• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Beckx

tbh every reminder of how badly the WCW fucked up the end of the nwo/sting feud makes me upset, this thread included

Tripon

wall of shame btw

TAQvTwL.png
The fuck did I say for 780 posts.

Shouta

Hmm, I don't know if I'll go to Evo this year. I haven't been happy with the greater FGC in the last year so and today has just been reminding me of that.

Beckx

Another finely crafted OT by NWS

Kenny Omega is in Tiger Mask? I gotta watch that.

he's literally only in it for 10 seconds, so don't expect much.

Tiger Mask W is still worth watching for a corny anime WRESTLING IS REAL type of guilty pleasure. The second season has been kinda lacking direction so far though.

Shouta

Agreed. What a bunch of jerks.

I really wasn't happy with the player's choice thing despite saying I might do some sniping. It's a real kick in the groin for a lot of communities. The reactions to Pokken are pretty frustrating too. Then I'm reminded of how the FGC is still significantly segmented at that. When you add in the fact that folks purposefully avert their eyes to the challenges of growing a community now, it leaves you thinking.

Lemstar

I really wasn't happy with the player's choice thing despite saying I might do some sniping. It's a real kick in the groin for a lot of communities. The reactions to Pokken are pretty frustrating too. Then I'm reminded of how the FGC is still significantly segmented at that. When you add in the fact that folks purposefully avert their eyes to the challenges of growing a community now, it leaves you thinking.
🤔

Sheroking

The players choice/charity thing would not have been bad if all the games in it were niche games being given a chance to go to the big stage.

But when you have a game like Marvel, which has been apart of EVO for as long as EVO has been EVO, and you put games with smaller, less engaged communities in over it - and then pit that community against stuff like Pokken and KI, you're asking for hard feelings.

Any nastiness that's happened, I put on Wizard and the EVO team - not on the community.

Kumubou

The fighting game community has always been a loose federation of communities, at best. That and there's a significant element of "fuck you I got mine" (like a lot of things in America) where any other growing community is seen as a threat. That's how it's always been and that's probably how it will always be (with any games having breakaway success becoming their own separate thing).

Personally, I think the whole endeavor was shambolic and the only winner out of this is John Cena.

notworksafe

we're more of a fighting game confederacy if anything.

also i definitely put the blame for people acting like cocks on the people who acted like cocks. i bag on wizard a lot but he doesn't deserve the blame for people being little shits.

Sheroking

also i definitely put the blame for people acting like cocks on the people who acted like cocks. i bag on wizard a lot but he doesn't deserve the blame for people being little shits.

You can't pit tens of thousands of people against each other about something they're passionate about and expect everyone to behave.

That's just not how shit works.

Shouta

The players choice/charity thing would not have been bad if all the games in it were niche games being given a chance to go to the big stage.

But when you have a game like Marvel, which has been apart of EVO for as long as EVO has been EVO, and you put games with smaller, less engaged communities in over it - and then pit that community against stuff like Pokken and KI, you're asking for hard feelings.

Any nastiness that's happened, I put on Wizard and the EVO team - not on the community.

It's kind of both to me. I think the donation drive was a terrible idea but you can't blame Wiz and the gang for people being shits. It's two separate parts of one big problem. Kind of like how Tripon points out it's like elections, lol.

The fighting game community has always been a loose federation of communities, at best. That and there's a significant element of "fuck you I got mine" (like a lot of things in America) where any other growing community is seen as a threat. That's how it's always been and that's probably how it will always be (with any games having breakaway success becoming their own separate thing).

Personally, I think the whole endeavor was shambolic and the only winner out of this is John Cena.

Yeah. You'd think folks would wise up to the fact that the more communities they can bring in and grow, the better everyone prospers though. Apparently, it's not obvious enough, lol.

like I understand what kbr was saying, but tbh it wasnt the time or place to say it. Honestly shouldve kept his mouth shut instead of trying to give his wisdom.

if at the beginning when it was first announced he said: hey this donation drive isnt in the true spirit of charity and not the way to do it to gain entrance into evo as it devalues the reason to give to charity and creates hostility. Sure w/e you say your 2 cents and dont look petty/actually say something sane.

Now he's put jwong in his sights, said ppl that dont donate anonymously are bad, I would donate this much if I made money instead of giving up everything for a game that it seems he doesnt care about etc. Now you looking like a petty kid hating on others success personally.

Why doesn't Evo start running more games? I mean CEO is running 11 games and runs about the same time Evo does so wouldn't it be possible with some adjustments with getting a bigger venue?

Tripon

Why doesn't Evo start running more games? I mean CEO is running 11 games and runs about the same time Evo does so wouldn't it be possible with some adjustments with getting a bigger venue?
CEO smallest game is 100 people, the smallest game at EVO was 500+ last year.

Shouta

like I understand what kbr was saying, but tbh it wasnt the time or place to say it. Honestly shouldve kept his mouth shut instead of trying to give his wisdom.

if at the beginning when it was first announced he said: hey this donation drive isnt in the true spirit of charity and not the way to do it to gain entrance into evo as it devalues the reason to give to charity and creates hostility. Sure w/e you say your 2 cents and dont look petty/actually say something sane.

Now he's put jwong in his sights, said ppl that dont donate anonymously are bad, I would donate this much if I made money instead of giving up everything for a game that it seems he doesnt care about etc. Now you looking like a petty kid hating on others success personally.

I mean KBR specifically didn't comment on the drive during it because he didn't like it in the first place and didn't want to favor any game. Perhaps he should have said something (maybe he did?) but folks would probably be mad at him anyway, lol. "They're doing it for charity Why you against it!?" or something.

Justin went in real fast on FB without talking to KBR or understanding context though that doesn't change Kane's general handling of it all.

Well, considering Evo already does 9, it's not farfetched to do 2 more official games but it's still a significant logistical nightmare. They'd need to reconsider how they do things but they still haven't fixed their current problems yet.

I mean KBR specifically didn't comment on the drive during it because he didn't like it in the first place and didn't want to favor any game. Perhaps he should have said something (maybe he did?) but folks would probably be mad at him anyway, lol. "They're doing it for charity Why you against it!?" or something.

Justin went in real fast on FB without talking to KBR or understanding context though that doesn't change Kane's general handling of it all.

Well, considering Evo already does 9, it's not farfetched to do 2 more official games but it's still a significant logistical nightmare. They'd need to reconsider how they do things but they still haven't fixed their current problems yet.

yea I agree the ppl go hard in on kbr for perceived notions they have on him, but yea kbr shouldnt have said anything especially given how his situation usually is.

I went back to his tweets back on Jan 24th which I perceived is the when the donation was started. No tweets about how he thinks the drive is a bad idea. He also retweets out like maybe a week later of someone donating 1000 dollars to mvc3 and other donations so obviously ppl sharing donations/hyping up the donations wasnt wrong back then. Now it just seems like he's being petty/thinks jwong donated at the last minute and didnt really care about the charity when jwong may have donated earlier/helped out earlier with another amt. But yes at the end of the day I agree, bottom line kbr handled it well at all

Sheroking

It's kind of both to me. I think the donation drive was a terrible idea but you can't blame Wiz and the gang for people being shits. It's two separate parts of one big problem. Kind of like how Tripon points out it's like elections, lol.

You can blame them for knowing that people are shits, recognizing that this drive was going to bring out this kind of resentment, and doing it anyway.

This really isn't limited to the FGC. Any similar drive with stakes like this would be devisive and bring out the worst in some of the people involved.

If it makes you feel any better Shouta and NWS, I love fighting games and love to complain while not playing them. Still crazy how FGs and games as a spectator sport became a thing this decade.
This community feels a little inside baseball and looking into actual players but that is what I like about the FGC, warts and Marns and all.

Top Bottom