• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

BumRush

Added some new content to the OP, thanks to you guys. I really appreciate the help. Please continue to send me stuff and I will update the OP.

If someone wants to make a simple but elegant banner for the thread, please do...I suck at photoshop.

Parsnip

I always hate buying a TV because the model numbers vary between regions. As such, often finding reviews for a TV that I could buy locally is a pain in the ass because pretty much every notable tech site is located in the US. So then I have to figure out what the equivalent US model is, but that's not a walk in the park either.

There should be a database of TV models somewhere that would keep track of this stuff.

GriffinCorp

So this year I picked up a Vizio P-Series 65",I think it's a great 4K UHDTV. I have mine in the media room. I love how dark the blacks are with zero light bleed through from the edges.

Now OLED was what I wanted but I'll need a few years for the prices to come down. My question is what is the next step for HDR1000/Dolby Vision? My set has both, but will there be an HDR2000 or HDR10000? The 1000 only relates to brightness?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Audio GAF how do I run all of my shit if I plan on getting new audio?

I got my PS4 for games/Blu-Ray.
I got my Samsung TV for smart apps
I got my X1 box for Comcast

Can I pass through all the audio to my TV then run one out to a receiver? Do I need a receiver with a fucking gazillion HDMI ports both in and out?

ascii42

Can I pass through all the audio to my TV then run one out to a receiver? Do I need a receiver with a fucking gazillion HDMI ports both in and out?
You'd want a receiver with enough inputs to cover your external devices, and an output that supports ARC (audio return channel). You'd want to plug the PS4 and X1 into the receiver, then the receiver to whichever hdmi input on your TV supports ARC. ARC generally speaking only supports 2 channel PCM and regular Dolby Digital and DTS, which is fine for TV and streaming apps. In order to get the most out of Blu-Ray's lossless audio, you definitely want to at least have the PS4 going directly into the receiver.

GriffinCorp

I'm using a Yahama 2060 for all my stuff. ARC works to pass ATMOS back the the receiver. If you have the XBO (UHD Player), make sure you are using HDMI high speed cables (18GBPS) for the 4K/HDR content.

MrFlooD

Can I pass through all the audio to my TV then run one out to a receiver? Do I need a receiver with a fucking gazillion 6HDMI ports both in and out?

Highly recommend an AV Reciever with a bunch of HDMI ports. Love only having to run a single Hdmi to my TV.

Vanillalite

Thanks homies!

I'll look around.

This sorta sounds like a pain in the ass, but I'm sure it isn't when I hook it all up.

Vanillalite

You'd want a receiver with enough inputs to cover your external devices, and an output that supports ARC (audio return channel). You'd want to plug the PS4 and X1 into the receiver, then the receiver to whichever hdmi input on your TV supports ARC. ARC generally speaking only supports 2 channel PCM and regular Dolby Digital and DTS, which is fine for TV and streaming apps. In order to get the most out of Blu-Ray's lossless audio, you definitely want to at least have the PS4 going directly into the receiver.

I get plugging all the extra devices into the receiver in. Then running that out to the TV.

How does that TV apps get the audio back to the receiver though? Wouldn't that ARC port be an OUT on the receiver and an IN on the TV?

Wouldn't I need an OUT on the TV and an IN on the receiver for built in apps?

Weevilone

I get plugging all the extra devices into the receiver in. Then running that out to the TV.

How does that TV apps get the audio back to the receiver though? Wouldn't that ARC port be an OUT on the receiver and an IN on the TV?

The HDMI between TV and receiver is bi-directional, basically.

The Beard

A lot of newer TV's support 5.1 Over ARC now, but not loseless 5.1.

Your receiver just has an HDMI out. Your TV will have 1 ARC HDMI port. That one ARC port sends and receives. Anything played through the TV will have the audio sent to your receiver through ARC, including your TV's built in apps.

Weevilone

ARC is a finicky pita though so definitely scout for issues between your particular TV and whatever AVR you are considering.

What's your opinion regarding IPS x VA panels, guys? I've come to the conclusion that I hate IPS... I don't think I've ever seen an IPS TV/pc monitor with decent contrast ratio.

I know, IPS is better if you have a TV in a big room with people watching it from different positions etc. But the image quality just makes me want to avoid it :/

The Beard

What's your opinion regarding IPS x VA panels, guys? I've come to the conclusion that I hate IPS... I don't think I've ever seen an IPS TV/pc monitor with decent contrast ratio.

I know, IPS is better if you have a TV in a big room with people watching it from different positions etc. But the image quality just makes me want to avoid it :/

If I was forced to buy an LCD, it would be a VA panel. Supposedly Panasonic has developed a new "OLED Killer" IPS panel with an insane contrast ratio and deep blacks. But every year I keep hearing about the new LCD tech that is an "OLED Killer" and they're all bullshit.

I think Sony made that claim during CES 2016, and Panasonic (once again) the year before that.

If I was forced to buy an LCD, it would be a VA panel. Supposedly Panasonic has developed a new "OLED Killer" IPS panel with an insane contrast ratio and deep blacks. But every year I keep hearing about the new LCD tech that is an "OLED Killer" and they're all bullshit.

I think Sony made that claim during CES 2016, and Panasonic (once again) the year before that.

From what I remember that new tech is not supposed to come to consumers, only high end medical/scientific research and the like, isn't it? Someone even mentioned that it was possibly insanely expensive... but yeah I hear that 'OLED killer' stuff every year too lol

MrFlooD

What's a good budget receiver for 4k/3d/HDR?

Better question is what can you afford? For a good quality "budget" Reciever I recommend Sony STRDN1070 ($450).

If looking for >$1000, would recommend looking at Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz. Personally I am partial to Denon.

BumRush

I'll believe OLED killer when it provides the same or better picture for significantly less money AND it's available in retailers. Otherwise - like has been said - it's just hype and conjecture.

Lady Gaia

ARC is a finicky pita though so definitely scout for issues between your particular TV and whatever AVR you are considering.

Seconded. ARC requires enabling HDMI CEC which is intended to cleverly do "the right thing" but invariably winds up being too clever for its own good. At least some Smart TVs also allow optical out for audio which might be a better option when integrating with a receiver. The bandwidth limitations on ARC audio are identical to optical so you're not sacrificing quality by doing so.

III-V

I'll believe OLED killer when it provides the same or better picture for significantly less money AND it's available in retailers. Otherwise - like has been said - it's just hype and conjecture.

I would say OLED killer at >90% p rformanc and 30% of price..

I always prioritize best bang for the buck at the highest available performance level.

I get it.

But just imagine, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, all aboard the OLED train... newer, better panels... brighter panels... more competition, cheaper tvs... hmmmm

For TVs the standard is VA because of superior contrast and black levels. I believe only LG use IPS across their entire line of LCD. Other manufacturers generally use VA on their top ends sets and do panel lottery on lower end sets.

IPS has the same native contrast level as TN so yeah

The Beard

I get it.

But just imagine, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, all aboard the OLED train... newer, better panels... brighter panels... more competition, cheaper tvs... hmmmm

Unless sales of OLED TVs skyrocket and start to gain a healthy chunk of the market, I don't think we'll see those other 3 companies really give a shit, at least not to the extent of starting to manufacture their own panels. If they do release OLEDs in the future (like Sony is rumored to do in 2017) they'll all be using LG's panels anyways. Sony and Samsung engineers might be able to squeeze better performance out of LG's panels though, and prices would inevitably go down when/if production significantly increases and more options are available.

VA panel all the way. Even with the awful off angle viewing.

III-V

I get it.

Unless sales of OLED TVs skyrocket and start to gain a healthy chunk of the market, I don't think we'll see those other 3 companies really give a shit, at least not to the extent of starting to manufacture their own panels. If they do release OLEDs in the future (like Sony is rumored to do in 2017) they'll all be using LG's panels anyways. Sony and Samsung engineers might be able to squeeze better performance out of LG's panels though, and prices would inevitably go down when/if production significantly increases and more options are available.

I have no technology preference. Give me an IPS with >=1e6 native contrast, 0.005 cd/m^2 black and >1k nits peak brightness at 40% price of competing technology, I would call this OLED killer.

The Beard

I have no technology preference. Give me an IPS with >=1e6 native contrast, 0.005 cd/m^2 black and >1k nits peak brightness at 40% price of competing technology, I would call this OLED killer.

LCDs will never be as good as emissive displays IMO. Buying an LCD scares me because of all the dealbreaking issues any given panel can have i.e. clouding, flash-lighting, and halos.

After I've gotten used to plasma's deep and consistent blacks, there's no going back for me. Clouding/flash-lighting on other people's TV's, that I may not have really noticed in the past, stands out like a motherfucker to me now. Inky, and consistent blacks are the most important thing for me. LCDs have gotten much better recently, but there are still way too many inconsistencies from panel to panel, and even the best LCDs today have the halo effect to some extent.

For TVs the standard is VA because of superior contrast and black levels. I believe only LG use IPS across their entire line of LCD. Other manufacturers generally use VA on their top ends sets and do panel lottery on lower end sets.

IPS has the same native contrast level as TN so yeah

Sony's X850D is IPS... not a high end but not a bad model either.

LCDs will never be as good as emissive displays IMO. Buying an LCD scares me because of all the dealbreaking issues any given panel can have i.e. clouding, flash-lighting, and halos.

After I've gotten used to plasma's deep and consistent blacks, there's no going back for me. Clouding/flash-lighting on other people's TV's, that I may not have really noticed in the past, stands out like a motherfucker to me now. Inky, and consistent blacks are the most important thing for me. LCDs have gotten much better recently, but there are still way too many inconsistencies from panel to panel, and even the best LCDs today have the halo effect to some extent.

Agreed. Good thing I'm not THAT sensitive :p

Preach! After using a Panasonic plasma the last 4 1/2 years I bought a 65" KS8500 and the poor black levels and uneven backlight were awful and the TV went back the next day. I'm waiting on the 2017 LG OLED's to release and then I will be upgrading.

The Beard

Preach! After using a Panasonic plasma the last 4 1/2 years I bought a 65" KS8500 and the poor black levels and uneven backlight were awful and the TV went back the next day. I'm waiting on the 2017 LG OLED's to release and then I will be upgrading.

Yeah, I'm holding onto my VT60 for now and waiting for a 65" 2017 OLED somewhere in the low $2k range. I would love a 70" for < $3,500 but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

sector4

I've had the Z9D for just over a week now, and have watched a couple 4K Blu Rays (Revenant and Batman V Superman) and played a bit of Forza, Gears, and Last Guardian (all HDR) and have nothing but positive stuff to say about the TV. I'm coming from a Panasonic Plasma, and Panasonic AE4000U projector previously.

It's absolutely dazzling, the blacks are perfect even in a pitch black room, and the brightness it can achieve makes HDR look insane. It's exceeded even my high expectations for it, especially with it's upscaling of 1080p Blu Rays (Black Sails is insanely gorgeous on it).

If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask! But if you're looking for a top tier LCD, I would say look no further, because this is it, and I highly recommend it.

BumRush

This is exactly how I feel.

I've had the Z9D for just over a week now, and have watched a couple 4K Blu Rays (Revenant and Batman V Superman) and played a bit of Forza, Gears, and Last Guardian (all HDR) and have nothing but positive stuff to say about the TV. I'm coming from a Panasonic Plasma, and Panasonic AE4000U projector previously.

It's absolutely dazzling, the blacks are perfect even in a pitch black room, and the brightness it can achieve makes HDR look insane. It's exceeded even my high expectations for it, especially with it's upscaling of 1080p Blu Rays (Black Sails is insanely gorgeous on it).

If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask! But if you're looking for a top tier LCD, I would say look no further, because this is it, and I highly recommend it.

What size did you get

BumRush

Happy you love it!

Just curious, what made you go with that over OLED?

Nice post!

I remember being really bummed out when Panasonic bowed out of the plasma display business. Until I found out the technology wouldn't be feasible for 4k displays. That was the moment I found peace and accepted OLED as the true GOAT succesor.

sector4

Happy you love it!

Just curious, what made you go with that over OLED?
I took an XB1 to the store at the behest of forum members here and compared the Z9D directly with the LG E6 OLED as I was considering both sets. I used 4K Blu Rays and Forza / Gears and to my eyes the Z9D was a much better overall set. That doesn't mean it is, just to me it was more impressive and made the decision pretty easy.

They both have their strong suits for sure which have been talked to death here (off axis viewing is not the Z9Ds), but I'd highly recommend anyone looking at OLED to consider the Z9D, it's LCD at the top of it's game. Especially given the quote above that you agreed with, the Z9D's blacks are a lot better than both Panasonic Plasma's I owned. Also don't be put off by people telling you brightness isn't important and current TVs are bright enough, that extra brightness makes HDR look absolutely jaw dropping, and I have yet to find it to be too bright for regular viewing.

If you have any specific questions you'd like to know hit me up, and I'll answer them as best I can.

Paragon

The problem with OLED is low brightness and poor motion.
They're solvable problems but the issues are linked and LG has done very little to improve brightness.
They have used a more aggressive ABL so that peak brightness has gone from 500 to 750 nits, but actual maximum sustained brightness has remained around 150 nits.
Near-black performance is a problem for OLEDs too.
They do black really well, but shadow detail and near-black uniformity is a problem.

LCD has poor viewing angles, contrast ratio, and response times.
Strobing the backlight gives LCD really good motion.
Samsung's quantum color filter sounds like it will fix the viewing angle problem while increasing brightness/efficiency and gamut.
Panasonic's light modulating cell sounds like it will fix the contrast problem - and with IPS panels too. It won't be 0 nit black, but 0.001 is better than any other non-OLED display.

It's too early to say that LCD is dead yet, especially now that HDR is a factor and OLED seems to have difficulty with brightness.
I wouldn't be surprised to see next year's OLEDs have a peak of 1000 nits and still only be able to sustain 150 nits maximum brightness.
That's always been the problem with emissive displays.
This year's best LCDs have around 1500 nits peak and 500 nits maximum sustained brightness. Next year's will be capable of even more.

For SDR TV/Movies which are only 100 nits and have low framerates, I might still pick an OLED.
For HDR gaming I'd probably want one of those new LCDs.

BumRush

I took an XB1 to the store at the behest of forum members here and compared the Z9D directly with the LG E6 OLED as I was considering both sets. I used 4K Blu Rays and Forza / Gears and to my eyes the Z9D was a much better overall set. That doesn't mean it is, just to me it was more impressive and made the decision pretty easy.

They both have their strong suits for sure which have been talked to death here (off axis viewing is not the Z9Ds), but I'd highly recommend anyone looking at OLED to consider the Z9D, it's LCD at the top of it's game. Especially given the quote above that you agreed with, the Z9D's blacks are a lot better than both Panasonic Plasma's I owned. Also don't be put off by people telling you brightness isn't important and current TVs are bright enough, that extra brightness makes HDR look absolutely jaw dropping, and I have yet to find it to be too bright for regular viewing.

If you have any specific questions you'd like to know hit me up, and I'll answer them as best I can.

Thanks for the great response. Post pics when you can.

Man CES is going to be huge this year.

It's the best LCD TV out there, no doubt. The problem is its price... it's even more expensive than high end OLEDs, it makes no sense :p

BumRush

Literally waiting for CES to make my purchase decision. Willing to shell out a decent amount. The E6 and Z9D are calling my name though

I am as well. There's a few fixable things that the OLEDs - while already the best picture I've ever seen - can improve on. I've never been this excited about a consumer electronics show.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's the best LCD TV out there, no doubt. The problem is its price... it's even more expensive than high end OLEDs, it makes no sense :p

Literally waiting for CES to make my purchase decision. Willing to shell out a decent amount. The E6 and Z9D are calling my name though

Once CES comes and goes and we hear about the new line of sets coming next year prices should slowly start to creep down on the heels of the news. Once those 2017 sets all release and hit the market, prices on sets like the Z9D should start dropping pretty significantly. That or the new sets are impressive enough to just splurge on those... ahh decisions.

HylianTom

Banned
Once CES comes and goes and we hear about the new line of sets coming next year prices should slowly start to creep down on the heels of the news. Once those 2017 sets all release and hit the market, prices on sets like the Z9D should start dropping pretty significantly. That or the new sets are impressive enough to just splurge on those... ahh decisions.
That, and many places have a 30-day price match policy. So if you buy on January 1st, for example, and the post-CES/Super bowl sales in late January show better prices, you can often get the difference back that way.

Top Bottom