• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

mjp2417

Banned
im still trying to figure out why

shit Zach Randolph would have been a better pick lol

edit: omg Zbo's numbered has already been future retired

I AM DYING!!!

It shouldn't be particularly surprising. It was a team, and a city for that matter, without any professional sports identity until Conley/Gasol/Zbo/Allen. Having jerseys hanging in the rafters matters to building a sense of history.

mjp2417

Banned
I don't get it why do it before he retires, he wasnt that great didnt lead them to a title.

I mean he's the kinda guy you prob retire jersey 5 years after they left the game if you just have to retire his jersey lol

Probably to please the fanbase. They just let Tony and ZBo walk while they are still paying Chandler Parsons almost 100 million which I would imagine isn't the most popular thing locally.

bionic77

I don't get it why do it before he retires, he wasnt that great didnt lead them to a title.

I mean he's the kinda guy you prob retire jersey 5 years after they left the game if you just have to retire his jersey lol
It will sell tickets for one at least one night and give the fans something to be excited about.

It is kind of weird to me that any fan base would be excited or pay money to see that but I will have to assume that the guy is beloved over there.

Tom Penny

It will sell tickets for one at least one night and give the fans something to be excited about.

It is kind of weird to me that any fan base would be excited or pay money to see that but I will have to assume that the guy is beloved over there.
Are you lost how did you wind up here?

mjp2417

Banned
Retiring Tony Allen's number is a desperate ass move. Way to embrace being a C tier franchise.

Except the two most successful franchises in the history of American sports are also the two most liberal when it comes to retiring numbers. I mean, Jorge Posada and Satch Sanders are not exactly HOF types. Sanders' career actually maps fairly closely onto Allen's in a lot of ways except for ringz.

Except the two most successful franchises in the history of American sports are also the two most liberal when it comes to retiring numbers. I mean, Jorge Posada and Satch Sanders are not exactly HOF types. Sanders' career actually maps fairly closely onto Allen's in a lot of ways except for ringz.

It would be like the Lakers retiring Derek Fisher or Rick Fox. I don't know, but I like reserving that honor for HoF type players. It cheapens it otherwise.

Bread

Banned
It would be like the Lakers retiring Derek Fisher or Rick Fox. I don't know, but I like reserving that honor for HoF type players. It cheapens it otherwise.
The Memphis Grizzlies have no history, I’m fine with them giving one of the most important players from their best years so far a lot of recognition. For almost every other team I’d disagree with the decision.

mjp2417

Banned

Lakers are pretty exclusive with that stuff. It's just different philosophies, but I don't think it's a mark of shame for Memphis or anything. It's not like retiring Shareef Abdur-Rahim's number because he put up 20 ppg a couple times on some shitty teams.

bionic77

On one hand it is kind of cool having scrubs in the rafters.

That way some young kid will glance up there in 10 years and be like who the fuck is Tony Allen?

jdstorm

Banned

Hey man... i loved Derrick Fisher as a kid. I would use him in NBA Live over Kobe. Starters who aren't HoF types who have been significant over a long period of time deserve some recognition.

Sanders is in the HoF though.

bionic77

Hey man... i loved Derrick Fisher as a kid. I would use him in NBA Live over Kobe. Starters who aren't HoF types who have been significant over a long period of time deserve some recognition.
Fish was awesome during that 15-1 run in the playoffs. After that he was kind of a horrible defender and streaky shooter who was kind of a drag on the team. If he is not making those 3s he was kind of useless.

Any quick PG (starting with Parker) would cook the shit out of him. Somehow the refs let him thug Tony up back when you could intimidate him.

Some teams actually recognize hard work and dedication?...like any regular job would. Why is that desperate? Not everyone has to do things like the lakers

nearly every NBA player works hard. Outside of a few outliers, you don't make the NBA unless you do. That's not an uncommon trait. You might as well applaud him for his "grit" and "heart" next.

i wonder if he goes 1st, should be an interesting college season for freshman.

I would take someone that have proved to be be an excellent player in Euroleague since he was 17 (and the second best player in the Eurobaket gold team) over any kid that just played in highschool and college (unless he is a LeBron type of talent of course)

jdstorm

Banned
Fish was awesome during that 15-1 run in the playoffs. After that he was kind of a horrible defender and streaky shooter who was kind of a drag on the team. If he is not making those 3s he was kind of useless.

Any quick PG (starting with Parker) would cook the shit out of him. Somehow the refs let him thug Tony up back when you could intimidate him.

For sure. I'm just saying that some players have sentimental value that goes beyond a HoF skillset for specific teams fans.

Obviously if you are the Lakers you probably have to stick to HoF players so that you don't run out of numbers. However for most other teams having that player who was one of the teams faces for a decade or so is important.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Tony Allen should be the next nba player to be on dancing with the stars. So far they’ve only had scrubs like Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, and Metta World Peace.

Zukkoyaki

Probably should have waited a few years but I see nothing wrong with Memphis retiring Tony Allen's jersey.

He was a vital player and locker room presence that helped turn a team that had never won a playoff series into a perennial second-third round contender, in a brutal conference, and helped instill a strong culture. Also made 3 defensive second teams and 3 defensive first teams while playing for the Grizz. I've seen people with worse resumes get their jerseys retired. He and Zbo are probably the two most admired players in team history by fans.

Though it does feel... Premature.

bionic77

Don't forget his grind.
Grit and heart are stupid and cannot be measured.

Grind is just code for dirty mofo who gets rebounds.

Those guys are priceless on any team and never get any recognition. No one wants to get the rebounds or do the dirty work, but those guys are extremely important on every team.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Michal Thompson asked Kuzuma if seeing Ben Simmons is like looking in a mirror. Kuzuma said he didn’t see a resemblance other than being light skinned. 😂

Cornbread78

Grit and heart are stupid and cannot be measured.

Grind is just code for dirty mofo who gets rebounds.

Those guys are priceless on any team and never get any recognition. No one wants to get the rebounds or do the dirty work, but those guys are extremely important on every team.

Why bang down low when you can just sit pretty on the three point line and pop treys.

I blame Antoine Walker....

bionic77

Why bang down low when you can just sit pretty on the three point line and pop treys.

I blame Antoine Walker....
Now that I am old that is pretty much how I play the game myself.

Fuck tearing my knee again going for a loose ball or rebound. Let the young destroy their bodies in the paint.

#Toinewasrightallalong

Top Bottom