• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man screenshots (PS3) *56K run forrest run*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Doesn't look very good. None of the Insomniac games (PS2 and PS3) really look that good if you ask me, except for that PS3 R&C trailer which really looked stunning.

Xenon

41261420060619_225202_9_big.jpg

Lighting looks off to me. Look at the shadow of the whatever-it-is and look at the light source behind him @ 6'oclock(12'oclock being the dir he is facing) the shadow is being cast as if the light source was @ 4'oclock) The box behind him is casting a shadow in the same direction which does not reflect the lights location. Also the shadowed side seems lighter thn the rest of the box. The walls all are all lit the same, as is the ceiling.

I think they just added a single light source to take these shots. Im sure they'll have the lighting worked out in the the final product.

xaosslug

why come in Resistance threads peeps seem to always forget how this game's strength isn't its graphics but its physics. :p

considering the physics Resistance is supposed to boast... i think it looks amazing. Anyway, I give Resistance: Fall of Man the same leeway as Warhawk/MotorStorm that's for sure, in the graphics department.

Speevy

Banned
I think Insomniac is a great developer, so I hope this game isn't seen as "ordinary", which is an impression these screens give.

REV 09

FiRez said:
I guess it could be done on xbox360
the original xbox could come pretty close to this. Whoever hypes this game hasn't played many first person shooters. The 360 had 3 FPS titles at launch...Quake 4, COD2, and PDZ. I would take any of those 3 over Resistance in it's current build. It needs some serious work imo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
REV 09 said:
The 360 had 3 FPS titles at launch...Quake 4, COD2, and PDZ. I would take any of those 3 over Resistance in it's current build.

Ouch. That's harsh!

REV 09 said:
Whoever hypes this game hasn't played many first person shooters. The 360 had 3 FPS titles at launch...Quake 4, COD2, and PDZ. I would take any of those 3 over Resistance in it's current build. It needs some serious work imo.

COD2 didn't even look that good and PDZ and Quake 4 both sucked so i'm not sure what your getting at.

Quake 4 was a fun rental. Cheesy but fun in it's own way. The deathmatch was pretty decent. My only complaint with the game was the frame rate drops. I wouldn't buy the game though. :) PDZ was complete crap though.

REV 09

i'm not going to sit here and say that i've played Resistance because i haven't. And i'm also not really going to base my opinion from people who have. I've seen the footage, all of it. I'm going to get a PS3, i don't like for games to fail...but Resistance simply looks bad in it's current build. The gameplay/AI/inspiration all just seem really weak to me.

i have spent a significant amount of time w/ the 3 360 titles that i've mentioned. I'd give Quake an 8. PDZ and COD both would receive a 9 from me. I understand and respect that some don't like the games i mentioned...but for the most part, i do. I could sit here and name problems will all 3 of these titles, it's just that in it's current build, Resistance has more of those problems...much more. This is all just my opinion about the current state of this title...if it turns out good, then my opinion will of course change.

Dante

Awesome, I can't wait to play this one online. Also excited to see if they get some crazy weapon designs a la Ratchet.

J-Rzez

mckmas8808 said:

I like the detail and look of the aliens... Plus, I like the "blood's been sitting there a lil while" look as oppossed to the fresh puddle stuff... gives it a gritty look...

As it's coming from Insomniac, I'm sure it's finished gameplay/AI/graphical polish will turn out just fine... Gameplay especially...

I'm not sure how someone can compare this to Quake/PDZ/CoD2... comparing a game in the works to finished product? Only CoD2 can be held up as an ok arguement that "It looks just as good as ___"... Quake = an Unreal Tournament + Doom love child abortion... PDZ contained some of the most horrid gameplay ever (felt so slow and looked so choppy, but neat techno in that one level)... CoD2 played pretty good, and looked nice too... But yeah... let's see what the finished product turns out to be like... I hope it's a good quality Insomniac title...

Vyer

The alien designs just don't work for me. I can't explain it, I guess they are supposed to be terrifying and all that, but they just look...lame. Like an 8th grader drew a monster on his notebook during English.

The physics should be impressive at least. If the AI isn't tightened up from the videos we've seen already, though, it won't matter much.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Is it just me or do the characters look like they were pasted into the scene, they just look really off IMO.

FiRez

REV 09 said:
the original xbox could come pretty close to this. Whoever hypes this game hasn't played many first person shooters. The 360 had 3 FPS titles at launch...Quake 4, COD2, and PDZ. I would take any of those 3 over Resistance in it's current build. It needs some serious work imo.

with the DS3 as a controller is going to be very sucky anyway

Nozi

Banned
lethial said:
Is it just me or do the characters look like they were pasted into the scene, they just look really off IMO.

The lighting is extremely flat.. there is also no ambient occlusion on the backgrounds so they look very fake.

Striek

No more defending this from me. Looks as ugly as CoD2 (or worse), but unlike that it doesn't look fun. No sale.

Striek

Nozi said:
Since when did CoD2 become ugly?
Its never been a pretty game. And as next-gen progresses, my standards increase. With all the other FPS media we have from E3, its pretty ugly now. BIA+RS+MOH+Halo+Crysis FTW.

Graphics look decent at best but Insomniac is not known for their technical prowess. I expect the gameplay to deliver, just like most of their previous efforts.

ha! i said before how generic it looks. the lighting look flat when Doom3 was impressive on DX8.

this is 30fps? must be teh physics animations!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Call of Duty runs at 60fps in both single and multi. and it was a port. This was built with PS3 hardware in mind and it runs at 30.fps in single player. By default, this should look better, but it doesn't

Striek

Nozi said:
I beg to differ

Eh, um, yeah, heres the CoD2 I played (actually I played it on PC, AA and some other stuff was significantly improved upon (although I have played the X360 version more than a few times too)):
1147276480.jpg

716_0005.jpg

--
716_0001.jpg

1128116213.jpg

I was probably hard on Resistance after going back and looking at some shots, but my point stands, CoD2 is ugly and Resistance is as well. I can't imagine why you're trying to defend CoD2. It is not a looker and it CERTAINLY doesn't look like what you posted.

PS: The first two screens were officially released in May, 2006 and show off the Xbox360 DLC! So theres no trickery involved. It is ugly. You people are dreaming. And now I sound like I'm damage-controlling, thanks alot Nozi :(

Dante

Um, I played Resistance at E3 I know how it looks. I also know how COD2 looks and it looks nothing like the shot you posted.

I just grabbed the first shot off google, here's one non "pre release demo"
callofduty2.jpg

Borys

Banned
:( This was my #1 of the launch titles, I guess Warhawk's on foot missions will have to make up for this.

PS2-like textures on the ground?

Trash, Crysis FTW.

Nozi

Banned
Dante said:
Um, I played Resistance at E3 I know how it looks. I also know how COD2 looks and it looks nothing like the shot you posted.

That's from Call Of Duty 1 you idiot :lol :lol

Yeah, sure you know how COD2 looks.

All we know now is how you troll, and that you lie. Go back to your cave

Dante said:

callofduty2.jpg

preserved. :lol

Dante

Like I said I am just grabbing random shots off Google. Streiks shots look equally as bad, and nothing like the pic you posted.

Top Bottom