• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

that's racist
Kappa
No one else good plays white Marth anyway. There was like, G$ and Husband and... that's it.

Doesn't Moon also go dark side Marth if he makes it to GF anyway? I think I heard that once, but haven't watched a tournament where he makes it that far.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that pretty much everybody agrees Leffen is above M2K and even Hbox. I can definitely see it though.

And I really agree with doing more streams, or at least recordings. Tons of great bracket matches get "lost" at basically every tournament because many don't get recorded at all.

emb

Interesting that pretty much everybody agrees Leffen is above M2K and even Hbox. I can definitely see it though.
I think so for sure. Hbox has had a weak showing most of the past year (aside from Evo and Paragon). M2K usually chokes against any of the other big 5 (seems ok vs Mango, all the others I wouldn't bet on him). I'm surprised he lost to Leffen directly though.

Peltz

Basically, look for "Shroomed" on Youtube. Also, HomeMadeWaffles. Both have switched now to other characters though, so you might need to look for older results. Fake edit: Actually, don't use just Youtube, try on vods.co for Doc matches too.

Looks like I have the right idea. I'd love to test my skill against some vets. I'm sure I'll get creamed, but it'd be fun.

I've been watching Shroomed but when the videos are only 30fps I feel like I'm missing a lot of information as a spectator. He's definitely a very tight player though. There's zero downtime the way he plays, everything is so efficient.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What are some other folks opinions on the Smash GC controllers? Are they the same as the white ones?

I use mine exclusively now, not sure if it is just because my other controllers are worn out, but the stick on the new one feels a lot better. Triggers don't, I feel like I'm pushing them at a bad angle most of the time so they feel "rough" to push. Sometimes it feels like it jams a bit and clicks loudly when I mash it.

Short hopping is my bane I swear to god. Seems like one in eight tries at jumping ends up being an unwanted full jump, it's not only annoying while practicing SHFFL and stuff, but embarrassing during a match. For being such a basic, intended maneuver I don't see why it was made so difficult to do. Three god damn frames in my character's case.

Also trying to move exclusively to using the C stick for directional aerials.

emb

What are some other folks opinions on the Smash GC controllers? Are they the same as the white ones?

I use mine exclusively now, not sure if it is just because my other controllers are worn out, but the stick on the new one feels a lot better. Triggers don't, I feel like I'm pushing them at a bad angle most of the time so they feel "rough" to push. Sometimes it feels like it jams a bit and clicks loudly when I mash it.

Short hopping is my bane I swear to god. Seems like one in eight tries at jumping ends up being an unwanted full jump, it's not only annoying while practicing SHFFL and stuff, but embarrassing during a match. For being such a basic, intended maneuver I don't see why it was made so difficult to do. Three god damn frames in my character's case.

I feel like they're the same, just new. Couldn't say for sure, I've only used the new one a little. I had the triggers do something similar on my white one from circa 2010; after a while it felt like I could press the triggers wrong and get it kinda stuck.

The way you describe short hopping reminds me of how I am with fast falls. I forget/miss the timing all the time (and especially on fh or dj aerials), and it leaves me missing combos and lookin' dumb, lol.

Peltz

I opened 3 brand new White controllers from Japan and the Smash GC controller the day SSBWU came out and could discern absolutely no difference between them.

(I now have 8 GCN controllers altogether). Other than aesthetics, the Smash GC controller basically is the White controller you can get on Amazon for all intents and purposes as far as I can tell.

I bought 3 new GC controllers last year, two of the Smash ones and one white one from Japan. One of the Smash ones and the white one have a slight hitch I notice when I quickly press L, which has occasionally messed me up. The other Smash one feels like it has no issues to me. Other than the L button thing the other buttons and sticks feel great compared to my worn in GC controllers though the old ones are totally still useable. The newer analog sticks do seem to help with some precision techniques which is nice after all these years.

Anth0ny

Story time:

Unknown522 was the first person I played at a Melee tournament. It was just after the launch of Brawl in 2008. I was there for Brawl but entered Melee as well. He double 4 stocked my Marth with Mario (he's a Fox main). That was the day I truly learned how far this game could go. Of course, I had no idea at that time that he was one of the ELITE Toronto Melee players.

Speaking of elite Toronto players, a few months later, I played RaynEX in pools at a tournament. He went Fox against my Falco and I never felt so helpless playing Melee. That was the first time I played a real ass Fox. That shine pressure had me wanting to just put my controller down. Nothing could be done. I managed to take a stock off him, but he just murdered me. You don't know true fear until you face a high level technical Fox.

RaynEX will be at McSmashter tomorrow, along with other elite Toronto Melee players Weon-X and I.B. Hopefully Kirby Kaze can make it as well.

emb

The first person I ever played against at a Smash tournament was Dr. Peepee's little brother Twitch.

I know what you mean about feeling helpless against a real Fox. X_X

Tomohawk

Isn't there some kind of drama about KK not being able to enter the tournament because he didn't register in time?

Ya they talkedd about it on meleeitonme, supposedly when they got Armada to come after reg closed, KK wanted to go cause Armada was going, but TOs were like nope. Kinda dumb since they put it to community vote and didn't even listen to the results.

Daouzin

Ya they talkedd about it on meleeitonme, supposedly when they got Armada to come after reg closed, KK wanted to go cause Armada was going, but TOs were like nope. Kinda dumb since they put it to community vote and didn't even listen to the results.

Ah lame, I checked out the Melee it On Me episode today, but since I was at work I missed some decent chunks of it.

I hope Kage ends up in the finals, but I just don't see it happening, haha.

Tomohawk

Ah lame, I checked out the Melee it On Me episode today, but since I was at work I missed some decent chunks of it.

I hope Kage ends up in the finals, but I just don't see it happening, haha.
A man can dream!
I think he lost to IB and WeonX at the last big tourney, but they were close sets. I think its unlikely he'll be in GF but he has a good shot.

Anth0ny

I'm pretty happy with Canada's character diversity.

In Toronto alone, you have an elite Falcon (n0ne), Fox (RaynEx, Weon-X), Jigglypuff (Idea), Marth (I.B) and Sheik (Kirby Kaze). Then in Quebec we have probably the second best Peach (Vwins) and arguably the best Ganon (Kage). We're just missing a beast ass Falco.

Unfortunately, there's no one really gunning for that #7 spot right now, so when a god comes to town it gets pretty ugly (see yesterday). There was a time when Kirby Kaze was almost generally accepted to be the #6 player in the world. Unfortunately, he took a year long break and hasn't quite come back to his expected level of play yet :(

Daouzin

In Toronto alone, you have an elite Falcon (n0ne), Fox (RaynEx, Weon-X), Jigglypuff (Idea), Marth (I.B) and Sheik (Kirby Kaze). Then in Quebec we have probably the second best Peach (Vwins) and arguably the best Ganon (Kage). We're just missing a beast ass Falco.

Unfortunately, there's no one really gunning for that #7 spot right now, so when a god comes to town it gets pretty ugly (see yesterday). There was a time when Kirby Kaze was almost generally accepted to be the #6 player in the world. Unfortunately, he took a year long break and hasn't quite come back to his expected level of play yet :(

Yeah, that's a good diverse line up, but how does Kage compete to Eikelmann? Isn't bizarro flame's Ganon significantly better than Kage's?

Tomohawk

Yeah, that's a good diverse line up, but how does Kage compete to Eikelmann? Isn't bizarro flame's Ganon significantly better than Kage's?

Kage seems to be considered the best Ganon by a lot. Just look at his tournament placings when he goes to America. He hasn't been attending majors as much for a while since he's always gotten sick before them. I think he has a winning record against sfat who beats bizzaro regularly.

Kage seems to be considered the best Ganon by a lot. Just look at his tournament placings when he goes to America. He hasn't been attending majors as much for a while since he's always gotten sick before them. I think he has a winning record against sfat who beats bizzaro regularly.

while you're probably (maybe?) right, using transitive property is pretty lol

Tomohawk

while you're probably (maybe?) right, using transitive property is pretty lol

LOL, your definitely right, that was a pretty dumb example.

How bad is coaching in Melee? In Smash 4, its getting really obvious and annoying.

I see it a lot in streams, but its usually short. I feel like all the coaching should happen before the start of a match and then no one should be allowed to talk to the players. How ever that's unrealistic with limited staff.

JediLink

At least you have some notable players at all. Australia is the land of the free. Some of our best guys went to Apex and none of them made it out of pools.

Peléo

Kirbykaze did great in Apex though, didn't expect this performance.

I was impressed by Vwins as well, how ofteb does he travel to US and how does he usually do? I wonder why didn't Armada go Fox against Peach yesterday, this matchup was one of the reasons he changed mains. N0ne's style reminds me of Jeapie.

Anth0ny

Peléo;153272489 said:
Kirbykaze did great in Apex though, didn't expect this performance.

I was impressed by Vwins as well, how ofteb does he travel to US and how does he usually do? I wonder why didn't Armada go Fox against Peach yesterday, this matchup was one of the reasons he changed mains. N0ne's style reminds me of Jeapie.

Yeah, he's definitely getting back to his greatness. But there was a period of time a few years back where he was capable of taking sets off Hbox and PPMD.

He used to go to school with me. And I used to take game off him.
his Pichu. with my Marth

Vwins doesn't travel to the US as much as he used to. In fact, it's been a while since he's shown up to a Toronto tournament. He's probably top 20 in the world, but still at that level where he just gets demolished by the gods.

Armada probably didn't go Fox because he knows he's still the best Peach in the world... by far. He's not losing the ditto matchup anytime soon. I think his Fox is more for the Fox and Puff matchups, which can get very difficult for Peach at the top level.

emb

List of Australian smashers that anyone outside of Australia has ever heard of:
  • Caotic
I hope Australia players manage to break out soon. I love seeing high level players from different countries. It's great seeing the game played on a global scale.

Is that one AU event still set to get Mango, Leffen, Wife, some others? Could help give the scene some exposure.
Man that M2K drunk stream and the drama that ensued is sure gonna come to bite him in the ass

Damn
lol, what happened?

I saw the start when he agreed to drink for every 2 subs; not surprised if it ended poorly.

JediLink

I hope Australia players manage to break out soon. I love seeing high level players from different countries. It's great seeing the game played on a global scale.

Is that one AU event still set to get Mango, Leffen, Wife, some others? Could help give the scene some exposure.
Yessir. BAM7 in May. If a $1000 rematch between two of the gods doesn't get viewers, I don't know what will. I really wish I could go, but at the moment it's looking like I can't, so I'll be +1 to the stream at least. :/

EDIT: Oh, just realised something! Nova! You know, that guy that has more money than he knows what to do with. He's Australian too.
EDIT2: And he donated $20,000 to the EVO donation drive so he's totally the one that saved Melee. Sorry Anth0ny.

lol, what happened?

I saw the start when he agreed to drink for every 2 subs; not surprised if it ended poorly.

I think he ended up giving out Mango's phone # on stream, or drunk dialed him or something. I was watching but also playing Monster Hunter so I ended up missing what happened exactly, but yeah pretty bad manners if he put Mango's # on stream.

Tripon

I think he ended up giving out Mango's phone # on stream, or drunk dialed him or something. I was watching but also playing Monster Hunter so I ended up missing what happened exactly, but yeah pretty bad manners if he put Mango's # on stream.
Both happened. Although the first thing is what going to get him into serious trouble.

FZZ

Banned
lol, what happened?

Basically M2K drunk called Mang0 and his gf in the beginning of the stream, nothing happened since his gf picked up and M2K was just saying random shit like "Mang0 Jr. is going to be really good one day" etc. They were having a good time.

Fast forward to the end of the stream he tried drunk calling them again and when he called both of them, the call went to voice mail and you know how if you don't have a voice mail set up it just reads your number? Well that's what happened and M2K was too drunk to notice, and his friends weren't paying that much attention either cause they were trying to get him to bed. Anyways Mang0 wasn't as mad as his gf, but they both had to change their numbers, and M2K will most likely get a lot of shit from the community.

0xCA2

Note: Lauren said Mang0 told her he basically doesn't use his phone for anything, whereas she was waiting on callbacks for jobs and had a whole bunch of things tied up with her phone.

I just hate the implication on reddit that Lauren is just being "a bitch" or "overreacting" just because Mang0 doesn't seem to care as much.

FZZ

Banned
Note: Lauren said Mang0 told her he basically doesn't use his phone for anything, whereas she was waiting on callbacks for jobs and had a whole bunch of things tied up with her phone.

I just hate the implication on reddit that Lauren is just being "a bitch" or "overreacting" just because Mang0 doesn't seem to care as much.

Yeah Lauren's case is much worse which is why she is a lot more mad. Also since she blocked M2K he doesn't have a clue what happened and is still focusing on the Darkrain issue rather than issuing a better apology to Lauren and Mang0. The only tweets M2K can see are the ones where Mang0 is mildly chillax about it and none of the ones where Lauren explains why she is so pissed off.

The whole thing is just a mess lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The M2K/Darkrain thing looks really dumb. I think the TO made the right decision, and it's kind of scummy for M2K to defame Darkrain like he did. Shouldn't have tried to mess with the bracket in the first place though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
what's this M2K/Darkrain thing about?

Looks like M2K asked Darkrain to play best of 5 instead of best of 3. Darkrain kind of halfass-agreed by saying not if he won the best of 3, but they went with the 5 games anyway.

Darkrain won 2/3, but M2K came back and won their 3/5. Darkrain reported to the TO that they played a 3/5 and M2K won. The TO asked who won the best of 3 they were supposed to play, so he said he won. So Darkrain was considered the winner of the set since you can't use gentleman's agreement to change the game count for the set. Now M2K has started spouting off about how Darkrain bullshitted him so he could win the set, and basically everyone is telling him he's exaggerating and overreacting (since he came back from losers and won anyway, I think).

Top Bottom