• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Space Harrier coming to 3DS

Holy shit there are so many games that would work wonders with a 3D treatment.

Space Harrier, After Burner, Outrun, Super Hang-on, Super Thunderblade, etc.

Hype.

Super Hang-On is fantastic in 3D on PS3, so I hope they bring over all their titles that use similar graphics. I will definitely be picking up Space Harrier.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
yesssssssssssss yessssssssssss syessssssssssssssssssssssssssss woooo, geady ready!! (might be confusing that with after burner, but wth wooo yeah)

Wow, I can't believe this many people are excited for Space Harrier! Sometimes I've felt like I'm the only one (other than S0L of Sumo Digital fame) that loves it. Played the Master System one to death growing up. If I still had my 3DS I'd be all over this!

rjc571

Banned
Landstalker 3D next would be awesome.

I've been saying this ever since the 3DS came out. Isometric action games pretty much suck when played in 2D since you can never be sure where things are in relation to each other, but in 3D the game might not be so frustratingly annoying. Unortunately, I'm pretty sure Climax Entertainment owns the rights to the property, and I don't think they've actually done anything in years (how the hell are they still in business?)

Frogacuda

Banned
This would be awesome if it was on a system capable of displaying more than an inch and a half of depth.

As it stands, the 3DS can go fuck itself for anything with a horizon-line view.

Frogacuda

Banned
Also, I think the bigger story here is Sega bringing the Sega Ages series to the PS3. Some of the later releases were awesome.

If they do Fantasy Zone Complete Collection, I'm going to have to double dip. It is, without a doubt, the best retro compilation disk ever, thanks in no small part to the utterly brilliant alternat-reality 1986 remake of Fantasy Zone II that is maybe the best thing in the series.

dankir

Was Planet Harriers ever released on Dreamcast? I remember getting super hyped for it and then never found it out they ever ported it from Arcades.

gryz

Banned
they need to add the Bayonetta remix of the space harrier theme

Not super scaler or anything, but I would love to see a 3D remake of Bonanza Bros.

Had so much fun with this in the arcade.

2ylwbrb.gif

Also, I think the bigger story here is Sega bringing the Sega Ages series to the PS3. Some of the later releases were awesome.
This isn't news, Sega Ages PS2 Classics started during the summer. Space Harrier Complete Collection is actually the 5th one, being preceeded by (in order) Dragon Force, Dynamite Dekka, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box and Sega Memorial Collection.

Shion

I wouldn't even wait THAT long if they announced a 3D-classics Phantasy Star.
English versions of Phantasy Star Generation 1+2 on the eshop.

I'd buy a 3DS for this lol.

I've been saying this ever since the 3DS came out. Isometric action games pretty much suck when played in 2D since you can never be sure where things are in relation to each other, but in 3D the game might not be so frustratingly annoying. Unortunately, I'm pretty sure Climax Entertainment owns the rights to the property, and I don't think they've actually done anything in years (how the hell are they still in business?)
They should revive that PSP remake they were working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS76n7eg7Y

yankee666

Great News!!!! i Love this game.

Now th egreatest news is that SEGA is going to release more 3D classics, now i can dream of some games to get this treatment like:

STREETS OF RAGE (trilogy)
OUT RUN
AFTERBURNER
SUPER HANG ON
GOLDEN AXE
just to name a few

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I still have my SMS and the 3-D carts of Space Harrier, Zaxxon, Missile Defense, and Maze Hunter. My glasses broke though.

Maze Hunter in particular would be a great game to re-release on the 3DS.

Just reposting my last post just showing screens of other potential candidates, the shots were from hg101, and didn't show when I| was on another computer, leading me to believe they don't allow hotlinking.

Here are some other classic arcade Sega goodies:

ifwpQFUG88gfr.png

ibeT46ulote6i2.png

ibjJRHFui5RWyD.png

All the arcade originals, only Outrun of these had a 3D SMS version. Didn't see one for Afterburner.

And here's the original ARC Space Harrier to compare:

ibbzwiI1gqvXnG.png

NsBQV.jpg

Luigiv

Even more unfortunately, you can't 3d convert an isometric perspective in the first place. No vanishing points means 3D just wouldn't work right.

mclem

Just reposting my last post just showing screens of other potential candidates, the shots were from hg101, and didn't show when I| was on another computer, leading me to believe they don't allow hotlinking.

And here's the original ARC Space Harrier to compare:

ibbzwiI1gqvXnG.png

NsBQV.jpg

Wait.

It's been a while - a long while - but isn't the two-headed dragon from Space Harrier *II*?

Hobby

Release date set for 12/26, 600 yen.

Includes a "moving cabinet" mode that replicates being inside an arcade cabinet and makes the screen adjust to the player's movement (screens demonstrating this below). Also features environmental sound settings that were used in Space Harrier's cabinet. Supports d-pad, circlepad, and the touchscreen for controls. Harrier movement range has 3 stages to it that can be adjusted. B button set to rapid fire shot. Input 3 credits for consecutive play. Can select stages after playing them once. Includes a time trial mode where lives don't decrease for 60 seconds after starting. Supports savestates. Can save 1 replay, as well.

ybAIw.jpg

KMlPG.jpg

cDq4T.jpg

38XzD.jpg

More screens at the link, including some screens of the settings menu:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20121219_579344.html

gunstarhero

Release date set for 12/26, 600 yen.

Includes a "moving cabinet" mode that replicates being inside an arcade cabinet and makes the screen adjust to the player's movement (screens demonstrating this below). Also features environmental sound settings that were used in Space Harrier's cabinet. Supports d-pad, circlepad, and the touchscreen for controls. Harrier movement range has 3 stages to it that can be adjusted. B button set to rapid fire shot. Input 3 credits for consecutive play. Can select stages after playing them once. Includes a time trial mode where lives don't decrease for 60 seconds after starting. Supports savestates. Can save 1 replay, as well.

More screens at the link, including some screens of the settings menu:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20121219_579344.html

Good god - i just shat my pants.

OmegaZero

That "moving cabinet" mode looks pretty distracting considering the 3DS' res.

EDIT: On second thought - 3D. This could be interesting.

@MUWANdo

Banned
For anyone wondering about the different aspect ratios, there are four options:

img_ss15.jpg

img_ss16.jpg

img_ss17.jpg

img_ss18.jpg

Original aspect ratio, 4:3 aspect ratio, full-screen, and cabinet mode with realistic tilting.

Top Bottom