• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Bandai-Namco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wait, they did BK, too? Maybe it's not so terrible. Nintendo could definitely use a big RPG dev under their umbrella.

Firestorm said:
I know they made Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga. What else?
Does BK belong to Namco though? If so, Dragona am cry?

NAMCO x Capcom is the only other game they released outside of BK and Xeno.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hmm, so Nintendo gets 80% of Monolith stock and Bandai Namco retains 16%. That probably means Bandai Namco keeps the Xenosaga IP, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo got Baten Kaitos.

I wonder if this means Nintendo is looking to develop a strong first/second-party RPG franchise. A Baten Kaitos III would be groovy, but I'd like to see Monolith develop a new IP.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Eatable Arab said:
These are the Baiten Kaitos Origins people though!

Do want!

Actually they are only half of the Baten Kaitos development staff, the other half was Tri-Crescendo, whom are currently doing Trusty Bell.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Given how Nintendo published BK2/O everywhere they got the license as well right?

More BK for us all? :O

Grecco

Aokage said:
Hmm, so Nintendo gets 80% of Monolith stock and Bandai Namco retains 16%.

I wonder if this means Nintendo is looking to develop a strong first-party RPG franchise. A Baten Kaitos III would be groovy, but I'd like to see Monolith develop a new IP.

Cough Id settle for Golden Sunn 3 Cough :D

WTF? Of all the developers to buy out. I bet they "replace" Takahashi. Permanently. That would be for the best.

This news would be better if tri-Cresendo would be involved in their next project.

Baten Kaitos' license shouldn't be a problem: Nintendo published BKII both sides of the Pacific. I bet Namco couldn't wait to get rid of the license.

Please BKIII. With tri-Cresendo.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What are some of you people on about? This is like the third firm I can think of that was ever outright bought out by Nintendo.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Does this mean Disaster is coming along much better than we know? A la Retro and MP?

Also, anyone know what games they may have been developing for other platforms? I doubt any would get shifted to Wii as they were probably owned by Namco who will shift the games elsewhere, but it'd be interesting to know.

jj984jj

The Black Brad Pitt said:
I thought nintendo were against buying companies because once talent leaves you have nothing.
Nintendo has enough money now so not to make anymore excuses.

Dragona Akehi said:
WTF? Of all the developers to buy out. I bet they "replace" Takahashi. Permanently. That would be for the best.

This news would be better if tri-Cresendo would be involved in their next project.

Baten Kaitos' license shouldn't be a problem: Nintendo published BKII both sides of the Pacific. I bet Namco couldn't wait to get rid of the license.

Please BKIII. With tri-Cresendo.
This is crucial, please don't let Trusty Bell get in the way! (Even though it looks awesome too).

duckroll

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I guess Namco FINALLY BAILED OUT! I wonder why Nintendo would want them anyway, they've never made a single profitable game and the good developers from the Baten Kaitos series aren't even on board here.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The Black Brad Pitt said:
I thought nintendo were against buying companies because once talent leaves you have nothing.
They're against the forceful aquiring of developers against the wishes of some of the staff a practice MS perfected last gen. When a company wants to become Nintendo exclusive why not buy them out. I doubt we'll see any resignations from Monolith.

jj984jj

Shard said:
Also, sometimes a talent exodus works for the better, see Retro Studios.
:lol

Rare/Silicon Knights/Left Field am cry? Actually, what does Monolith Soft have that they don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom