• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

For all the complaints that might be levelled against the music, dungeons, bosses, stealth sections, story, voice acting, lack of dog/fish petting, Amiibo-locked content and the censorship of Purah's swimsuit scene, this is by far the most major issue holding BoTW back from being as flawless as is realistically possible.

Yep. Jim was right. Slant was right. The game really is mediocre.

Brakke

Banned
Of the 3 or 4 armor sets that are in the "wild," only one set is obvious where the other 2 pieces are after finding the first.

The rest are luck, unless I missed some clues in journals or spoken by NPCs which is very possible.

Yeah the Savage set is easy to figure out, but the Rubber set had me frustrated for ages. The locations kind of made sense on their own but I couldn't really anticipate the others after finding the first.

random25

Weirdly i've had some lynels drop nothing upon defeat.... They only drop their horns/huts etc

I cant be the only one this happened to

That's weird. The only thing I don't constantly get against lynels are shields because only the sword wielding ones seem to drop them. Otherwise, I always get their bow and weapon upon their defeat.

Dr.Hadji

For all the complaints that might be levelled against the music, dungeons, bosses, stealth sections, story, voice acting, lack of dog/fish petting, Amiibo-locked content and the censorship of Purah's swimsuit scene, this is by far the most major issue holding BoTW back from being as flawless as is realistically possible.

No lies detected. I try to avoid that faker whenever possible. He was kind of a jerk in Skyward Sword too. Faker there as well.

darklin0

Banned
Tarrey Town
quest is pretty long and involved. Thought I would get something nicer at the end!
I forgot about that after Hudson left and recently bumped into it again after tons of hours of exploration. I felt it was pretty cool how it pulled at location knowledge of people you talked to through your journey. I knew where everyone was located and it felt really rewarding.
I can't think of a name for (horse spoilers)
the Royal White Horse
. Any ideas, GAF?
I named mine Artax. I put a copyright on it, none of you can use that name now.
My favorite random sound is Karson going "nyagh!" When they are about to build something.

I am sad I wont be able to hear it again because I bought all the upgrades. T-T

Plum

Something just hit me regarding the (side quest spoilers)
Tarry Town quest
and Rito Village:

Why wasn't that #firstbirdproblems guy complaining about having to help his mum out in her shop a "___son" character? In hindsight's he's the perfect fit for the quest!

Stencil

Can anyone explain the Fairy Fountain upgrades and whether or not they stack?

So for example, if I go to the fairy who upgrades a great amount, can I then go to the fairy who upgrades a small amount and get add'l defense points? Will I need to go to both to get the most out of my armor?

vypek

Can anyone explain the Fairy Fountain upgrades and whether or not they stack?

So for example, if I go to the fairy who upgrades a great amount, can I then go to the fairy who upgrades a small amount and get add'l defense points? Will I need to go to both to get the most out of my armor?

When you unlock a new fairy, all of them do the same upgrades. So if you unlocked the second fairy, both the first and the second will be capable of doing the same upgrades. They will all do a great amount when you reach that level of upgrade

Wait... Prince Sidon... P. Sidon... Poseidon.

Lol. Yes. And Dorephan is dolphin for anyone who didn't notice

Something just hit me regarding the (side quest spoilers)
Tarry Town quest
and Rito Village:

Why wasn't that #firstbirdproblems guy complaining about having to help his mum out in her shop a "___son" character? In hindsight's he's the perfect fit for the quest!

Uhhhh. You're not done with the quest I see.

Blues1990

With regards to the Wolf Link amiibo, can you spawn Wolf Link as many times as you like? Like, say that it dies, can you revive it? Or is it a one-off thing and it can never be summoned ever again?

Anything else I should know about increasing it's hearts?

Evantide island lol

Died there then had to start again...since I respawned on the rock I landed on just outside the island, I dropped a few good things, walked into the island, got my gear removed, then walked back to pick up the stuff I dropped

With regards to the Wolf Link amiibo, can you spawn Wolf Link as many times as you like? Like, say that it dies, can you revive it? Or is it a one-off thing and it can never be summoned ever again?

As far as I know, once per day, like most other amiibo.

By the way, a loading screen tip says that it will lead you to anything you have set the radar to detect, which is pretty cool.

Just found the
blood moon
shrine.

Seems like a poorly thought out idea, considering there's no warning when one is coming up, and you can't possibly get to the area quick enough when one starts.
Idk, maybe you could just make it if you warp to the shrine with the lord of the mountain and glide over?

Just found the
blood moon
shrine.

Seems like a poorly thought out idea, considering there's no warning when one is coming up, and you can't possibly get to the area quick enough when one starts.
Idk, maybe you could just make it if you warp to the shrine with the lord of the mountain and glide over?

You can always check in with the guy at dueling peaks stable who will tell you the day's moon. Or you could just backup an old save once the blood moon happens to go back before it starts

Golnei

If they were really committed to their puns, they would have called Sidon the Dauphin of Zorana.

Just found the
blood moon
shrine.

I guess you could check with Hino in the morning of that day and have a full day's notice as a result, but it's still inconvenient to expect players to check back there every ingame day until a chance comes up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I always notice a blood moon coming up as it just starts to rise. It takes a while to actually trigger.

Was cool to find Kass' diary though, only quest of his I'd missed was the one in the bay south of Hateno.

You can always check in with the guy at dueling peaks stable who will tell you the day's moon. Or you could just backup an old save once the blood moon happens to go back before it starts

I guess you could check with Hino in the morning of that day and have a full day's notice as a result, but it's still inconvenient to expect players to check back there every ingame day until a chance comes up.

I did not know this was a thing.

JJD

So I just got my Switch!

This game is a dream, I'm loving it! The only thing pissing me off is that I need a fucking amiibo to get Link's classic costume... :-(

There is no other way to get the costume??? Even as DLC? I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for the costume...

Blues1990

As far as I know, once per day, like most other amiibo.

By the way, a loading screen tip says that it will lead you to anything you have set the radar to detect, which is pretty cool.

Ah, cheers. My friend wants a wolf companion for his quest, so this info is much appreciated.

From one of the analysis videos, seems like you can use stasis on some weapons to prevent enemies from grabbing them? On the video I saw a moblin was going to grab a tree trunk but the player used stasis on it and the moblin was no longer able to pick it up.

Pretty crazy if thats what really happened!

So I just got my Switch!

This game is a dream, I'm loving it! The only thing pissing me off is that I need a fucking amiibo to get Link's classic costume... :-(

There is no other way to get the costume??? Even as DLC? I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for the costume...

Finish all 120 shrines.

Addi

Just found the
blood moon
shrine.

This one is really easy. Did it today.
Made a fire by the platform, slept till the evening a couple of times. the third time I woke up the platform was lit up. It doesn't have to be midnight on a blood moon, just the same evening.

Blues1990

So I just got my Switch!

This is spoilers for completing all the shrines, but if you want to know:

After completing all the shrines, you get a costume called "Tunic of the Wild", which is a redesign that is heavily based off of the NES tunic. It's a great alternative if you don't want to hunt down the 8-Bit figurine.

psyfi

Banned
I'm exploring Hyrule Castle for the second time and MAN I missed SO MUCH stuff the first time.
I apparently rushed to the top of the castle (and accidentally triggered the final fight with Ganon) the first time, and missed all the stuff lower down. The library, the dining hall, Zelda's study, etc. I found the memory in the castle too, and man, the king is a dick. Makes me like the Old Man a lot less, which is a bummer caused I loved him so much in the early game.

Stopdoor

From one of the analysis videos, seems like you can use stasis on some weapons to prevent enemies from grabbing them? On the video I saw a moblin was going to grab a tree trunk but the player used stasis on it and the moblin was no longer able to pick it up.

Pretty crazy if thats what really happened!

This makes sense, Stasis freezes items from all types of movement including gravity so it wouldn't make sense enemies could pick it up.

dcx4610

Man, I'm having a really tough time finding a game to play after BotW. It was such an interesting and unique experience, everything after feels like such a downgrade.

There are lots of features that other Zelda games had which seemed superfluous and BOTW made worthwhile.

This comment is so true; I also love how it reinvents a lot of Zelda traditions in new ways that aren't even immediately obvious. For example, in most Zeldas your primary means of getting rupees are cutting grass and killing enemies. Here, neither yield rupees, but cutting grass reveals bugs and lizards, and enemies drop parts; mixing both gets you elixirs that sell quite well.

QUOTE=Megasoum;232459993]Huh...

I just noticed that my MS is doing 60 damage... Isn't it 30 when you first pick it up? What affects that?[/QUOTE]

When you're close to certain kinds of enemies (mostly guardians, I think), or in dungeons, it will glow blue and deal 60 damage.

JakeD

Anything else I should know about increasing it's hearts?

Wolf link will stay with you for 20 mins or so and disappear, but unlike other amiibo, you can call him again the same day. Unless he dies. If he dies, you can use him again in 24 hours

Vena

10 more shrines, no guides and going it all natural.

giphy.gif

Anteo

Just found the
blood moon
shrine.

You can see the red moon in the sky way before the cutscene starts, so just check the sky once in a while and teleprot to the shirine when you get one

Finally found a second fairy fountain earlier today. I had no idea there was even anything of interest in the area, let alone a shrine and a fountain. Thank god I went against basic logic and went there lol. I was just expecting a korok seed. 70 hours in, game is still surprising me.

kneePat

I'm exploring Hyrule Castle for the second time and MAN I missed SO MUCH stuff the first time.
I apparently rushed to the top of the castle (and accidentally triggered the final fight with Ganon) the first time, and missed all the stuff lower down. The library, the dining hall, Zelda's study, etc. I found the memory in the castle too, and man, the king is a dick. Makes me like the Old Man a lot less, which is a bummer caused I loved him so much in the early game.

If Zelda has her own study, don't you think the King should have one too?

Crayolan

Look around the Library a little harder if you want to get a peek into the King's perspective on things.

Whales

Banned
So i finally finished the game, after 60h. At one point I got tired of shrines and decided to just finish it up

BotW is a great game, there's no denying it. But there is a lot that can be improved, IMO, in the next zelda games. Here is my short list:

-Better dungeons ( and more of them)
-More enemy variety... Seeing the same bokoblins and moblins everywhere was honestly boring.
-Better bosses ( seriously, bosses in this game are pretty lame... Lynels are harder and more fun to fight. All of the bosses have the same old
EYE SWEETSPOT!!! DONT SHOOT MY EYE PLEASE
weakness
- Make rain less annoying lol
-Make dashes slightly better. The current ones are useful but they feel too floaty to me, you can get hit out of the air with some attacks with them even if you use them properly because of how slow the dashes are. This would improve the gameplay a lot IMO
- Less shrines please... and other ways to get stamina/ hearts that aren't just shrines
-Shrines could be more appealing aesthetically, it would help making them less ''samey''. For example shrines in D
eath
M
ountain
could be fire themed, or have more of a Goron look, etc.

All that being said, BotW is probably still one of the best Zelda game ever made. Good job on nintendo for going from ''Handholding babymode enemies hit for a quarter health'' zelda games to a ''Challengingly difficult get one shot by everything son'' zelda game

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Got frustrated trying to find the eighth gerardo statue during that quest and looked it up online. Turns out the in-game hint as to its location wasn't 100% accurate. I hate having to do it but sometimes I just want to move on.

Next is trying to figure out how to get to that back section of the desert that the game is gating me off from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom