• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

i just randomly rewatched some older E3 Videos and found that Interview from Kinda Funny Games with Shuhei Yoshida after the E3 Conference in 2015
two interesting things that i catched:

1. talks about Sucker Punch Game (how excited he is about it) and that he already had a chance to play it
With all the talk about Sucker Punch and how far they are with their project, i guess it was more than just concept work/pre production by that time?

2. Yoshida mentions Japan Studio, that they are producing a great game right now & he is excited about it (TLG and Gravity Rush were already announced by that point)

i just randomly rewatched some older E3 Videos and found that Interview from Kinda Funny Games with Shuhei Yoshida after the E3 Conference in 2015

1. talks about Sucker Punch Game (how excited he is about it) and that he already had a chance to play it
With all the talk about Sucker Punch and how far they are with their project, i guess it was more than just concept work/pre production by that time?

2. Yoshida mentions Japan Studio, that they are producing a great game right now & he is excited about it (TLG and Gravity Rush were already announced by that point)
He mentions it again in 2016 so I have to imagine announcement this year.
Unless it was knack 2

Turkoop

Banned

Really interesting facts. BTW, Infamous Second Son will celebrate his 3rd anniversary tomorrow.

I thought GR2 wasn't announced until TGS?

I just did some searching as well, and all that turned up is that he had a 'thank you' nod in the N++ credits. He has disappeared from the net. He must be working for the CIA.

Really weird, he's almost dropped off of the face of the Earth. Guess he's not making games anymore? :/

it was already announced at the TGS 2013 as Team Gravity Project. (Yoshida even spoke about the game in the Interview)
2015 it got announced as GR2 for Ps4
Ah ok. I doubt he was referring to Knack 2 there so could be something big, even if it's another colab with someone like FROM, which would be hype obviously but I hope to see something big internally

Memento

I hope Sucker Punch goes big like Guerrila did with their new IP! This E3 will be awesome!

Also, yeah, I am hoping for another game from Japan Studio announced!

same...especially after the restructure of Japan Studio.
I remember they said they wanted to build them up to worldwide prominence. By that I don't think they meant Bloodborne colabs. And as much as we on the internet may love stuff like TLG and GR2, the larger audience doesn't. I feel like there's something larger scale in the works there

Happy #WorldFrogDay to all our amphibious friends! :) #DreamsPS4
C7YRvu8X4AAMrMj.jpg

That looks very impressive. Man, I can't wait for the beta.

Can this game just freakin' come out already?! Geez, how much longer do we have to wait for it.

I remember they said they wanted to build them up to worldwide prominence. By that I don't think they meant Bloodborne colabs. And as much as we on the internet may love stuff like TLG and GR2, the larger audience doesn't. I feel like there's something larger scale in the works there

honestly i don't think TLG,GR and Knack 2 are the Games that represent Beckers Vision or his ideas he talked about (not trying to downplay the importance & quality of these Games tough)

TLG was already in development before he became the studio director (and Sony didn't want to cancel that Game)
Gravity Rush an IP not created under his period - however with Sony ditching the Vita, its understandable that we got those vita Franchises ported over to the Ps4 -- and with GR beeing one of the most succesfull vita games, GR2 was also no surprise)

knack --> to have familiy/kids friendly launch title (and since it was such a success --> Knack 2)

again im not trying to say that we don't need those games & or that we won't see those in the future.
I just think, we still didn't see the full results of the new Japan Studio and what Becker was talking about --> a big budget Game internally developed by Japan Studio

Almost time for the hype. April should bring about the rumors and people saying that E3 will be dead because of no leaks.

My favorite pre-E3 hype was 2015 when trailers/leaks came out prior to the event and some joked that they already knew everything/"Hey, how'd you guys enjoy E3? Seems like we already lived it." Then Sony's E3 happened. xD~~

Dabi

honestly i don't think TLG,GR and Knack 2 are the Games that represent Beckers Vision or his ideas he talked about (not trying to downplay the importance & quality of these Games tough)

TLG was already in development before he became the studio director (and Sony didn't want to cancel that Game)

Under Beckers vision you saw games like Puppeteer and Rain. Both very different from the Sony family norm but very much Sony Japan games. Last Guardian was that but on a AAA scale. I think games like TLG are the goal, mind you they also want too sell by the boat load as well.

Under Beckers vision you saw games like Puppeteer and Rain. Both very different from the Sony family norm but very much Sony Japan games. Last Guardian was that but on a AAA scale. I think games like TLG are the goal, mind you they also want too sell by the boat load as well.

i actually thought he became the director around 2012-13...welp, seems i was wrong.
Still i don't think he meant Knack or GR2 when he talked about making Japan Studio relevant again on a global scale. i have a feeling they are brewing something big over there

FelipeMGM

Gravity Rush an IP not created under his period - however with Sony ditching the Vita, its understandable that we got those vita Franchises ported over to the Ps4 -- and with GR beeing one of the most succesfull vita games, GR2 was also no surprise)

knack --> to have familiy/kids friendly launch title (and since it was such a success --> Knack 2)

again im not trying to say that we don't need those games & or that we won't see those in the future.
I just think, we still didn't see the full results of the new Japan Studio and what Becker was talking about --> a big budget Game internally developed by Japan Studio

Him going to Japan Studio is not about the kind of games they would make, but actually managing the studio so it could have constant output of quality software and to try to be as relevant as it where in the PS1 and PS2 era. During the PS3 gen the studio used to be very unorganised and wasting resources on a bunch of projects that would go nowhere. Since he arrived there in early 2011 that seems to have changed a bit

Him going to Japan Studio is not about the kind of games they would make, but actually managing the studio so it could have constant output of quality software and to try to be as relevant as it where in the PS1 and PS2 era. During the PS3 gen the studio used to be very unorganised and wasting resources on a bunch of projects that would go nowhere. Since he arrived there in early 2011 that seems to have changed a bit

I remember reading a great article about that, and it looks as if you read it as well. More info:

Becker described the sheer love and passion the studio's developers had for the titles—all 40-odd of them—they were creating. Creativity was never the problem at the Japan Studio. Neither was the passion to make games. "And so," he said, "I was really troubled when I had to really start to focus and cut titles."

"That must have been stressful for you," I replied.

"Yeah, it was," said Becker. "To see so many people disappointed." But the studio started to move forward, seeing small successes. And that's when, according to Becker, the attitude began to shift, and the studio began to zero in on what it does best. "I think to before the creativity was all spread out," he says. "It's become more focused."

"We launched the PS Vita and saw few AAA titles to suit the Japanese market," Yoshida said. "Everyone got a wake up call." The solution was obvious and it was going to involve Sony's Japan Studio. "We really have to support our first party," Yoshida remembered thinking. That was 2011. And by the next year, Sony brought in Allan Becker to make sure that the studio could deliver.

"Our marching orders are to make games you would never see on any other console," said Moore. Case in point, Moore's own game, Puppeteer. "If I showed this crazy puppet character to any other Western studio, they would've said I was crazy," Moore said. Instead, his colleagues at Studio Japan thought it would make an interesting game. "There's more of a willingness to be open here," said Moore. "That's why this studio is appealing to me. We are willing to take risks."

The Last Guardian was first announced in 2009, and it hasn't yet been released. I ask whether or not Becker thinks that the more structured environment at Japan Studio will help Fumito Ueda and The Last Guardian.

"We're real-time in that process," Becker replied. "And we don't necessarily agree with each other—Fumito Ueda and I—about process. In some sense, I sort of... implemented change, which, I think, is causing some concern and consternation. But, once again, I think the benefit will come through. We're still going through that phase of adjustment and finding the right balance and groove."

yurinka

Sony has a lot of announced, unreleased big AAA games that we almost didn't see. I think this E3 they should focus more on showing more about them instead on focusing on the announcement of new games (just 2-3 big ones would be ok).

My favorite pre-E3 hype was 2015 when trailers/leaks came out prior to the event and some joked that they already knew everything/"Hey, how'd you guys enjoy E3? Seems like we already lived it." Then Sony's E3 happened. xD~~
Yep, we'll get more of that this year. Especially the week before E3 when stuff gets shown and people wonder why nothing is being saved for E3.

Has there been any talks of what Sucker Punch is working on? It's been a long time since they've released a game.
I've been wondering about them too. They better be up to something.
It is a new IP.

"They better be up to something" made me chuckle because I imagined Sucker Punch employees sitting around twiddling their thumbs since Infamous in 2014 lol.

As a consumer and lover of indie games, I certainly don't mind the relaxation of pure exclusivity. It's definitely great for us and the developers. However, years back it seemed like Sony was very interested in indie games. I think a lot of the stuff they were incubating/collaborating on was great - some are my favorite experiences from last generation. I think a lot of those developers represent the future of gaming. I think that variety was giving Sony's first party/owned IP portfolio far more depth than it has anytime before or since, and was providing a steadier pipeline of quality content.

The apparent abandonment of the Giant Sparrow contract is definitely concerning. I get the feeling that post-Journey, Sony wanted everything to be equally as critically/financially success level, and decided the majority of indies were no longer worth the risk. Either that or rising development cost kind of pushed the little guys out. Sony also lost a few employees - both in terms of acquisition and marketing - who were indie enthusiasts.

So with stuff going multiplatform after being dropped by Sony, it is easy to simply say, 'Great for us!' But if Sony isn't focused on their own indies or willing to take some chances, the next wave of Journeys, Resoguns, Guacamelee!s, and Velocity 2Xs may never exist. And if those risks aren't worth taking that mentality could trickle over into some of the smaller budget games like Ratchet & Clank, Tearaway, and Sly Cooper. Variety, quantity, and quality all suffer.

Ok, I think I get what you are trying to say..
But my point is this. I think it was after journeys success where It's creator, jenova chan(?), wanted to part ways with the Sony partnership. Maybe it's cuz he wanted full control over development despite its success? I dunno..

But that's where the bad relationships come from. You can have a Sony studio like Santa Monica over quality control or what not, the game be a huge hit, but now you have to pay out for all types of stuff; publishing, Santa Monica's cut, etc. or most likely a condensed deal of some sort.

Games like Helldivers and Everybody's gone to the rapture.. or even games like beyond can get extra sales from the PC crowd. Because why not? Why let a studio suffer when there is money to be for the next timed exclusives or total exclusive.

Another thing, I forget the term people were using to describe this situation, is the PS4 is in a way better place than PS3 was. PSN is getting stuffed and games, mainly indies, have a limited window of opportunity to catch the eye of the consumer. There are some great games on PSN that most never even heard of. Darkest dungeon being a great example of how lost good games get nowadays.

But I do feel what you are saying and understand what you mean. Journey was amazing at the time.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Could Matterfall be the collaboration between Housemarque and Euguene Jarvis? God I hope so!

*edit*

Last post of the page again, fml.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I had no idea, Materfall was the only Housemarque game listed in the OP so I was just guessing.

*edit*

After a quick Google I see its not First Party and is actually self published for PS4 & Steam.

Come on guys...

"Come on guys" what? You posted a gif with no context and no indication of what it was and didn't answer when people asked you what game it was. I'm not sure about other people, but I'm not familiar with every gif or video from every game ever; especially those which aren't yet released.

FelipeMGM

As a consumer and lover of indie games, I certainly don't mind the relaxation of pure exclusivity. It's definitely great for us and the developers. However, years back it seemed like Sony was very interested in indie games. I think a lot of the stuff they were incubating/collaborating on was great - some are my favorite experiences from last generation. I think a lot of those developers represent the future of gaming. I think that variety was giving Sony's first party/owned IP portfolio far more depth than it has anytime before or since, and was providing a steadier pipeline of quality content.

The apparent abandonment of the Giant Sparrow contract is definitely concerning. I get the feeling that post-Journey, Sony wanted everything to be equally as critically/financially success level, and decided the majority of indies were no longer worth the risk. Either that or rising development cost kind of pushed the little guys out. Sony also lost a few employees - both in terms of acquisition and marketing - who were indie enthusiasts.

So with stuff going multiplatform after being dropped by Sony, it is easy to simply say, 'Great for us!' But if Sony isn't focused on their own indies or willing to take some chances, the next wave of Journeys, Resoguns, Guacamelee!s, and Velocity 2Xs may never exist. And if those risks aren't worth taking that mentality could trickle over into some of the smaller budget games like Ratchet & Clank, Tearaway, and Sly Cooper. Variety, quantity, and quality all suffer.

the thing is when Sony signed up these smaller developers in the PS3 days, one major reason was about creating an eco-system of digital games, and to show to core consumers that you shouldnt overlook these kind of games, because clearly they were important and essential to the future market.

But they dont really need to make that monetary effort now, incredible indie games are coming to the platform more than ever and the digital front is established. Also creators have a lot of options when seeking funding for a game now, and most of them dont include giving away the IP

Now, you mention Guacamelee and Velocity, those kind of deals still exist, since they are not owned by Sony but were made through the Sony Pub Fund program. Axiom Verge, Salt & Sanctuary, Everything, Cosmic Star Heroine, Thumper (which you have as an avatar I believe) and others were all made through that program.

Mosse

Neo Member
Infamous second son came out exactly three years ago today (I remember since I got it on my birthday). So it wouldn't be that weird if Sucker Punch said something today

Top Bottom