• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I admit to being disappointed that it isn't a single player focused game with solid online component. It will however hopefully force me to become a better racer. I think they should have a lobby option for those without a wheel to face off, but, if I can place decently, I'll be happy regardless.

I'm wheel-less. It's just how I roll.

benzy

pphyrk.gif

GT fan since first game and proud graphics whore. Not that I wasn't considering it before, but this is making the prospect of a PS4 Pro and PSVR even more tempting.

Made a few more GIFs...

q9qHPpo.gif

6ZAMzXh.gif

TCmJDo3.gif

QBA0sXU.gif

eGnEa4c.gif

e2RsVdp.gif

lol, this is it. It's a different direction for the series. They may go back to a single-player focused experience but only if this venture into online-competitive racing fails.

Buy it if you like it, don't if you don't.

didn't they say awhile back that they still are doing an actual "traditional" GT7?

farisr

didn't they say awhile back that they still are doing an actual "traditional" GT7?
They've been all over the place with the messaging before, just over the last year they've now been set on saying that this is could've been GT7 blablabla, making me hope it's more PR talk than an actual thing set in stone.

Haven't heard anything like that recently. When it was announced they tried to cut off ideas that it was a "prologue" saying it was "more than a prologue" which obviously made people think it was a prologue and there would be something soon after.

This is Kaz's dream for the GT series, it may be different to what some fans want, but an online competitive racer sponsored by the FiA is a fantasy for the producer of GT.

And that also means GT Sport relies on a healthy online community, Sony/Polyphony are going to be investing in this for a long time, unless it fails.

Many racing series has spoiled people into thinking that being inside a vehicle is like putting your ears right next to the exhaust.
Agree. The sounds you hear standing in front of a car is different than standing behind it or sitting in the driver seat.

While I know some will say "well duh"... threads have shown in the past that it isn't known to everyone.

They expect that other games have been truthful in that area, and they haven't.

Mobius 1

Probably just Kaz being fanciful. I doubt anything's set in stone.

I have a completely unsubstantiated hypothesis that while GT Sport is getting the foundation out there, another team at Polyphony is busy modeling content for GT7.

Since I know nothing, this is unlikely but it would be nice.

How is ghosting while racing online supposed to work? Is it a new feature or something?
I never raced online in Gran Turismo 5/6 so please excuse my ignorance.

Unknown?

I have a completely unsubstantiated hypothesis that while GT Sport is getting the foundation out there, another team at Polyphony is busy modeling content for GT7.

Since I know nothing, this is unlikely but it would be nice.
Why is this not good enough to be a GT7? It has beefy offline content only now instead of "drive slow car and make money to buy fast car" it's "we will teach you how to drive like a pro". It may have less cars but so did GT3.

farisr

Why is this not good enough to be a GT7? It has beefy offline content only now instead of "drive slow car and make money to buy fast car" it's "we will teach you how to drive like a pro". It may have less cars but so did GT3.
Let's not pretend like this game is offering something great for the offline crowd. This is an online focused title, traditional GT this is not. I wouldn't call what basically amounts to what the license tests and time trials in past GT games were as "beefy offline content". The whole offline career/tournaments/cups (which made up for the bulk of content) are missing. It may be good enough to be GT7 for folks interested in online and competitive racing, but for folks who loved the career/offline events, this is not even close to being a GT7 from the things they've said so far. GT3 still had a full career/offline progression even with a relatively low car count.

IKizzLE

I like the fact that PD have at least included a trans whine but damn it man, is anyone ever going to match Raceroom's trans effects and driveline flex simulation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kivw7bD-Mhc
One of these days....
This is what PD should be striving for. As market leader with unlimited time and money, this should be the floor for sounds. Well, seeing as how we still don't have a release date, there is still hope.

How is ghosting while racing online supposed to work? Is it a new feature or something?
I never raced online in Gran Turismo 5/6 so please excuse my ignorance.

Ghosting is basically the game attempting to figure out if a player is trying to ruin the game for others. An extreme example of this would be if someone were to get pissed or just simply decide to be a dick during a race and start driving in the opposite direction on a track with the intention of causing a head on collision. The game will notice this and the cars driving properly will just pass through the car driving in the opposite direction. Another example would be if someone were taking a corner too slowly with another car approach quickly, the game may read that and decide to ghost that slower car.

It's really just a way to try to make online races more enjoyable by taking out a common issue of players who want to ruin the experience. But since it's not a perfect, you also have that built in grading system that will reward or punish you for how you drive

gtsport-11s8u76.jpg

Let's not pretend like this game is offering something great for the offline crowd. This is an online focused title, traditional GT this is not. I wouldn't call what basically amounts to what the license tests and time trials in past GT games were as "beefy offline content". The whole offline career/tournaments/cups (which made up for the bulk of content) are missing. It may be good enough to be GT7 for folks interested in online and competitive racing, but for folks who loved the career/offline events, this is not even close to being a GT7 from the things they've said so far. GT3 still had a full career/offline progression even with a relatively low car count.

Do we really know how this new GT is meant to work? Sure, the new offline "career" is fundamentally just license test and trials, while the "sport" part contains the traditional Cups and Championships and is meant to be played online, but if we have the possibility to also play it offline with only AI as opponents, the difference from previous GTs would become much less substantial

We don't know fully what the career mode entails. Of course there will be the arcade mode for racing against any AI, in whatever conditions/tracks you want.

Do we really know how this new GT is meant to work? Sure, the new offline "career" is fundamentally just license test and trials, while the "sport" part contains the traditional Cups and Championships and is meant to be played online, but if we have the possibility to also play it offline with only AI as opponents, the difference from previous GTs would become much less substantial

I'm really interested in how the online progression works actually; if what PD did was essentially take the events and structure of a traditional GT career mode and transplant them into an online mode, then this could actually be pretty cool. Do we know if cars still have to be bought with credits? That's pretty much my biggest concern.

Gurish

The models are awesome, lighting is also great, but the environment is pretty weak, lots of low res or 2D objects like those ugly trees, a little disappointed by that.

Ghosting is basically the game attempting to figure out if a player is trying to ruin the game for others. An extreme example of this would be if someone were to get pissed or just simply decide to be a dick during a race and start driving in the opposite direction on a track with the intention of causing a head on collision. The game will notice this and the cars driving properly will just pass through the car driving in the opposite direction. Another example would be if someone were taking a corner too slowly with another car approach quickly, the game may read that and decide to ghost that slower car.

It's really just a way to try to make online races more enjoyable by taking out a common issue of players who want to ruin the experience. But since it's not a perfect, you also have that built in grading system that will reward or punish you for how you drive

gtsport-11s8u76.jpg

Got it, thanks.

gtsport-11s8u76.jpg

It does a pretty good job of it too from what I've seen in many online races, however i would hope they should give the option for people to turn it off in more serious online races were drivers arent intentionaly trying to ram each other off the road.

farisr

There is a reason why I keep on repeatedly saying "if they stick with what they've shown us" across my various posts. This delay may result in them changing around a few things, and I hope it does, but assuming or expecting it will is not a good idea until they say so, especially with the vastly different direction of this game that they seem to be determined to go towards.

Never assuming anything again after Street Fighter V's (lack of) arcade mode.

If they nail the online ranking system and sportsmanship ratings, then that will be enough for me to get enjoyment out of this game. Once you see what a driver rating/sportsmanship system does to improving the quality of online racing eg iRacing, you can't go back. I would love to have some wheel to wheel action online in GT. Sadly it seldom happened outside of GT5 GAF league races, and even then crashes were very common. They will also need to nail their PP system or whatever replaces it for non spec races.

cooldawn

I honestly think the general game being the same, with some exclusive features for the Scorpio is how MS is going to differentiate and push the Scorpio to the market. This is their console release strategy from now on, it is their "next gen" console, with every game still being playable on XB1. Even the Pro (which is basically regarded as a premium sku rather than a new console) is allowed to have enhanced features if devs choose to do so (like a game with 2 player splitscreen on PS4, is allowed to have 3-4 player splitscreen on Pro).

MS is going to be pushing the Scorpio a lot more than Sony did with the Pro. So I wouldn't be surprised (in the hypothetical case that they managed to develop the systems for FM7) that it would feature selectable ToD/weather conditions on XB1 (like GTSport is doing), while at the same time offering fully dynamic versions of those on Scorpio.
Yeah, I agree it would make sense.

However, we know Sony's perspective is that titles need to have feature parity. Dynamic time of day and weather constitutes challenging gameplay considerations so you couldn't mix a PS4 player with a PS4 Pro player...unless, and perish the though, they introduced lobby hoppers so track/car/conditions configurations are selectable from a list of evolving choices i.e. include dynamic and non-dynamic hoppers on the same online systems, some with 'PS4 Pro' only on them. I can't see Sony splitting a brand-new online infrastructure with it's associated costs to accommodate both player bases when they've been pushing a 'one fits all' message that covers the whole community. One that will have millions of players.

I think the same is true for Microsoft but their situation is fundamentally different. Dynamics have never been a part of the Forza Motorsport experience so this year presents an amazing opportunity for it to appear across both platforms but Scorpio's being the most effective of the two.

Turn 10 are absolutely aware of Kazunori Yamauchi's comments on the subject last year so to debut dynamics in Forza Motorsport 7 would be the most ideal for impact/bragging rights not only for visual prowess but for an evolving gameplay experience.

This reasoning was discussed during the GT5 era, and it is simply not true. If you're that concerned about breaking your thumbs, you should be equally concerned about breaking any part of your hands or wrists - the best option in that case would be to let go of the wheel entirely just before the impact. It's a bad idea to hold the wheel in such a bizarre fashion the entire time just in case of an accident. Typically, race car steering requires significant physical effort, and you need the best possible grip in order to maintain control. In many cases it would be essential to hook your thumbs around the rim simply to gain enough leverage to turn the wheel in a consistent fashion. Gripping the wheel properly means you're less likely to have an accident in the first place.

Search for racing onboards on YouTube - it is extremely rare (and very strange) to see anyone holding the wheel like that. And if you look for onboard crashes, you'll see most drivers don't even let go, and don't end up with broken thumbs.
Since Gran Turismo has a Driver Academy and it's associated with the FIA, would it not be right to show how racing drivers are trained (if that is the way they are trained, of course)?

Putty

I've come around fully to the whole online thing...and i can't wait to build my career...My wheel is ar the ready!

Top Bottom