• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Elebits was renamed Eledees in Europe... (probably)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I could be wrong, but it could be because of this spanish cartoon:

Edebits

Here's a description from the site:

The cartoon tells all about the entertaining adventures of Bet and her five friends, the edebits, tiny intelligent beings who live in her computer.

Through her adventures we will know about life in Antarctica and the universe to be found inside computers. Two worlds, ecological and technical, close to children’s interests.
Edebits is a “white” serial, kind, with funny tips and without surly items. A balanced edutainment between educating and entertaining.

So, Konami could have change the name in order to avoid an action for trademark violation, or something.

Therefore, we europeans are stuck with that crappy name because of an equally crappy cartoon.

I just thought you'd like to know. :p

yilmazz

nofilter said:
'Bits' is a naughty word in, er, German or something, too. Not sure where.

No, it's not. At least not in German.
Also I don't think that Eledees is a worse name than Elebits.

deepred

nofilter said:
'Bits' is a naughty word in, er, German or something, too. Not sure where.

I think that you're refering to French actually. But we're used to it anyway. "16-bit" used to make us laugh in the early 90s. But that's over.

nofi

deepred said:
I think that you're refering to French actually. But we're used to it anyway. "16-bit" used to make us laugh in the early 90s. But that's over.

Ah, apologies for my ignorance. I knew it was something, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
deepred said:

I've been bilingual my whole life (although admitedly Québecois french and not Parisian french), and I've never heard "bit" used in a way that would get a chuckle out of me. What does it mean?

Mr_Moogle

Dizzan said:
E"leb"its

Leb is a naughty word in Australia

I see what you did there.

cronulla_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

deepred

Stumpokapow said:
I've been bilingual my whole life (although admitedly Québecois french and not Parisian french), and I've never heard "bit" used in a way that would get a chuckle out of me. What does it mean?

How do you call in French the thing between your legs (I assume you're a man) ?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Totalriot said:
Speaking of naughty words.. What was the name of the car again which means wanker in spanish? :lol

Honda released a car in Scandinavia which was called "Honda Fitta". The only problem there is that "fitta", in swedish, means cunt. Yeah, they renamed it ASAP.

As far as Elebits goes, I don't think Eledees is that much of a disaster.

I don’t know why companies bother! just ‘cause it is offensive in one location does not mean everyone cares. Just let some people laugh and the rest be oblivious…

…SEGA!!!!

Ranger X

"bit" written "bite" in french (pronounced the same as in english) is a slang for "penis".

And in french you can even make a sentence with the title

"E LE BITS" you can make

"Et les bites" wich means "And the dicks"

SlayrUK

I thought it was a play on LEDs (Eledees).. not sure why that would warrant a European rename, but thats what I associate the name with anyway!

Diablos54

SlayrUK said:
I thought it was a play on LEDs (Eledees).. not sure why that would warrant a European rename, but thats what I associate the name with anyway!
That's exactly what I thought too. L-E-D's.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ranger X said:
"bit" written "bite" in french (pronounced the same as in english) is a slang for "penis".

And in french you can even make a sentence with the title

"E LE BITS" you can make

"Et les bites" wich means "And the dicks"

Actually, you can even say "Hé, les bites" with "Elebits". It means "Hey, you dicks!"

See? We French are ze funny lot.

Top Bottom