• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy trolling GameStop with Trade-In Advertissement.

BY2K

Membero Americo
wO4Qw.jpg

This is priceless.

using your competitors branding etc never strikes me as a good idea. obviously Best Buy are the bigger store here, but obviously they aren't the number 1 place to trade in games yet, or they wouldn't be doing it.

nothing screams 'we're number 2!' more than that kind of crap.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If you're going to trade, why wouldn't you trade at Best Buy. They give more, and even if they didn't I'd put a higher value on a $25 Best Buy credit than Gamestop, just because there's a lot more to buy.

If you're going to trade, why wouldn't you trade at Best Buy. They give more, and even if they didn't I'd put a higher value on a $25 Best Buy credit than Gamestop, just because there's a lot more to buy.
Yeah Best Buy rocks, I got like $200 in credit not too long ago, I imagine I would have gotten half that from GS. Also it's nice because you can look up prices online, ahead of time.

Somnid

And because Best Buy has actual sales on new products. I got No More Heroes 2 for $8 yesterday and Nintendogs + Cats for $10 the week before at Best Buy. Both would be $20-$30 used at Gamestop.

SykoTech

They'r really getting aggressive with this, huh? There was some generic flash animation thing on YouTube slamming GameStop which Best Buy was sponsoring as well.

Valnen

Demeaning? Soldier dude, master chief dude, and barbarian dude are all pretty funny to me.

It's sort of like when Hollywood puts a "video game" in a movie and they make it look like we're still playing primitive games from the 70's on our new consoles. That kind of demeaning.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Toys R Us, Amazon, and K-Mart always have way better deals than either.

BestBuy to me, is always crowded. Don't know if that's changed or not.

It's sort of like when Hollywood puts a "video game" in a movie and they make it look like we're still playing primitive games from the 70's on our new consoles. That kind of demeaning.

I don't get it. Are you saying no one makes games about space marines, soldiers, or barbarian warriors anymore?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to sound stupid when I say this, but I had NO idea I could trade games in at Best Buy. How do I do this??? I would go here forever instead of Gamestop.

Developers: Stop pirating our game and buy new :/
Developer's children: our tummies are empty

I'm going to sound stupid when I say this, but I had NO idea I could trade games in at Best Buy. How do I do this??? I would go here forever instead of Gamestop.
They should have a counter set up in the games section, just roll back there. Check trade in value here before you go:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/Trade-in-Games/pcmcat232900050010.c?id=pcmcat232900050010

They give you a BB gift card with the balance.

You usually get an extra 40% or so if you preorder certain games at the time of trade in, but you can always cancel that preorder down the road... Hint hint.

I thought the main problem with trading stuff in at Gamestop was their terrible trade-in values. If Best Buy's are better, they should advertise that. I thought people who had games to trade in are gamers, and tend to want new games. Does anyone really care about trading games in toward a dishwasher or whatever?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't get it. Are you saying no one makes games about space marines, soldiers, or barbarian warriors anymore?

LOL, but actually, it's more like this:

Hollywood still thinks most hardcore video games are based around isolated levels, beating the game by getting a high score, and having a limited stock of lives after which "game over" sends you back to "the first level". Most writers see games like GTA where a character is wandering around an open world but don't grasp the implications of that. They think it's still a level or stage they're seeing, with a specific end point, after which "level 2" loads.

It's really just pop culture / the mainstream being 10 years behind nerdy stuff, which is nothing unusual. It does look really dumb tho to anyone who actually plays contemporary video games.

Hollywood does grasp online first person shooters (aka murder simulators) but then, there's not a lot about Deathmatch to misunderstand. And Doom had that in the early 90s.

Kwixotik

I don't understand why people trade in games at all. You get like 4-5x more money selling on ebay and you can use that money anywhere.

LOL, but actually, it's more like this:

Hollywood still thinks most hardcore video games are based around isolated levels, beating the game by getting a high score, and having a limited stock of lives after which "game over" sends you back to "the first level". Most writers see games like GTA where a character is wandering around an open world but don't grasp the implications of that. They think it's still a level or stage they're seeing, with a specific end point, after which "level 2" loads.

It's really just pop culture / the mainstream being 10 years behind nerdy stuff, which is nothing unusual. It does look really dumb tho to anyone who actually plays contemporary video games.

Hollywood does grasp online first person shooters (aka murder simulators) but then, there's not a lot about Deathmatch to misunderstand. And Doom had that in the early 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghb_ZXg4E-0

Top Bottom