and instead of it drawing me in with new environments and enemies, it drops me into another cave with more of the same enemies, that's on the designers, not me.

Reading animations? I platinumed Bloodborne okay and completed all the ball-breaking DLC bosses solo (on NG+2, no less) without once turning off the game in anger. So no, if I can muster the patience and skill to do that, the 'git gud' argument doesn't apply.

The game had four environments and eight or nine missions to win my heart. What it did was bore me with flat level design, repetitive enemies and an incoherent narrative and frustrate me with ball-breaking difficulty spikes and endless inventory management.

silva1991

did you
click the boat?

--

guess who is such a scrub with the PS4, he accidentally deleted the game instead of closing it...

I didn't. Went
straight to kelly.

It's ok I accidentally deleted Dark Souls 3 twice last year instead of closing it lol.

And my internet speed is slow...

3rd region endboss & FFXV chapter 9 spoilers:

Cat death gave me more feels than Luna's death. #truestory

lol.

In the last sub mission for region two I found out tha there are even weak floorboards you can destroy. Weak walls for hidden secrets is one thing but goddamn at weak floors for secrets lol.

is he harder than old Tachi?

I'm glad it clicked for you and that you're having fun, but if I give a game around twenty hours of my time (because I too took the time to rinse each stage and sub missions before moving on) it better have hooked me in by then.

If I reach area two and instead of it drawing me in with new environments and enemies, it drops me into another cave with more of the same enemies, that's on the designers, not me.

Reading animations? I platinumed Bloodborne okay and completed all the ball-breaking DLC bosses solo (on NG+2, no less) without once turning off the game in anger. So no, if I can muster the patience and skill to do that, the 'git gud' argument doesn't apply.

The game had four environments and eight or nine missions to win my heart. What it did was bore me with flat level design, repetitive enemies and an incoherent narrative and frustrate me with ball-breaking difficulty spikes and endless inventory management.

While the game visual design is a bit lacking, compared to souls series and enemy variety is definetly one of the lower points of the game. They seem such petty reasons to stop playing a game, specially if you enjoy the combat. (The narrative sure is lacking, but the game has like 10 minutes of cutscenes in like 70h of gameplay, is such a non-issue...)

Level design is fine, most souls game level design is flat too (I guess you mean no verticality?) and later levels in Nioh offers some cool layouts.

One thing is to expect a souls-like experience and another thing expect an exact copy of the series. If you want more souls game, there's a DLC incoming. Meanwhile I recommend you to be ready to not play another souls game in years, and not finding exact copy-paste games to fill the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom