• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft announcing Indie self-publishing for Xbox One this week at BUILD?

ekim

Update 2:
There is hope left:
http://youtu.be/qdpAM4GV6oU

Steven Guggenheimer just hinted at something in the Build livestream for tomorrow.
Quote (not accurate):
Interviewer: "What about XNA?"
Guggenheimer: "We will talk about games tomorrow at the keynote - I won't say XNA. We will have something that you will like... let's tease it that way"

might be related to this:
untitled0goh8.png

May not be about self publishing - new thread : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604881

Update:
Keynote is over. Nothing regarding this matter was announced.

Btw - there is a keynote which will probably be livestreamed on Wednesday 6pm GMT+2.
http://build-berlin-2013.eventbrite.com/#

http://www.buildwindows.com
Build begins tomorrow (sessions on Wednesday) but unfortunately there is no public agenda about the sessions yet but the following tweets spiked my interest about the conference.

untitledhhksd.png

untitled0goh8.png

My guess - the W(P)8 game store will allow to also publish games to Xbox One and thus support self-publishing. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik it's possible to self publish on the W8 marketplace)

Amir0x

Banned
Yes, keep on capitulating Microsoft to return to the fold. Now all you need is an announcement guaranteeing you will never return to those DRM policies and a $100 price reduction and I might be able to jump in earlier!

V_Arnold

Yes, keep on capitulating Microsoft to return to the fold. Now all you need is an announcement guaranteeing you will never return to those DRM policies and a $100 price reduction and I might be able to jump in earlier!

Do not make promises you cant keep...
Even if those are the best kind

It's just a matter of time either way. Phil Spencer made it sound like they're open to Self Publishing but they didn't have a plan to announce yet.

Will those games be trapped in the Windows VM with all the limited access to hardware that entails? That's the real question in my mind.

Alx

My guess - the W(P)8 game store will allow to also publish games to Xbox One and thus support self-publishing. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik it's possible to self publish on the W8 marketplace)

The way I understand it, the Xbox One separates "games" applications (having access to 5G RAM and a big part of the hardware), and "apps" (that run on part of the remaining 3G, and may have less hardware support).
So if indie games are supported through the app market, we shouldn't expect them to be as advanced as regular XBLA games. It could be enough for many of them, though.

Quasar

http://www.buildwindows.com

Thats something I've really wanted to see. An open marketplace like we have on tablets and phones. Well more open than on consoles. And that alone would comvince me to buy a xbone.

Pooya

Pretty sure anyone can publish on Windows Store, you have to pay a very very small fee to get in. If One uses same framework and can run the very same apps you wouldn't need a One devkit either.

Problem is, if it's like how it is on PC. These apps and games have access to very limited system resources. While there are some UE3 powered games up there even, I don't think more resource intensive indie games would work. Something like Daylight for example. It won't make everybody happy... that's what I mean. Could be something else they announce though and that it's different than Windows 8.

LTWheels

If they have a system where creating a Windows 8 app also lets you create a Xbox One version at the same time would be very smart. The Xbox One does have that Windows OS as one of the 3 operating systems.

Out of interest, would porting a Windows indie game to Xbox One be easier than PS4, given the similar dev environment and DirectX support? Or would it make no real difference in reality?

That is crazy talk no company will do that.
Don't make promise you probably wont keep.

They can't go back to DRM policies with next gen.
What they can do is attract people to the digital future
and push it more then retail shops.
Aka something like steam which from what i heard is what ps4 and X1 are doing right now.

Do hope they give people access to the Game OS or atleast full hardware access. Release something like WinRT like it is on wp8.

Acheteedo

It's the only logical thing to do at this point, even Nntendo did this.

Nintendo.

Haha, cracked me up.

They would be boneheads not to allow it. There's literally no downside, they can portion out another part of the dash if they're worried about clouding up the other content.

This is major for me, the lack of self-publishing was my major complaint about the Xbone.

Paz

A month ago their stance on my game was that it was not the kind of indie game they want for XBox. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Heh Sony's lead is slowly becoming smaller and smaller.

$100 cheaper is a massive advantage.
That is like 1 year of psn+ and live plus a cod, BF4 other launch game.

A month ago their stance on my game was that it was not the kind of indie game they want for XBox. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Didn't homogenize the marketplace with the X1 so no distinction between AAA releases, XBLA titles, indie titles or apps.

Alpende

Heh Sony's lead is slowly becoming smaller and smaller.

It's not good for a company to say one thing first and then change their entire strategy three weeks later. I'm still going to switch to Sony. Microsoft has made a joke of themselves as a company, they clearly lack vision. I have no faith in them at all anymore.

I believe Sony still has a big lead.

wwm0nkey

They really must not repeat the same mistakes that they did with XNA/XBLIG. XBLIG could have been good and has some really good games on it but those games are limited due to XNA and restrictions of XBLIG not to mention all the....well honestly shit games on the service too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I feel like this is probably false, but to be fair I thought it was probably false that MS would change their DRM policies too.

Also, I don't see how MS removing all the crappy stuff is anything other than laudable. Some people seem to think 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' is a good rule of thumb?

I expect announcement of kinectless SKU next week and PS+ program for the bone the week after.

Can certainly see them doing a PS+ system for the Bone but they ain't never gonna give up on Kinect since that sucker's worth billions in R&D and it's in their business interest to get it in homes, PRISM be damned (And will probably will have gone away by release time, anyway).

Though considering what hackers were doing with Kinect 1,0, opening 2.0 up to indie studios just might be the boost it needs to get traction as an accompaniment for gaming rather than bodywaggle since you could probably get some more blue sky thinking going on with indies rather than big studios.

Toki767

Kind of astounding that the company that was doing a lot of forward thinking stuff at the start of the current gen is now just catching up to the status quo. Did they have a change in leadership behind the scenes that we don't know about?

Acheteedo

It's not good for a company to say one thing first and then change their entire strategy three weeks later. I'm still going to switch to Sony. Microsoft has made a joke of themselves as a company, they clearly lack vision. I have no faith in them at all anymore.

Honestly, does anyone actually care, provided the change is for the better? Even those that claim to care will forget in a few weeks. Consumers have been shown to be readily forgetful, RROD and the PSN hack made this a cold, hard fact.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
They might announce something but there's no way they are ready to actually do anything this year if this is all a reaction to E3.

wrowa

I hope they are doing this, since it really is for the good of the gaming community at large, but dammit, this is becoming ridiculous. Microsoft's Xbox One strategy is turning out to be a total clusterfuck. Less than half a year until launch and they are completely abandoning their original plans.

strata8

I hope they are doing this, since it really is for the good of the gaming community at large, but dammit, this is becoming ridiculous. Microsoft's Xbox One strategy is turning out to be a total clusterfuck. Less than half a year until launch and they are completely abandoning their original plans.

Where did Microsoft officially announce their policies towards indies for the Xbox One?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Better now than a year after launch.

They might announce something but there's no way they are ready to actually do anything this year if this is all a reaction to E3.

You dont announce stuff like XNA on E3. Given the rumors how microsoft tools were running behind ps4 tools. I bet we probably wont see a proper XNA2.0 until next year GDC.

The way I understand it, the Xbox One separates "games" applications (having access to 5G RAM and a big part of the hardware), and "apps" (that run on part of the remaining 3G, and may have less hardware support).
So if indie games are supported through the app market, we shouldn't expect them to be as advanced as regular XBLA games. It could be enough for many of them, though.

they got rid of XBLA though. Everything is just games now.

Sendou

Until MS drops the price by $100 and somehow manages to fit in 8GB of GDDR RAM within the next few months, then no.

See this is what you say now! Let's see you people begging for forgiveness from the Microsoft god of gaming when PS4 gets CoD: Ghost DLC map packs a month later (each)...

0xCA2

This is what I thought they'd do before the XBO was revealed. I was kinda disappointed when they didn't announce this, or something like this. It'd be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Where did Microsoft officially announce their policies towards indies for the Xbox One?

I think he was referring to the head of Microsoft Games Studios recently saying that nothing would change from the 360 (i.e they won't support self publishing).

Top Bottom