• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita launched without a Ridge Racer in North America

It was a tough call for me not to buy it at launch, despite the obvious lack of content, as I absolutely love the series. Here's hoping the US release gets all the DLC added into it, even if we have to wait a while for it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Probably because it got such a negative response in Japan with all 3 fucking tracks and enough DLC to pay twice for the game. You don't want it.

DLC has been largely free
Game was 2980 yen - with 1000 yen charged for -all- the upcoming pay DLC. 3980 yen is a pretty reasonable price if/when the full game gets here if it ends up with 10 or so tracks.

herod

Is there any official promise of new circuits?

Eurogamer described the current gameplay as just grinding the same three tracks over and over for upgrade points, the exchange of which sometimes merely amounts to a gameplay hint. It sounds diabolical, regardless of whether the framerate problems are fixed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
patch for the Vita version - it's now a stable 30fps.

nice. Hopefully the patch is included in the UK version, or its updatable.

I bought at launch in Japan, and double dipped the download version in the UK.

Ridge Racer is a classic for me, plus the free Gold Pass means you get an ok amount of content for the price IMO. Even in Japan the season pass means its still good value

BigDug13

I saw the appeal when it first came out at home as a PS1 release game. Such a great showcase of the 3D polygon pushing power of that system at blazing speeds and truly giving you a feel that near-perfect arcade ports could be accomplished. It was really just a showcase game.

For 3DS, it's a great showcase of driving in first person with the depth of view that the 3D screen provides.

Outside of those two instances, Ridge Racer really hasn't been much of anything special. It's a fast-paced, drift-based arcade racer of mediocre quality (control and depth-wise) but nice visuals.

M-PG71C

Fuck all the Ridge Racer hate. The Vita edition is certainly well-warranted as a shit title but the series as a whole has been pretty awesome.

I remember RR PSP being extremely impressive, even to this day. The lack of a good RR title is the reason I have not bought a Vita honestly. I'll let get more titles like Gravity Daze and the such hit retail before I sink money into one.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Ridge Racer is one of the last pure arcade racers. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I realise some people want more and they have a ton of games to chose from. For people who don't, the Ridge Racer series is one of the few games they get to choose from. It doesn't hurt that it's still one of the best looking games on every sytem it's released on either.

The Vita game looked promising until we found out about the crap framerate and DLC. Honestly, I hope they wait to release the game here until they can get all the content on disc and fix the performance issues.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's up with the Ridge Racer hate? It was one of the best racing series out there for years.

Ridge Racer V is still one of the finest racers on PS2.

It wasn't until recently that the series started its downhill spiral. Ridge Racer 3D was kind of crap and full of compromise while Ridge Racer Vita was even worse. Then you have the whole Unbounded thing and that awful iPhone port.

The series as a whole is still excellent, however. It's an arcade racer and a damn fine one at that. If you want more from your racers, there are other options, but I'll take a really high quality Ridge Racer game over Gran Turismo or Forza any day of the week.

It blows my mind that the Vita version is just 30 fps AND non-native resolution. I mean they came out of the gate on PS3 with a 60 fps 1080p title when most devs struggled to hit 720p 30 fps. There have been some incredible looking Vita games being released at full resolution even at 60 fps. How far Namco's programmers have fallen (have they all left the company or something?).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's up with the Ridge Racer hate? It was one of the best racing series out there for years.

It wasn't until recently that the series started its downhill spiral. Ridge Racer 3D was kind of crap and full of compromise while Ridge Racer Vita was even worse. Then you have the whole Unbounded thing and that awful iPhone port.

The series as a whole is still excellent, however. It's an arcade racer and a damn fine one at that. If you want more from your racers, there are other options, but I'll take a really high quality Ridge Racer game over Gran Turismo or Forza any day of the week.

It blows my mind that the Vita version is just 30 fps AND non-native resolution. I mean they came out of the gate on PS3 with a 60 fps 1080p title when most devs struggled to hit 720p 30 fps. There have been some incredible looking Vita games being released at full resolution even at 60 fps. How far Namco's programmers have fallen (have they all left the company or something?).

this helps me answer that GAF question - what would you do if you won seventy bazillion dollars on the lottery.

I'd get the good developers from RR5/Rage Racer etc and get them to make me a 1080p/60 remake including all the tracks ever in a Ridge game. Probably on PC so others can easily play it, but of course pad controlled (with d-pad steering)

SkylineRKR

I have the Vita game and its actually extremely bad. There is no single player at all. And yes, you have to grind the same 4 races over and over to improve your car and gain a pathetic amounf of money. The upgrade sphere grid is like 400 bucks node with nothing - 400 bucks node with nitro bonus - 400 bucks nothing - etc.

Online, you HAVE to race against equal class vehicles or you will get trounced. Problem is that the activity is low, so most of the time I have to settle with rank 7 opponents while my rank is 3. I will finish at last place, nothing to do about it. Graphically its probably worse than RR on PSP; its fuzzy, low res, low framerate...

Namco could've ported RR7 over, slashed its res and kept the 60fps and it would've been my favourite Vita game at launch.

3DS version could've been a lot better too. There's really no excuse for it not to be 60fps in 2D mode and have had online play, all it comes back to was a lack of effort on Namco's part.

mollipen

The hate in this thread makes me want to cry. Ridge Racer 2 PSP is one of my favorite RR titles every—absolutely fantastic and packed full of content. And then, Ridge Racer 7 was also great, and a lot of fun to play online.

People like me who can't get into racing sims don't have many quality options left these days. Please don't encourage the idea of us losing yet another choice. :(

steveovig

I'm still, honestly, waiting for it to release next month. It is one of the games I'm most looking forward to on the Vita. I can't get into Wipeout at all and I love the RR series.

Brigandier

I got ridge racer off the store last night, Thought it was a blast online but with only 4 tracks including the free one that was on the store, It just feels shallow, It needs some classic tracks from revolution/rage racer like right now.

3/10 game though? no I personally don't think so.

Mooreberg

The game seems like the culmination of Namco's ridiculous money grubbing that has been going on since the current hardware generation started. Please keep this shit away from TTT2 on consoles.

entremet

The hate in this thread makes me want to cry. Ridge Racer 2 PSP is one of my favorite RR titles every—absolutely fantastic and packed full of content. And then, Ridge Racer 7 was also great, and a lot of fun to play online.

People like me who can't get into racing sims don't have many quality options left these days. Please don't encourage the idea of us losing yet another choice. :(

I agree. Sims suck. Hopefully, we'll get a proper Ridge with the next consoles.

thirty

Banned
Weren't they planning on shelving the series after 7? Seems it's been pretty shitty since then. Maybe that's when things changed internally? Any word on if ridge racers 2 is gonna be downloadable anytime soon?

geebee

Banned

Really, shame on them. Ridge Racer has some of the best presentation and style of any racing series. The music and visuals give it a sense of class. It's too bad Ridge Racer didn't make the NA Vita launch.. the new songs are pretty good.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I saw a Vita commercial today. Apparently I can play my PS3 on the bus with it. Guess I don't need a Vita Ridge Racer, right?

My girlfriend saw this commercial and was amazed that you could play your PS3 games anywhere, EVERYWHERE!!! I hated having to break the news to her.....

It is a very misleading commercial.

Vita is still region free correct? So if someone really wanted this game they could always import it, not that anyone would want to.

Takao

Banned
Vita is still region free correct? So if someone really wanted this game they could always import it, not that anyone would want to.

But since this is DLC Racer you'd have to get the DLC from the region the game came from, and juggling PSN accounts on Vita isn't fun.

thirty

Banned
We need a ridge racer anthology. Hd. All courses, all music, all play styles. And single perfect rereleases for vita.

Grinchy

Banned
This thread made me realize that I've owned PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP and I've never bought a ridge racer game. I rented the one for PS1 and never bothered to go back to the series after that.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
If they released a proper RR I would have a Vita right now.

This thread made me realize that I've owned PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP and I've never bought a ridge racer game. I rented the one for PS1 and never bothered to go back to the series after that.

Same here! It's like we're.... we're Anti-RR bros.

They should sell that as a $1 app on the PSN store...

Agreed. Seriously, if anyone at Namco is reading this, please sell the visualizer as a stand alone app. Thank you!

Top Bottom