• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection - Is it worth to play?

Diancecht

Uncharted 4 was one of the main reasons I've bought PS4 a couple of months ago. I also got a copy of Nathan Drake Collection to experience Nathan's journey for the first time. But I just can't...

I tried to the first game a couple of months ago. It doesn't hold well in this day and age. Gameplay was boring, exploration was easy and I didn't give two shits about the main story. So I stopped playing. A week ago I was able to finally complete the first game (the last 3 hours was a fucking nightmare, BoreFest 2017) and started playing Uncharted 2 yesterday... I don't think this series is for me? I can't get past the Istanbul level because it is mind bogglingly boring.

I just want to play the last game because it is modern and it looks that they nailed the formula. But I feel so bad just skipping two games in the series that everyone loves and adores.

Frostman

I don't think the series is for you personally. UC4 is longer, slower and has more climbing sections. I loved it, but I can't imagine you will.

You already own it though, so just give it a go. You can jump in and enjoy the story no problem.

You already have it so yeah why not. Uncharted 2 doesn't get really good until you get into the Nepalese city, so play a bit into that before you decide if you want to stick with it or not.

Uncharted 4 was one of the main reasons I've bought PS4 a couple of months ago. I also got a copy of Nathan Drake Collection to experience Nathan's journey for the first time. But I just can't...

I tried to the first game a couple of months ago. It doesn't hold well in this day and age. Gameplay was boring, exploration was easy and I didn't give two shits about the main story. So I stopped playing. A week ago I was able to finally complete the first game (the last 3 hours was a fucking nightmare, BoreFest 2017) and started playing Uncharted 2 yesterday... I don't think this series is for me? I can't get past the Istanbul level because it is mind bogglingly boring.

I just want to play the last game because it is modern and it looks that they nailed the formula. But I feel so bad just skipping two games in the series that everyone loves and adores.

You hate it, so why torture yourself? Uncharted 2 is the high point for the series. If that doesn't win you over, none of it will. Abandon ship.

OP, Uncharted 2 really picks up. Play a handful of more hours through the train level. If that doesn't get you off, it's safe to say the series is not for you.

black070

Doesn't sound like its for you bud, finding the first a slog is understandable but Uncharted 2 is the series at its absolute peak - if it doesn't win you over, 3 and 4 won't do much to change your mind.

Doesn't sound like the series is for you. If you found the beginning portion of 2 boring then I doubt you'll like 4. 4 is full of quiet sections that aren't action driven.

They've definitely aged, the first one most of all. So much of their appeal at the time was the technical achievement on display in the setpieces and the verisimilitude of the characters in cutscenes. None of that is going to amaze someone coming to it for the first time today.

That said, they remain engaging, campy romps and I will always have a fondness for them.

Edit: I didn't realize you haven't played 4 yet. Just skip to that one. It's a different beast than the first 3, and the story is divorced enough that you won't be too handicapped for not having played them.

actually, they're all pretty 'modern'. & the formula's basically still the formula :) ...

Memento

Uncharted 2 is GOTG material from the PS3 era, you should keep going.

UC4 is probably the best though, especially from a gameplay perspective.

killatopak

Gold Member
joining the op in asking if worth.

I've already played UC1 and 2. Is it worth it to get just for the remastered visuals and UC3?

I think UC2 and UC3 hold up quite well. You should give those a shot if they're ever on sale for cheap. But you should know that they build on the formula of the first game, so if you don't like cover shooters and linear """platforming""", then you probably won't like them either.

I have it, played 1 and now I'm just waiting for a hypothetical PS4 Pro patch to play 2 and 3 in 4K. After seeing TLoU I really wanna see how good 2/3 look in 4K/HDR.

Come on Bluepoint/Sony!

Muffdraul

OP's take is kinda surprising to me, I didn't think U4 was that different from the previous games. Obviously there was an evolution over the whole series. My pov might be kinda weird though, I've never been a huge fan. Based on the U1 demo I was going to pass on the full game, but the glowing word of mouth after it came out made me change my mind. Ultimately I thought it was about what I expected; the traversal was like Ico minus the charm, the combat was like Gears of War minus the adrenaline. What won me over was the characters and their repartee, that's what kept me coming back to the sequels. Game play wise I think they're pretty tepid, yes even U2 and to some degree U4 as well. Fun enough for me though, apparently. I bought and played NDC when it came out, no ragrets. [sic]

Diancecht

I see what you all are saying.

My friends also tell me the second game gets much better after a long intro. I'll try to push through the slog.

Kolx

I don't think the series is for you personally. UC4 is longer, slower and has more climbing sections. I loved it, but I can't imagine you will.

You already own it though, so just give it a go. You can jump in and enjoy the story no problem.

I liked UN4 way more than UN2. He could feel the same about the series.

joms5

All 3 games hold up incredibly well. I don't see what people are complaining about with 1. It's a standard 3rd person shooter without any of the huge set pieces that are common in 2 and 3.

The first game has one of the most consistent stories of the 3.

Totally worth it for the collection.

danowat

Banned
The collection was my first contact with UC, I thought the first one was terrible, second one slightly better and the third the best of the bunch.

None of the three have aged particularly well (imo), but I am glad I played them, if nothing else just to see how far things have progressed over the 4 games.

I played all 3 games last fall and they absolutely hold up. DF's looks dated and has the worst level design out of the 3 imo but it still holds up. The shooting on all 3 feels crisp and responsive.

You owe it to yourself to play through then OP, some of the best PS3 games, now on PS4 as the definitive versions.

OP's take is kinda surprising to me, I didn't think U4 was that different from the previous games. Obviously there was an evolution over the whole series. My pov might be kinda weird though, I've never been a huge fan. Based on the U1 demo I was going to pass on the full game, but the glowing word of mouth after it came out made me change my mind. Ultimately I thought it was about what I expected; the traversal was like Ico minus the charm, the combat was like Gears of War minus the adrenaline. What won me over was the characters and their repartee, that's what kept me coming back to the sequels. Game play wise I think they're pretty tepid, yes even U2 and to some degree U4 as well. Fun enough for me though, apparently.

1 has too much shooting, 4 has WAY too little shooting. 2 and 3 are a great middle ground if you ask me.

4 has the best encounter design and the shooting feels the best (despite being 30fps vs. remasters being 60) but there's just not enough of it. The much more open level design was definitely welcome though, it makes the combat encounters a bit more interesting and non-linear.

bede-x

Doesn't sound like the series is for you. I don't like them either finding them too scripted, full of fake tension and not enough player agency. Mediocrity incarnate as far as I'm concerned.

It's ok, no game is for everyone. Skip them and play something that appeals more to you.

I really didn't like the first game, but the second ended up being one of my favorites at the time (~2010). 2 from Nepal onwards was great, so I suggest at least playing further in 2.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Uncharted games aren't fun to me on higher difficulties. Keep it at medium or lower.

If you don't enjoy the characters or the stories then the series has very little to offer.
If you don't enjoy those or the big set pieces then the series has nothing to offer.

CHC

You could probably skip to 4 but I would keep playing 2 until you get to Nepal. That was really where they started to refine the formula into something excellent.

I played the original back in like 2008 and just recently tried to replay it. Doesn't hold up very well. Novel at the time, but not really worth playing since it offers nothing that has not since been done better.

Keep going with 2 and if you can't stand it switch to 4, as a last resort.

Frostman

I liked UN4 way more than UN2. He could feel the same about the series.

The reason I don't think he/she will is because UC4 is a lot less action in comparison, and a lot more traversing. He specifically says he dislikes "easy exploration", which UC4 is full off.

But on the flip side, he may well love it. I know I do, Uncharted is one of my favourite series. But I love the 'easy exploration', it's fun to me.

Diancecht

What difficulty are you playing on?

Uncharted games aren't fun to me on higher difficulties. Keep it at medium or lower.

If you don't enjoy the characters or the stories then the series has very little to offer.
If you don't enjoy those or the big set pieces then the series has nothing to offer.

Give Uncharted 2 a couple more hours. If it's still not clicking, drop the series.

Playing on Easy.

Like I said, I'll give it a try for couple of hours.

bman94

Yeah, Uncharted 1 was a slog to get through. Uncharted 2 seems the most refined so far but is still a bit boring on the plot side. I'm liking Uncharted 3 the best so far. Plot is the best one yet, shooting is very solid and the exploration parts are nice big and grand. Currently it's a big headache at the boat section of the game (about 70%) finished and it's frustrating me to no end. The difficulty spikes in the Uncharted series are extremely frustrating and are my least favorite parts period. The shooting itself is just serviceable at best and I mainly play them out of necessity, not fun. And it's difficult for me on just playing on Normal.

All 3 games hold up incredibly well. I don't see what people are complaining about with 1. It's a standard 3rd person shooter without any of the huge set pieces that are common in 2 and 3.

The first game has one of the most consistent stories of the 3.

Totally worth it for the collection.

My biggest issue with Uncharted 1 is that it's just a standard 3 person shooter...that's not a good third person shooter.

Ascenion

OP's take is kinda surprising to me, I didn't think U4 was that different from the previous games. Obviously there was an evolution over the whole series. My pov might be kinda weird though, I've never been a huge fan. Based on the U1 demo I was going to pass on the full game, but the glowing word of mouth after it came out made me change my mind. Ultimately I thought it was about what I expected; the traversal was like Ico minus the charm, the combat was like Gears of War minus the adrenaline. What won me over was the characters and their repartee, that's what kept me coming back to the sequels. Game play wise I think they're pretty tepid, yes even U2 and to some degree U4 as well. Fun enough for me though, apparently. I bought and played NDC when it came out, no ragrets. [sic]

I don't think OP has played U4 yet. They are trying to do a 1-4 run and so far don't care for the series yet.

OP if you don't like 2 I'd quit there. 3 and 4 imo are basically the two halves of U2 if it was split apart. 3 is straight action and 4 is...something.

Staal

Never owned a PS3 and always heard great stories about UC2 and UC3.
However, when I bought the series later on PS4 I was really disappointed. You need to be invested in the story, otherwise it's another linear shooter.

Servbot24

Banned
If you tried 2 and 4 and didn't like them then the series isn't for you. They are what they are, playing more won't really change your opinion.

jdstorm

Banned
Yeah, Uncharted 1 was a slog to get through. Uncharted 2 seems the most refined so far but is still a bit boring on the plot side. I'm liking Uncharted 3 the best so far. Plot is the best one yet, shooting is very solid and the exploration parts are nice big and grand. Currently it's a big headache at the boat section of the game (about 70%) finished and it's frustrating me to no end. The difficulty spikes in the Uncharted series are extremely frustrating and are my least favorite parts period. The shooting itself is just serviceable at best and I mainly play them out of necessity, not fun. And it's difficult for me on just playing on Normal.

My biggest issue with Uncharted 1 is that it's just a standard 3 person shooter...that's not a good third person shooter.

You should just turn it down to easy. Uncharted games rely so heavily on story that dealing with death and frustration just isn't worth it when it can be avoided as it interrupts that.

Istanbul is like the second chapter? It's the only stealth required section in the game and the game is on the up and up from there

AGoodODST

My first time playing the games was via the collection.

First game is garbage. Second and third are really good. I'd say they are definitely worth a go. I've not played 4 so don't know if it's hard going back though.

Don't torture yourself if you don't enjoy this type of game.

I like all of them to be honest. And for me the first one is on the same tier as the others..., all great and fun games.

Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 4.

If you loved 4 there's a chance you will dislike all three games.
To me Uncharted 4 was slow, boring and overall disappointing compared to the previous games. It was still a good game though.

Humdinger

Uncharted 1 is the most primitive of the games, but I still loved it. If you found it as hideously boring as you said, that's a bad sign. If you're also finding #2 a "slog," that's a bad sign, too.

I'd say give it up. If you haven't found anything to like yet, you're not suddenly going to become a fan. The series just isn't for some people. No sense pushing yourself to play something you find boring.

Reset

The series isn't for you most likely. If you didn't enjoy Uncharted 2 (or 3), then I can't see you enjoying 4 either. 4 is the worst game in the series.

rekameohs

Banned
Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 4.

If you loved 4 there's a chance you will dislike all three games.
To me Uncharted 4 was slow, boring and overall disappointing compared to the previous games. It was still a good game though.
Huh, I've never heard of someone liking UC1 more than 2, let alone the whole series. To each their own.

Allforce

I borrowed this collection from a friend just thinking I could go back and quickly revisit some of the best sequences from the series.

Disappointed after installing it to find there was no chapter select baked into the start and instead I would have to play through each entire game again.

I couldn't even get through uncharted 4, my first uncharted game, so I wouldn't know. Not sure why I even responded to this thread, lol. Boring Sunday.

Huh, I've never heard of someone liking UC1 more than 2, let alone the whole series. To each their own.

It had the best pacing and the best ending imo. You also don't travel around the world so there's a sense of place. Oh and I like the
supernatural stuff
at the end. Like Indy (except Indy 4 that movie doesn't exist). One of the reasons why I dislike Uncharted 4.

Uncharted 3 has a pretty cool beginning, cool characters (Charlie Cutter!!), very nice locations and a nice twist
(poisoned water, Sully [not] dying)
. Also: Very good pacing except Syria.

Top Bottom