• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Dreavus

Proposed changes to F2P system

Pretty much the idea is to give all players 30 heroes that are free, and all pools in all random and single draft will be drawn from only heroes you own doing away with tokens. It looks like it could be an interesting change depending on the heros they pick

This actually looks like a pretty good solution. It seems to address most of the concerns they had with the previous system. I agree with a few of the posters over there, though: they should really have some percentage of free heroes that still rotates so that people can try them out.

I do like how they're trying to get away from the tokens system.

This actually looks like a pretty good solution. It seems to address most of the concerns they had with the previous system. I agree with a few of the posters over there, though: they should really have some percentage of free heroes that still rotates so that people can try them out.

I do like how they're trying to get away from the tokens system.

Yeah there should be a small number of rotating heroes, 24 static and 6 rotating could even work; as long as the static pool can cover all the basics I think it will be pretty good. Problem with only 15 heroes rotating is that half the time some roles are completely closed off to new players

Xater

So I started playing this because I wanted to play a MOBA until DOTA2 is out. Is there an easy way to just play with GAFers? I am not great and don#t enjoy getting verbally abused.

IceMarker

So I started playing this because I wanted to play a MOBA until DOTA2 is out. Is there an easy way to just play with GAFers? I am not great and don#t enjoy getting verbally abused.

Type /j Clan NeoGAF in the chat bar and hope people are on, there's usually anywhere from 1-10 people on consistently. You could be invited to the clan, but you'd have to contact one of the officers, being Procarbine, Blitz64, Sanjay, and PillowKnight.

Madouu

There's also clan LSBN if you want to play with chill people. We expect people to be chill too though. Just tell them you are one of my friends and you just started playing the game.

Same goes for anyone that doesn't want to solo queue. You are welcome.

Dreavus

Hahaha, mid wars. I've never actually played it but I've seen a few videos. Completely ridiculous. Can't wait for this.

Mid Wars looks pretty interesting. Lots of different strategies. Can't wait to try it out.

I think Dev and Flint will likely be banned every game.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Yeah.. just be sure to ban Artillery, Devo, Flint.

Went 24/0 with Artillery... pretty op.

Yeah Artillery is broken in Mid Wars.

And wards really help during night. If you're standing in the river with no creeps you can't see a thing.

Dreavus

Yeah Artillery is broken in Mid Wars.

And wards really help during night. If you're standing in the river with no creeps you can't see a thing.

Yeah, he's really hard to deal with. I've been blue/pink for some reason for about 80% of my Mid wars games so far, and my bans have primarily been: Behemoth, Devourer, and Artillery. Sometimes I'll ban Flint, but he honestly hasn't been able to get off the ground in most of the games I've played.

Phandy

Why'd Sanjay get banned?

I think it was some joke he made in thread about a Rape lawsuit in OT. Thread was always going to be dangerous territory. It was a funny joke though, unlucky Sanjay.

HoN-related Addition;
people should get back on HoN, and try out mid wars. Some of the new heroes are crap but it just doesn't matter because midwars is hilarious. Its just dumb-good-fun. Its great for when you want to play dota but can't be bothered to try hard in a real game.

IceMarker

people should get back on HoN, and try out mid wars. Some of the new heroes are crap but it just doesn't matter because midwars is hilarious. Its just dumb-good-fun. Its great for when you want to play dota but can't be bothered to try hard in a real game.

Legit Midwars has always been fun. Even before they added it officially.

Phandy

I am starting to get annoyed at the lack of variety in mid wars picks :( Need an all random no repick mode asap.

Its a bit of wishful thinking, but balancing out some of the heroes would be nice. Some heroes are just too good when they get the farm that they do in midwars, eg. Devourer becomes unstoppable becuase he gets like +50 strength or whatever.

Legit Midwars has always been fun. Even before they added it officially.

Yeh but now its kind of cool thats its got a bit of structure and games dont last a million years like they did before.

A blue/pink random mode for it would be fun too. Used to love that.

I am starting to get annoyed at the lack of variety in mid wars picks :( Need an all random no repick mode asap.

Seems like every game it's Flint, Artillery, and Devourer being banned. If I'm banning I'll usually go for other heroes like Aluna, Behemoth, Thunderbringer, Repulsor (actually haven't seen him).

Ellonia seems to be a popular pick too but I haven't seen a good one yet.

Dreavus

Yeah, I pretty much ban Devo every game. Just throw hooks in the direction of their tower and you're bound to get ONE of the 5 heroes scurrying around which equals a free kill. He's way too good for getting his team an early lead, and his passive allows him to be basically unkillable if the game goes late.

And despite my earlier comments, I'm getting sick of Flint's shit so I've been banning him along with Artillery too (although Artillery isnt that bad once your initiators get portal keys). Whether Flint is on my team or not, he's just boring to play with/against and I've been seeing him every goddamn game he's not banned.

Is this what normal mode AP games are like? Seeing the same heroes over and over again? SD, BD, and AR have spoiled me for variety, I think.

Phandy

Is this what normal mode AP games are like? Seeing the same heroes over and over again? SD, BD, and AR have spoiled me for variety, I think.

Not really no, the only reason certain heroes get picked so much is because they are extra stronk in midwars. The heroes are balanced (kind of) in normal mode, just not in mid wars. People are always going to be picking anything that gives them an advantage.

Devourer isn't that hard to avoid if you have wards. The lane is also wide enough to spread out, but since most people like to pick squishy ranged heroes, a successful hook basically means a kill.

Flint and Warden are just annoying because they're so easy to play. Again, most people like their carries/ranged heroes so there's no proper initiation, allowing them to just sit back and snipe your team.

Even though Devo is almost always banned, games without him start out really slowly. Everyone hangs back and plays cautiously. Sometimes you may get a fight over the rune spot but that's rare.

New drafting mode releasing on Friday, Lock Pick Mode

The way it works
Captains ban and pick all heroes

1. Both teams make 2 blinds bans (2-4 heroes banned)
2. Both teams lock in 3 heroes from the remaining pool
3. Both teams ban 3 heroes
4. Both teams pick 3 heroes that have not yet been banned or locked
5. Both teams pick 2 heroes from the 6 that have been locked

Sounds interesting, no idea how it will work in practice but apparently this is meant to be the new pro drafting mode

Does HoN still have a professional scene?

DreamHon just ended which had the highest prize pool of all the Dreamhack events and HonTour is meant to start sometime before we all die, but not really.

There's only really two good teams left, TDM and TTeSports (Fray), Fnatic technically too but they're 90% DOTA 2 now. Apparently Dignitas, complexity and SK are all looking to sponsor teams though so if S2 ever get off their asses and start HonTour there could be a decent competitive scene again

does anyone still play HoN? I just played my first DotA2 match, and well, I think I still like HoN more; the game looks and specially sounds... dull

GameHoN promotion announced for July 6 to 13

Play 10 Games*: Unlock the new Doll Master Alt Avatar
Play 10 Games with Friends: Unlock the Team Player Bundle
Play 25 Games: Unlock the Mega Store Bundle

Team Player Bundle*

Alt Avatars
Clown Devourer
Snow Zephyr
Quadropod Tremble
Ninja Bubbles
Nightmare Madman
Queen Arachna
Mutant Parasite
Queen Bee Monarch
Geojuice
Frostrider

Account Icons
Legion
Hellbourne
You're Mine
Grenade
The Soul

Symbols
Game HoN
Team Player
Club 10

Chicken Courier
Original Taunt

Mega Store Bundle*
Alt Avatars
Kangamonium
Infernal Behemoth
Logger Legionnaire
El Guantelete
Raven Soulstealer
Nomaddin
Pollywog Chieftain
Winston Charmadon
Demented Witch
Cyber Valk

Account Icons
I Heart HoN
Thumbs Up
Nunchucks
8Bit Scout
Legion vs Hellbourne
Custom Account Icon

Symbols
Game HoN
Gamer
Club 25

Rat Courier
Gore Taunt
The first bundle is worth 2905 gold coins and the second one is worth 3440 gold coins, so if you're interested in getting some alts it's worth playing. Games have to be normal or casual mode, no Mid Wars

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Must be scared of Dota if they're having to give all that away to get people to play.

eldoon

Thats $120 worth of gold coins for 25 games - 10 with freinds.

Must be scared of Dota if they're having to give all that away to get people to play.

They already have a plan for it but this giveaway could be part of it - they are going to release 30 heroes for free
either 30 static or 21 static and 7 changing weekly.

Dreavus

Cool promotion.

I wish midwars was eligible though. My friends and I have mostly switched over to Dota 2, with the exception of the occasional midwars game. Maybe I'll convince them to play some 3v3s with me for this.

All heroes are free to play now.

Shop also underwent some repricing. After a certain number of days, the price will drop. A lot of good alts are now 500 silver coins.

Top Bottom