• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny 2 info from EDGE #310

ultrazilla

It means they cut out content for DLC, while keeping their progression system intact.

/s

100% on the money.

Grrrrrrrr.

Can we clarify the "over 80 missions/pve activities" are in the main Destiny 2 game or did that get cut down for the expansion passes being sold along with it?

100% on the money.

Grrrrrrrr.

Can we clarify the "over 80 missions/pve activities" are in the main Destiny 2 game or did that get cut down for the expansion passes being sold along with it?

They're pretty much in the main game. When they say over 80 missions, they mean all the PvE activities (Story, Adventures, Strikes, Lost Sectors, etc...)

Time limits are rarely ever a good idea in any form (Dead Rising and Majora's Mask come to mind, though even then it's controversial), so that's a big thumbs-down.

As someone who played about 40 hours of Destiny 1 + DLC before running out of things to do, I'm really interested in knowing the following:

-What, if anything, they're doing to make the game's best content (Raids and Strikes) accessible to solo players.
-Have they finally accepted that people generally hate the platforming/environmental hazards (especially after the Beta) and dialed them back or removed them?

Bastos

Miss me with that time-restricted Nightfall.
tenor.gif
?
We were sent back to Orbit before, losing time in process(I loved it), I don't understand the complaint LOL.

I wish that Nightfalls were like before, if the party wipes you have to do it all again.

ethomaz

Banned
Time limits are rarely ever a good idea in any form (Dead Rising and Majora's Mask come to mind, though even then it's controversial), so that's a big thumbs-down.

As someone who played about 40 hours of Destiny 1 + DLC before running out of things to do, I'm really interested in knowing the following:

-What, if anything, they're doing to make the game's best content (Raids and Strikes) accessible to solo players.
-Have they finally accepted that people generally hate the platforming/environmental hazards (especially after the Beta) and dialed them back or removed them?
- Raid should be cooperative team... no solo in any hypothesis. Strikes if you can finish it solo fine but the difficult needs to be high enough to you prefer cooperative team play.

- Platforming is one of the fun things in the Raids... it should stay.

I mean why some guys wants Destiny not to be Destiny.

FWIW, they changed the turbines with only one turbine in "Homecoming" opening mission for release

ethomaz

Banned
?
We were sent back to Orbit before, losing time in process(I loved it), I don't understand the complaint LOL.

I wish that Nightfalls were like before, if the party wipes you have to do it all again.
I support reward for teams that finish the NF in one go.

mikelarry

Sounds interesting seems like it may turn out to be what ubisoft did with AC2, but I will still wait a couple of weeks before getting this to let initial hype and rose tinted glasses effect wear off

Sounds good except for time limits. I fucking hate time limits in pretty much anything unless it's just a single mission from a game with a story or something like that. It just boils down to learning it and going "what parts can we completely avoid/run through" which is lame imo.

Dammit.

Aggressive play sounds good though. It's the way I prefer to play.

- Raid should be cooperative team... no solo in any hypothesis. Strikes if you can finish it solo fine but the difficult needs to be high enough to you prefer cooperative team play.

- Platforming is one of the fun things in the Raids... it should stay.

I mean why some guys wants Destiny not to be Destiny.

Why not have difficulty that scales depending on the number of players?

How many players have a group of friends who also play the game and are free at the same time and are wiling to dump 2-5 hours into a single mission with the possibility of total failure?

It's just a little silly to safeguard one of the best parts of the game for the sake of maintaining it's purity in the eyes of the 15% (at most, I'll have to check trophy percentages) of the playerbase that experiences it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My biggest concern was lack of content, Y1 Destiny style. Sounds like they may have avoided that mistake this time around. Encouraging.

DC1

Garbage always smell great to Oscars.
I have no idea how to directly apply this with pin point focus.. but it came to me and I like it!
The time limit is being implemented to box in the shoebox. I should be able solo the NF using the greatest skill of them all: Patience.

If I'm penalized in any way for using my greatest tool then I will be very displeased however..will continue to play because this stupid as$ game is way too fun with friends.

ethomaz

Banned

How many players have a group of friends who also play the game and are free at the same time and are wiling to dump 2-5 hours into a single mission with the possibility of total failure?

It's just a little silly to safeguard one of the best parts of the game for the sake of maintaining it's purity in the eyes of the 15% (at most, I'll have to check trophy percentages) of the playerbase that experiences it.
22%

Scale difficult how? I agree it needs to become harder to solo or less players to estimulante them to play cooperative.

Raids needs puzzle and boss fights that requires a full foreteam to play syncronized talking with each other.

That is what Destiny means.

If you want a solo experience there are dozen of the games in the market that are better in that aspect.

You buy Destiny knowing it is a cooperative experience.

You read and talk with gamers that played Destiny and found it absolutely boring... a deception... but when you put this same guy to play with a fireteam then it changes his mind to the point to says it to be one of the best experiences in their game life.

That is Destiny.

Forget the borefest solo... plays in teams... talks, laugh, joke, distress, make friends (even if online), cry, hate, etc... do everything with others in the same fireteam.

Destiny is absolutely magical.

Cornbread78

Fuck time limits, like seriously...

Other than that, I can't wait.

I just wish there was a way to add a 6 player "mini raid" via matchmaking to fill in the gap between strikes and raids. 30-45 mins long)

They should pose a challange, but not have mechanics that would sink a team if 1 or 2 players dropped out...

Ramirez

There was a time limit on the Cabal bros strike in TTK in one of the missions, it was pretty generous and easy. I don't see the issue, it just encourages efficient play for the highest rewards.

As for the progression, what they mean is you maxed out your LL way before you finished the content. Why wouldn't you want them to tweak that so it's more of a meaningful journey through all of the content? There were quests in TTK that gave you awful rewards for like 10 step quest lines, lol.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think one of the "progression" fixes may involve giving unique, discrete rewards at certain milestones. I believe they mentioned that Warlock exotic that boosts grenade cooldowns with floating kills as being rewarded through the campaign rather than RNG? Probably a good move to do a lot of that with potential "bread and butter" utility exotics across all classes and ranges of activity. Might help alleviate complaints that the classes now don't allow as much free-form mixing and matching of perks.

Provides a sense of progression for engaging in campaign activity. Boosts build variety and utility as you progress.

urge26

I personally love the time limit on Nightfall. I can think of a handful that gave myself playing with clan mates a hard time, and feel like it needs to be a really difficult challenge.

Also, while I respect the solo players out there I can't think of a reason why Bungie couldn't implement a second Nightfall challenge for those that want to solo it, but Bungie didn't design it around solo play, it is a team based quest after all.

pantsmith

Yo, the argument about raids has been had over and over again. Guided games is as good a solution as any, and I think adequately represents criticisms from both sides.

On some level you have to accept that "raids" are specifically designed to be played by six people who are all communicating (this is actually fairly specific design space), and if you want to play them but not get a group of six then why do you cate? Its like getting mad that you cant play soccer because you refuse to make a commitment.

Yes, not everyone has six people available to play (for example I only have two), and not everyone has a regular schedule, but if you want the experience you think youre missing out on something has to give.

Arrrammis

Everyone complaining about Destiny 2 having time-limited Nightfalls... Destiny 1 already has them! If you don't finish in time you still get the basic Nightfall rewards, but you completely miss out on exclusive armor armor and weapons (including the much coveted Ice Breaker exotic sniper).

The timer is not restrictive, generally they give you something like 30 minutes for a strike that you can finish (even on Nightfall difficulty) in 10 minutes if at least 2/3 people know what they're doing.

urge26

Its like getting mad that you cant play soccer because you refuse to make a commitment.

Yes, not everyone has six people available to play (for example I only have two), and not everyone has a regular schedule, but if you want the experience you think youre missing out on something has to give.

Agreed. I cried at the beginning of Vanilla Destiny about not having a group to play with. What it forced me to do was find a group that loved the game as much as I did, section out 2 4 hour time periods a week and keep up with the progression. It made me a better player and also some people who will most likely become lifelong friends. We have a 4 day party which has become one of my favorite parts of the summer on an annual basis. Sadly Destiny isn't built around being a causal player of the game, that's just the facts.

dyergram

Everyone complaining about Destiny 2 having time-limited Nightfalls... Destiny 1 already has them! If you don't finish in time you still get the basic Nightfall rewards, but you completely miss out on exclusive armor armor and weapons (including the much coveted Ice Breaker exotic sniper).

The timer is not restrictive, generally they give you something like 30 minutes for a strike that you can finish (even on Nightfall difficulty) in 10 minutes if at least 2/3 people know what they're doing.
Black spindle was the only propper time limit quest last time and it was frustraighting but super satisfying when we finally did it.

KJRS_1993

No way, I love them and think they're great.

I'll believe the "80 activities" when I see it though to be honest. Do they count the 'Kill enemies' and the 'Kill enemies and pick up their drops' type patrol missions as two separate activities for instance? (they shouldn't).

robo

This would also include all of the patrol variations. Which leaves not many things left for story missions all together.

Patrols dont count i think, each planet has over 10, 4 planets at vanila meant over 40 patrols, over half of what d2 is counting.

I just can't see patrols being counted in tbe 80. It would reduce everyting else to 1-2 missions, adventures etc per planet.

Ramirez

When you take into account campaign, missions, lost sectors, strikes, flashpoints, adventures, public events, and patrol missions...80 isn't exactly a crazy number to believe.

Mindlog

smh

The mission to get Black Spindle was one of the best in the game. Tough as nails the first time around. Perfected and aced as we learned to master the thing. More tough PvE timers please.

Actually I'm going to go ahead and call it second best behind Fear's Embrace.

#1) Fear's Embrace
#2) Lost to Light Daily Heroic Ketch variant
#3) Crota's End (entire raid solo)

Best PvE content right there.

_woLf

Time limits will make nightfall completion limited to a more exclusive group...not sure I like that. :/

Syril

Oh shit, I forgot about that. Have they broken down how it will work yet?
I think it was something like groups can set themselves open to guided games if they're mostly assembled for the activity, and then the player looking for a group can look at the groups with slots to fill along with their "mission statements" to try to find people they would get along with, with the idea being that you could make friends through it.

Time limited Nightfalls sound awful.

Seems like a Bungie thing to do honestly, like how they limit every collectable value to a low-ish limit so you can never horde credits or shards before you max out, forcing you to spend them often so you don't waste the next batch you earn.

Frustrating.

Gator86

Instead of making it difficult to solo nightfalls they just introduce a restriction. Unless they make them significantly easier I can foresee repeating the intros being super tedious.

It's their design philosophy for D2. Anything that could potentially make something harder for them or more difficult to balance, remove it. Players soloing or glitching in hiding spots? Add a strict time limit.

I don't believe the content thing. I'm sorry, Bungie just isn't a believable messenger.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
NFs already have a generous timer and scoring system. This complaint seems really overblown.

Edit: instead we should be talking about how we’re less than a month away from launch and hunters have been seemingly nerfed into the ground, yet bungie doesn’t want edge to even give us any information that could change the perception of how shitty the class currently is.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Will there be matchmaking for story missions this time around?

They haven't said anything about that yet so I'm led to believe there isn't.

Which would of course be another ridiculous thing to leave out of the game by Bungie, just like they're still not introducing actual matchmaking for Nightfalls.

Kyoufu

They haven't said anything about that yet so I'm led to believe there isn't.

Which would of course be another ridiculous thing to leave out of the game by Bungie, just like they're still not introducing actual matchmaking for Nightfalls.

I wish I hadn't pre-ordered this game digitally.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It shouldn't be that difficult. It really shouldn't.

Optional normal matchmaking for story missions, Nightfall and arena modes like Prison of the Elders. Press a single button to turn on or off.

In-game LFG for Raids and Trials. The Guided games concept is a nice idea but the fact that it doesn't work for Heroic difficulty is insane. Give people in-game LFG.

(Also, they still haven't commented on whether or not we can equip multiple emotes at once yet, despite Eververse being confirmed to be coming back.)

Jafku

NFs already have a generous timer and scoring system. This complaint seems really overblown.

Edit: instead we should be talking about how we’re less than a month away from launch and hunters have been seemingly nerfed into the ground, yet bungie doesn’t want edge to even give us any information that could change the perception of how shitty the class currently is.

Hunters are absolutely fine in my humble opinion. It's people who just need to learn to adapt to the new changes.

Falchion

Time limits on nightfalls? Gross. Sounds like a lot of restarting the mission instead of chipping away slowly. I get what they're going for, but it puts even more emphasis on grinding for high level gear so that you can move quickly through everything.

Top Bottom