• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Prepare for a Spicy Food Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to try this spicy chicken wing eating challenge. They're supposedly insanely spicy. (The waiter said the most common outcome is that the person will eat 3 and then either quit or throw up.)

The rules seem pretty standard:

* 10 minutes to eat 10 wings
* No napkins, you have to lick your fingers clean
* No drinking or eating anything else
* After finishing the 10 wings, you have to sit there for 5 more minutes with no food or drink

So, any tips on how to prepare for it? I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Eating spicy foods throughout the week leading up to it
2. Drinking milk before the challenge
3. Drinking Pepto before the challenge

Anything else you guys would suggest to make it more likely that I succeed?

CrankyJay

Banned
From Adam Richman...

1. Eat a bunch of bananas beforehand to coat your stomach.
2. Eat FAST.
3. ...and from me...DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
1. Make sure to tape this and post on Youtube afterwards.

That Pepto tip seems like it would be pretty good.

Leunam

CrankyJay said:
From Adam Richman...

2. Eat FAST.

I never would have thought of that one.

What is in the sauce? If they're using something like bhut jolokia (ghost chili) in it, there's nothing you can do to prepare for it. You are already dead, etc.

Haha, and yeah, for god's sake don't put your hands anywhere near your eyes until you've scoured your hands thoroughly.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Yeah the guy from Man v. Food just downs that shit as fast as possible. Didn't know about the banana thing.

edbrat

get all the wings and sauce in your mouth, not on your lips or on your face, this will only multiply your hell.

but yeah unless you have a ridiculously high natural tolerance of chilli or you're just a nutter, you have no chance. Also, film it and post link on GAF.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
coat your tongue with a layer of hot wax

35484_136x102_generated__FZNslGvsNEWURfN2IIl0pA.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Actually, something else I saw Adam do with a spicy wing challenge...he used his fingers to take all of the meat off the bones, and THEN ate the meat in one pass.

This does two things:

1. It will let you eat faster
2. It may help prevent the wings from touching your lips.

Bossun

CrankyJay said:
From Adam Richman...

2. Eat FAST.

Hey I would have same the same with oil or fish oil.

.la1n

Are you used to eating very hot and/or spicy food? If not then what you are attempting is going to be suicide on your insides. Adam probably has the best advice, coat your stomach by eating bananas. Also, as said DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

Iv'e dones several "challenges" for t-shirts and what not but I also enjoy eating spicy food in general.

Ferrio

Banned
joelseph said:
Who cares how many in what time, it all depends on how spicy the wings are.

Exactly. You could have a single wing that could bet hotter than 18 other wings combined.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
What is in the sauce? If they're using something like bhut jolokia (ghost chili) in it, there's nothing you can do to prepare for it. You are already dead, etc.

Haha, and yeah, for god's sake don't put your hands anywhere near your eyes until you've scoured your hands thoroughly.
I believe this is it, yeah. (Unless there are other "ghost chilis" out there).

Is there anything I can do to prevent a terrible time digesting it?

And thanks for the ripping the meat off tip (and the banana tip). I think that's really good.

So what's your strategy? You have to eat them as quickly as possible, right?

Also, are you allowed to strip the meat using your hands? If so, I would do that to minimize the amount of time sauce has to touch your mouth/lips/face. There's not that much meat/fat/skin on 10 wings, so you could probably strip it all in 5 minutes and eat it all in 2 (if not faster).

Practice eating/stripping non-spicy wings just to get the speed part down.

Edit: beaten on the stripping strategy...

CrankyJay

Banned
crisdecuba said:
And thanks for the ripping the meat off tip (and the banana tip). I think that's really good.

No problem. Just keep an eye on the clock, taking all the meat off the bones can take up half your time.

goober

Adam Richman wore latex gloves for some spicy wing challenges.

Are you competing against other people, or just the clock?

I think the best way to prepare is to start eating peppers on a daily basis... so, that way, next year you would have the stomach of a mexican!

I have been eating chiles all my life, and you get used to it gradually... in fact, I can't enjoy food if it's not spicy.

But, eat raw peppers or salsa... not processed Tabasco-like sauces and stuff.

Try with the basic... jalapenos, serranos, etc.. and then move gradually to spicier chiles.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
If you are used to hot/spicy food, it will suck, but you will be fine. I would just eat normally some spicy shit a few days before. Then eat 2 banana's before, don't touch your face with your hands or your forearm and have a glass of Milk ready for when your 5 minutes are up. That and some pepto.

Good luck. Post picks.

Dunk#7

Fernando Rocker said:
hahaha... USA-Whiteys!

I literally eat raw habaneros with some of my meals.

You also now have less sensitive taste buds.

Eating hot stuff over a long period of time raises your tolerance by damaging your taste buds.

I love spicy foods, but I try not to go too far with it.

The hottest thing I have ever tasted: Blair's Jersey Death Sauce

Blair%27s%20Jersey%20Death%20Sauce.jpg

It is listed at 1,100,000 scoville units. (Tabasco only has 2,000) (Habanero peppers only have 100,000 to 350,000)
http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

goober said:
Adam Richman wore latex gloves for some spicy wing challenges.

Are you competing against other people, or just the clock?
Just competing against the clock.

So is it at all beneficial to prep by eating really spicy regular food during the week?

I don't think I can wear latex gloves though.

Also, I've seen some videos online of people eating the peppers themselves - how does that compare to eating chicken wings cooked in it?

clav

You're going to have some burning stomach/gastro pain and diarrhea after that contest.

Some Koreans and Chinese love eating extra extra spicy foods. I don't know how they can handle that kind of stuff.

I overheard at a family that ordered extra spicy sundubu at a Korean restaurant once, and they all finished it.

They were talking about the meal aftwards, and one of them said, "Eating this wasn't so bad. My tongue hurt a lot at first, then it became numb the more I ate it, so then I could actually finish it."

I just don't understand. The thought of stomaching extra spicy chili is revolting.

where are you doing this at?

I did this at the place Adam Richman did, before it changed its name to Smoke Eaters in San Jose. Shit is fucking unappetizing because it's more pasty than saucy.

I ate HALF a wing and ran next door to a grocery store and tried to down a half gallon of milk......or what actually turned out to be GOAT'S MILK. I proceeded to puke all night long, unsure if it was from the hot wings or the goat's milk.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Learn how to properly eat/debone the wing park so you can down them in one bite and not fight with gnawing at them like an idiot. General rule, but when time is a factor even more so.

You pretty much have the right idea with #1, except you need to make sure whatever you eat isn't just spicy, but "OMFG I'M DYING" hot. Then after you get through that pain, you put yourself through it a few more times until it becomes only mild discomfort. Once this is accomplished, you will pretty much be invincible, at least when it comes to the mouth. You will still probably feel like shitting yourself afterwards and have to make a mad dash to the nearest toilet. I know this from experience. :/ (the video I linked above is a friend and I, with me being the one on the right)

JoshDigi

Neo Member
Definitely tear all the meat off and then eat it. Then shove it all in your mouth quickly because it takes a good 30 seconds for your body to fully register how hot it is. Spicy foods give you an adrenaline boost so power through it and don't stop. Try not to breath in through your nose when the food is close to your face because the smell of ghost chilis alone can be unpleasant.

This thread reminds me, I'm in desperate need of a new hot sauce. Da Bomb is a fucking joke in the sense that it's simply too hot and has no real taste. I need something like Sriracha but maybe twice as hot would be good for me.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom